Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222984 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#99497 Sep 9, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey replytime, how are you this afternoon??
That would be the new argument that is now being presented, and will be fought over until more evidence comes in.
I had a great afternoon. Hope you did as well.

They will fight over this for many years.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#99498 Sep 9, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me, do you think that your vote at the presidential primary truly counts or do you think that the person with the most money and power backing them wins?
Do you believe that some states primary and caucus votes are manipulated?
I really donít give a damn, I do not vote in any US presidential primaries or come to that, no US elections whatsoever, I am British and reside in the UK (for the moment).

However do you believe that the US voting system is corrupt? Or are yoy simply paranoid and t5hing anyonw who votes differently to you is trying to get at you personally.

You donít like democracy then as I have already mentioned there are options available to you.
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that when politicians RE-DISTRICT the state, that they are doing this for 'our' benefit or 'theirs'?
Do we get to vote on re-districting?
I donít know and again I donít care, it is the way the US has chosen to vote, you donít like it then as I have already mentioned there are options available to you.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#99499 Sep 9, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, defining what "Christians" are using Hitler as an example is getting really old to me.
Jesus defines what His followers are; "If you love me you will follow my commands" "My command is this, that you love one another." and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." "Do not judge". From the book of John. Murdering innocent millions = not a "Christian". Thank you.
I am not defining anything, I am stating FACT.

The fact that that fact does not gel with your interpretation of christianity simply means that there are more interpretations of christianity than just yours.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#99500 Sep 9, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
ďA recent mathematical analysis says that life as we know it is written into the laws of reality.† DNA is built from a set of twenty amino acids - the first ten of those can create simple prebiotic life, and now it seems that those ten are thermodynamically destined to occur wherever they can.
An energy analysis by Professors Pudritz and Higgs of McMaster University shows that the first ten amino acids are likely to form at relatively low temperatures and pressures, and the calculated odds of formation match the concentrations of these life-chemicals found in meteorite samples.
They also match those in simulations of early Earth, and most critically, those simulations were performed by other people.† The implications are staggering: good news for anyone worried about how we're alone, and bad news for anyone who demands some kind of "Designer" to put life together - it seems that physics can assemble the organic jigsaw all by itself, thank you very much, and has probably done so throughout space since the beginning of everything.
The study indicates that you don't need a miracle to arrive at the chemical cocktail for early life, just a decently large asteroid with the right components.Ē
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/04/...
That was taken from this article written 04/07/09 and the one you posted was written 04/13/09. The link to the original is after the last paragraph in the one you posted.

Humans and Aliens Might Share DNA Roots
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/the...
Level 5

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99501 Sep 9, 2013
Only a dummy would not believe in evolution.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#99502 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists don't believe in already proven false myths.
Just two requests:

1-Show me those already proven "myths", and the proof that they are false.
2-Show me the proof to support atheism, which is a position of certainty.

Level 7

Location hidden

#99503 Sep 9, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
ďA recent mathematical analysis says that life as we know it is written into the laws of reality.† DNA is built from a set of twenty amino acids - the first ten of those can create simple prebiotic life, and now it seems that those ten are thermodynamically destined to occur wherever they can.
An energy analysis by Professors Pudritz and Higgs of McMaster University shows that the first ten amino acids are likely to form at relatively low temperatures and pressures, and the calculated odds of formation match the concentrations of these life-chemicals found in meteorite samples.
They also match those in simulations of early Earth, and most critically, those simulations were performed by other people.† The implications are staggering: good news for anyone worried about how we're alone, and bad news for anyone who demands some kind of "Designer" to put life together - it seems that physics can assemble the organic jigsaw all by itself, thank you very much, and has probably done so throughout space since the beginning of everything.
The study indicates that you don't need a miracle to arrive at the chemical cocktail for early life, just a decently large asteroid with the right components.Ē
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/04/...
All you have to do now is explain how the asteroid came to exist.

Level 7

Location hidden

#99504 Sep 9, 2013
NOTFADEAWAY wrote:
Only a dummy would not believe in evolution.
Though many of those dummies are a great argument against evolution.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99505 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Just two requests:
2-Show me the proof to support atheism, which is a position of certainty.
the bible clearly proves that the god it creates is false. this supposed god that created the universe cannot even get his own creation story correct, or divinely inspire humans to get it correct, either way, the god they try to create is proven false. that is just the first half of the first page of the bible, there is more and more and more...

atheist just acknowledge that the man-made gods have been proven false and that there is not one teensy shred of evidence that any god, gods or goddesses ever existed. there... atheism perfectly proved for you.

