Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221276 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99416 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them.
There is evidence of some interbreeding between homo sapiens and Neanderthals. It shows up in people of European and Asian descent.

http://news.discovery.com/human/evolution/nea...

http://www.livescience.com/23730-neanderthals...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99417 Sep 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There is evidence of some interbreeding between homo sapiens and Neanderthals. It shows up in people of European and Asian descent.
http://news.discovery.com/human/evolution/nea...
http://www.livescience.com/23730-neanderthals...
i thought i heard that the genes for red-heads might be believed to have come from neandertals. yeah for neandertals, cuz redheads are HOT!!!

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#99418 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them.
“The more genes we share the closer the relationship. The closer the relationship the chances of mating and bringing forth fertile offspring goes higher.

Genome-wide variation from one human being to another can be up to 0.5%(99.5% similarity)

-Chimpanzees are 96% to 98% similar to humans.

-Cats have 90% of homologous genes with humans, 82% with dogs, 80% with cows, 79% with chimpanzees, 69% with rats and 67% with mice.

-Cows (Bos taurus) are 80% genetically similar to humans

- 75% of mouse genes have equivalents in humans, 90% of the mouse genome could be lined up with a region on the human genome (source) 99% of mouse genes turn out to have analogues in humans . This is why they are used so much in science for testing medicines, etc.

- The fruit fly (Drosophila) shares about 60% of its DNA with humans.

- About 60% of chicken genes correspond to a similar human gene.

A good article on Human/Chimp genomes
http://genome.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD020730.ht...

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99419 Sep 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
“The more genes we share the closer the relationship. The closer the relationship the chances of mating and bringing forth fertile offspring goes higher.
Genome-wide variation from one human being to another can be up to 0.5%(99.5% similarity)
-Chimpanzees are 96% to 98% similar to humans.
-Cats have 90% of homologous genes with humans, 82% with dogs, 80% with cows, 79% with chimpanzees, 69% with rats and 67% with mice.
-Cows (Bos taurus) are 80% genetically similar to humans
- 75% of mouse genes have equivalents in humans, 90% of the mouse genome could be lined up with a region on the human genome (source) 99% of mouse genes turn out to have analogues in humans . This is why they are used so much in science for testing medicines, etc.
- The fruit fly (Drosophila) shares about 60% of its DNA with humans.
- About 60% of chicken genes correspond to a similar human gene.
A good article on Human/Chimp genomes
http://genome.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD020730.ht...
Didn't homo sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalensis both evolve from Homo heidelbergensis? So we would share genes with them anyways.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#99420 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't homo sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalensis both evolve from Homo heidelbergensis? So we would share genes with them anyways.
That also means we share genes with heidelbergensis and a very very high probability of sharing genes with the other Hominids around at the same time as heidelbergensis.....

This alone is proof of being related to the apes

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99421 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't homo sapiens and homo sapiens neanderthalensis both evolve from Homo heidelbergensis? So we would share genes with them anyways.
so you do believe in the theory of evolution...

funny!

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99422 Sep 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
That also means we share genes with heidelbergensis and a very very high probability of sharing genes with the other Hominids around at the same time as heidelbergensis.....
This alone is proof of being related to the apes
Which goes back to my question of Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them. And why is it only non-African share genes with them? Shouldn’t we all share genes with Neanderthals being we all evolved from Homo heidelbergensis?

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99423 Sep 7, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so you do believe in the theory of evolution...
funny!
Just because someone has studied something does not mean they believe in it. Which goes back to what I told you; Not all people are as dumb as the play they are. But I can act as dumb as you think I am anytime.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99424 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Which goes back to my question of Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them. And why is it only non-African share genes with them? Shouldn’t we all share genes with Neanderthals being we all evolved from Homo heidelbergensis?
There are various ways of measuring the differences between genes.

