Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#95774 Jul 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Dan. Been doing lots of things lately. How about you?
Do tell what you can come up with...
Hi, Cy!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95775 Jul 31, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Be advised I am a Pagan, of course you don't believe me. Because I back them over Atheist. I accuse Atheist of using the science of control as practiced by religions, but they do it better. And please spare me trivia from the middle, bronze and dark ages. I won't respect that because that was the ways of those times.
It's okay, I don't discriminate in my disbelief of mystical sky daddies. Whether they are Semitic, Arabic, Indian or Celtic makes little difference to me.
Rethink what you perceive as "trivia." Control practiced in stone, middle, bronze, dark or iron ages is pertinent to control practiced through politics, religion, science, commerce - people and social dynamics haven't changed that much in the past few thousand years of recorded history.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95776 Jul 31, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I am familiar, as a jogger that is the voice that tells you to stop prior to completing your goal. It is what drives you from violent actions. Yes, religions do have bad points, but there are those that need it. If you don't well bully for you. Rejoice, open a beverage of your choice and celebrate ok
The voice that tells you to stop or go is called "thought." There are people who need structure to understand spirituality. Far more often than not the religious structure is in lieu of spirituality, otherwise why would I >constantly< remind Creationists to tell the truth?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#95777 Jul 31, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I have been enjoying the simpler things in life while dealing with the more complicated parts. That and a lot of reading. For pure entertainment, I am visiting my old friend Poul Anderson. I enjoy his work even when I have read some of his books several times.
Well that is going to make it difficult for me to get any sleep. My own fault though. I opened the door.
It is good to see you back. Your perspective has been missed.
Aww. really...That's good to know.

I haven't heard of Poul Anderson. Sci-fi can be interesting.
I try to find time to read a book. Lately been reading science articles, physics in particular. Maybe we can talk about that? ;-)

Level 5

above and beyond

#95778 Jul 31, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hi, Cy!
Hey Mac! You're still here ;-) howdy?

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#95779 Jul 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mac! You're still here ;-) howdy?
Oh, sure, I'm a fixture.

I still read a lot more than I post, though.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#95780 Jul 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I try to find time to read a book. Lately been reading science articles, physics in particular. Maybe we can talk about that? ;-)
Anderson was one of the Grand Masters. There's only a handful - okay, maybe 10 - at that level.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95781 Jul 31, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
From your source:
"However, Isaiah 40:22 seems to suggest that this expanding of the galaxies was a one time event that occurred in a very short amount of time (probably in less than 24 hours), and that the expansion may no longer be occurring."
The expansion is still occurring.
Did you read all 17 verses on the website?

Also, since you say the earth is BYO, and God says our days are like a thousand years to Him, could be longer.

How could scientist KNOW for sure the the universe is still expanding when they can't even agree on the following subjects?

Here is just a sample of what science doesn't know about our sun.

The eight space mysteries science CAN'T solve - from our inside-out sun to the 75% of the universe that has 'gone missing'

Dark Energy, which appears to make up 73% of everything that exists, and still it canít be seen, or even measured. The energy is 'needed' to balance out the mathematics of the universe, but may not ever be able to be detected.

Dark Matter, which is closely linked to Dark Energy, is the term used to describe the Ďglueí which holds everything in the universe together.

An image of the sun taken by Nasa's orbiting Solar Dynamics Observatory - but scientists still don't understand why the sun's corona is so hot However, Adrian Cho, who wrote Scienceís essay on the subject, believes that unlike dark energy, scientists stand a reasonably good chance of one day actually detecting a particle of the stuff.

Where are the missing baryons? Baryons are particles that make normal matter, but for some reason when adding up dark energy, dark matter and then leaving the rest to baryons, researchers canít come up with a number that equals 100%- hence the mystery

Why do stars explode? Many of the processes of star formation and solar system formation are known - but researchers admit they still donít really understand what goes on in a star when it explodes, forming what is known as a supernova.

What re-ionized the universe? For a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang, electrons were stripped from atoms - we have no idea why.

What is the source of the most energetic cosmic rays? Weíre bombarded with them every day, yet researchers canít agree on where they come from. Our atmosphere shields us from most of the rays.

Why is our solar system so odd? Did our solar system form the way it did by following logical steps, or was it all just chaos and chance? Nobody really knows.

