Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#95860 Aug 1, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
And this:
ATHEISM IS A RELIGION as deemed by the courts.
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent design proponent declared:
The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.[15]
2.3% what a joke your religion is!
You claim all humans are born atheist.
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population that is atheist is at 2.3%.
That means that 97.7% of your congregation has left your faith!!
WTF is wrong with you guys?
97.7%!!!!!!!
Do you realize how many people that is?
Man you're not just losing them at that rate there running from you! LMFAO
I imagine that that my actual religion of Christianity once represented only 2.3% of the population. I don't think it was a joke then just because of the number of people that followed it.

I wonder what went wrong in your life that you lost faith and decided to promote lies and attack people to feel better about yourself. Seems like that is an actual danger to Christianity and spreading much faster than atheism from what I see here.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#95861 Aug 1, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Billions of years old=BYO
<quoted text>
Our solar system is unique in that the sun, moon and earth are set up to be the perfect home for life. Show me another set up like ours, I'd be interested to see that.
Ahh thank you, so it’s not one of the common and more well known abbreviations.

Wrong, we know you are keen on quoting outdated science but please try and keep up. The science of astronomy is discovering at least 2 stars with solar systems every day, several of them have planets within the “goldilocks zone”. Only within the last few months it has been discovered that “Gliese 667C” has 3 earth like, oxygen abundant planets in the “goldilocks zone”. Kepler-62f also measures adequate oxygen, carbon and water to sustain life.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, only a few thousand suns investigated and it appears that at least 10% of them have solar systems. And around 1% of those investigated have been shown to have planets in the “goldilocks zone”.

There are billions and billions and billions of further suns that have not yet or can never be investigated. If only 1% or even 0.1% or even 0.00001% have planets capable of sustaining life then that is still billions of solar systems with planets capable of sustaining life.

Our solar system is not unique

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#95862 Aug 1, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
...God says He has named every star.
That's a lot of names.

Is he on a first-name basis with all of them?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95863 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no-one says there was an explosion, except people that don't understand the big bang theory...
So there was no explosion? So you also think stars don't explode when they die? What happens during a nuclear reaction in the stars? What happened when hydrogen were fused to helium in the sun? How did the sun form?

Can you explain how the "expansion" in the beginning of the universe happened?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#95864 Aug 1, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<<quoted text>
...God says He has named every star.
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a lot of names.
Is he on a first-name basis with all of them?
You know....that means that there's a very good chance there's a star somewhere with MY NAME on it!

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#95865 Aug 1, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
As in this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...
A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.
Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.
Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.
According to a 2012 report by the Pew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...
According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."
Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population
While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:
The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%
persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,
In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
Well that of course is total rubbish.

The atheist population of one country alone, China with 42% of its population of 1.34 billion people being atheist, i.e. 5.2% of the world population. Then of course there are other countries.

30 to 40% of the European population of over 700 million people adds another 3 to 4% to this

Australia, Japan and Vietnam also have high atheist populations.

It seems that the CIA cannot add up.

93% members of the US NAS have a personal disbelief in god or have doubt/agnosticism
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm

In much of the world christianity is declining
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/1006...

Even in America
http://www.thankgodforevolution.com/node/2049

SBT
Level 2

Since: Jun 13

United States

#95866 Aug 1, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Not according to his own words both written and spoken.
<quoted text>An ambiguous reference to microbiology but no specifics from someone willing to claim a fictional call to an evolutionary biologist.
An outright lie about transitional forms which have been found for numerous fossils series.
Mayr and Gould huh? Wonder what Niles Eldredge would say about that as well as your dishonest and inaccurate portrayal of the theory.
<quoted text>Not really a point so much as a meaningless and misguided statement. I suppose technically any living animal is transitional in a sense unless it goes extinct. I have no reason to doubt Patterson's honesty. Boundaries in the DNA? You are so clueless on evolution and biology.

I have nothing to avoid that comes to mind. You have convinced me of your ignorance and dishonesty.
To be frank, your answers remind me of Atty Gen. Holder on the congressional witness stand when asked when he first learned of the 'Fast and Furious' operation. He responded; "I don't understand the question".

You are still avoiding the question concerning obvious failures of logic dealing with complexity and perfect molecular efficiency of the cell, showing convergent and common design from the very first bacteria on for supposedly 3.6 billion years. DNA for particular "kinds" have boundaries, the study I linked has finally locked your side out of its last and futile 'mutation' argument against ID in explaining life. A 3 dimensional code requires intelligence.

