Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163749 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#95888 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it. You call that simple? What do you mean by expansion of universe is free from matter, free of physical point?
What is the traditional way of sensing it?
Explosion is a traditional way of seeing something increase in size.

Explosions are confined to within time , an event within space.
Expansion is the stretching of time and space.
Explosions do not make the total size of space or time larger, but spread things out within it.
Expansion makes the total size larger.
Explosion makes things spread out in space.
Expansion makes more space and time to spread matter out in.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#95889 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it. You call that simple? What do you mean by expansion of universe is free from matter, free of physical point?
What is the traditional way of sensing it?
An explosion makes debris spread out all over Texas.
Expansion makes Texas even bigger than it was.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95890 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no,not at all, i was pointing out that your comparing it to stars exploding and nuclear fusion was ridiculous and showed you didn't even grasp the basic physics of the issue.
i thought i used simple language, obviously not simple enough...
No you try to simplify it because you're unable to explain what you mean.

I simply pointed out the different types of explosion that occurs in the universe, so I wasn't specifically referring to one type of explosion. Please, you're going to attempt to explain physics, then you would already understand that explosions is a common phenomena in the universe no matter what kind.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95891 Aug 1, 2013
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
No monetary reward?
Really? You mean that these fundamentalist preacher guys
and women like we see on the tube aren't getting monetary
rewards? Jeez, some of them have their own private jet
airplanes to fly around in. They live in mansions and
hang gold and diamonds of their blond bimbo wives. They're
shepherds with big flocks that they sheer every Sunday.
It's a damn good living.
lying to thousands or millions of people is a good living?

it may be lucrative, but it is not good...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95892 Aug 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> An explosion makes debris spread out all over Texas.
Expansion makes Texas even bigger than it was.
Some scientists believe that both explosion and expansion of the universe are real.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95893 Aug 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Explosion is a traditional way of seeing something increase in size.
Explosions are confined to within time , an event within space.
Expansion is the stretching of time and space.
Explosions do not make the total size of space or time larger, but spread things out within it.
Expansion makes the total size larger.
Explosion makes things spread out in space.
Expansion makes more space and time to spread matter out in.
well stated...

in another anaology...Cybele has to buy new pants because her waist EXPANDED. she knew this as the front button EXPLODED off them...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95894 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>well stated...
in another anaology...Cybele has to buy new pants because her waist EXPANDED. she knew this as the front button EXPLODED off them...
No you thought explosions have to be gigantic in size like your ass.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95895 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No you try to simplify it because you're unable to explain what you mean.
I simply pointed out the different types of explosion that occurs in the universe, so I wasn't specifically referring to one type of explosion. Please, you're going to attempt to explain physics, then you would already understand that explosions is a common phenomena in the universe no matter what kind.
no, no, no...

you compared the big bang to stars exploding and fusion is stars. i can copy and paste the post if you want.

i clearly pointed out these phenomenom have nothing to do with the expansion of the universe.

perhaps if you want to talk about physics, you should have at least a third grade level understanding of them...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95896 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Some scientists believe that both explosion and expansion of the universe are real.
which ones, and what facts do they use to back up this belief?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95897 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No you thought explosions have to be gigantic in size like your ass.
yeah...quite obvious from my pictures that i am not of the body type to have a big ass...

you never have been too concerned with factual logic...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95898 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, no, no...
you compared the big bang to stars exploding and fusion is stars. i can copy and paste the post if you want.
i clearly pointed out these phenomenom have nothing to do with the expansion of the universe.
perhaps if you want to talk about physics, you should have at least a third grade level understanding of them...
No you said, "who said anything about explosion"

You're a LIAR. You take credit for other people's explanation and you do it all the time. You clearly stated that there was no explosion in the time of big bang.

The reason why I disagreed with that is because in the early stages of big bang when hydrogen was formed, it converted to other heavier elements by fusion.

Do you know how this happened in the sun before planets existed?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95899 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, no, no...

i clearly pointed out these phenomenom have nothing to do with the expansion of the universe.
Now you're twisting your words. What a liar.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95900 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no-one says there was an explosion, except people that don't understand the big bang theory...
^this is what you said.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95901 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No you said, "who said anything about explosion"
You're a LIAR. You take credit for other people's explanation and you do it all the time. You clearly stated that there was no explosion in the time of big bang.
The reason why I disagreed with that is because in the early stages of big bang when hydrogen was formed, it converted to other heavier elements by fusion.
Do you know how this happened in the sun before planets existed?
there was no explosion.

hydrogen only formed into heavier elements when the first stars were formed which was not early after the expansion of the big bang...

again, you should learn about what you are attempting to comment on before hitting the post button...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95902 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
^this is what you said.
yes, and it is a true and factual statement.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95903 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're twisting your words. What a liar.
not at all. it was you that brought the explosion of stars and nuclear fusion into a discussion where they do not belong...

again pointing out you lacking of understanding the topic you attempting to comment on.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#95904 Aug 1, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Sub, these are not MY numbers these number are from the CIA (central intelligent agency) and by Encyclopedia Britannica and Pew Research Center.
There is nothing wrong with these numbers other then they deflate your ego.
2%. That's it, that's all the atheist can claim out of the whole worlds population 2%.
I seriously doubt if those figures are from the "CIA". That is not the sort of intelligence that they gather. And your figures are way off. A more recent, more thorough, and more accurate poll puts the U.S. rate of atheism at 5% and the Global percentage at 13%:

http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/...

Read it and weep.

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#95905 Aug 1, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup
It's the get a life crowd (atheist) vs has life after life crowed.
IMO, well put and brilliant. Understand, when I make my statements, if you were to honestly look around. Atheist do overwhelmingly out post the Political Junkie. I think all could agree that group does need to get a life. Combining being atheist and a political junkie. That is just a total misfit. And I know Atheist that do agree with that.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95906 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>there was no explosion.
hydrogen only formed into heavier elements when the first stars were formed which was not early after the expansion of the big bang...
again, you should learn about what you are attempting to comment on before hitting the post button...
Explain the term "expansion of big bang."

What I'm trying to explain is how early forms of gases created other forms of matter. Without any type of "reaction" it would not create other elements. Please explain how heavier elements were formed if there were not any type of explosion? Hydrogen is highly reactive element, FYI.

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#95907 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how is paganism not religious?
most people that say they are not religious mean they do not participate in any organized religious cult, but their ideas of their god are taken directly from one of those cults.
examples of this abound on these pages in people like almighty tzar...they claim to not belong to a religious cult, yet they spew the cult rhetoric and the bible to no end...
I have read in dictionaries that would give you four different definitions of Pagan that comes right out and say not belonging to a religion. Your dictionary might say a group of believers that excludes the following religions. Form there post a few more popular religions. In some chats the question comes when do Wiccans leave paganism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*Sad music/sad themes Thread* 3 min Crazy Beautiful 136
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 9 min KIMberly504 162,772
Word Association (Jun '10) 56 min wichita-rick 27,632
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 1 hr wichita-rick 1,797
News 'It feels weird asking everybody for permission... 1 hr Spotted Girl 77
News Dead Man Wakes Up Before Trip to Morgue 1 hr wichita-rick 6
News Man sentenced for stabbing of bar doorman over ... 1 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 1
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr eleanorigby 40,643
Poll Middle East Solutions 2 hr Enzo49 16
Things that make life eaiser... 2 hr wichita-rick 587
More from around the web