Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163782 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96310 Aug 7, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"There is plenty of proof of a global flood but just as Bible scripture states"
Check out the thread
"Noah's Flood Real"
Can you link it too me. I'm looking in Topix for it, having no luck.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#96311 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you watched this video?
You should have an open mind and see what is going on at the universities.
Very good on Evolution vs God.
http://m.youtube.com/watch ...#
So which video am I supposed to watch? The first one?

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#96312 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
"I knew this woman in church that had very big jugs. We used to take her fishing. Did I ever mention I liked fishing?" That quote should sound very familiar to one person in this forum.
So no one is going to step up and say this is a post they used to make regularly? If you don't step up and claim it according to many that is the same as lying!!

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#96313 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mass delusion don't make the delusion real.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#96314 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a good start to where I got that. From there you can research more.
10 Most Habitable Alien Worlds. Furthest one is 1242 light years away. I made a mistake by saying millions of light years away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DZTXTPz9TC8XX
You were off by a factor of one billion!!!!

Do you understand how they can tell the temperature of a star yet?

I went over it once I can go over it again.

If a star has a planet orbiting it you can tell how big the star is. I can explain that to you.

If you know how hot a star is and how big a star is and you know how far away from the star a planet is, calculating the temperature there is child's play.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#96315 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence that shows that a global flood occurred anywhere around 4000 to 5000 years ago. There is a large body of evidence that indicates no flood occurred.

People keep making a claim of evidence and then offer nothing or evidence that has been widely refuted.

I don't think that link took me to the video you had in mind.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#96316 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You were off by a factor of one billion!!!!
Do you understand how they can tell the temperature of a star yet?
I went over it once I can go over it again.
If a star has a planet orbiting it you can tell how big the star is. I can explain that to you.
If you know how hot a star is and how big a star is and you know how far away from the star a planet is, calculating the temperature there is child's play.
I guess I missed that post somewhere. How can they tell the temp of a planet that is 1225 light years away?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96317 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I missed that post somewhere. How can they tell the temp of a planet that is 1225 light years away?
You missed the one where I posted about "black body radiation"?

Okay the quick version. A "black body" that is heated to a specific temperature will radiate electromagnetic energy. There will be a spectrum of energy involved. They have found by experimentation that the spectrum is dependent upon the temperature of the body and that is all. So by analyzing the spectrum of radiating bodies you can find out its temperature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radi...
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96318 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember which lecture of his I watched. But he claimed that geologists said that all of the Earth was under water in the Cretaceous. NO geologist has ever made this claim. In fact they would laugh at it. Since he was associated with a large university, and he clearly had given this talk more than once he was not only mistaken, he was clearly lying since such an obvious error would have been corrected.
http://geology.about.com/od/flooding/qt/flood...
The Comeback of Noah's Flood
In 1997 two marine geologists, William Ryan and Walter Pitman, published a book about Noah's Flood—the real one they discovered themselves. It's a geologic event that they say occurred several thousand years before the ancient Hebrews wrote the story down in its familiar 40-days/40-nights form. The response among Ryan and Pitman's readers was approving interest and follow-up research, the cultural equivalent of polite applause.(See my review.)

The very first "theories of the Earth" assumed a universal Flood for two good reasons: the word of God described it in convincing detail and the majority of the rocks of Europe were obviously formed under water (and having never seen lava flows, many early thinkers considered even basalt a marine sediment). But the geologic evidence grew and its contradictions with scripture could no longer be denied.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96320 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>There is no evidence that shows that a global flood occurred anywhere around 4000 to 5000 years ago. There is a large body of evidence that indicates no flood occurred.
People keep making a claim of evidence and then offer nothing or evidence that has been widely refuted.
The video I wanted you to see was the right one. Did you watch it?

