Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
90,561 - 90,580 of 113,284 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
youtubeNews

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

ISRAEL to give POPE "Custody" of Temple Mount --

http://youtu.be/Qt9kEQB4ti8

Hulu

Roanoke, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you take a literal view of the Bible, then its about 6000 years. You cannot stretch it much past that.
God gives us no clues about understanding the age of the universe? On the contrary, the universe has its age written all over it, once we learned to look and understand what we were looking at. Scientists did not make up the figure of 13.6 billion for the age of the universe. They started with a blank slate, "We don't know", and learned from the evidence the universe itself presents.
Time and space is different elsewhere? Even that is something that we can judge by the evidence that arrives here on Earth, once we know how to look. Do not think scientists just assumed the rules were the same elsewhere. They devised ways of checking whether the universe out there behaves according to the same rules as here on Earth, and by every measure they appear to do so with full consistency.
Will never know everything about the universe? Great. What did you expect? And yet we know what we know. One example of that is that evolution is the only theory of life we have consistent with the facts, as far as we know right now. And there are a LOT of facts in this case, so our confidence is high.
But that is how all science works. There is no "scripture" in science. Its an entirely different way of thinking. Every fact and theory of science is forever open to correction and improvement.(That does not mean it open to any old interpretation though.) Science proceeds by doubt and skepticism. There is nothing wrong in science with saying "I don't know".
"Dont know why SETI failed". I do.....Does that make a human smarter or just lightyears ahead of the other primitive human animals?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO debate, it's the anti-religion crowd continuing their post Intelligent Design conversation. From here these same people will go to youtube and post there, then go to other chat walls. Most likely using multi log on IDs to go on. If a Christian fundamentalist shows up they'll attack like vultures on dead flesh is the desert.
I can not speak for others, but that is simply not the case.

I care not for your religious persuasions. Whatever deity you worship, go for it.

However, whenever you Fundies get your panties in a twist with something science (reality) shows that contradicts the LITERAL interpretation of the Bible, you need to bring FACTS, not Bible verses to the table.

Unambiguous evidence counts.

Until then, stay out of our public school systems.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
There is NO debate, it's the anti-religion crowd continuing their post Intelligent Design conversation. From here these same people will go to youtube and post there, then go to other chat walls. Most likely using multi log on IDs to go on. If a Christian fundamentalist shows up they'll attack like vultures on dead flesh is the desert.
yes, christian fundamentalism is dead flesh...as are all the other religious cults...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the theory of the Big Bang is the most plausible one there is. Some say there was an expansion instead of an explosion. But when you look at violent storms like lightning and thunderstorms, hurricanes, it makes sense to think there could've been a big bang that started the universe.
no-one says there was an explosion, except people that don't understand the big bang theory...

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Hulu wrote:
<quoted text>"Dont know why SETI failed". I do.....Does that make a human smarter or just lightyears ahead of the other primitive human animals?
Once SETI has a continuous lock on every radio frequency in the entire universe for eternity, then you can pronounce SETI a "failure".

SETI is privately funded. NO government funding whatsoever.

For mankind even to ASK a question re: "Is there anybody out there?", and the capacity to act on that initiative is beyond your simple understanding.

Sorry for you.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
You make me laugh with your 'mind your 9th commandment' entries in just about all of your posts, lol!
What reason would creationists have to lie?
There is no monetary reward for believing in creationism.
On the other hand, Evo-scientists have a very lucrative, financial gain and motive for keeping their story spread.
(psssst...they get to keep their jobs)
Right... you laugh at being told to tell the truth. Why do you ask such obvious and questions and make such banal claims? You are emotionally invested in the creation myth. Not everything or everyone requires a monetary reward in order to do wrong. There is money in the ancillary research that supports evolution - geology, genetics, biology... that money is coming from corporations that don't care if the Earth is 600 or 6 trillion years old - their bottom line is profit. If the research indicates an old Earth (as it certainly does) and supports the ToE (which it certainly does) it is not in their best interests to burn the evidence. It >IS< in the best interest of church borne ignorance to do so, and your go-to sources are an excellent example of denying reality so that your theological compadres can continue inane feel-good claims that everyone else "hates God." Priceless.

If you want to talk about money and keeping jobs, what about all the tithes and donations? How do you think CARM and DI keep their sites up? How about the 450,000 churches in the US alone, and every single one of them with their tax exempt hand out crying broke?
Mind your 9th commandment, Hypocrite. Or is that too much to ask?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Right... you laugh at being told to tell the truth. Why do you ask such obvious and questions and make such banal claims? You are emotionally invested in the creation myth. Not everything or everyone requires a monetary reward in order to do wrong. There is money in the ancillary research that supports evolution - geology, genetics, biology... that money is coming from corporations that don't care if the Earth is 600 or 6 trillion years old - their bottom line is profit. If the research indicates an old Earth (as it certainly does) and supports the ToE (which it certainly does) it is not in their best interests to burn the evidence. It >IS< in the best interest of church borne ignorance to do so, and your go-to sources are an excellent example of denying reality so that your theological compadres can continue inane feel-good claims that everyone else "hates God." Priceless.
If you want to talk about money and keeping jobs, what about all the tithes and donations? How do you think CARM and DI keep their sites up? How about the 450,000 churches in the US alone, and every single one of them with their tax exempt hand out crying broke?
Mind your 9th commandment, Hypocrite. Or is that too much to ask?
it is sad that the religious cults have to be subsidized. must be a very weak faith...