St. Croix valley

#99506 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>All you have to do now is explain how the asteroid came to exist.
why does that need explaining in relation to evolution?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99507 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>All you have to do now is explain how the asteroid came to exist.
Gravity.

Level 7

Location hidden

#99508 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the bible clearly proves that the god it creates is false. this supposed god that created the universe cannot even get his own creation story correct, or divinely inspire humans to get it correct, either way, the god they try to create is proven false. that is just the first half of the first page of the bible, there is more and more and more...
atheist just acknowledge that the man-made gods have been proven false and that there is not one teensy shred of evidence that any god, gods or goddesses ever existed. there... atheism perfectly proved for you.
First of all, I do not rely on any bible to either confirm or deny the existence of a "creator". The bible proves nothing, one way or another. I find it interesting that you point to the bible as an arbiter of how we got here.

Your "proof" of the validity of atheism falls under its own illogical underpinnings. You don't prove something by invalidating another theory. Your proof would have to demonstrate absolute evidence that there was (or is) no creative impetus or energy from which everything sprang.

I would understand doubt about a creator, but certainty against it is at present beyond anyone's ability to prove.

Level 7

Location hidden

#99509 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why does that need explaining in relation to evolution?
We're at this again. As I see it, the overriding question is not simply about how organic life came to be, but about how existence itself came to be. If we could understand that (I won't hold my breath), the origins of life would seem easier to reconcile.

The moment of existence and the moment of organic life would, in my opinion, be ascribed to the same "creative" initiator.

Level 7

Location hidden

#99510 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Though many of those dummies are a great argument against evolution.
I sense an attack by Eigthman.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99511 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why does that need explaining in relation to evolution?
Well, since the Bible explains everything from the nature of quarks to next week's cat hair futures on the Bombay stock exchange, isn't it only fair the ToE explain where asteroids come from? o.0

St. Croix valley

#99512 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, I do not rely on any bible to either confirm or deny the existence of a "creator". The bible proves nothing, one way or another. I find it interesting that you point to the bible as an arbiter of how we got here.
Your "proof" of the validity of atheism falls under its own illogical underpinnings. You don't prove something by invalidating another theory. Your proof would have to demonstrate absolute evidence that there was (or is) no creative impetus or energy from which everything sprang.
I would understand doubt about a creator, but certainty against it is at present beyond anyone's ability to prove.
you seem off your game, Lawrence....let us review:

you asked (and i quote directly) "Just two requests:

2-Show me the proof to support atheism, which is a position of certainty."

now, that is just what i did. i proved the myths iwas talking about were false. since the abrahamic cult makes up the vast, vast majority of religious cult beleivers in the world, that seems like a great place to start. would you like me to use other myths?

I, in fact, did 'prove' atheism as that is what atheism is the acknowledgment that there is not one shred of evidence to suggest any god, gods or goddesses ever existed.

atheism in no way implies a certainty that there is no god out there anywhere, that rational discussion cannot even start until the very first shred of evidence for such arises.

now, anything you need explained about this again?

St. Croix valley

#99513 Sep 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>We're at this again. As I see it, the overriding question is not simply about how organic life came to be, but about how existence itself came to be. If we could understand that (I won't hold my breath), the origins of life would seem easier to reconcile.
The moment of existence and the moment of organic life would, in my opinion, be ascribed to the same "creative" initiator.
what exactly do you mean by existence? the existence of the universe? existence of life?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#99514 Sep 9, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not defining anything, I am stating FACT.
The fact that that fact does not gel with your interpretation of christianity simply means that there are more interpretations of christianity than just yours.
That would be Godwin's law:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches. In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussionóregardless of topic or scopeósomeone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Level 1

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#99515 Sep 9, 2013
Creation Wins
spOko

Oakland, CA

#99516 Sep 9, 2013
KlearMastKO1 wrote:
Creation Wins
And you have just won a lifetime admission to the Ark Encounter and Creation Museum :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 5 min Fish_sticks 30,805
News Texas sheriff calls out truck's anti-Trump deca... 6 min Lawrence Wolf 11
Special Note >Facebook 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2
News Naked man claims to be Jesus outside of Lowe's 10 min Lawrence Wolf 30
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 14 min Princess Hey 150,561
The last word in the sentence must rhyme with t... (Aug '15) 19 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1,991
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 23 min Hoosier Hillbilly 11,352
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 6 hr Naturally Wired 6,543
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 hr Rider on the Storm 225,286
More from around the web