Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
91,101 - 91,120 of 113,198 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you link me to the website you checked and found info about him collaborating on some papers?
Remember, he worked there 1988-2005 and then retired academia to lecture around the world.
Here's your link: www.google.com

Do your own homework.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>Wonderful! Let's see the evidence.
Prediction:

"A baby's smile"
"Morning dew on a fresh flower bud"
Rainbows, "Goldilocks Zone, yadda, yadda, yadda...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Prediction:
"A baby's smile"
"Morning dew on a fresh flower bud"
Rainbows, "Goldilocks Zone, yadda, yadda, yadda...
You forgot "Flowers are purddy"

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously Imagine, you need a hobby. Have you tried knitting?
I'm not sure he should have sharp objects...

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan do you know anyone that has been adopted? If someone I know is having trouble that they were adopted thinking their parents didn't want them and didn't love them what would you suggest me to tell them?
That their parents were going through troubles, and were not able to safely raise a child. That it was BECAUSE they loved the child they put him up for adoption, to live a better life than they were able to provide. A very selfless and difficult decision for sure, but its obvious they did it out of love. It's the selfish parents that keep a child even though they have no means to raise them. Imagine how difficult it must have been for the parents to part with a child. That, is love.

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason that evolution, that can't be proven bothers me, is because it take people away from God.
The majority of people that believe in evolution become atheist.
We don't need more people perishing than we already have.
People need help and Godly information, not something that's going to pull them away from Him.
Tell me, what good does it do people to believe that they came from fish or apes when no one on earth can prove it, but if they believe your 'gods'(scientist) and they lose their salvation, what good does that do you?
Why do you wish for people to perish, is the question I have for you?
Subduction has a good point Imagine, you seem to be intelligent, yet are forced to "dumb down" due to your beliefs. I am Catholic, I believe in God, and I believe in Evolution. God and Evolution can coexist. God is a higher force which binds the universe the fabric if you will. Many scientists believe in "him", not necessarily as a man with a flowing white beard, but as an unexplainable energy. Einstein referred to him as "The Old One".

But you have to let go your belief in the Bible as a book of facts. The Bible is more a metaphorical account of the formation of Christianity, and of course is comprised of very important writings. But no one should try to defend it as factual history. It's just illogical. I honestly don't believe the authors intended it to be taken literally.

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok now you can call me weird but,,,,,,,,
For the last 19 years I can be doing anything. Working, playing, fishing, hunting, you name it and I can look at a clock out of the blue, for no reason and I see 11:11 or 1:11 at least two-three times just about every day. I am thinking what the hell! Now if that is not weird enough for ya here is more. I have woke up many times for no reason and it will be 1:11 am. My birthdate year and day =11 plus month, day and last digit of year =11. I used to live at 111 --- street. I worked at a place for 9 years after 2 years of training(9+2=11) which address happened to be 1111 ------ Ave. When I lost my 2 fingers, yep that date happened to be the 11th day in Nov or 11/11. My Mom was born 10-1-38 now 10+1=11, 3+8=11, She died 1/2010(1+10=11). My oldest daughter was born 5/24 add em up =11. My youngest daughter was born 5/27 which =14 but 3 years later so minus the 3 years between her sister = 11 and minus the 3 days between her sister =11. My ex-wife was born 9/2 add em up =11. Had surgery on my knee 8/3/11 (8+3=11 plus 11 in the year). In my family there were 5 boys and 4 girls plus 2 parents = 11. There are more that I could factor in there but you get the picture lol. Too many 1s and/or 11s are starting to bug me lol.
Totall off topic, but reminded me of a cute phrase.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok now you can call me weird but,,,,,,,,
For the last 19 years I can be doing anything. Working, playing, fishing, hunting, you name it and I can look at a clock out of the blue, for no reason and I see 11:11 or 1:11 at least two-three times just about every day. I am thinking what the hell! Now if that is not weird enough for ya here is more. I have woke up many times for no reason and it will be 1:11 am. My birthdate year and day =11 plus month, day and last digit of year =11. I used to live at 111 --- street. I worked at a place for 9 years after 2 years of training(9+2=11) which address happened to be 1111 ------ Ave. When I lost my 2 fingers, yep that date happened to be the 11th day in Nov or 11/11. My Mom was born 10-1-38 now 10+1=11, 3+8=11, She died 1/2010(1+10=11). My oldest daughter was born 5/24 add em up =11. My youngest daughter was born 5/27 which =14 but 3 years later so minus the 3 years between her sister = 11 and minus the 3 days between her sister =11. My ex-wife was born 9/2 add em up =11. Had surgery on my knee 8/3/11 (8+3=11 plus 11 in the year). In my family there were 5 boys and 4 girls plus 2 parents = 11. There are more that I could factor in there but you get the picture lol. Too many 1s and/or 11s are starting to bug me lol.
Those two fingers you lost line them up and you get 11. You mentioned you thought "What the hell" double L's my friend 11! On the morning of 11/11/11, I stubbed my toe so hard I cried. Coincidence? Yesterday was the seventh, which ends in th, just like the eleventh - OMG!! I was born in 1964. If you multiply the 19 with 6, you get 114. Lose the final 4, and you get wait for it 11!

