Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 168500 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#93759 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's look at your link definition:
In geometry, a disk (also spelled disc) is the region in a plane bounded by a circle.
plane(geometry) definition - a plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface.
A circle is two dimensional being it has the dimensions of height and width but not depth, therefore is two dimensional.
None of the above define a 3 dimensional sphere, which has height and width and depth. Not even from your definition link of disk.
So let's look at that again. A disc or disk is two dimensional like a circle. Nice try though. May I suggest you take a geometry class and maybe learn something new?
the very definition YOU gave said "or seemingly flat"

give it up, dude. you proved yourself wrong....

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#93760 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
In geometry, a disk (also spelled disc) is the region in a plane bounded by a circle.
A circle is two dimensional being it has the dimensions of height and width but not depth, therefore is two dimensional.
None of the above define a 3 dimensional sphere, which has height and width and depth. Not even from your definition link of disk.
So let's look at that again. A disc or disk is two dimensional like a circle. Nice try though. May I suggest you take a geometry class and maybe learn something new?

Now you are making shit up.

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#93761 Jun 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets apply the same term to the sun.

It just happens that the Moon and the Sun appear the same size in the sky as viewed from the Earth. And since the Moon orbits the Earth in approximately the same plane as the Earth's orbit around the Sun sometimes the Moon comes directly between the Earth and the Sun.

*This is called a solar eclipse; if the alignment is slightly imperfect then the Moon covers only part of the Sun's disk and the event is called a partial eclipse.

*When it lines up perfectly the entire solar disk is blocked and it is called a total eclipse of the Sun.

Partial eclipses are visible over a wide area of the Earth but the region from which a total eclipse is visible, called the path of totality, is very narrow, just a few kilometers (though it is usually thousands of kilometers long). Eclipses of the Sun happen once or twice a year. If you stay home, you're likely to see a partial eclipse several times per decade. But since the path of totality is so small it is very unlikely that it will cross you home. So people often travel half way around the world just to see a total solar eclipse. To stand in the shadow of the Moon is an awesome experience. For a few precious minutes it gets dark in the middle of the day. The stars come out. The animals and birds think it's time to sleep. And you can see the solar corona. It is well worth a major journey.

Read more about The Sun l Sun Facts and images. by nineplanets.org

http://nineplanets.org/sol.html

*They are referring to the unseen part of the sun during the eclipse. Same as the unseen parts of the moon.

“We were created”

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Then we evolved

#93762 Jun 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at your own link. It says 'In geometry, a disk (also spelled disc) is the region in a "plane" bounded by a "circle".

Now while looking at your link click on the word "plane" that appears in blue, then read that. Then click on the word "circle" that is also in blue and read that and tell me I am making siht up.

People like you are funny. You see a definition of something but fail to see what that definition actually says in it. I have to laugh at that.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#93763 Jun 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Lets apply the same term to the sun.
It just happens that the Moon and the Sun appear the same size in the sky as viewed from the Earth. And since the Moon orbits the Earth in approximately the same plane as the Earth's orbit around the Sun sometimes the Moon comes directly between the Earth and the Sun.
*This is called a solar eclipse; if the alignment is slightly imperfect then the Moon covers only part of the Sun's disk and the event is called a partial eclipse.
*When it lines up perfectly the entire solar disk is blocked and it is called a total eclipse of the Sun.
Partial eclipses are visible over a wide area of the Earth but the region from which a total eclipse is visible, called the path of totality, is very narrow, just a few kilometers (though it is usually thousands of kilometers long). Eclipses of the Sun happen once or twice a year. If you stay home, you're likely to see a partial eclipse several times per decade. But since the path of totality is so small it is very unlikely that it will cross you home. So people often travel half way around the world just to see a total solar eclipse. To stand in the shadow of the Moon is an awesome experience. For a few precious minutes it gets dark in the middle of the day. The stars come out. The animals and birds think it's time to sleep. And you can see the solar corona. It is well worth a major journey.
*They are referring to the unseen part of the sun during the eclipse. Same as the unseen parts of the moon.
Uhm when you look at the moon or sun do you see a sphere or do you see the a sun disk and a moon disk? A sun disk and moon disk is the side of the sun or moon you see that appears as a flat circle.

St. Croix valley

#93764 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at your own link. It says 'In geometry, a disk (also spelled disc) is the region in a "plane" bounded by a "circle".
Now while looking at your link click on the word "plane" that appears in blue, then read that. Then click on the word "circle" that is also in blue and read that and tell me I am making siht up.
People like you are funny. You see a definition of something but fail to see what that definition actually says in it. I have to laugh at that.
still can't come to terms with your own definitions proveing you wrong, huh?

it does take a real man to admit he is wrong...apparently you ain't that...

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#93765 Jun 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Lets apply the same term to the sun.
I will even help you here. Look at all these full moon pictures and tell me if you see a moon sphere (the moon as whole all around) or a moon disc(one side of the moon that appears as a flat circle).

http://www.bing.com/images/search...

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#93766 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
I will even help you here. Look at all these full moon pictures and tell me if you see a moon sphere (the moon as whole all around) or a moon disc(one side of the moon that appears as a flat circle).

Here is yet another example why astronomers use the term disk.
Yes a disk is a round circumference, but we make no mistakes about it's true shape disk means round circular a seemly flat, but this is used to describe the hidden roundness or circumference.

