Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 171653 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#99886 Sep 22, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"we KNOW this, we will NOT EVER know everything.
So give it a rest"
Not as long as you claim science does not need God to explain how everything came into existence.
Science can't explain.
Life
The universe
With out invoking magic.
That's rather big.
You write:
"Science can't explain.
Life
The universe
With out invoking magic.
That's rather big."

Like I said, we don't know it all at the same time....we're working on it.

Give it a rest.

You're knowledge base stopped 2,000 years ago.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#99887 Sep 22, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"we KNOW this, we will NOT EVER know everything.
So give it a rest"
Not as long as you claim science does not need God to explain how everything came into existence.
Science can't explain.
Life
The universe
With out invoking magic.
That's rather big.
Different subject....

By the way, what do you think of the recent discovery that humans and Neanderthals are blood relatives, and were sharing the earth for tens of thousands of years?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#99888 Sep 22, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>You are correcting Steven Hawkings not me. Rather bold.
I'm comfortable with my statement as-is, and I'm sure Steven Hawkings would agree with me.

As well would Stephen Hawking, the physicist.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#99889 Sep 22, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Different subject....
By the way, what do you think of the recent discovery that humans and Neanderthals are blood relatives, and were sharing the earth for tens of thousands of years?

We might have discovered there still is one, huh?

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#99890 Sep 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There has been no supercontinent during man's existence. Homo sapiens is only 200,000 years old as a species. Pangaea broke up 200 million years ago. Yes, there is some water in the mantle. The amount is debated. The claim of two oceans worth is not well supported at all yet.
Science claims we're 2000 thousand years old. That age is good only unless no older bones of homosapiens are found to push that date back. And to date one discovery after the next of bones have been pushing that date backwards into time for the last century.
Of Genesis, the writer continually refers to a single landmass no matter what you wish or decide to call it.
As to whether the earth has enough water to flood itself, I like to remember how science has stated absolutes till something new discovered proved the absolute thinking incorrect. Like the Scablands. Science minded people studying that region were absolutely firm in their thinking from what they saw was evidence that it took millions of years to be created. A new mind, a mind open to possibilities has more than proved the old theory totally wrong and totally incorrect.
Even if the earth had enough water to flood itself, that doesn't prove the Noah story correct. Certain closed minds seem to feel to even say the earth has a possibility to flood itself is saying the story of Noah is true. Really funny.

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#99891 Sep 22, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm comfortable with my statement as-is, and I'm sure Steven Hawkings would agree with me.
As well would Stephen Hawking, the physicist.
Actually it was Hawking that first said BH's could even even violate the some of the laws, so not only break down they fall apart.

But he took it back because other physicists arguing with him.
While some still contend Hawking was right about it to start with.
But all of us here with physics backgrounds know that physics laws
especially concerning GR break down in a singularity.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#99892 Sep 22, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, now I see you're back to exaggerated BS. You're forgetting those EXCEEDINGLY serious flaws in your claims:
1 - As global water height increases the volume of water increases in proportion. You are claiming underwater reservoirs are enough to account for this, but that would make a highly significant portion of the crust would be floating upon water. In reality it's floating on magma. This is especially problematic due to the pressures of keeping this water contained, plus the fact that temperatures increase the further down you go. Your water is now steam and ready to explode at near nuclear levels. Not surprisingly, science does not support this.
2 - There is no mechanism for a sudden convenient flood to occur at this time.
3 - Again, the heat created from moving literally billions of tons of water in mass (and possibly landmasses too) will turn the Earth into another sun.
4 - Noah's boat is only made of wood. What you need is the USS Enterprise.
5 - Noah's family is not genetically viable to repopulate the entire Earth. If the crew numbered 50 or more then you'd probably be okay, however no-one would be okay if they're all crispy-critters.
6 - You are still attempting to justify Goddidit with magic. You don't NEED evidence. Evidence is irrelevant to your position.
<quoted text>
It's my opinion that the writer purposefully described a flat Earth. But that's when I'm told we're not meant to take the Bible THAT literally. At this point all we have are our opinions on how it is "meant" to be interpreted. This pretty much invalidates it from being useful as either a historical or scientific document.
If you wish to believe in "that can't happen" phrases have at it. I like to have an open mind, possibilities are nice whether they deal with myth or fact.
Maybe you should visit this link. http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/06/23/...
The reporter quotes the work of this scientist. http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/oceanography/facu...

