Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 4,439)

Showing posts 88,761 - 88,780 of112,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
I will even help you here. Look at all these full moon pictures and tell me if you see a moon sphere (the moon as whole all around) or a moon disc(one side of the moon that appears as a flat circle).
http://www.bing.com/images/search...

Here is yet another example why astronomers use the term disk.
Yes a disk is a round circumference, but we make no mistakes about it's true shape disk means round circular a seemly flat, but this is used to describe the hidden roundness or circumference.

"The period of daytime from the standpoint of a surface observer is roughly defined as the period between sunrise, when the Earth's rotation towards the east first causes the Sun's disc to *appear above the horizon, to sunset, when the continuing rotation of the Earth causes the Sun's disc to *disappear below the horizon to the west. Because the Sun' is a luminous disc as seen from the Earth, rather than a point source of light, sunrise and sunset are not instantaneous and the exact definition of both can vary with context. Additionally, the Earth's atmosphere further diffuses light from the Sun and lengthens the period of sunrise and sunset. For a certain period after sunset and before sunrise, indirect light from the Sun lightens the sky on Earth; this period is often referred to as twilight.

****Certain groups, such as Earthly astronomers, do not consider daytime to be truly ended

*until the Sun's disc is actually well below the Earth's horizon, because of this indirect illumination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_%28astro...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
I will even help you here. Look at all these full moon pictures and tell me if you see a moon sphere (the moon as whole all around) or a moon disc(one side of the moon that appears as a flat circle).
you are doing it again...proving yourself wrong.

it would seem a disc is a seemingly flat, although round object, doesn't it? you just said it is. previously you tried to say a disc was only a flat object...

which is it?

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
The point being disk is a seemingly circular flat shape but is used to describe a circumference especially when it is partially or mostly hidden.

When the bible writers wrote it the circle of earth with water above the circle of earth and below and a space bowl shaped to keep the water out, which is described in the book of Enoch as having portals to let rain water from the sky ocean in and wind etc.

It was basically describing a round flat land with a bowl sky over it held up by the sky pillars and the pillars of earth underneath.

"The Old Testament imagined a three-part universe, with heaven (shamayim) above, earth (eres) in the middle, and the underworld (sheol) below,[9] surrounded by the original "waters of chaos", the cosmic ocean, separated by God when he created the world. Only after the 4th century BCE was this replaced by a Greek scientific cosmology of a spherical earth surrounded by multiple concentric heavens."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_cosmolo...

You can't magically change that, this was accepted as the define until after the 13th-15th century when we discovered the earth was round like a ball and you wouldn't sail over the edge.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's look at your link definition:
In geometry, a disk (also spelled disc) is the region in a plane bounded by a circle.
plane(geometry) definition - a plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface.
A circle is two dimensional being it has the dimensions of height and width but not depth, therefore is two dimensional.
None of the above define a 3 dimensional sphere, which has height and width and depth. Not even from your definition link of disk.
So let's look at that again. A disc or disk is two dimensional like a circle. Nice try though. May I suggest you take a geometry class and maybe learn something new?
and here, wedgehead, you say a circle cannot describe a three dimensional sphere, when earlier you were trying to say it could, as in the bible...

you seem to contradict every one of your own posts...

not very intelligent of you wedgie...stick to simpler arguments like lines and dots two dimensions seems one too many for you.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>my fave was " if you don't believe the bible is true, any discussion of its veracity is moot."
it would take a complete moron to read this crap and believe it.
Yeah, Ms. Dinoeater thinks it's valid scientific source yet they openly admit to ignoring any evidence that contradicts their presumptions. Go figure, religious people are most often extremely gullible.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a sphere, you can see the specular light resulting from the sun striking it. It's a phong-like shading and specular formula that produces that. No mistaking it, it's a sphere.