It seems that experts have ways of spotting the interbreeding that occurred after speciation.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99425 Sep 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There are various ways of measuring the differences between genes.
It seems that experts have ways of spotting the interbreeding that occurred after speciation.
What way would that be?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99426 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because someone has studied something does not mean they believe in it. Which goes back to what I told you; Not all people are as dumb as the play they are. But I can act as dumb as you think I am anytime.
dude, you just used the theory you say you don't believe in to try to shoot down the theory you say you don't believe in...

no, you are not playing at being stupid, you are excelling at it...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99427 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Which goes back to my question of Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them. And why is it only non-African share genes with them? Shouldn’t we all share genes with Neanderthals being we all evolved from Homo heidelbergensis?
if the theory of evolution is not real, then why would they share genes at all? wouldn't they have been created with their own set of perfectly distinct genomes?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#99428 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Which goes back to my question of Then what is the big deal of sharing genes with Neanderthals. Whether they mated with humans or not we would still share genes with them. And why is it only non-African share genes with them? Shouldn’t we all share genes with Neanderthals being we all evolved from Homo heidelbergensis?
The Neanderthals lived around the Levant area for many thousands of years and for a long time Humans coming out of Africa and heading towards Eurasia would pass by them and they presented an opportunity to get some 'strange nooky'
:-)

After the Neanderthals moved from there, or died out, there was no longer an exchange of genes as the Africans passed and that's probably why we have such a small percentage of Neanderthal genes today.

What this does is establish that the gene/blood line of humans IS, beyond doubt, connected to the great ape line.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99429 Sep 7, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>dude, you just used the theory you say you don't believe in to try to shoot down the theory you say you don't believe in...
no, you are not playing at being stupid, you are excelling at it...
That just shows your ignorance. I am talking to evolutionists so I am using their terms when asking questions. Would you prefer I say since we all came from monkeys? LOL

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99430 Sep 7, 2013
Why is it only non-African share genes with them?Shouldn’t we all share genes with Neanderthals being we all evolved from Homo heidelbergensis, which evolved from the line homo erectus/homo ergaster which evolved from homo habilis?

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99431 Sep 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The Neanderthals lived around the Levant area for many thousands of years and for a long time Humans coming out of Africa and heading towards Eurasia would pass by them and they presented an opportunity to get some 'strange nooky'
:-)
After the Neanderthals moved from there, or died out, there was no longer an exchange of genes as the Africans passed and that's probably why we have such a small percentage of Neanderthal genes today.
What this does is establish that the gene/blood line of humans IS, beyond doubt, connected to the great ape line.
Ooops. This was supposed to be a reply to your comment word.

Why is it only non-African share genes with them?Shouldn’t we all share genes with Neanderthals being we all evolved from Homo heidelbergensis, which evolved from the line homo erectus/homo ergaster which evolved from homo habilis?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#99432 Sep 7, 2013
OK guy, you have me confused.:-)
drinK the hiVe

New York, NY

#99433 Sep 7, 2013
If You're Feeling Down - Lonely Or Bored - Get Up And Flail Your Arm' And Legs Around Like A Fool 4 A Few Hour'.

Pump Your Heart Rate Up 4 Five Minute' Then Let It Settle And Do It Again 4 Or Five Times...

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#99434 Sep 7, 2013
Ok lets look at it in reverse.

From homo habilis evolved homo erectus and homo ergaster.

From homo erectus/homo ergaster evolved Homo heidelbergensis.

From Homo heidelbergensis evolved homo sapiens neanderthalensis and homo sapiens.

The article said non-African people share genes with Neanderthals. Where do African's get lost in that tree that they don't share genes with Neanderthals?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99435 Sep 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Ok lets look at it in reverse.
From homo habilis evolved homo erectus and homo ergaster.
From homo erectus/homo ergaster evolved Homo heidelbergensis.
From Homo heidelbergensis evolved homo sapiens neanderthalensis and homo sapiens.
The article said non-African people share genes with Neanderthals. Where do African's get lost in that tree that they don't share genes with Neanderthals?
Their are genes that are species specific. Or mostly species specific. Odds are they identified some genes that are found in Neanderthal that are not in people of African descent and are found only in some non-Africans. That would indicate that the genes, which are widespread in Neanderthal arose there and were spread to European and Asian homo saps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Is Your DREAM JOB? 3 min TheJerseyDevil 49
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min wichita-rick 215,457
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 21 min uIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 2,090
News Chicago artist creates a mural of Michelle Obam... 29 min Spotted Girl 37
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 42 min andet1987 61,751
What's one thing you appreciate in your life? 51 min andet1987 9
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr TheJerseyDevil 74,355
A to Z songs by title or group! 2 hr wichita-rick 1,592
More from around the web