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#99893 Sep 22, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
The Ten-Percent Myth
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent...
Do we only use 10% of our brains?
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121112-do-w...
Ten percent of brain myth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_b...
Not. We don't use our full potential in creative thought. That's a simple fact. If we used 100% of our creative thought, the combustion engine would have been created thousands of years ago along with trips to the moon, mars and wherever else we wanted to go and we would have figured a way to make a device(s) to allow us to dive and stay as long as we wished in the deepest depths of any sea/ocean.
Know the difference and understand this difference. The brian for most functions at a 100% level. Creative thought works at less than a 10% level for any one individual. People like Da Vinci and Einstein were the exception to the 10%. And people like Da Vinci and Einstein are examples of what we all could/can be if we used our creative thought as they did. But it doesn't happen. Get it?

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#99894 Sep 22, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wish to believe in "that can't happen" phrases have at it. I like to have an open mind, possibilities are nice whether they deal with myth or fact.
Maybe you should visit this link. http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/06/23/...
The reporter quotes the work of this scientist. http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/oceanography/facu...
It is still a physical impossibility that water could cover the entire Earth to a depth over 29,000 ft above sea level.
It doesn't make any difference what you believe.
Water is only 0.02% of Earth. It is actually rare, but it is all on the surface, so it doesn't seem rare.

If all of Earth were flat , water would be cover the surface to a depth of 2.7 km. or about 9,000 ft.
Everest is 29,000 ft. There are over 100 mountains with heights of over 7,200 m (23,622 ft) above sea level, so you see the problem with saying a flood covered them all ?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#99895 Sep 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Actually it was Hawking that first said BH's could even even violate the some of the laws, so not only break down they fall apart.

But he took it back because other physicists arguing with him.
While some still contend Hawking was right about it to start with.
But all of us here with physics backgrounds know that physics laws
especially concerning GR break down in a singularity.
My point was •KNOWN• laws are broken. Physical properties of the universe with which we are not yet familiar and that we cannot yet explain, cannot be "broken laws".

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#99896 Sep 22, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Not. We don't use our full potential in creative thought. That's a simple fact. If we used 100% of our creative thought, the combustion engine would have been created thousands of years ago along with trips to the moon, mars and wherever else we wanted to go and we would have figured a way to make a device(s) to allow us to dive and stay as long as we wished in the deepest depths of any sea/ocean.
Know the difference and understand this difference. The brian for most functions at a 100% level. Creative thought works at less than a 10% level for any one individual. People like Da Vinci and Einstein were the exception to the 10%. And people like Da Vinci and Einstein are examples of what we all could/can be if we used our creative thought as they did. But it doesn't happen. Get it?
Sources for your assertions grasshopper?? Or is this just your 'gut feeling'?

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#99897 Sep 22, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If you will notice the scientist is not backed up by anyone, has no peer review paper in the journals, is just basically putting a 'hypothesis' out there.

You may be reading way too much significance into this story. It's a new assertion and it must have time to come to fruition...if it can.
spOko

Oakland, CA

#99898 Sep 22, 2013

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#99899 Sep 22, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>

With out invoking magic.
You do understand there is no such thing as magic, don't you??

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99900 Sep 22, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand there is no such thing as magic, don't you??
Christine O'Donnell turned me into a newt!
Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#99901 Sep 22, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>So, you are presenting your new-found knowledge to the science journals for peer review....right?
You don't like this?

You doubt these statements?
Level 1

Location hidden

#99902 Sep 22, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>What kind of phone do you have....so I can stay away from one like it.
iPhone
Level 1

Location hidden

#99903 Sep 22, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously not. Last time I checked the laws were still on the books.

:-)
In the QUOTE from Steven Hawkings
For him to explain the start of time he had to remove all the laws of physic for time to happen. Now seeing that you think you know more then him you feel free to explain time within the laws of physics. Hawkings needed magic for time to come into existence, what do you need?
Level 1

Location hidden

#99904 Sep 22, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>You write:
"Science can't explain.
Life
The universe
With out invoking magic.
That's rather big."

Like I said, we don't know it all at the same time....we're working on it.

Give it a rest.

You're knowledge base stopped 2,000 years ago.
Give what a rest?
Defending my belief when under attack?

Or just plane embarrassing science with facts.
Level 1

Location hidden

#99905 Sep 22, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Different subject....

What do you think of banana's sharing 50% of our DNA?

We must have been banana's at one time! LOL

Similar designs is evidence of a common creator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 min Jennifer Renee 12,653
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 4 min cathouse cowboy 6,043
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 5 min Princess Hey 141,157
Word association (Jun '07) 6 min andet1987 3,329
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 7 min middleman1 29,505
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 8 min Grace Nerissa 1,894
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 8 min andet1987 41,929
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 44 min Crying Shame 42,085
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Camilla 167,059
News How a Guy Got Banned From All Starbucks 2 hr beatlesinafog 21