Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
89,541 - 89,560 of 115,123 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#94615 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how bout if I heat up the ten pound ball so it heats the air it is moving through so it is less dense? temperature of the object was never discussed...
Temperature of the object will increase with friction as it falls. But I guess your genius mind must had already know that.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#94616 Jun 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Why what? Why the propelled object or why I don't know?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#94617 Jun 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No moving of the goal posts.
Besides even a hot bowling ball will have air resistance.
but would it decrease the air resisitance? if you had a ten pound ball at 3,000 f and a same sized ball at absolute zero, would they fall at eh same rate? would the temp difference affect it enough for the lighter ball to fall faster?

St. Croix valley

#94618 Jun 30, 2013
oops...the absolute zero ball would weigh twenty pounds while being the same size as the ten pound ball....

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#94619 Jun 30, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Why what? Why the propelled object or why I don't know?
Why do you claim that the propelled object will hit the ground first.

I will tell why the answer is "it depends" for the case of a vacuum if you do.

“pshhhhh”

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#94620 Jun 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>I cheated, I taped the feather to the bowling ball.
Now a question that will fry your brain.
Drop a 22 bullet and fire a 22 bullet on a level plane of equal height. Negate wind and air resistance effects.
Which one will hit the ground first?
Depends on the velocity and gr of the bullet a typical 40 gr 22 bullet will have a muzzle velocity somewhere around 1250 ft per second and will travel over a mile so the fired bullets gunna have a hell of a head start on the one you just drop

St. Croix valley

#94621 Jun 30, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on the velocity and gr of the bullet a typical 40 gr 22 bullet will have a muzzle velocity somewhere around 1250 ft per second and will travel over a mile so the fired bullets gunna have a hell of a head start on the one you just drop
does gravity work differently on the bullet with more velocity? why?

St. Croix valley

#94622 Jun 30, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Temperature of the object will increase with friction as it falls. But I guess your genius mind must had already know that.
in some places, yes. and for both objects...

absolutely nothing to do with my question, though...but then you probably DIDN'T know that...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#94623 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>but would it decrease the air resisitance? if you had a ten pound ball at 3,000 f and a same sized ball at absolute zero, would they fall at eh same rate? would the temp difference affect it enough for the lighter ball to fall faster?
Ooh, that could get nasty. If the ball is hot enough any air leaving it will pick up speed. And if the ball is cold enough air hitting it will leave the ball moving slower ( the temperature is directly related to the speed of the molecules in the air ). I could formulate a reason why either one would fall slower than a ball of the same temperature as the air. Hotter and colder and I am not so sure.

The difference would be minuscule.

St. Croix valley

#94624 Jun 30, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep showing you are an idiot and keep dodging the questions. That is expected from someone with a small IQ and train of thought.
you said it would be the same from the top of a house or as high as i can reach. you were incorrect.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#94625 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>does gravity work differently on the bullet with more velocity? why?
Aussiebob is close, but he does not realize it.

“pshhhhh”

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#94627 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>does gravity work differently on the bullet with more velocity? why?
Well its going a lot faster to begin with by the time they are travelling at the same speed again the fired bullet is way ahead so of course it will hit the ground first

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#94628 Jun 30, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok it is a depends, theoretically they will hit the ground at the same time. Meaning a bullet dropped that takes 1 second to hit the ground. And a bullet fired from the same height will hit the ground 1 second later 1250 feet from the other.

But...

Then we have the answer given by those who've achieved spiritual awareness as a result of regular reading of the Straight Dope. This may be summarized as follows: it depends. If the fired bullet travels only a short distance, then yes, both bullets hit the ground at the same time. However, if the fired bullet travels far enough, the earth, being round, curves away from it.(Remember Newton's first law of motion: moving objects tend to travel in a straight line.) Since the fired bullet has farther to fall, it takes longer to hit the earth, so the dropped bullet hits the ground first.

What's more, if the fired bullet travels fast enough (roughly five miles per second a practical impossibility given atmospheric friction, but never mind), it goes into orbit around the earth and never hits the ground at all. Amazing, no? Try this one out in your next physics class and you'll kill the whole hour, guaranteed.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1373...

Myth busters did it and found slight variations. But surprisingly they will hit nearly the same time. Just one a long ways from the other.

http://scienceblogs.com/dotphysics/2009/10/09...

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#94629 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>but would it decrease the air resisitance? if you had a ten pound ball at 3,000 f and a same sized ball at absolute zero, would they fall at eh same rate? would the temp difference affect it enough for the lighter ball to fall faster?
I am interested to hear the answer to this.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#94630 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Actually retard the higher temp would decrease air resistance and the force needed to push the air out of the way making the heated object less air resistant. And you act like you are smart. Go read some more books and come back in a year or two.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#94631 Jun 30, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you said it would be the same from the top of a house or as high as i can reach. you were incorrect.
I said "But if you still think two objects of different weights fall at the same speed I will bet you what ever you want that a 20lb weight will reach the ground faster than a ostrich feather when dropped from a house top or even from as high as you can reach."

Being reach is a well respected term of standing and reaching plus you will never be higher than that.

St. Croix valley

#94632 Jun 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooh, that could get nasty. If the ball is hot enough any air leaving it will pick up speed. And if the ball is cold enough air hitting it will leave the ball moving slower ( the temperature is directly related to the speed of the molecules in the air ). I could formulate a reason why either one would fall slower than a ball of the same temperature as the air. Hotter and colder and I am not so sure.
The difference would be minuscule.
as miniscule as the air resistance difference against a ten pound ball that is the same size as a twenty pound ball?

or more?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#94633 Jun 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you claim that the propelled object will hit the ground first.
I will tell why the answer is "it depends" for the case of a vacuum if you do.
No vacuum the propelled will be pushed way ahead. As I said in a no vacuum space I am not sure. I would almost say no difference being there is no resistance at all but that is a guess.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#94634 Jun 30, 2013
Here's the video. The problem is their synchronization could be off , so I say it's within
+-that error. They hit same time.

St. Croix valley

#94635 Jun 30, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
<quoted text>
Well its going a lot faster to begin with by the time they are travelling at the same speed again the fired bullet is way ahead so of course it will hit the ground first
why would gravity pull the speeding bullet down faster than the dropped bullet?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I read the news today, oh boy (Jun '10) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 848
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 35,957
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 1 hr CJ Rocker 6,530
OMG! Just look at this! 1 hr Grace Nerissa 35
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 1 hr Silly times 77,234
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 1 hr Silly times 8,952
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 1 hr Silly times 1,265
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr wichita-rick 145,087
What's your tip for the day? 2 hr wichita-rick 793
Texas Governor Rick Perry Indicted 4 hr Bill 221