Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#95283 Jul 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought rationalizes perception, but is not in itself a perception.
You perceive with the senses and think what you see.
they are a part of the same process, with no perception there can be no thought. You have to have both to be conscious and a third thing for it to mean anything (memory).
It's the same as asking what eyes did you see it with.
With no input from the senses you are unconscious or dead.

“The Devil in details ”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95284 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You perceive with the senses and think what you see.
they are a part of the same process, with no perception there can be no thought. You have to have both to be conscious and a third thing for it to mean anything (memory).
It's the same as asking what eyes did you see it with.
With no input from the senses you are unconscious or dead.
You assume unconscious or dead, only because of the lack of a memory impression...those who have had amnesia are still quite alive, even without recall.

Level 8

Location hidden

#95285 Jul 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume unconscious or dead, only because of the lack of a memory impression...those who have had amnesia are still quite alive, even without recall.
Lack of past memory is not absence of total memory, you cannot live without memory.
You wouldn't know to breathe your system would shut down.

“The Thunder Rolls”

Since: Jul 13

The Lightning Strikes

#95286 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Lack of past memory is not absence of total memory, you cannot live without memory.
A new born baby has no memory but breathes very well and it body functions very well.

“The Devil in details ”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95287 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Lack of past memory is not absence of total memory, you cannot live without memory.
Anyone who is unconscious still breathes. The same as a tree still grows even without memory. In your scenario, anyone who was unconscious would die immediately from lack of memory function.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#95288 Jul 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So the point he is making here, is ....
He makes a large number of salient points in that 11 minutes.

For example, is it honest and moral of you Christians to attribute everything good to Jesus working in your life, and then all the bad -- the disasters, the disappointments, the cancers, the unanswered prayers, etc. to, well, "God works in mysterious ways"?

Level 8

Location hidden

#95289 Jul 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who is unconscious still breathes. The same as a tree still grows even without memory. In your scenario, anyone who was unconscious would die immediately from lack of memory function.
Unconscious is not out of memory,it is unconscious memory and a baby has raw memory but it has memorized in the brain stem or reptilian brain the primal functions to what it needs to survive.
The reptilian brain is responsible for telling your heart to beat breathe etc, if all memory was lost you would die.

Level 8

Location hidden

#95290 Jul 14, 2013
As matter of fact , those who are brain dead, and can only live by being hooked to machines have lost the memory in the reptilian brain and/or it no longer functions.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#95291 Jul 15, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe so, but I even recall US exchange students at my high school in NZ and they were surprised at how inclusive it was. We noted how they were quite superficial in their concerns. I don't mean they were superficial people, but its a quality. Too much makeup on the girls, hard to explain. We were sports mad, but the first "jock" I ever met who was into working out to "build his pecs" rather than improve his rugby or swimming or sprinting like we were was an American exchange student. Maybe he was planning to impress everyone when he returned home.
I would suggest that the exaggerated hollywood version still reveals an underlying truth about school in the USA. Admittedly, I do not have first hand experience, but I do know what Americans notice once they are out of that environment.
But I won't belabour the point any more. The underlying one was that SBT's claims that the alienation and lack of meaning that he sees driven by evolution and "atheism" are due to different factors.
Again, good points. I have no firsthand experience with peer pressure or the need to be popular, but of course this doesn't mean it doesn't exsist.

Mike made a very good point about parenting, rather lack of. When I was young we listened to our parents. God forbid getting a detention or a note which needed to be signed, I'd have rather gone off into the wilderness and live with wolves than to get a detention slip signed by my parents back in the day. This doesn't seem to be the case nowadays.

Again, I was too focused on learning and guess I was fortunate to not have been so concerned about my poularity. I never knew any kid who was depressed or considered suicide, I know it's a reality, but never experienced it first hand. Maybe it is a factor, but if so, it's only one of many. Again, complex, and I'm not a psychologist.
Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#95293 Jul 15, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>He makes a large number of salient points in that 11 minutes.

For example, is it honest and moral of you Christians to attribute everything good to Jesus working in your life, and then all the bad -- the disasters, the disappointments, the cancers, the unanswered prayers, etc. to, well, "God works in mysterious ways"?
Do you think God should be your personal Jennie?

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#95294 Jul 15, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
That seems to be the view of many modern Christians.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95295 Jul 15, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
why would god be a female donkey?

your cult casts him more like a genie, or a jinn...

