Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#99403 Sep 7, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Bible is the best selling book of all time, then what does God do with all the royalties?
the god of the bible does not exist. that is a proven fact.

the publishers get all the royalties from publishing the bible. no wonder it is the most published book of all time...
davy

Conroe, TX

#99404 Sep 7, 2013
Would that include the scientists that created the computer and the internet? You know the things you are using to spew your ignorance? You sound severely religitarded.
MAD DOG BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that science books are not infallible and mostly fictitious rantings of nerds, and the only place you learned about science was from losers in schools proves that scientists are clueless.....

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99405 Sep 7, 2013
Why does God tell people to do things that get them sent to jail? The cops must all be atheists for arresting good Christians.

"Tammi Estep Stabbed Husband, Said 'She Was Sent To Save The World,' Police Say

A woman who allegedly stabbed her husband said she did it after, "Jesus and Mary told me to kill him because he is Satan's spawn!" according to a police report."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/14/tamm...

"Levi Daniel Staver Allegedly Stabs Grandmother Connie Johnston, Blames Archangel Michael

Police in Richland Township, Pa. say a 26-year-old man killed his grandmother while she ate breakfast, then claimed the Archangel Michael told him to do it."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/levi...

"Victoria Soliz Allegedly Tries To Drown Son In Puddle Because Jesus Told Her To

An Arizona mother has been arrested after she allegedly tried to drown her 3-year-old son in a puddle, claiming Jesus Christ advised her to do it."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/14/vict...

"Rachel Armstrong Accused Of Beating Grandmother Angela Armstrong Whom She Thought Was Possessed

A woman who allegedly stomped her 92-year-old grandmother because she feared the old woman was possessed by a demon may face stiff penalties now that the victim has died."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/rach...

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99406 Sep 7, 2013

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#99407 Sep 7, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
Why does God tell people to do things that get them sent to jail? The cops must all be atheists for arresting good Christians.
"Tammi Estep Stabbed Husband, Said 'She Was Sent To Save The World,' Police Say
A woman who allegedly stabbed her husband said she did it after, "Jesus and Mary told me to kill him because he is Satan's spawn!" according to a police report."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/14/tamm...
"Levi Daniel Staver Allegedly Stabs Grandmother Connie Johnston, Blames Archangel Michael
Police in Richland Township, Pa. say a 26-year-old man killed his grandmother while she ate breakfast, then claimed the Archangel Michael told him to do it."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/levi...
"Victoria Soliz Allegedly Tries To Drown Son In Puddle Because Jesus Told Her To
An Arizona mother has been arrested after she allegedly tried to drown her 3-year-old son in a puddle, claiming Jesus Christ advised her to do it."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/14/vict...
"Rachel Armstrong Accused Of Beating Grandmother Angela Armstrong Whom She Thought Was Possessed
A woman who allegedly stomped her 92-year-old grandmother because she feared the old woman was possessed by a demon may face stiff penalties now that the victim has died."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/rach...

Well that's...just plain crazy!

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Park City, Utah

#99408 Sep 7, 2013
MAD DOG BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>"We already know that humans and Neanderthals mated successfully and most non-Africans today carry some Neanderthal genes." Care to prove this statement and not just regurgitate it. Waiting...
See, you said it yourself...."We already know that humans..etc etc etc"

So, have you ever stopped and pondered on the significance of this fact??

The fact that we mated and produced fertile offspring with them means we are related, and it means we have a common ancestor who is even further back on the evolutionary ladder. It means that we are relatives of apes....we DID evolve from apes, we were NOT created by some imaginary floaty sky thingy that our dumb-ass Jewish cousins INVENTED 3500 years ago

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#99409 Sep 7, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, you're apparently incapable of looking up the (well-known and verified) genetic research for yourself.
Or are you simply afraid to learn? I've seen that before.
Here's a starting point, if you have the gonads. It's written in pretty much baby talk, so you might be able to follow it:
http://www.google.com/imgres...
But if overtime we all evolved from one organism to another, to another so on and so on. And we all share common ancestors. Would we not be connected and share genetics with everything?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Park City, Utah

#99410 Sep 7, 2013
MAD DOG BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>"We already know that humans and Neanderthals mated successfully and most non-Africans today carry some Neanderthal genes." Care to prove this statement and not just regurgitate it. Waiting...
How old are you.....like 12 or 13??