Not mocking you Realtime, just making a point a desired result can easily be derived by manipulating the means.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Scientists at CERN wants your contribution so they can connect the dots:

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/2013/08...

I'm still trying to understand the concept of antihydrogen and how to measure effects of gravity on its acceleration.

Any comments?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
I'm still trying to understand the concept of antihydrogen and how to measure effects of gravity on its acceleration.
Any comments?
It is hard to make too much of a comment since they did not go into details. All they have said is that so far what they have found is not what is expected.

According to Einstein's theory of gravity mass is mass regardless if the particle is a antiparticle or not. Going back to the equation of his that we all know and love e = mc^2, we can see that there is no difference in the m or mass if the particle is regular or antimatter. Yet those masses could react differently to gravity. Physicists love new unanswered problems. New unanswered problems can be key to understanding old unanswered problems.

If there is some difference in how particles and antiparticles react to gravity it may be a clue to the parity problem, or why we have only regular matter in the universe.

Nice article with possible big implications. Nice find Cybele.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Oops, I just reread parts of the article and it does not say that any unexpected difference had been found yet.

Now that I have reread it that odds are that Einstein was right and antimatter will fall in the same way that regular matter does.

One thing neat about CERN is that they can make antihydrogen. That means they have to make both antiprotons and positrons, and then mix them together somehow while keeping them away from other matter. They will form antihydrogen automatically, but at that point they are electrically neutral. How do they keep the antihydrogen under control?

Still a neat article. And it is possible that antihydrogen falls "weird".

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
Oops, I just reread parts of the article and it does not say that any unexpected difference had been found yet.
Now that I have reread it that odds are that Einstein was right and antimatter will fall in the same way that regular matter does.
One thing neat about CERN is that they can make antihydrogen. That means they have to make both antiprotons and positrons, and then mix them together somehow while keeping them away from other matter. They will form antihydrogen automatically, but at that point they are electrically neutral. How do they keep the antihydrogen under control?
Do they know how hydrogen was created?

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
Any comments?
Nice, Cyb. Still reading.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
I'm assuming - and it's ONLY an assumtion - that they combine the antiparticles on the fly on vacuo, and then let them fly. They can aim the antiparticles while they're charged...

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
LHC is trying to split electron and proton from Hydrogen atom to study the fundamental particles.

This is like trying to split chromosome pairs and see what kind of creature will be produced. LOL!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Do they know how hydrogen was created?
In Big Bang nucleosynthesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleos...
Hulu

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
LHC is trying to split electron and proton from Hydrogen atom to study the fundamental particles.
This is like trying to split chromosome pairs and see what kind of creature will be produced. LOL!
Anyone figure out why SETI is a failure? Maybe the primitive minds of today are not fit to handle such nonsense? Besides, humans are jumping the gun on the "earthlike" stuff way out there........
SODN

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Creation wins

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> In Big Bang nucleosynthesis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleos...
Yes we know about that theory. I meant to ask 'can they create hydrogen in the lab?'

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Hulu wrote:
<quoted text>Anyone figure out why SETI is a failure? Maybe the primitive minds of today are not fit to handle such nonsense? Besides, humans are jumping the gun on the "earthlike" stuff way out there........
why do you say we are primitive? our technology is making progress. It's just a "matter" of time...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

75 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 2 min Grace Nerissa 23,802
Spontaneous Impulse (Oct '13) 4 min Independent1 1,169
Words of Love (Aug '10) 5 min Adrian DeVine 1,694
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 5 min Petal Power 15,677
True False Game (Jun '11) 13 min Petal Power 9,545
What's your tip for the day? 14 min wichita-rick 264
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 22 min Petal Power 6,814
Tell Us Who or What You Really Are,...? (Apr '13) 25 min Petal Power 1,582
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 28 min wichita-rick 141,635
Message to Obama 2 hr Bill 747
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr Adrian DeVine 28,370
•••
•••