"The period of daytime from the standpoint of a surface observer is roughly defined as the period between sunrise, when the Earth's rotation towards the east first causes the Sun's disc to *appear above the horizon, to sunset, when the continuing rotation of the Earth causes the Sun's disc to *disappear below the horizon to the west. Because the Sun' is a luminous disc as seen from the Earth, rather than a point source of light, sunrise and sunset are not instantaneous and the exact definition of both can vary with context. Additionally, the Earth's atmosphere further diffuses light from the Sun and lengthens the period of sunrise and sunset. For a certain period after sunset and before sunrise, indirect light from the Sun lightens the sky on Earth; this period is often referred to as twilight.

****Certain groups, such as Earthly astronomers, do not consider daytime to be truly ended

*until the Sun's disc is actually well below the Earth's horizon, because of this indirect illumination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_%28astro...

St. Croix valley

#93767 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
you are doing it again...proving yourself wrong.

it would seem a disc is a seemingly flat, although round object, doesn't it? you just said it is. previously you tried to say a disc was only a flat object...

which is it?

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#93768 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
The point being disk is a seemingly circular flat shape but is used to describe a circumference especially when it is partially or mostly hidden.

When the bible writers wrote it the circle of earth with water above the circle of earth and below and a space bowl shaped to keep the water out, which is described in the book of Enoch as having portals to let rain water from the sky ocean in and wind etc.

It was basically describing a round flat land with a bowl sky over it held up by the sky pillars and the pillars of earth underneath.

"The Old Testament imagined a three-part universe, with heaven (shamayim) above, earth (eres) in the middle, and the underworld (sheol) below,[9] surrounded by the original "waters of chaos", the cosmic ocean, separated by God when he created the world. Only after the 4th century BCE was this replaced by a Greek scientific cosmology of a spherical earth surrounded by multiple concentric heavens."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_cosmolo...

You can't magically change that, this was accepted as the define until after the 13th-15th century when we discovered the earth was round like a ball and you wouldn't sail over the edge.

St. Croix valley

#93769 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
and here, wedgehead, you say a circle cannot describe a three dimensional sphere, when earlier you were trying to say it could, as in the bible...

you seem to contradict every one of your own posts...

not very intelligent of you wedgie...stick to simpler arguments like lines and dots two dimensions seems one too many for you.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#93770 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>my fave was " if you don't believe the bible is true, any discussion of its veracity is moot."
it would take a complete moron to read this crap and believe it.
Yeah, Ms. Dinoeater thinks it's valid scientific source yet they openly admit to ignoring any evidence that contradicts their presumptions. Go figure, religious people are most often extremely gullible.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#93771 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a sphere, you can see the specular light resulting from the sun striking it. It's a phong-like shading and specular formula that produces that. No mistaking it, it's a sphere.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#93772 Jun 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a sphere, you can see the specular light resulting from the sun striking it. It's a phong-like shading and specular formula that produces that. No mistaking it, it's a sphere.
You see the dark sides of the moon and the back of the moon? Sorry Kitty you can only see the illuminated face of the moon.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#93773 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
You see the dark sides of the moon and the back of the moon? Sorry Kitty you can only see the illuminated face of the moon.
Are you really that clueless? There is clearly depth to the face, even during a full moon, the edges are darker, due to the normals of the faces pointing "away" from the light and viewer. Just because you're blind as a bat and can't tell a photograph from looking at it with the naked eye doesn't mean it looks how you assert it does.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#93774 Jun 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The point being disk is a seemingly circular flat shape but is used to describe a circumference especially when it is partially or mostly hidden.
When the bible writers wrote it the circle of earth with water above the circle of earth and below and a space bowl shaped to keep the water out, which is described in the book of Enoch as having portals to let rain water from the sky ocean in and wind etc.
It was basically describing a round flat land with a bowl sky over it held up by the sky pillars and the pillars of earth underneath.
"The Old Testament imagined a three-part universe, with heaven (shamayim) above, earth (eres) in the middle, and the underworld (sheol) below,[9] surrounded by the original "waters of chaos", the cosmic ocean, separated by God when he created the world. Only after the 4th century BCE was this replaced by a Greek scientific cosmology of a spherical earth surrounded by multiple concentric heavens."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_cosmolo...
You can't magically change that, this was accepted as the define until after the 13th-15th century when we discovered the earth was round like a ball and you wouldn't sail over the edge.
If you stood out in this desert. Turned a 360 to look at it all. It would look like a circle to you with a dome over it because the horizon would make it look like it ended. So what the people thousands of years ago were not the brightest. They described what they saw.

http://www.quarryscapes.no/images/Egypt_sites...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#93775 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
If you stood out in this desert. Turned a 360 to look at it all. It would look like a circle to you with a dome over it because the horizon would make it look like it ended. So what the people thousands of years ago were not the brightest. They described what they saw.
Do you just try to find new ways to sound like a total moron?

“Rising”

Level 8

Milky Way

#93776 Jun 22, 2013
wedgehead wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY!

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#93777 Jun 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY!
So we agree they described what they saw and did not have the knowledge or means of knowing any better.

“We were created”

Level 1

Then we evolved

#93778 Jun 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you just try to find new ways to sound like a total moron?
Aura Mytha gets it. Too bad you don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 min Denny CranesPlace 41,299
motorcycle traveling stories 5 min harley honey 1,210
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Sublime1 165,061
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 7 min Truths 140,782
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 14 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1,363
BLOG, poetry, abstract thought, fantasy, play w... (Apr '08) 15 min Zani Grey 5,122
hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12) 20 min Kid_Tomorrow 1,918
Answer a question with a question 35 min Mechanic 210
More from around the web