Why is the sun's corona so hot? Those that study the sun still really donít know. The corona is the furthest layer from the sun's core, but it's still incredibly hot - and the reasons for this strange 'layering' of our nearest star are still a mystery.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl ...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#95782 Jul 31, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Anderson was one of the Grand Masters. There's only a handful - okay, maybe 10 - at that level.
A master to be sure up there with Silverberg, Clarke, Bradbury, Heinlein and Asimov (and dare I say it? Iain M Banks)

And prolific too.

Level 5

above and beyond

#95783 Jul 31, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Anderson was one of the Grand Masters. There's only a handful - okay, maybe 10 - at that level.
Funny. I can say that about Darwin.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#95784 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. So?
imagine2011 wrote:
Also, since you say the earth is BYO, and God says our days are like a thousand years to Him, could be longer.
Could. Or could not. Or just a story.
imagine2011 wrote:
How could scientist KNOW for sure the the universe is still expanding when they can't even agree on the following subjects?
We call it "observation". Perhaps you've heard of it.
imagine2011 wrote:
Here is just a sample of what science doesn't know about our sun.
Blah, blah, blah. The "Science doesn't know everything so science knows nothing" has always been and will always remain a classic piss-poor argument.

And you don't have to keep spamming this stuff. I read it the first time.

Level 5

above and beyond

#95785 Jul 31, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A master to be sure up there with Silverberg, Clarke, Bradbury, Heinlein and Asimov (and dare I say it? Iain M Banks)
And prolific too.
Stephen King is well, the king. Oh wait Stephen Hawking is....
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95786 Jul 31, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. So?
<quoted text>
Could. Or could not. Or just a story.
<quoted text>
We call it "observation". Perhaps you've heard of it.
<quoted text>
Blah, blah, blah. The "Science doesn't know everything so science knows nothing" has always been and will always remain a classic piss-poor argument.
And you don't have to keep spamming this stuff. I read it the first time.
This is exactly how many feel about you guys giving us an estimate of time for example: 40,000 years, 4.6 Billion years, 50 Million years.
Sounds like it is numbers pulled out the air, to many people. There isn't a way to contradict this aging process nor any way to prove it. It's evo's way of saying, "We wouldn't make anything up...so just trust and believe us, since you can't positively prove anything's true age.

Level 6

#95787 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ö
Science can be sure the universe is expanding because science can measure the effect in more than one way, each giving verification to the findings of other.

You are confusing matter and energy, the ďmissingĒ 5/6th (not 75%) of the universe is dark matter which can now be catalogued, measured and itís effects photographed.

Dark matter and dark energy are two completely different things.

Of course science understands why the corona gets so hot,(they didnít up to the late 40s early 50s when a rational and mathematically provable explanation was conjectured but they do now) and have sent up satellites to verify their understanding.

No mystery, see above

Again, very old hat, science has understood the processes of a stars life for years (including the massive stars that go nova). I occasionally dine with a celebrated particle physicist who has great fun explaining how you are made from the ashes of a 2nd generation sun and will more than likely become fuel for a 4th generation sun.

Plasma and pressure, so yes we do have an idea why.

Everywhere, the universe is big, driving to the supermarket is peanuts compared to the size of the universe. In every direction stars are exploding all the time releasing energy deliberately to confuse the godbots.

Is our solar system odd? As more and more solar systems are discovered (currently at the rate of 2 or 3 a day science considers our solar system is typical. The solar system formed by accretion caused by gravity, just as all other planets, solar systems and galaxies are formed. You also have problems with the meanings of chaos and logic, the solar system formed of the logical consequence of gravity but gravity has no concept of logic, the results are chaotic, that chaos is itself caused by gravity.

I assume this is a christian trick to ask the same question over and over again, you have previously asked this, see above.

If you want to use half century old science to make a point please donít be surprised if you are shown to be out of date.

Each of these statements can be verified by searching google (or whatever) for the relevant terms. 50 year old science does your credibility not the slightest good.

“A have offended, Brickie, Dark”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Blue, Suncore, Replay whoever

#95788 Jul 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been reading up on epigenetics or as much as I can absorb along with entertainment reading.

We can discuss physics. I find it interesting, but math is hard. When you get to the difficult parts, I will just look pretty and smile.

I was trying to absorb an article regarding a new theory of space and time. I still can't wrap my head around all the spinning fields.