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, christian fundamentalism is dead flesh...as are all the other religious cults...
Not true at all. I have discussed Intelligent Design from a Pagan point of view, and the debate is all ways carried on as if I was a Christian. Most often I am accused of lying about being a pagan. Imagine that. One can't believe in a Perfect One and not be part of an organized religion. It is my opinion the reason why Atheist do this, is because they like to claim the non-religious crowd as part of them. Even though in the same survey on Wikipedia the answer atheist is there. So many times I have caught atheist, and for whatever reason they love doing it to Scandinavian countries the most. They ad atheist to non religious and claim that as the atheist percentage. To those that know history The Vikings was possibly the last stand of Paganism. I don't agree, but I do think the era of The Berserkers was Paganism's greatest stand. Just like modern China is Atheism's greatest.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true at all. I have discussed Intelligent Design from a Pagan point of view, and the debate is all ways carried on as if I was a Christian. Most often I am accused of lying about being a pagan. Imagine that. One can't believe in a Perfect One and not be part of an organized religion. It is my opinion the reason why Atheist do this, is because they like to claim the non-religious crowd as part of them. Even though in the same survey on Wikipedia the answer atheist is there. So many times I have caught atheist, and for whatever reason they love doing it to Scandinavian countries the most. They ad atheist to non religious and claim that as the atheist percentage. To those that know history The Vikings was possibly the last stand of Paganism. I don't agree, but I do think the era of The Berserkers was Paganism's greatest stand. Just like modern China is Atheism's greatest.
how is paganism not religious?

most people that say they are not religious mean they do not participate in any organized religious cult, but their ideas of their god are taken directly from one of those cults.

examples of this abound on these pages in people like almighty tzar...they claim to not belong to a religious cult, yet they spew the cult rhetoric and the bible to no end...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
We're taking your money and laughing all the way to the bank.
I thought you weren't associated with any religious cult...oh the lies the 'faithful' tell...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
And this:
ATHEISM IS A RELIGION as deemed by the courts.
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent design proponent declared:
The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.[15]
2.3% what a joke your religion is!
You claim all humans are born atheist.
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population that is atheist is at 2.3%.
That means that 97.7% of your congregation has left your faith!!
WTF is wrong with you guys?
97.7%!!!!!!!
Do you realize how many people that is?
Man you're not just losing them at that rate there running from you! LMFAO
teaching science and fact is not promoting atheism, it is promoting sanity and reason.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
And this:
The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.[15]
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population that is atheist is at 2.3%.
97.7%!!!!!!!
Both bad math and bad statistics! It's a two fer.

Your estimation of atheists in America is low by a factor of over 2. And no, 97.7% has not "left our congregation". Wherever did you come up with such a crazy number?

Lastly, atheism has nothing to do with evolution. Why do creatards think that you cannot accept the theory of evolution and Christianity at the same time?

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
We're taking your money and laughing all the way to the bank.
So it's about money then?

Not that I'm surprised....

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's about money then?
Not that I'm surprised....
religion is the second oldest profession...
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
And this:
97.7%!!!!!!!
LOL!!!

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
And this:

LMFAO
Superseded by Supreme Court decision

[NOTE: "SUPREME COURT", NOT "The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States"]

(Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38 (1985)),

where the court said:

"At one time it was thought that this right [referring to the right to choose one’s own creed] merely proscribed the preference of one Christian sect over another, but would not require equal respect for the conscience of the infidel, the atheist, or the adherent of a non-Christian faith such as Islam or Judaism.

But when the underlying principle has been examined in the crucible of litigation, the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith OR NONE AT ALL."

(Emphasis mine)

Sorry for you.

EQUAL to a religion, Not "The SAME as a religion"

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you weren't associated with any religious cult...oh the lies the 'faithful' tell...
He is the live..after death, zombie cult.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
As in this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...
A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.
Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.
Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.
According to a 2012 report by the Pew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...
According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."
Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population
While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:
The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%
persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,
In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
Your numbers are terribly wrong and low.

Check out this more recent, more accurate, more thorough survey. Atheism is healthier than it ever has been:

http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
There is NO debate, it's the anti-religion crowd continuing their post Intelligent Design conversation. From here these same people will go to youtube and post there, then go to other chat walls. Most likely using multi log on IDs to go on. If a Christian fundamentalist shows up they'll attack like vultures on dead flesh is the desert.
Nobody likes a whiner.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

192 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 min Independent1 16,044
Word Association (Mar '10) 8 min Hidden Nikki 15,835
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min wichita-rick 141,697
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 11 min Hidden Nikki 5,733
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 15 min dirty white boy- 13,081
Grammar Blogger Fired Over 'Homo' in 'Homophones' 25 min wichita-rick 5
Big dawg 32 min Harrison Freebird 2
Fisherman's wharf restaurant fields angry calls... 3 hr Phyllis Schlafly s Stain 4
I Come To Topix Especially To Read Posts By (Jan '11) 5 hr honeymylove 4,241
•••
•••