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Park City, Utah

#99411 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
But if overtime we all evolved from one organism to another, to another so on and so on. And we all share common ancestors. Would we not be connected and share genetics with everything?
We DO...for chrissakes that's what people have been telling you on here.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99412 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
But if overtime we all evolved from one organism to another, to another so on and so on. And we all share common ancestors. Would we not be connected and share genetics with everything?
Yes, good point. And we do. We even share genetics with yeast. I do not remember the percentage off of the top of my head. But the closer a specie is to us the more genetics that we share with it. We have the highest number of shared genes with chimps and bonobos. Next are gorillas and a bit less with orangutans. Even less with other simians, less yet with other mammals, and less and less all the way back to bacteria.

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#99413 Sep 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
We DO...for chrissakes that's what people have been telling you on here.
let me guess, he's 'playing dumb' again...

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#99414 Sep 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
We DO...for chrissakes that's what people have been telling you on here.
Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them.

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#99415 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them.
not in the same way...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99416 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them.
There is evidence of some interbreeding between homo sapiens and Neanderthals. It shows up in people of European and Asian descent.

http://news.discovery.com/human/evolution/nea...

http://www.livescience.com/23730-neanderthals...

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#99417 Sep 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There is evidence of some interbreeding between homo sapiens and Neanderthals. It shows up in people of European and Asian descent.
http://news.discovery.com/human/evolution/nea...
http://www.livescience.com/23730-neanderthals...
i thought i heard that the genes for red-heads might be believed to have come from neandertals. yeah for neandertals, cuz redheads are HOT!!!

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Park City, Utah

#99418 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them.
“The more genes we share the closer the relationship. The closer the relationship the chances of mating and bringing forth fertile offspring goes higher.

Genome-wide variation from one human being to another can be up to 0.5%(99.5% similarity)

-Chimpanzees are 96% to 98% similar to humans.

-Cats have 90% of homologous genes with humans, 82% with dogs, 80% with cows, 79% with chimpanzees, 69% with rats and 67% with mice.

-Cows (Bos taurus) are 80% genetically similar to humans

- 75% of mouse genes have equivalents in humans, 90% of the mouse genome could be lined up with a region on the human genome (source) 99% of mouse genes turn out to have analogues in humans . This is why they are used so much in science for testing medicines, etc.

- The fruit fly (Drosophila) shares about 60% of its DNA with humans.

- About 60% of chicken genes correspond to a similar human gene.

A good article on Human/Chimp genomes
http://genome.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD020730.ht...

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#99419 Sep 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
“The more genes we share the closer the relationship. The closer the relationship the chances of mating and bringing forth fertile offspring goes higher.
Genome-wide variation from one human being to another can be up to 0.5%(99.5% similarity)
-Chimpanzees are 96% to 98% similar to humans.
-Cats have 90% of homologous genes with humans, 82% with dogs, 80% with cows, 79% with chimpanzees, 69% with rats and 67% with mice.
-Cows (Bos taurus) are 80% genetically similar to humans
- 75% of mouse genes have equivalents in humans, 90% of the mouse genome could be lined up with a region on the human genome (source) 99% of mouse genes turn out to have analogues in humans . This is why they are used so much in science for testing medicines, etc.
- The fruit fly (Drosophila) shares about 60% of its DNA with humans.
- About 60% of chicken genes correspond to a similar human gene.
A good article on Human/Chimp genomes
http://genome.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD020730.ht...
Didn't homo sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalensis both evolve from Homo heidelbergensis? So we would share genes with them anyways.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Park City, Utah

#99420 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't homo sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalensis both evolve from Homo heidelbergensis? So we would share genes with them anyways.
That also means we share genes with heidelbergensis and a very very high probability of sharing genes with the other Hominids around at the same time as heidelbergensis.....

This alone is proof of being related to the apes

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#99421 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't homo sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalensis both evolve from Homo heidelbergensis? So we would share genes with them anyways.
so you do believe in the theory of evolution...

funny!

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#99422 Sep 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
That also means we share genes with heidelbergensis and a very very high probability of sharing genes with the other Hominids around at the same time as heidelbergensis.....
This alone is proof of being related to the apes
Which goes back to my question of Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them. And why is it only non-African share genes with them? Shouldn’t we all share genes with Neanderthals being we all evolved from Homo heidelbergensis?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"man" words 5 min andet1987 539
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min wichita-rick 157,958
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 9 min andet1987 501
3 Word Sentence (each word, one syllable only) 11 min andet1987 229
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 13 min andet1987 4,926
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 13 min -TheExam- 939
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 14 min wichita-rick 13,821
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 19 min NinaRocks 17,914
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 22 min NinaRocks 39,329
Rest in Peace, Spock 1 hr GANNY 216
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 2 hr LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 801
More from around the web