“We were created”

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Then we evolved

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a sphere, you can see the specular light resulting from the sun striking it. It's a phong-like shading and specular formula that produces that. No mistaking it, it's a sphere.
You see the dark sides of the moon and the back of the moon? Sorry Kitty you can only see the illuminated face of the moon.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
You see the dark sides of the moon and the back of the moon? Sorry Kitty you can only see the illuminated face of the moon.
Are you really that clueless? There is clearly depth to the face, even during a full moon, the edges are darker, due to the normals of the faces pointing "away" from the light and viewer. Just because you're blind as a bat and can't tell a photograph from looking at it with the naked eye doesn't mean it looks how you assert it does.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The point being disk is a seemingly circular flat shape but is used to describe a circumference especially when it is partially or mostly hidden.
When the bible writers wrote it the circle of earth with water above the circle of earth and below and a space bowl shaped to keep the water out, which is described in the book of Enoch as having portals to let rain water from the sky ocean in and wind etc.
It was basically describing a round flat land with a bowl sky over it held up by the sky pillars and the pillars of earth underneath.
"The Old Testament imagined a three-part universe, with heaven (shamayim) above, earth (eres) in the middle, and the underworld (sheol) below,[9] surrounded by the original "waters of chaos", the cosmic ocean, separated by God when he created the world. Only after the 4th century BCE was this replaced by a Greek scientific cosmology of a spherical earth surrounded by multiple concentric heavens."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_cosmolo...
You can't magically change that, this was accepted as the define until after the 13th-15th century when we discovered the earth was round like a ball and you wouldn't sail over the edge.
If you stood out in this desert. Turned a 360 to look at it all. It would look like a circle to you with a dome over it because the horizon would make it look like it ended. So what the people thousands of years ago were not the brightest. They described what they saw.

http://www.quarryscapes.no/images/Egypt_sites...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
If you stood out in this desert. Turned a 360 to look at it all. It would look like a circle to you with a dome over it because the horizon would make it look like it ended. So what the people thousands of years ago were not the brightest. They described what they saw.
Do you just try to find new ways to sound like a total moron?

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY!

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY!
So we agree they described what they saw and did not have the knowledge or means of knowing any better.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you just try to find new ways to sound like a total moron?
Aura Mytha gets it. Too bad you don't.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
So we agree they described what they saw and did not have the knowledge or means of knowing any better.
Yes in fact Christians rejected the Greeks science as pagan, and insisted on the Hebrew Ideas of the world, The Greeks knew the world was round, but the Romans burned their knowledge, and the world remained flat for
at least a thousand years longer. Though some knew, they could not challenge clergy under threat of heresy.

Eventually they worked it out though.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true. They also thought the whole world was flat and the Bible is written in a way that shows that.

It is a very minor flaw in the Bible, yet some apologists will go to great lengths to deny it. The fact that they thought the world was flat did not make them idiots or fools. That is not the reason we point that out. It merely shows that the Bible has errors in it.

Now if you want some real fun with an apologist all you have to do is to show them some of the failed prophesies of the Bible.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true. They also thought the whole world was flat and the Bible is written in a way that shows that.
It is a very minor flaw in the Bible, yet some apologists will go to great lengths to deny it. The fact that they thought the world was flat did not make them idiots or fools. That is not the reason we point that out. It merely shows that the Bible has errors in it.
Now if you want some real fun with an apologist all you have to do is to show them some of the failed prophesies of the Bible.
They were not the brightest people and did not have the knowledge to know or prove different than what they saw.

Here is my original statement with the link.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I find that argument of a flat/circle earth being based on today's knowledge from everyone. Evolutionists used it as a big argument to the creationists. Of course we know the world is a sphere today, they didn't back then. Creationists don't want to admit that people back then were lowly knowledgeable and had no clue compared to today. But like it seems every one basis their argument on todays knowledge.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
I find that argument of a flat/circle earth being based on today's knowledge from everyone. Evolutionists used it as a big argument to the creationists. Of course we know the world is a sphere today, they didn't back then. Creationists don't want to admit that people back then were lowly knowledgeable and had no clue compared to today. But like it seems every one basis their argument on todays knowledge.
It is hard not to.

The thing that people need to remember is that the various ancient peoples were uneducated. They weren't stupid.

I am all of a sudden very tired. Have a good night.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the point, isn't it? That the Bible is only as accurate as its authors were capable and willing to write. No divinity, no inspiration.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>circles are flat. did you fail geometry?
If circles are flat, what was the purpose of saying the earth was a circle? Circles are round. You have to distort the word of God to fit your own beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 88,761 - 88,780 of112,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

268 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Go to Time Out (Jul '11) 2 min honeymylove 1,375
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 min _Word_Woman_ 14,821
Who's Meanest? (Mar '13) 3 min Independent1 32
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 4 min Doug77 28,748
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 5 min _Word_Woman_ 25,557
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min Ozzie 141,206
What's your tip for the day? 18 min honeymylove 220
The Night Owl Saloon (Jun '11) 54 min Maverick 808 15,586
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Big dawg 34,930