Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 218794 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#96465 Aug 8, 2013
Sub, I know about antiparticles. My question is how we can create hydrogen. And you said with proton antiproton we can create hydrogen by stripping off electron from non-hydrogen atom by exposing it in the real world. But you did not address my comment on annihilation, and that antimatter is short-lived.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#96466 Aug 8, 2013
Think about it wrote:
Entropy - the second law of thermodynamics - things decline over time.
Over time species have gone extent but we don’t have one recorded sample of a new species ever becoming but we have plenty examples of species going extinct. When I say species I mean a new kind of creature emerging to become.
Biogenesis – life only comes from other life, life does not arise from non-living material
The first cell of life came from nothing. We have never seen a cell come from anything but another cell. Now we see cells die but we have never seen a cell just become from nothing.
You seen a baby come from a squirt though haven't you?

Level 5

above and beyond

#96467 Aug 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The violation of conservation of matter can be achieved but comes at a high price and we are very limited in what we can do.
Such as lead can be turned into gold by nuclear transmutation.
Hydrogen maybe created by tearing other elements apart, but the cost for theses things are ten magnitudes higher than what they are worth to extract by other means. But hydrogen cannot be created from nothing, that violate thermodynamics, and nothing we know of can violate the laws of thermodynamics.
Who says we would be creating hydrogen from nothing? What I'm trying to figure out is how we can find the source for electrons and protons and energy required because that's where hydrogen was produced in space.

We don't necessarily have to create an actual hydrogen from nothing. All we need is strip off the subatomic particles, or split the hydrogen atom and then re-create it.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#96468 Aug 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> We are not capable of producing energy levels needed to reproduce Big Bang nucleosynthesis, which is what is needed to produce hydrogen from virtual. That involves ZPE if we could produce that level of energy we could harness power on the scale of the universe.
We can barley harness the power of a star however infinitly briefly.
The next step is to harness the power of a galaxy. But not likely any time soon.
Yes, I never claimed making anti-protons from photon to photon collision. The point is that, from my understanding and I may be wrong, even in particle to particle collisions the particles that are produces are produced in pairs. A proton and an anti-proton, a pion and its matching anti-pion.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96469 Aug 8, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Sub, I know about antiparticles. My question is how we can create hydrogen. And you said with proton antiproton we can create hydrogen by stripping off electron from non-hydrogen atom by exposing it in the real world. But you did not address my comment on annihilation, and that antimatter is short-lived.
That is not what I said. Try again.
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#96470 Aug 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You seen a baby come from a squirt though haven't you?
Both the egg and sperm that create the baby are alive. The baby does not come from non-living nothing.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#96471 Aug 8, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says we would be creating hydrogen from nothing? What I'm trying to figure out is how we can find the source for electrons and protons and energy required because that's where hydrogen was produced in space.
We don't necessarily have to create an actual hydrogen from nothing. All we need is strip off the subatomic particles, or split the hydrogen atom and then re-create it.
Tear apart hydrogen to create hydrogen, Okay but why?

Level 5

above and beyond

#96472 Aug 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Tear apart hydrogen to create hydrogen, Okay but why?
to know the formula!

Level 5

above and beyond

#96473 Aug 8, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
To make a anti-proton you need a very high energy collision. That should make a proton anti-proton pair. Once you make a proton to make hydrogen all you need to do is to expose it to the real world. It will strip an electron off of the first non-hydrogen atom that it sees. Of course hydrogen is plentiful, anti-hydrogen is not. So the antihydrogen gets all of the press.
^ this is what you said!
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#96474 Aug 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You seen a baby come from a squirt though haven't you?
The egg and sperm both have cells. So it is multiple cells that create the baby. Not a single cell nor life out of nothing.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#96475 Aug 8, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
I love watching you guys get your feathers up, claws out and tongues of fire lit up. All it takes is showing how wrong you are, evidence to the contrary and boy do the criticisms and attacks fly.
There is plenty of evidence in God, that is so obvious that a child can see it, and billions of people around the world laughing at your unbelievable 'crazy evo' ideas.
No. I objected to some very silly claims that do not even approach scientific rigour. They do not attack evolution, merely some cliche errors about evolution. But because by your own admission you have never learned any science, perhaps they sound plausible to you.

