Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“A Idiot Thinks Im Savoir Faire”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Paranoid That I Am Everywhere

#99673 Sep 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, human babies do know how to instinctively swim. they do so long before any teaching of that skill could be done. and now you are done...again...
You are an idiot.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/237480-can-...

As I stated. The "Mammalian diving reflex" in cool water stimulates them to hold their breath, ONLY in cool water.

As I said babies from around a month old continually move their arms and legs in water, on the floor, or being held in the air. "The Swimming Reflex" babies placed in water tummy-side down will move their arms and legs SIMULATING swimming.

Both the Mammalian diving reflex and The Swimming Reflex begin to disappear/fade or have disappeared/faded at or around six months of age.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99674 Sep 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot.
http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that...
http://www.livestrong.com/article/237480-can-...
As I stated. The "Mammalian diving reflex" in cool water stimulates them to hold their breath, ONLY in cool water.
As I said babies from around a month old continually move their arms and legs in water, on the floor, or being held in the air. "The Swimming Reflex" babies placed in water tummy-side down will move their arms and legs SIMULATING swimming.
Both the Mammalian diving reflex and The Swimming Reflex begin to disappear/fade or have disappeared/faded at or around six months of age.
yet my grandson was swimming without being taught. funny how the real world seems to disagree with your internet searches...

babies do, in fact, know how to swim instinctively. what animals do not?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99675 Sep 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still avoiding questions. When hitting your funny bone (ulnar nerve) and pulling away is that an instinct or a reflex? When getting hit in the knee(patellar reflex) and your leg kicks out is that an instinct or a reflex?
Can warm water drown a baby? If the Mammalian diving reflex is as you call it an "instinct" why does it not happen in warm water?
Because warm water is very very rare in nature. The body is reacting to the rate that heat is conducted through the skin.

The boundary line between reflex and instinct is probably on the fuzzy side. Just as so many other supposed hard lines in biology.

St. Croix valley

#99676 Sep 15, 2013
these babies look just like my grandson...swimming...

St. Croix valley

#99678 Sep 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
And even in your own video it says it last for only a few seconds. Being in the water for a few seconds is not swimming. And I did not see any newborns in there, did you? No they were older babies that constantly move their legs and arms as I stated.
My grandson set in his bouncy seat all day flailing his arms and legs about. He must have been AIR SWIMMING. LMAO What a dolt!
once they can make the muscle movements to swim they can do so. since my daughter had my grandson in the water since he was a baby he can swim like a pro now, he could at two. no one had to teach him, he just had to figure out how to use his muscles properly, like learning to walk. no one has to teach that to babies, they just learn it. instinctive.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#99679 Sep 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the god of the bible has been proven false. by the bible itself, the man-made book that created the god of abraham.
are your thought processes as twisted as your sentence structure?
lol...the god of the Bible has been proven false? Really? When did this trial take place? Did this god have a lawyer or did it represent itself? The fact this invisible god became visible for a court case proves it's very existence. You're a fricking fruit cake and twisted as a rope to boot in thought.
Let me be simplistic in words here. You can't prove the god of the Bible false any more than you can prove it correct. That 'god' is suppose to be invisible. You can't neither prove or disprove the existence of this invisible god dude. Get a fricking clue.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#99680 Sep 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>No, i don't think about it as it is patently false.
why do babies instinctively know to hold their breath underwater?
sorry charlie...
Patently false? where do you get your information? You do know that 'some' but not all babies ability to swim and not swallow water is directly connected to living in a bag in a female that's full of fluid correct? You did know that correct? Maybe you should research it. And not all babies swim. And not all babies hold their breath. So though it's 'instinct' for some it's not instinct for all.
And that's the end of your 'instinct' examples. If after birth the baby sat where it came out of a womb and the mother took off, that baby would soon be dead. Not a single survival instinct would help that infant live. If babies weren't taken care of for the first 12 months they would all die if left alone. Most animals (not all) know within a minute of birth to several days later how to survive and live on their own.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#99681 Sep 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...the god of the Bible has been proven false? Really? When did this trial take place? Did this god have a lawyer or did it represent itself? The fact this invisible god became visible for a court case proves it's very existence. You're a fricking fruit cake and twisted as a rope to boot in thought.
Let me be simplistic in words here. You can't prove the god of the Bible false any more than you can prove it correct. That 'god' is suppose to be invisible. You can't neither prove or disprove the existence of this invisible god dude. Get a fricking clue.
Perhaps it is a bit too much to say that the God of the Bible has been proven false. But the first two books of the Bible and many stories of the Old Testament have been shown to be false.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#99682 Sep 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
these babies look just like my grandson...swimming...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fbSCSHzXkrIXX
Wow

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#99683 Sep 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
And even in your own video it says it last for only a few seconds. Being in the water for a few seconds is not swimming. And I did not see any newborns in there, did you? No they were older babies that constantly move their legs and arms as I stated.
My grandson set in his bouncy seat all day flailing his arms and legs about. He must have been AIR SWIMMING. LMAO What a dolt!
The ability to instinctively hold their breath and try to surface using a coordinated arm and leg motion can't be denied though.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Patagonia

#99684 Sep 15, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Using real science how did everything come onto being.
How did God come into existence?

