Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#96326 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://geology.about.com/od/flooding/qt/flood...
The Comeback of Noah's Flood
In 1997 two marine geologists, William Ryan and Walter Pitman, published a book about Noah's Flood—the real one they discovered themselves. It's a geologic event that they say occurred several thousand years before the ancient Hebrews wrote the story down in its familiar 40-days/40-nights form. The response among Ryan and Pitman's readers was approving interest and follow-up research, the cultural equivalent of polite applause.(See my review.)
The very first "theories of the Earth" assumed a universal Flood for two good reasons: the word of God described it in convincing detail and the majority of the rocks of Europe were obviously formed under water (and having never seen lava flows, many early thinkers considered even basalt a marine sediment). But the geologic evidence grew and its contradictions with scripture could no longer be denied.
That's not what the article says. They are talking about a flood in the Black Sea _ONLY_.

To the people living in THAT area, it was very dramatic (as ALL regional floods are to the people in those areas). However, that is not evidence of a _GLOBAL_ flood.

The whole point of this article is that you can't take the Bible literally because it's not meant to be taken literally.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96327 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So which video am I supposed to watch? The first one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#96328 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Comeback of Noah's Flood
In 1997 two marine geologists, William Ryan and Walter Pitman, published a book about Noah's Flood—the real one they discovered themselves. It's a geologic event that they say occurred several thousand years before the ancient Hebrews wrote the story down in its familiar 40-days/40-nights form. The response among Ryan and Pitman's readers was approving interest and follow-up research, the cultural equivalent of polite applause.(See my review.)
The very first "theories of the Earth" assumed a universal Flood for two good reasons: the word of God described it in convincing detail and the majority of the rocks of Europe were obviously formed under water (and having never seen lava flows, many early thinkers considered even basalt a marine sediment). But the geologic evidence grew and its contradictions with scripture could no longer be denied.
You are misusing the word "theory".

And yes, very early geologists did assume a flood. They went looking for evidence for it. They found evidence against a flood instead. A few fools since have tried to deny the obvious and have given the geology world hours of laughter.

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#96329 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The video I wanted you to see was the right one. Did you watch it?
I watched a video with some guy named Matt Mira. I didn't see anything alarming on it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96330 Aug 7, 2013
And imagine, you should have read the article you linked. It does not substantiate Noah's Flood at all. It only describes how the Black Sea flooded in the past. But this was hardly Noah's Flood. Yes, villages had to be moved. No one died. That flood was so slow that you could not have just walked away from it, you could have crawled away from it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96331 Aug 7, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what the article says. They are talking about a flood in the Black Sea _ONLY_.
To the people living in THAT area, it was very dramatic (as ALL regional floods are to the people in those areas). However, that is not evidence of a _GLOBAL_ flood.
The whole point of this article is that you can't take the Bible literally because it's not meant to be taken literally.
It was not even that dramatic of a flood. Yes, they had to move villages. As I said in my previous post, people could have crawled away from that flood. I ran the numbers once and it was a slow permanent influx of water.

“The Grim Reaper Is Fictional ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

But We Will All Meet Him

#96332 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the star that is radiating and not the planet, and the answer is yes. They are not measuring light from the planet when they measure its temperature.
How are they accurately measuring its temp when it takes 1250 light years for even the light from it to get here?

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

You don't even know about.....

#96333 Aug 7, 2013
I will say this, i have not been thru this forum with a fine tooth comb. With that said, for all of you who do not acknowledge the BIBLE. Ha...Look around people science, monkey, or fish did not create your world, nor did they create you, I feel sorrow for all those who do not trust in GOD's Word....but in the end it's ok, God is forgiving, even of you! That's IT.....

Level 9

founded in facts.

#96334 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just 2 paragraphs from site.
Actually the biblical description is not clear and in places contradicts itself.

Ryan and Pitman proposed that a massive flood of the black see occurred around 5500BC. This very large, but localized flood is the basis of many of the flood myths including the biblical story of Noah.

You left this off of the page you linked.

"Just a few generations ago, though, the question of the Flood created whole decades of cultural flame wars. Geology won the argument and the Biblical literalists lost. The Flood could not have covered the whole world, it could not have laid down every sedimentary rock bed in a few months, and Noah could not have rescued every living species. The rocks put the lie to all that.

This debate, along with the equally ferocious argument over evolution as well as other trends of the 1800s, basically debunked the Bible as an authority for any physical truth. But while the Bible is of no use as a geology text, it does have value in its version of the Flood. In that sense, Ryan and Pitman have rehabilitated the good book."