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#96321 Aug 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the one where I posted about "black body radiation"?
Okay the quick version. A "black body" that is heated to a specific temperature will radiate electromagnetic energy. There will be a spectrum of energy involved. They have found by experimentation that the spectrum is dependent upon the temperature of the body and that is all. So by analyzing the spectrum of radiating bodies you can find out its temperature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radi...
And this "black body radiation" they know for a fact that it will be the same results of a planet that is 1250 light years away that has water. land and a atmosphere as they claim it has?
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96322 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>There is no evidence that shows that a global flood occurred anywhere around 4000 to 5000 years ago. There is a large body of evidence that indicates no flood occurred.
This is just 2 paragraphs from site.

In 1997 two marine geologists, William Ryan and Walter Pitman, published a book about Noah's Flood—the real one they discovered themselves. It's a geologic event that they say occurred several thousand years before the ancient Hebrews wrote the story down in its familiar 40-days/40-nights form. The response among Ryan and Pitman's readers was approving interest and follow-up research, the cultural equivalent of polite applause.(See my review.)

The very first "theories of the Earth" assumed a universal Flood for two good reasons: the word of God described it in convincing detail and the majority of the rocks of Europe were obviously formed under water (and having never seen lava flows, many early thinkers considered even basalt a marine sediment). But the geologic evidence grew and its contradictions with scripture could no longer be denied.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96323 Aug 7, 2013
So we analyze the spectrum of light coming off of a star, which they can do quite accurately. Now we need to know how big the star is. That is going to be directly related to its mass. I am not sure how astronomers get mass. I can think of a couple. If they know how far away from a star the planet is and its orbital period that gives you its mass. I am betting they can get it from spectrum, distance away from Earth, and relative brightness too, but I could not show you the math on that.

So now we have brightness and size. Temperature at any distance is easy to calculate using the flux of energy passing through that particular orbit.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96324 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
And this "black body radiation" they know for a fact that it will be the same results of a planet that is 1250 light years away that has water. land and a atmosphere as they claim it has?
It is the star that is radiating and not the planet, and the answer is yes. They are not measuring light from the planet when they measure its temperature.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#96325 Aug 7, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
An 'EXACT' temperature probably will never be known. However, we can estimate the temperature based upon several factors including the distance to the parent star and any greenhouse gasses detected in that planet's atmosphere.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v447/n71...

The temperature of the parent stars are estimated by several factors. See http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeedu/kstars/a...

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#96326 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what the article says. They are talking about a flood in the Black Sea _ONLY_.

To the people living in THAT area, it was very dramatic (as ALL regional floods are to the people in those areas). However, that is not evidence of a _GLOBAL_ flood.

The whole point of this article is that you can't take the Bible literally because it's not meant to be taken literally.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#96327 Aug 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>So which video am I supposed to watch? The first one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96328 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are misusing the word "theory".

And yes, very early geologists did assume a flood. They went looking for evidence for it. They found evidence against a flood instead. A few fools since have tried to deny the obvious and have given the geology world hours of laughter.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#96329 Aug 7, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The video I wanted you to see was the right one. Did you watch it?
I watched a video with some guy named Matt Mira. I didn't see anything alarming on it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#96330 Aug 7, 2013
And imagine, you should have read the article you linked. It does not substantiate Noah's Flood at all. It only describes how the Black Sea flooded in the past. But this was hardly Noah's Flood. Yes, villages had to be moved. No one died. That flood was so slow that you could not have just walked away from it, you could have crawled away from it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 5 min wichita-rick 14,232
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min wichita-rick 162,827
Word Association (Jun '10) 22 min wichita-rick 27,644
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 23 min skybobbie 1,066
*Classical music Thread* 23 min Michael 4
*Sad music/sad themes Thread* 24 min Crazy Beautiful 171
How about those Duggar's 49 min Jay R 12
News Cremains wash up on Scotland shoreline and you ... 2 hr Crystal_Clear722 5
GMGMike's Bar And Grill (Jan '10) 2 hr Enzo49 20,421
Poll Middle East Solutions 5 hr Bounty Hunter 25