I wonder how many "possibly yes, possibly no" statements by Dr. Patterson were "edited" out of his last edition. It was his favorite comment on evolution.

http://www.garvan.org.au/news-events/news/the...

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#95867 Aug 1, 2013
SBT wrote:
You are still avoiding the question concerning obvious failures of logic dealing with complexity and perfect molecular efficiency of the cell, showing convergent and common design from the very first bacteria on for supposedly 3.6 billion years. DNA for particular "kinds" have boundaries, the study I linked has finally locked your side out of its last and futile 'mutation' argument against ID in explaining life. A 3 dimensional code requires intelligence.
I wonder how many "possibly yes, possibly no" statements by Dr. Patterson were "edited" out of his last edition. It was his favorite comment on evolution.
http://www.garvan.org.au/news-events/news/the...
Five dimensions of pseudo-scientific bunkum, nothing more.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#95868 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So there was no explosion?
Definitely not a traditional explosion, chemical or nuclear. An explosive growth, yes, and explosion in the traditional way of ripping something apart, not so much.
So you also think stars don't explode when they die?
Some do, some don't. It depends upon how massive they are. Are sun is not massive enough to blow up.
What happens during a nuclear reaction in the stars?
They get hot. Most of the heat is radiated off in some sort of electromagnetic radiation. We have a technical name for that. We call it star-light.
What happened when hydrogen were fused to helium in the sun?
It got hot and started to emit that energy mostly as electromagnetic radiation. We have a technical term for that. It is called sunlight.
How did the sun form?
Here, they can do better than I can:

http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/su...

Long story short, the sun started as a huge cloud of gas and dust, possibly as a result of the shock wave of a supernova. The concentration of gas and dust was high enough that it started to collapse under the force of gravity. As it collapsed the unbalanced rotational inertial caused it, and its planets to rotate. As it collapsed its temperature went up too, I do believe that is Boyle's law, though you could use the ideal gas law to explain it. Eventually it got hot enough for fusion to take place inside our sun.

Me, no. Perhaps a physicist could
Level 1

Location hidden

#95869 Aug 1, 2013
youtubeNews wrote:

ISRAEL to give POPE "Custody" of Temple Mount --

http://youtu.be/Qt9kEQB4ti8

Pretty cool

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95870 Aug 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely not a traditional explosion, chemical or nuclear. An explosive growth, yes, and explosion in the traditional way of ripping something apart, not so much.
<quoted text>
Some do, some don't. It depends upon how massive they are. Are sun is not massive enough to blow up.
<quoted text>
They get hot. Most of the heat is radiated off in some sort of electromagnetic radiation. We have a technical name for that. We call it star-light.
<quoted text>
It got hot and started to emit that energy mostly as electromagnetic radiation. We have a technical term for that. It is called sunlight.
<quoted text>
Here, they can do better than I can:
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/su...
Long story short, the sun started as a huge cloud of gas and dust, possibly as a result of the shock wave of a supernova. The concentration of gas and dust was high enough that it started to collapse under the force of gravity. As it collapsed the unbalanced rotational inertial caused it, and its planets to rotate. As it collapsed its temperature went up too, I do believe that is Boyle's law, though you could use the ideal gas law to explain it. Eventually it got hot enough for fusion to take place inside our sun.
<quoted text>
Me, no. Perhaps a physicist could
What is a traditional explosion? an atomic bomb? An explosion is an explosion whether we're talking about fission or fusion of atoms. It is clear that the theory of big bang implies some type of explosion.

Even the sun at this stage experience a type of explosion in its atmosphere. We call it solar storm or solar flare.

According to scientists, new elements are produced via nuclear reaction in the stars called nucleosynthesis. We have a technical term for that, we call it star dust. ;-)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#95871 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a traditional explosion? an atomic bomb? An explosion is an explosion whether we're talking about fission or fusion of atoms. It is clear that the theory of big bang implies some type of explosion.
Even the sun at this stage experience a type of explosion in its atmosphere. We call it solar storm or solar flare.
According to scientists, new elements are produced via nuclear reaction in the stars called nucleosynthesis. We have a technical term for that, we call it star dust. ;-)
The difference my dear is simple imagine this.
Explosions are matter and energy, the release of the energy spreads matter out from a specific point of origin. This explosive effect can be traced to a specific location by following a trail of matter from ground zero out.