The link doesn't claim that the story of Noah is true, but that it may have a factual basis in localized flooding. Science has never ruled out that possibility and even publicly made claims supporting that view. Here two scientists seem to be the ones that have evidence to support the possibility.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#96335 Aug 7, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. He was a bit picky with his selections to cut and paste in his post.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96336 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I watched a video with some guy named Matt Mira. I didn't see anything alarming on it.
Ok, just checking.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#96337 Aug 7, 2013
This is off topic but I am going through some issues with someone. Any one here been adopted or know any one that has been?

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#96338 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. He was a bit picky with his selections to cut and paste in his post.
Dan do you know anyone that has been adopted? If someone I know is having trouble that they were adopted thinking their parents didn't want them and didn't love them what would you suggest me to tell them?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#96339 Aug 7, 2013
WildMountainHoney wrote:
I will say this, i have not been thru this forum with a fine tooth comb. With that said, for all of you who do not acknowledge the BIBLE. Ha...Look around people science, monkey, or fish did not create your world, nor did they create you,
Nor did the Bible, which you apparently worship. If there is a Supreme Being, He/She/It will reveal His/Her/Its presence through nature. Not through a book written by Bronze Age nomads.

Despite this, I can accept the concept of a Supernatural Being. One that would be wise enough to judge me according to the quality of the life I've spent with His other creations, and not by my wearing a suit and tie in a pew in "God's House" absent-mindingly reciting empty words from a dusty book that holds little relevance to my life (although I did that for many years as well).
WildMountainHoney wrote:
I feel sorrow for all those who do not trust in GOD's Word....but in the end it's ok, God is forgiving, even of you! That's IT.....
I feel sorrow for those that fail to see the wonder and beauty of what **could be** God's ACTUAL HANDIWORK -- nature -- and instead focus on the words of MAN, fallable, error-prone MAN as written in the Bible.

The Bible was passed down from millenia of campfire stories by well-meaning, but highly superstitious Bronze-age Man, only then to be written down, and translated multiple times, then edited and RE-edited multiple times, often by committee that included and excluded entire books and sections of ancient text based purely on their own political bias. There are now over 50 different English versions of the Bible.

If there is a God, He left us with DIRECT evidence in the form of the entire UNIVERSE to inspire and awe us. He also would have given us the ability to use our minds to decipher the evidence of His creation.

THIS is what science is doing.

The Bible AT MOST is a loose guidebook, not to be taken literally.

NOT a science or history book.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#96340 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, just checking.
So I take it, that it was the right video. I'll check it out again.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#96341 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The video I wanted you to see was the right one. Did you watch it?
I don't think the video you wanted me to see came up when I took the link. I did agree with Matt Mira that Popeye was Robin Williams' worst film and I thought the Nissan Batmobile with the flamethrower was pretty cool. Probably not the video you were talking about.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96342 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So I take it, that it was the right video. I'll check it out again.
This is it. Just to make sure it works correctly this time.

imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96343 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think the video you wanted me to see came up when I took the link. I did agree with Matt Mira that Popeye was Robin Williams' worst film and I thought the Nissan Batmobile with the flamethrower was pretty cool. Probably not the video you were talking about.
Lol!

The link messed up but I reposted it for you. lol!

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#96344 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the star that is radiating and not the planet, and the answer is yes. They are not measuring light from the planet when they measure its temperature.
I guess you missed this post:
"How are they accurately measuring its temp when it takes 1250 light years for even the light from it to get here?"

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#96345 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
"I knew this woman in church that had very big jugs. We used to take her fishing. Did I ever mention I liked fishing?" That quote should sound very familiar to one person in this forum.
WELL!!! The DanFromSmithville stalker I cannot believe you have not yet stepped up an claimed this post yet. That is the same as lying. Maybe because I had a few words wrong. It actually went -
"Did I mention that there is a woman in my church with huge jugs. Sometimes we go fishing with them. Did I mention that I like to fish?"

You need links or going to deny this too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 5 min Sublime1 7,164
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min DustNBones 151,119
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 15 min Jennifer Renee 6,754
What Are You Thankful About ?? (Nov '12) 23 min Humhainna 586
NFL Football (Jul '10) 26 min Hatti_Hollerand 1,757
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 30 min dandylioness 24,012
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 34 min 40ish 25,566
Ferguson Grand Jury Reaches Decision 38 min TALLYHO 8541 330
Bill Cosby 2 hr I am not a Bimbo 246
Woman Arrested For $6400 Sausage Heist 5 hr Mitt s Airtight D... 15