Billions more people laugh at your crazy "there is one God but Jesus was also God even though he supposedly hung on the cross asking Himself why He had forsaken Himself" silliness. Pretty much everyone in China, India, Southeast Asia, and the Muslim world laugh at that. About 5-6 billion people in other words.

If you are trying to turn truth into a numbers game, you definitely lose.

Level 5

above and beyond

#96476 Aug 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
same idea as reverse engineer
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#96478 Aug 8, 2013
Let’s look at the bird. Through evolution a four legged animal over time had 2 of it legs become wings right? Now a long time before that good leg becomes a wing it is only going to be a bad leg which would bring survival chances of that animal to a low point because it could not fly or use it bad legs to get away thus only having two legs to escape from its predators.

Level 5

above and beyond

#96479 Aug 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
well, it would be difficult because the particles would be unstable.

What if we can split a heavier element and create hydrogen out of that?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#96480 Aug 8, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
The egg and sperm both have cells. So it is multiple cells that create the baby. Not a single cell nor life out of nothing.
The egg and the sperm are individual cells and not complexes of multiple cells, but your point that two are required for sexual reproduction is correct.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#96481 Aug 8, 2013
Think about it wrote:
Let’s look at the bird. Through evolution a four legged animal over time had 2 of it legs become wings right? Now a long time before that good leg becomes a wing it is only going to be a bad leg which would bring survival chances of that animal to a low point because it could not fly or use it bad legs to get away thus only having two legs to escape from its predators.
What makes you think the legs had to become useless in one way to become a new structure and useful in another way. There is no reason to believe that and it isn't logical to assume it.

The addition of feathers to the body could and did occur without limiting the utility of legs. You are assuming that running away on land is the only means of escape. I guess you never climbed a tree or swam.

Once feathers developed a climbing animal could glide and further adaptations selecting for more wing-like forelimbs could take place. The whole bad leg scenario falls apart.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96482 Aug 8, 2013
Cybele wrote:
The only reason that antimatter is short lived is because of all of the regular matter out there.

At CERN they keep antiprotons in a "magnetic bottle". It is a container with as pure of a vacuum as possible and a magnetic field that keeps the antiprotons circling without touching the walls.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96483 Aug 8, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
^ this is what you said!
Well I suppose you could combine the protons that were made with the electrons that were made, but since hydrogen will grab any electrons it sees there is not much point in doing so.

Level 5

above and beyond

#96484 Aug 8, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason that antimatter is short lived is because of all of the regular matter out there.
At CERN they keep antiprotons in a "magnetic bottle". It is a container with as pure of a vacuum as possible and a magnetic field that keeps the antiprotons circling without touching the walls.
I know. Then why would you expose proton antiproton pair to the real world to strip off electron from a non-hydrogen atom to produce hydrogen? lol.
Think about it

West Plains, MO

#96485 Aug 8, 2013
Let’s look at the fruit fly experiments that have been going on since the early 1900’s. The fruit flies have short life spans of around 11 days so it makes a good host for the experiments. In around the last 100 years, tens of thousands possibly millions of generations of fruit flies have been bred in labs that have all sorts of weird things done to them trying to encourage mutation, trying to get a mutation that has a genetic benefit as well as pass it on to the next generation hoping for some evidence of evolution. With tens of thousands, possibly millions of generations that have gone through this experiment they still have just fruit flies. This seems that the fruit flies appear to immune to evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 min Sublime1 68,129
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) (Dec '14) 5 min Mr_FX 1,590
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 6 min Mr_FX 2,931
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 7 min Mr_FX 61,350
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 9 min Mr_FX 10,745
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) (Jul '15) 11 min Mr_FX 1,917
I Believe __________________ ....... (Feb '11) 22 min F_R_E_D 742
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 54 min visitor 209,849
True False Game (Jun '11) 1 hr andet1987 13,534
What Turns You Off? 2 hr Ferrerman 136