Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#99527 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Though many of those dummies are a great argument against evolution.
Indeed, we generally refer to them as anti-science creationists.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#99528 Sep 9, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be Godwin's law:
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches. In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.
Sure.

Was it definitely one of us who invoked Godwins at that point though? After all it's not as if it's never been used against us mean old evo's before. Have a guess which side was the first to invoke it on THIS thread for example.

But if we want to just take a look at the actual history of Hitler's beliefs, he appeared to have issues with the Church, but still held theistic beliefs with roots in Judeo-Christian theology. Later on creationists made up a whole load of BS about how he was really an atheist.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#99529 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
I think the cosmos can get along quite well without our debates.
And it does.

This tiny little insignificant planet does not really matter in the grand scheme of things.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#99530 Sep 9, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine. That leaves open the possibility of whether or not this "creative" energy was intelligent or not.
If you lived in Mississippi, you would think not.

But seriously folks -
I think a reasonable argument can be made in support of a sort of "creative initiator", but to determine whether or not it is intelligent or compassionate would require a leap of faith.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99531 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>What I don't need is your patronizing tone. You don't seem to understand that a theory of a "creative energy" can exist quite independently from any religious idea of Creationism. I believe that the bible is essentially a bunch of hokum that actually prevents a search of our origins. It does not discover any truths, so it just makes them up.
Why you continue to insist that a theory of a creative initiator must rely on biblical teachings is beyond me. My thoughts on the matter have nothing to do with religion or the bible. It fact, they are antithetical to those beliefs, and are certainly not based on "myths".
With regard to your interpretation of atheism, if you mean it is a position that says the burden of proof is on those who claim there is a deity, I can accept that definition. If it goes on to claim with smug certainty that such a deity does not exist, that is intellectually unacceptable.
Finally, I get the sense that you believe your thoughts on the matter are somehow more perceptive than mine. If that is the case, I think the cosmos can get along quite well without our debates.
I see your confusion here. I never, ever related your "creative energy" with anything biblical in any way, shape or form. it has no evidence to support it, but it does not have anything to do with any of the man-made religious cults. i never implied it did. i do not know why you inferred that i made that implication.

yes, we agree on the definition of atheism...

St. Croix valley

#99532 Sep 9, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that's not the case. There's nothing to stop an atheist believing in fairies, unicorns or alien spaceships.
good point...

St. Croix valley

#99533 Sep 9, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be Godwin's law:
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches. In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
wow! and in all the time i have been on online forums, i have never referenced the nazis or Hitler outside of their historical role...

does godwin only refer to insane people?
davy

Rio Rancho, NM

#99534 Sep 9, 2013
Gravity is just a theory.
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Gravity.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#99535 Sep 9, 2013
davy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let that theory hold you down.

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99536 Sep 9, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
“A recent mathematical analysis says that life as we know it is written into the laws of reality.  DNA is built from a set of twenty amino acids - the first ten of those can create simple prebiotic life, and now it seems that those ten are thermodynamically destined to occur wherever they can.
An energy analysis by Professors Pudritz and Higgs of McMaster University shows that the first ten amino acids are likely to form at relatively low temperatures and pressures, and the calculated odds of formation match the concentrations of these life-chemicals found in meteorite samples.
They also match those in simulations of early Earth, and most critically, those simulations were performed by other people.  The implications are staggering: good news for anyone worried about how we're alone, and bad news for anyone who demands some kind of "Designer" to put life together - it seems that physics can assemble the organic jigsaw all by itself, thank you very much, and has probably done so throughout space since the beginning of everything.
The study indicates that you don't need a miracle to arrive at the chemical cocktail for early life, just a decently large asteroid with the right components.”
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/04/...
I don't think it is quite so easy for life to arise. If it was, then wouldn't we have lifeforms that are not related to us with DNA?

Level 7

Location hidden

#99537 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>I see your confusion here. I never, ever related your "creative energy" with anything biblical in any way, shape or form. it has no evidence to support it, but it does not have anything to do with any of the man-made religious cults. i never implied it did. i do not know why you inferred that i made that implication.
yes, we agree on the definition of atheism...
I am not confused, except by your latest post. It seems to me that whenever I spoke about a creative energy, you invoked the bible as the only kind of "creationism" there is to discuss. I tried to make it clear that my creation theory had nothing to do with any religious notion of Creationism.

I have reviewed some of your earlier posts, and doing so has only confirmed what I thought.

Level 2

Location hidden

#99538 Sep 9, 2013
davy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the Hand of God that holds us down. lol

Level 7

Location hidden

#99539 Sep 9, 2013
davy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm fighting for the repeal of the law of gravity. Happily I have the full support of the Tea Party.

Level 7

Location hidden

#99540 Sep 9, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the Hand of God that holds us down. lol
And I thought Shaquille O'neal had big hands.

St. Croix valley

#99541 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I am not confused, except by your latest post. It seems to me that whenever I spoke about a creative energy, you invoked the bible as the only kind of "creationism" there is to discuss. I tried to make it clear that my creation theory had nothing to do with any religious notion of Creationism.
I have reviewed some of your earlier posts, and doing so has only confirmed what I thought.
no, i clearly asked if you had any evidence of this creative energy. all my talk of proven myths was in regard to religious cults.

“HATRED EATS THE SOUL OF”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

THE HATER -- NOT THE HATED

#99542 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>wow! and in all the time i have been on online forums, i have never referenced the nazis or Hitler outside of their historical role...
does godwin only refer to insane people?
Again you just show your ignorance. It has been brought up by both sides several times on several threads. Creationist bring it up and say that "Hitler didn't believe in God and wanted to brain wash everyone like the evotards do" and evolutionist bring it up in saying "Hitler was a Christian and his killings are justified in bible verses" or some crap on the lines of that from both.

You may have been on online forums for a long time but you just showed you didn't pay much attention!

St. Croix valley

#99543 Sep 9, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you just show your ignorance. It has been brought up by both sides several times on several threads. Creationist bring it up and say that "Hitler didn't believe in God and wanted to brain wash everyone like the evotards do" and evolutionist bring it up in saying "Hitler was a Christian and his killings are justified in bible verses" or some crap on the lines of that from both.
You may have been on online forums for a long time but you just showed you didn't pay much attention!
i said I never brought it up. perhaps you should pay attention...

Level 2

Location hidden

#99544 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>And I thought Shaquille O'neal had big hands.
God has big hands, but they can only hold down so much. As the population of the Earth goes up, he lets up a little more, and that is why people are getting taller.

St. Croix valley

#99545 Sep 9, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
God has big hands, but they can only hold down so much. As the population of the Earth goes up, he lets up a little more, and that is why people are getting taller.
Does he work for Allstate?

Level 7

Location hidden

#99546 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, i clearly asked if you had any evidence of this creative energy. all my talk of proven myths was in regard to religious cults.
As you prefer. I already answered that one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 2 min 75 Scorpio 1,109
Your "favorite"Movie Quotes with or w/o video;))) 5 min Nicholas Van Orton 82
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 6 min SLY WEST 26,729
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 6 min andet1987 277
Holiday Trolling? 9 min Sam 2
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min Old Sam 152,699
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 13 min Barbi A 25,830
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 21 min andet1987 2,989
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 34 min Jennifer Renee 7,740
7 Teens Come Home Pregnant From School Trip 36 min Spotted Girl 64