Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 4,507)

Showing posts 90,121 - 90,140 of106,369
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
humble brother

Vanda, Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Man-on-Fire wrote:
I may be wrong but I think he is talking about the Observable Universe vs the Universe as a Whole.
A universe may be infinite, but an observable universe is only everything we can see. An observable universe will always be finite
You are correct in your understanding of what I was trying to relay.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be wrong but I think he is talking about the Observable Universe vs the Universe as a Whole.
A universe may be infinite, but an observable universe is only everything we can see. An observable universe will always be finite
No that isn't what we were talking about, we were talking about an entirely disconnected reality separate from this universe.
Some people have a problem with this concept. There is everything we can observe and beyond. Then there is the possibility there are more of them. Aside from the fact the U or u has exactly the same meaning.
humble brother

Vanda, Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
No that isn't what we were talking about, we were talking about an entirely disconnected reality separate from this universe.
Some people have a problem with this concept. There is everything we can observe and beyond. Then there is the possibility there are more of them. Aside from the fact the U or u has exactly the same meaning.
It seems that you live in a world totally separate from others.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

humble brother wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So you disagree with Henry Reich and the other physicists then?
Minutephysics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Do you disagree with these physicists, yes or no?

This is a perfect definition of OUR universe. But you did not pay attention at the end when he touched on the subject of multiverse.
And said that is is the subject of another verse.
So you missed the meaning of another universe completely, and I find that awfully convenient on your behalf.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

humble brother wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that you live in a world totally separate from others.

It seems you have a limited scope of space/time continuum.
humble brother

Vanda, Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
This is a perfect definition of OUR universe. But you did not pay attention at the end when he touched on the subject of multiverse.
And said that is is the subject of another verse.
So you missed the meaning of another universe completely, and I find that awfully convenient on your behalf.
I did not miss anything. Multiverse can logically apply only to the term observable universe, NOT the totality of existence.

Henry Reich defined the terms in the video:
Universe (capital U) that encompasses absolutely everything that exists (even all possible universes of any number of your so called multiverses).

universe (not capitalized) that is observable to us.

Do you accept these terms as explained by Henry Reich? Yes or no?

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

humble brother wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not miss anything. Multiverse can logically apply only to the term observable universe, NOT the totality of existence.
Universe (capital U) that encompasses absolutely everything that exists (even all possible universes of any number of your so called multiverses).
No, I accept it that you aren't saying the same thing he is ,
and that cosmology and astrophysics don't say the same thing you do. He explains observable vs entire here(note there is no distinction between U and u).

https://plus.google.com/114328975933589556247...

Accept the fact there could be more of them. You know plural
Universe's

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Judged:

humble brother wrote:
<quoted text>I did not miss anything. Multiverse can logically apply only to the term observable universe, NOT the totality of existence.

Only if you point out this is a new definition that science now needs to use because they are unable to come up with a new word for their new ideas.
The word universe NEVER needed to capitalized in the past to mean what it was first penned to mean.

"The Universe is defined as the totality of existence, including planets, stars, galaxies, the contents of intergalactic space, and all matter and energy."

“A belief is formed personally.”

Level 2

Not forced.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people have a problem with this concept.
We can not even see all of this universe as a whole so thinking there is anything beyond it is all just speculation.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
There is everything we can observe and beyond.
Which is observable Universe and it will always be finite(limited: having an end or limit) "what we can see"

The Universe as a whole which may be may be infinite(not measurable: without any finite or measurable limits) "the beyond"
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Then there is the possibility there are more of them. Aside from the fact the U or u has exactly the same meaning.
More of them is just a speculation.

Level 2

Not forced.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Aside from the fact the U or u has exactly the same meaning.
The only difference I know about the spelling is - Universe capitalized = proper noun. universe not capitalized = common noun.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
We can not even see all of this universe as a whole so thinking there is anything beyond it is all just speculation.
<quoted text>
Which is observable Universe and it will always be finite(limited: having an end or limit) "what we can see"
The Universe as a whole which may be may be infinite(not measurable: without any finite or measurable limits) "the beyond"
<quoted text>
More of them is just a speculation.
No shit, I did say it was a concept, one exactly like what is beyond the observable universe in THIS one. More speculation and isn't any different. But there is evidence of a separate universe also. So it isn't blind speculation it is hypothesis that has a prediction that has been thought to be found in several ways.

Level 2

Not forced.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No shit, I did say it was a concept, one exactly like what is beyond the observable universe in THIS one. More speculation and isn't any different. But there is evidence of a separate universe also. So it isn't blind speculation it is hypothesis that has a prediction that has been thought to be found in several ways.
I guess I missed that class. What evidence do we have that there may be a separate universe?

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Judged:

Man-on-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I missed that class. What evidence do we have that there may be a separate universe?

Dark Flow and the disbursement and distribution of matter is not even as it should be, This was predicted to be found by a few physicists. Then data gathered by the Planck spacecraft shows anomalies that can be explained by gravitational pull outside this universe. as they predicted. It's not much but it is enough for them to call it evidence. Whether or not it is so many are calling the dark flow evidence of something outside our universe affecting it.

SBT
Level 2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the Lewis Overthrust Fault is another figment of a geologists' imagination. The contact of plates is exactly what happened. Science has seen it, but you keep clicking those heals together Dorothy. Wish it into the cornfield.
What has arguing about a fictional flood have to do with railing against God? This is always the parting shot of the young earthers as they retreat in defeat.
If you take some time and read the lit, the last 2 major USGS studies concluded it shows no sign of an overthrust, so take it up with those folks. No retreat here, it all sits on a thin veneer of shale, no fracturing at all.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
If you take some time and read the lit, the last 2 major USGS studies concluded it shows no sign of an overthrust, so take it up with those folks. No retreat here, it all sits on a thin veneer of shale, no fracturing at all.
I am sure that you misread the article. The boundary of an overthrust can be small, but it is noticeable.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

And SBT, please link the articles you are talking about.

“Life is a learning highway”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

that too many get lost on

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
And SBT, please link the articles you are talking about.
He did if you took time to look back at his comment. Need someone to read it for you too?

http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/parks/grca/...

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
He did if you took time to look back at his comment. Need someone to read it for you too?
http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/parks/grca/...

This is talking about the grand canyon.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

humble brother wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop whining.
The common definition of the Universe is EVERYTHING that exists (known and unknown to us).
The definition of the known universe is everything observable to us now.
These have been clearly defined in this discussion. I would not be surprised to see you try to straw man the term Universe.
Nevertheless, scientists now contrast the term universe with a broader term multiverse, whatever the "common definition" is.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

JBH wrote:
<quoted text>
=========
He did not say the universe was created. He said the universe had no origin.
But if you believe other scientists say, this universe has a lot of other sayings.
Some people even say this universe continues to expand IN THE SCIENTIFIC VIEW.
AGAIN, THIS IS NOT MY SAYING. And if based on what they say, I WOULD TEND TO put it then, that THE UNIVERSE extension IS BUILDING UPON SPACE expansion
And yet we know that the universe we live in did have an origin, and its called the big bang. Whether something outside that event generated it, such as a quantum fluctuation in the multiverse, or as an act of God, OUR universe containing our constructs of space, time, and physical laws, can only be dated to this time and therefore its an origin as far as we know.

If you think I was jumping the gun and making assumptions about HB's direction with his post, I plead guilty. However, I have had discussions with HB before, and rightly or wrongly anticipated where he was going with this.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 90,121 - 90,140 of106,369
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••