Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#95814 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
...one more thing...the Pope has accepted evolution and martians (if that tells you anything about why I don't prescribe to their teachings)
You've already lost near half of your young people.

How the heck do you expect to create the next generation of halfwits?

"The poll by the Public Religion Research Institute found that 44 percent – nearly half – of young evangelicals between the ages of 18 to 29 favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry."

Here's the link: http://www.nola.com/religion/index.ssf/2011/0...

You're hemorraging believers and homophobes.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#95815 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly how many feel about you guys giving us an estimate of time for example: 40,000 years, 4.6 Billion years, 50 Million years.
Sounds like it is numbers pulled out the air, to many people.
That is only true until you look into the reasons that scientists propose those numbers. For example, that 4.6 billion for Earth is a long process of refinement. Why don't you read up on the history of Earth's age estimate and learn a bit about the processes scientists go through to arrive at a figure?

Remember, they started only with the preconception that 6000 years was what the Bible said, and the earliest geologists marched out into the world really believing that and horribly surprised that the world did not seem to fit their preconceptions. The notion of a 6000 year old world was dead by 200 years ago, well before the theory of evolution existed, by the way.

Try this for a starter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#95816 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is with your "plucked out of the air' aging process, that if you have several scientist separately carefully observe and test, they ALL come up with DIFFERENT DATES.
Explain this.
(hint: they're making this s*** up as they go)
Learning the truth about the age of Earth was and is a process , just like learning anything. If you want to know how the process in discovering the age of Earth went then this is the best way here.
Science is a process, one that progresses with new discovery and we haven't discovered everything about this planet yet , but have a vast amount of knowledge that has accumulated over the years by the progression of science.

We now have the ability to expand our knowledge about the universe, but are barely more than fledglings when it comes to that. But as far as the Earth you can learn what the scientists before leaned and how here if you really want to know.
I have my doubts you want to do anything but argue though.

imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95817 Jul 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is only true until you look into the reasons that scientists propose those numbers. For example, that 4.6 billion for Earth is a long process of refinement. Why don't you read up on the history of Earth's age estimate and learn a bit about the processes scientists go through to arrive at a figure?
Remember, they started only with the preconception that 6000 years was what the Bible said, and the earliest geologists marched out into the world really believing that and horribly surprised that the world did not seem to fit their preconceptions. The notion of a 6000 year old world was dead by 200 years ago, well before the theory of evolution existed, by the way.
Try this for a starter...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth
The Bible does not say that the world is only 6000 years old, it tells of the years that humans have lived on earth, when they were born and died, who was in power, etc....We add the years that way.

Remember, everything was created first and then man last.

God actually gives us no clues to truly understand the age of the universe. He does tell us we would not understand what He understands and that His time is not the same as our time.

Just as scripture states:

1. Scientist still do not understand everything about the universe and probably never will.

2. Time in space and in other galaxies and other solar systems is different than our time on earth.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#95818 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does not say that the world is only 6000 years old, it tells of the years that humans have lived on earth, when they were born and died, who was in power, etc....We add the years that way.
God actually gives us no clues to truly understand the age of the universe. He does tell us we would not understand what He understands and that His time is not the same as our time.
1. Scientist still do not understand everything about the universe and probably never will.
2. Time in space and in other galaxies and other solar systems is different than our time on earth.
Chapter and verse?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#95819 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! It's amazing that folks like you can post something like that and NOT want to slap the stupid out of yourself!

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#95820 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
...Our solar system is unique in that the sun, moon and earth are set up to be the perfect home for life. Show me another set up like ours, I'd be interested to see that.
Earth was not "set up" to support life Imagine, life adapted to what Earth had to offer, and has evolved to who we are today.

Imagine this; If you have an infinite quantity of monkeys banging on an infinite amount of pianos for an infinite amount of time, eventually one will reproduce a perfect rendition of a Mozart masterpiece.

Now consider an infinite universe with an infinite amount of solar systems with an infinite amount of planets and tell me you honestly believe we are the only life-bearing planet in existence.
Lol – I know, of course you wouldn't think such an absurd thought. Afterall, no one is that close-minded.

Right?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#95821 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>

Only because the more we find out about nature, the more questions are raised. Of course we will never learn EVERYTHING about the Universe, but we will continue to learn MORE than we did yesterday.
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible never referred to "other galaxies" or "other solar systems", other than what you're trying to read into certain Bible verses.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#95822 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you take a literal view of the Bible, then its about 6000 years. You cannot stretch it much past that.

God gives us no clues about understanding the age of the universe? On the contrary, the universe has its age written all over it, once we learned to look and understand what we were looking at. Scientists did not make up the figure of 13.6 billion for the age of the universe. They started with a blank slate, "We don't know", and learned from the evidence the universe itself presents.