Level 6

#95789 Jul 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Stephen King is well, the king. Oh wait Stephen Hawking is....
Iím not keen on Stephen King although I have read everything if his up to Pet Sematary but got bored. It seems to me that itís the name that sells rather than the content of the books.

The Hawking books are in another league, I donít consider reading them to be entertainment but education.

By the way welcome back

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#95790 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly how many feel about you guys giving us an estimate of time for example: 40,000 years, 4.6 Billion years, 50 Million years.
Sounds like it is numbers pulled out the air, to many people. There isn't a way to contradict this aging process nor any way to prove it. It's evo's way of saying, "We wouldn't make anything up...so just trust and believe us, since you can't positively prove anything's true age.
The estimates of time and aging comes to us from the physicists not the biologists. So you're barking up the wrong tree. In any event, there is solid science to back up the physicists.

What it sounds like to "many people" is more a comment on their education rather than an indictment of science.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#95791 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>This is exactly how many feel about you guys giving us an estimate of time for example: 40,000 years, 4.6 Billion years, 50 Million years.
Except all of the supporting data is out there for you to come to your own conclusions.

If you're not comfortable with the current findings of science, research what we DO say, and why. Then develop an alternate hypothesis, test and re-test your hypothesis, and publish the results.

If you discover something that overturns our current scientific understanding, congratulations!

You're a Nobel Prize winner, and a Geek-hero rock star.

On the other hand, if you dont like what science says because it contradicts your deeply-ingrained religious belief, and are too lazy to do the work described above... So sorry.

“A have offended, Brickie, Dark”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Blue, Suncore, Replay whoever

#95792 Jul 31, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The dating isn't pulled out of the air though. It is based on sound theory and data. It isn't just backed up with a claim that is left hanging. That not everyone understands the underlying principles does not falsify it. Where is your responsibility to learn?

From what I see on here, it is fundamentalists claiming things out of the air and it is usually fired out both barrels as a claim for their side and an insult against their opposition.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#95793 Jul 31, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Science can be sure the universe is expanding because science can measure the effect in more than one way, each giving verification to the findings of other.
You are confusing matter and energy, the ďmissingĒ 5/6th (not 75%) of the universe is dark matter which can now be catalogued, measured and itís effects photographed.
Dark matter and dark energy are two completely different things.
Of course science understands why the corona gets so hot,(they didnít up to the late 40s early 50s when a rational and mathematically provable explanation was conjectured but they do now) and have sent up satellites to verify their understanding.
No mystery, see above
Again, very old hat, science has understood the processes of a stars life for years (including the massive stars that go nova). I occasionally dine with a celebrated particle physicist who has great fun explaining how you are made from the ashes of a 2nd generation sun and will more than likely become fuel for a 4th generation sun.
Plasma and pressure, so yes we do have an idea why.
Everywhere, the universe is big, driving to the supermarket is peanuts compared to the size of the universe. In every direction stars are exploding all the time releasing energy deliberately to confuse the godbots.
Is our solar system odd? As more and more solar systems are discovered (currently at the rate of 2 or 3 a day science considers our solar system is typical. The solar system formed by accretion caused by gravity, just as all other planets, solar systems and galaxies are formed. You also have problems with the meanings of chaos and logic, the solar system formed of the logical consequence of gravity but gravity has no concept of logic, the results are chaotic, that chaos is itself caused by gravity.
I assume this is a christian trick to ask the same question over and over again, you have previously asked this, see above.
If you want to use half century old science to make a point please donít be surprised if you are shown to be out of date.
Each of these statements can be verified by searching google (or whatever) for the relevant terms. 50 year old science does your credibility not the slightest good.
I have no clue what you mean by 'Christian trick' and where have I asked a question over and over and actually got any answers?

If the world is BYO, then why would 50 YO science (that hasn't been changed) make a difference.

They still TODAY, no 50YO, admit they do not understand all about the sun, including what the center of it is made of.

and.....yes, our solar system is unique, and for a good reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 8 min Princess Hey 6,038
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 9 min Princess Hey 1,423
A Five Letter Word (Jan '12) 11 min Princess Hey 2,134
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min Laura french 147,713
What's your tip for the day? 17 min Times are a Changing 1,116
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 29 min Princess Hey 455
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 31 min Mark 1,729
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 37 min ---Word Woman--- 21,395
Missing posters.. (Jan '14) 37 min wichita-rick 32
Ebola in America 2 hr Law D Doll 37