The expansion of the universe , is specifically free from matter and purely a real estate equation. The expansion of space/time itself free of a physical point and matter itself.
It is every point and no point specifically. It is free of matter and energy in the traditional way of sensing it.

The expansion of the universe is he creation of space.
Maybe this can help you understand.

http://vimeo.com/19602286
Level 1

Location hidden

#95872 Aug 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no-one says there was an explosion, except people that don't understand the big bang theory...
Really?

About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang

http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/bigbang.htm

Astronomers Detect Most Powerful Explosion Since Big Bang

18 May 1998

The energy released in a cosmic gamma-rayburst detected in December 1997 is the most energy ever detected from an explosion in theUniverse, perhaps making it the most powerful explosion since the creation of the Universe in the Big Bang.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/features/ne...

big bang

(bg)
The explosion of an extremely small, hot, and dense body of matter that, according to some cosmological theories, gave rise to the universe between 12 and 20 billion years ago.

Most astronomers now believe that the universe began around 12 billion years ago in a cataclysmic explosion we call the Big Bang

Most astronomers now believe that the universe began around 12 billion years ago in a cataclysmic explosion we call the Big Bang

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1...
Level 1

Location hidden

#95873 Aug 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Both bad math and bad statistics! It's a two fer.

Your estimation of atheists in America is low by a factor of over 2. And no, 97.7% has not "left our congregation". Wherever did you come up with such a crazy number?

Lastly, atheism has nothing to do with evolution. Why do creatards think that you cannot accept the theory of evolution and Christianity at the same time?
Sub, these are not MY numbers these number are from the CIA (central intelligent agency) and by Encyclopedia Britannica and Pew Research Center.

There is nothing wrong with these numbers other then they deflate your ego.

2%. That's it, that's all the atheist can claim out of the whole worlds population 2%.
Level 1

Location hidden

#95874 Aug 1, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>So it's about money then?

Not that I'm surprised....
No but I'll take your money.:)
Level 1

Location hidden

#95875 Aug 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Your numbers are terribly wrong and low.

Check out this more recent, more accurate, more thorough survey. Atheism is healthier than it ever has been:

http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/...
Again they are not my numbers they are the numbers of 3 of the most respect agency.

Hard to take? 2%.

There it is 3 major agency.

The United States of America's Central Intelligent Agency.

the Pew Research Center

Encyclopedia Britannica
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#95876 Aug 1, 2013
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism has nothing to do with Evolution. Why would scientists support Evolution with no evidence?
I wonder if any of these religious zombies
have ever considered the possibility of
evolution being God's method of creation?
Level 1

Location hidden

#95877 Aug 1, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I imagine that that my actual religion of Christianity once represented only 2.3% of the population. I don't think it was a joke then just because of the number of people that followed it.

I wonder what went wrong in your life that you lost faith and decided to promote lies and attack people to feel better about yourself. Seems like that is an actual danger to Christianity and spreading much faster than atheism from what I see here.
Lies? Me? LOL

2% buddy that's fact.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.

Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.

Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.

According to a 2012 report by the Pew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...

According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."

Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population

While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...

Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95880 Aug 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So there was no explosion? So you also think stars don't explode when they die? What happens during a nuclear reaction in the stars? What happened when hydrogen were fused to helium in the sun? How did the sun form?
stars do explode, but they are not singularities. the workings of stars an fusion do not come into play as there were no atoms to fuse, there were no protons or electrons, there were not even any quarks.

all the cosmologists i have read say that is one of the greatest misconceptions about the big bang theory, that is was not an explosion like a supernova...
Level 1

Location hidden

#95881 Aug 1, 2013
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder if any of these religious zombies
have ever considered the possibility of
evolution being God's method of creation?
Does Evolution contradict the Bible?
Is it possible to believe in evolution and still be a Christian? If being a Christian means believing that the Bible is the authentic, trustworthy Word of God and that Christ is our Creator and Savior, the answer is “No.” One cannot believe these things and also believe in evolution as the explanation for the origin of life on our earth as we know it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
One word~~multiple meanings! (Oct '13) 25 min andet1987 725
nascar.... (Feb '14) 30 min Harrison Freebird 663
2words into 2new words (May '12) 33 min andet1987 1,325
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 37 min Trouser Cough 55,245
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 37 min andet1987 181
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 40 min Trouser Cough 30,288
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 51 min andet1987 2,928
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 1 hr wichita-rick 122
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 152,357
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr -Lea- 25,512