Time and space is different elsewhere? Even that is something that we can judge by the evidence that arrives here on Earth, once we know how to look. Do not think scientists just assumed the rules were the same elsewhere. They devised ways of checking whether the universe out there behaves according to the same rules as here on Earth, and by every measure they appear to do so with full consistency.

Will never know everything about the universe? Great. What did you expect? And yet we know what we know. One example of that is that evolution is the only theory of life we have consistent with the facts, as far as we know right now. And there are a LOT of facts in this case, so our confidence is high.

But that is how all science works. There is no "scripture" in science. Its an entirely different way of thinking. Every fact and theory of science is forever open to correction and improvement.(That does not mean it open to any old interpretation though.) Science proceeds by doubt and skepticism. There is nothing wrong in science with saying "I don't know".
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95823 Jul 31, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Chapter and verse?
Isaiah 55:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.

“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Psalm 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past

2 Peter 3:8 ...one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95824 Jul 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you take a literal view of the Bible, then its about 6000 years. You cannot stretch it much past that.
God gives us no clues about understanding the age of the universe? On the contrary, the universe has its age written all over it, once we learned to look and understand what we were looking at. Scientists did not make up the figure of 13.6 billion for the age of the universe. They started with a blank slate, "We don't know", and learned from the evidence the universe itself presents.
Time and space is different elsewhere? Even that is something that we can judge by the evidence that arrives here on Earth, once we know how to look. Do not think scientists just assumed the rules were the same elsewhere. They devised ways of checking whether the universe out there behaves according to the same rules as here on Earth, and by every measure they appear to do so with full consistency.
Will never know everything about the universe? Great. What did you expect? And yet we know what we know. One example of that is that evolution is the only theory of life we have consistent with the facts, as far as we know right now. And there are a LOT of facts in this case, so our confidence is high.
But that is how all science works. There is no "scripture" in science. Its an entirely different way of thinking. Every fact and theory of science is forever open to correction and improvement.(That does not mean it open to any old interpretation though.) Science proceeds by doubt and skepticism. There is nothing wrong in science with saying "I don't know".
In scripture God really doesn't give us exact numbers of years of the universe, He gives us enough info to make us curious and explore.

There are many things in science that coincide with scripture.

I'm not knocking science just because there is more to learn, I'm just showing similarities between the Word and what we see.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#95825 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah 55:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Psalm 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past
2 Peter 3:8 ...one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
And you think that means this???
imagine2011 wrote:
You're 'round the bend.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95826 Jul 31, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because the more we find out about nature, the more questions are raised. Of course we will never learn EVERYTHING about the Universe, but we will continue to learn MORE than we did yesterday.
<quoted text>
The Bible never referred to "other galaxies" or "other solar systems", other than what you're trying to read into certain Bible verses.
I'm not knocking science because they don't know everything, I'm just stating similarities with scripture and what we see today from scientist.

Galaxies and solar systems are mentioned in the Bible, stars, sun, moons, planets, heavens, and God says He has named every star.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95827 Jul 31, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think that means this???
<quoted text>
You're 'round the bend.
How would you interpret those scriptures?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#95828 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you interpret those scriptures?
I don't. I see them nothing more than some interesting prose from some ancient and unnamed author.

Level 8

Location hidden

#95829 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it supposed the world began with Adam, the Jew god created. They ignore there were people already here, and the call them the Goyim who they don't consider. You're just stupid enough to buy into their lies.

Don't believe me? Check out what the date is according to the Jews on their special calendar.

Level 8

Location hidden

#95830 Jul 31, 2013
Wed, 31 July 2013 = 24th of Av, 5773
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95831 Jul 31, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. I see them nothing more than some interesting prose from some ancient and unnamed author.
Hmmm....well, that doesn't help much.

At least I'm trying to keep an open mind about evolution.

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#95832 Jul 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
wow. You guys still debating this? What else is new, or better yet, what do you really want to know?
There is NO debate, it's the anti-religion crowd continuing their post Intelligent Design conversation. From here these same people will go to youtube and post there, then go to other chat walls. Most likely using multi log on IDs to go on. If a Christian fundamentalist shows up they'll attack like vultures on dead flesh is the desert.
youtubeNews

AOL

#95833 Jul 31, 2013

ISRAEL to give POPE "Custody" of Temple Mount --

http://youtu.be/Qt9kEQB4ti8

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Top Deal Breakers in Relationships (Feb '13) 8 min SLY WEST 836
(Non Computer) Mouse issues HELP!! 14 min Grace Nerissa 43
Things Not To Say In Bed (Oct '11) 16 min SLY WEST 2,662
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 26 min Grace Nerissa 36,601
Can you prove Santa isn't in the KFC chicken? 29 min SLY WEST 4
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 31 min Grace Nerissa 24,257
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr SLY WEST 147,642
I Like..... (Mar '14) 3 hr SLY WEST 376
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 4 hr -Lea- 21,356
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 6,370