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#95296 Jul 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
why would god be a female donkey?
your cult casts him more like a genie, or a jinn...
The most inept Genie ever.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#95424 Jul 18, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
The most inept Genie ever.
At the very least a Trickster God.

Think Loki, Coyote, Puck...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#95433 Jul 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>At the very least a Trickster God.
Think Loki, Coyote, Puck...
yes, other cults at least invented some cool gods.

the Abrahamic cult's god is just a bitter old jewish man ...."goddamn kids...get off my lawn!"

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95434 Jul 20, 2013
gr umpy wrote:
<quoted text>See post #117.
Why? Because you stated,
gr umpy wrote:
<quoted text>
"We use intelligence to replicate nature. That pre-supposes intent (design)."
?
Nah.
Only good jokes bear repeating.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95435 Jul 20, 2013
Aw dangit. Lost track of the threads and thought I'd found a new one. Sorry folks.

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#95447 Jul 20, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its abundantly clear, SBT, that the only exposure to the evidence you have experienced is the baloney you learned in creationist site or literature.
<quoted text>
There is a level below which this kind of debate is futile.
Debating science with idiots and liars like Ben Stein and Hovind who will use the debate to showboat is a waste of time. Frankly, their tactics are daytime talkshow level and they would be laughed out of any academic debating circles where you actually have to respect data and provide coherent logic for your claims.
<quoted text>
Good lord, do you think DAWKINS originated the idea of a mutation???? It goes right back to Darwin, 150 year, spontaneous random variation. And as soon as the DNA code was cracked, mutations were understood to be random changes in the sequence.
Sorry you were not better informed as a child. I was.
<quoted text>
Refuted.
<quoted text>
Nope. At the cell level, it gets even better for evolution.
<quoted text>
99.85% of biologists accept it.
<quoted text>
Read the following:
The Treaty of Tripoli (Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary)...signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796 and at Algiers ...on January 3, 1797. It was submitted to the Senate by President John Adams, receiving ratification unanimously from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797 and signed by Adams, taking effect as the law of the land on June 10, 1797.
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
Explain that.
One Catholic was allowed in. In truth, John Adams ' work on government was foundational, Jefferson acknowledged that. We know that Jeff and Franklin did poorly in the area of morals, hopefully they got it right in the end, but are poor examples of upstanding seculars.
Our motto, "In God We Trust" is based on the Bible, we have been blessed as the greatest Nation on Earth, devising the best inventions and innovations, feeding parts of the planet and training more, have the most prosperous people and our brave military saving the world from slavery more than once as a "Christian Nation", apart from the philosophies you cited. You are mistaken in your characterizations and our history.
The sick practices of the nations Israel displaced in Canaan are well documented, offering children in fire, widespread child abuse and more that’s unprintable here. God made the decision, sad as it was, but from what we now know of the generational effects of pedophiles and their victims, it must have been justified, He is the perfect Judge.
Get a life.

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#95451 Jul 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a life.
What a brilliant, on point rebuttal. You have torn his entire argument to shreds. I doubt he will have the strength or desire to post here ever again after so scathing a dressing down as this.

It is a shame too, but when a rebuttal like yours rips out the very heart of an argument, it is all over but the crying.

Well done.

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#95452 Jul 20, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What a brilliant, on point rebuttal. You have torn his entire argument to shreds. I doubt he will have the strength or desire to post here ever again after so scathing a dressing down as this.
It is a shame too, but when a rebuttal like yours rips out the very heart of an argument, it is all over but the crying.
Well done.
Giving you clowns made so many long winded post her on this very out dated and very over posted topic thread, I actually believe you are not being sarcastic, and if you say otherwise I wouldn't buy it. I know you guys go from conversation to conversation about this. Really you guys do need to get a life. The bird watches are way more interesting. Go count the birds you spot for a year. It'd be much more rewarding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 2 min Doug77 29,686
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 2 min Angelique770 7,647
Tell me a TRUTH (Dec '12) 4 min Les Belles Chauss... 1,137
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 5 min mr goodwrench 7,107
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 6 min -Lea- 23,755
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 6 min Iruth Bausec Algz... 645
30,000 post wins (May '13) 18 min Concerned_American 2,027
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 32 min Tom2Tone 150,824
Bill Cosby 37 min Sublime1 51
Should a Husband Help His Wife With the Dishes? (Dec '12) 56 min cedric 459