Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 4,548)

Showing posts 90,941 - 90,960 of105,886
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Time is not slowed or sped up for GPS or satellites. Now it does take just a little time for their information to get here for it is not instantaneous, but time is not either slowed or sped up,,, we call it time to update and get caught up
you just don't get it. here is an experiment that humans actually participated in...

if have two watches and you put one on satellite and keep one on the Earth, they will not register the same amount of time. the warping of space time caused by the gravity well of the Earth makes time different here than up there.(as SZ pointed out, there is also the speed of the satellite to take into account...)

time is different in different kinds of space because space and time are one.

seriously, you really need to research this so you don't look like such a rube...
Think about it

West Plains, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, i have given you verifiable facts about proven, re-testable experiments that show time and space are one.
you are talking about shit you have no clue of and you are looking quite the fool.
you could always research this on your own and find out the truth, why do you not do that and then tell us what you found?
what is your factual basis for believing time can exist without space?
Then those facts and evidence must not have been posted. For all you have shown is simple words. Since you seem to have time, post those verifiable facts and evidence once more.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Then those facts and evidence must not have been posted. For all you have shown is simple words. Since you seem to have time, post those verifiable facts and evidence once more.
yes they were, by me and others. we cannot make you able to comprehend them.

again, what is your evidence that time can exist without space?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Time is not slowed or sped up for GPS or satellites. Now it does take just a little time for their information to get here for it is not instantaneous, but time is not either slowed or sped up,,, we call it time to update and get caught up
Once again you have no clue.

Here, read and learn:

http://www.bartleby.com/173/
Think about it

West Plains, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes they were, by me and others. we cannot make you able to comprehend them.
again, what is your evidence that time can exist without space?
Show me more than simple words for evidence and facts and we will go from there.

Like I said, someone can say they saw a mermaid but does that make it evidence and fact because someone says so?
Think about it

West Plains, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

OH MY. Some one on another thread called me a smart aleck. I have to go now and cry for a while. I will be back tomorrow night to whine and try to get some pity from you all for that harsh name they called me. Yes that is complete sarcasm!!!!

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me more than simple words for evidence and facts and we will go from there.
Like I said, someone can say they saw a mermaid but does that make it evidence and fact because someone says so?
i gave you an historical experiment that you can verify for yourself.

so, again, what is your factual basis for claiming time can exist without space?

you keep saying that with nothing to back it up. i backed up my claim with verifiable facts known the world wide.

what have you got?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't want the answer they want a science explanation of where time came from. Because they can't answer with science they will dodge it.
I wont.

Time, distance, and mass/energy are the fundamentals of physics and cannot be explained by any reference to other quantities. All other things are meaured as a relationship between these three fundamentals. For example acceleration is distance / time / time. You can only grasp the 3 fundamentals immediately and intuitively, by experience. They are foundational.

But that is not the same thing as claiming they are constant. Einstein showed that the rate at which time flows can vary. At the extremes of lightspeed and infinite gravity time stops according to general relativity. Is that correct? We cannot be sure but we DO know that time behaves consistently with Einstein's predictions over the range we can measure so as far as we know it IS correct.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
You have strange beliefs for an atheist.
So now I am an atheist. I must be an atheist because I am not a fundamentalist and I accept and use science. Once again I am in awe of the fundamentalist arrogance coupled enthusiastically with ignorance and without the hint of a clue.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Absolutely

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Think about it wrote:
And the point of your link is what? That the speed of light slows down as it passes through things then regains it's speed? A man that is running at 17 mph and runs through a wall he as well will slow down but as he goes on he will regain his speed. Nothing in that link said anything about anything making time stand still.
Aura's point, which was very well explained in understandable terms for your bnefit, is that light can slow in RELATION to time, thus stopping time. Your reference to time cannot be compared to light's reference. You should do some research, it's a facsinating topic.

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>You should really think before you post.

He gave you two examples of how time can be stopped, you idiot.
You are dead wrong time cannot be stopped. There are black holes all over the universe but yet here I am experiencing Time. That's either weird or the two of you are wrong.

I'm guessing that later.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>in fact, it is absolutely correct.
Wrong. In fact it's Gibberish.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Dr_Dirty wrote:
<quoted text>Time is the only constant that keeps everything from happening at once.
Yes with out time if one was not held to the laws of the universe, one could always exist and have always existed.
You know like the Alpha and the Omega.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So now I am an atheist. I must be an atheist because I am not a fundamentalist and I accept and use science. Once again I am in awe of the fundamentalist arrogance coupled enthusiastically with ignorance and without the hint of a clue.
You may enjoy this:
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/06/when_fundamen...
RedHorseRevelati on

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Bible PROOF 1.5 BIL MUSLIMS to die --

http://youtu.be/n7ok0g8iwJI

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>I wont.

Time, distance, and mass/energy are the fundamentals of physics and cannot be explained by any reference to other quantities. All other things are meaured as a relationship between these three fundamentals. For example acceleration is distance / time / time. You can only grasp the 3 fundamentals immediately and intuitively, by experience. They are foundational.

But that is not the same thing as claiming they are constant. Einstein showed that the rate at which time flows can vary. At the extremes of lightspeed and infinite gravity time stops according to general relativity. Is that correct? We cannot be sure but we DO know that time behaves consistently with Einstein's predictions over the range we can measure so as far as we know it IS correct.
I am quite aware that time does have different speed depending on gravity.
That's not the question.

The question is.

In the Big Bang theory where did time come from.

We know for a fact that nothing can exist with out time. The BB claims time started 13.7 billion years ago.
So where did time come from?

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So now I am an atheist. I must be an atheist because I am not a fundamentalist and I accept and use science. Once again I am in awe of the fundamentalist arrogance coupled enthusiastically with ignorance and without the hint of a clue.
dan do you believe there is a God or gods?

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>Aura's point, which was very well explained in understandable terms for your bnefit, is that light can slow in RELATION to time, thus stopping time. Your reference to time cannot be compared to light's reference. You should do some research, it's a facsinating topic.
WRONG. Time cannot be stopped.
If time stopped all matter, space, and energy would stop existing.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You may enjoy this:
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/06/when_fundamen...
Thanks Mike. I did indeed enjoy the article. It hits the nail right on the head and codifies the views I have been formulating for some years.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
I am quite aware that time does have different speed depending on gravity.
That's not the question.
The question is.
In the Big Bang theory where did time come from.
We know for a fact that nothing can exist with out time. The BB claims time started 13.7 billion years ago.
So where did time come from?
We have no idea of if there was time "before" the big bang or not. The question of where time came from is a genuine mystery. But papering over a genuine mystery with "therefore Goddidit" is senseless. You cannot know that. Nor can non-believers know its not true.

There is only one honest answer, and that is that we don't know why there is time or why there is anything at all. That would include "why is there God" if indeed there is one.

As for your claim that black holes cannot stop time, you seem to imagine that they would stop time everywhere, but that is not what relativity claims. Time will stop only at the event horizon - the "boundary surface" of the black hole itself. Time will continue to move forward above that horizon, the faster the further away until it reaches its "ground rate" when gravity approaches zero.

Therefore there can be many black holes in the universe without time as a whole stopping. And don't fret just because its hard to make sense of it. Physicists spend years getting their heads around it but A/ it makes sense when you understand how it works and B/ every experimental measure to date confirms it whether you like it or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 90,941 - 90,960 of105,886
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••