And don't tell me he was always there....that makes no sense at all.

And of course you reply with...."Well, the 'Big Bang' makes no sense either."

And I rely, "impasse."

Thing is, although we don't know it all, we have all the facts and in over 150 years fundamentalists have been unable to disprove evolution....and because it is a fact they never will

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#99685 Sep 16, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Whichever way you want to cut it, there is learned and unlearned behavior.

What you divide into instincts and reflexes are both unlearned and therefore somehow hardwired into the physiology.

On the other hand learned behaviors are gained through copying or instruction, etc. They are not expected to spontaneously arise in an individual who has not been exposed to them.

So what's the big deal?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#99686 Sep 16, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
The real science answer is we don't know.

The honest human answer is the same.

The phony religious answer is "It's God because admitting we don't know scares me"

St. Croix valley

#99687 Sep 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The ability to instinctively hold their breath and try to surface using a coordinated arm and leg motion can't be denied though.
yeah, babies are real uncomfortable in water huh?...not.

St. Croix valley

#99688 Sep 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps it is a bit too much to say that the God of the Bible has been proven false. But the first two books of the Bible and many stories of the Old Testament have been shown to be false.
i wouldn't say it is too0 much. the bible,(the only reference that creates this god) clearly show the god it creates to not be the infallible, perfect god they say he is. they cannot back up the god they tried to create. clearly a man-made myth.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#99689 Sep 16, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Using real science that is unknown and using current knowledge and the basic laws of the universe it is currently unknowable.

There is nothing to say that the visible universe was created from anything or nothing. The very laws that describe our understanding of universe we inhabit did not begin exist until 10^-34th of a second after the event.

Science and mathematics are working on expanding our knowledge and several theories have been introduced based on the mathematics of Dr Param Singh, at least one of those theories explains ALL the anomalies we can see in the visible universe.

So, real science is busy working on the problem that you love to pose, a problem that science and most assuredly religion can not yet understand but you are of course welcome to make guesses and proclaim them as “TRUTH” because that’s what your faith tells you to believe. The fact that this “TRUTH” is pure guesswork based on nothing but the superstitions of bronze age man seems to pass you by for some reason.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#99690 Sep 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
E=MC^2 shows that the god as depicted in revelation 19:6 (KJV) cannot exist in this universe at the same time as you.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#99691 Sep 16, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i wouldn't say it is too0 much. the bible,(the only reference that creates this god) clearly show the god it creates to not be the infallible, perfect god they say he is. they cannot back up the god they tried to create. clearly a man-made myth.
I have to knit pick here.

I do agree that there is no logical reason to believe in God. But you made the statement that the God of the Bible was "proved" not to exist. It is a huge jump to go from no proof of existence to proven not to exist. And don't forget there are at least 40,000 different "God of the Bible"'s. Are you going to prove all 40,000 different versions to be false?

Your position can be more than strong enough without overstating your case.

St. Croix valley

#99692 Sep 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to knit pick here.
I do agree that there is no logical reason to believe in God. But you made the statement that the God of the Bible was "proved" not to exist. It is a huge jump to go from no proof of existence to proven not to exist. And don't forget there are at least 40,000 different "God of the Bible"'s. Are you going to prove all 40,000 different versions to be false?
Your position can be more than strong enough without overstating your case.
yet don't all of those bibles attempt to create a god that is not in line with the god they actually describe?
I AM SIRIUS

Perris, CA

#99693 Sep 16, 2013
Yes there is no God. The first particles evolved until it formed its own consciousness. The universe makes more "sense" that way. So why even bother ask about the universe and how we got here. What a waste of time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
topix.com describe in one word (Apr '13) 14 min Fishy Face 145
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 15 min Sublime1 149,022
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 16 min -CatCiao- 17,420
what are you feeling right now? (Dec '08) 33 min -CatCiao- 1,159
True or False Game 39 min Fishy Face 384
You know it's over when... (Aug '12) 40 min -CatCiao- 1,397
The N-word: 53 min Fishy Face 230
During Obama's Speech at Democratic Campaign Ra... 1 hr Denny CranesPlace 34
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 6,832
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 11 hr -Lea- 22,231