Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199401 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#93594 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>just trying to be snarky...obviously didn't work.
of course we used our brains and the scientific method to figure out they weren't true.
Oh, your wording confused me is all, too early to decipher such. ;)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#93595 Jun 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a second, wasn't that before "sin" entered the world?
Of course they were vegetarians! Along with wolves,.... lions, tigers, and bears oh my!
good point.

i wonder if jesus was a vegetarian? the whole loaves and fishes thing seems to say not...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#93596 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i couldn't quite read the last one of yours but, regardless, how is it we found out all those were myths? did we look to some ancient book of myths that gave us the answer?
LUNAtics.
Coffee stunts your growth.
Then there's the other thing that makes you go blind...

And of course, there are the oxymorons like "Bible school" (teaches) "God's love" and "reality tv" (is) "quality programming."

Ancient book with answers? Dunno 'bout that - the one I can think of is more like a list of examples. Which reminds me of the myth that you can make your stubbed toe stop hurting by hitting yourself in the head with a mallet.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#93597 Jun 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Erm, what? We know they are simply old wive's tales, which is the same as a myth.
Some old wive's tales were spot on - like herbal and folk medicines. Unfortunately, that led to a lot of old wives being burned alive....

St. Croix valley

#93598 Jun 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, your wording confused me is all, too early to decipher such. ;)
yeah, most likely my wording...72 work week in the first heat of summer and i'm starting my morning off with Bailey's in my coffee..yeah!

so are old wives tales different from myths? have they been downgraded like Pluto to dwarf myth status?

St. Croix valley

#93599 Jun 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some old wive's tales were spot on - like herbal and folk medicines. Unfortunately, that led to a lot of old wives being burned alive....
have you read any of Wade Davis' books?

St. Croix valley

#93600 Jun 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
LUNAtics.
Coffee stunts your growth.
Then there's the other thing that makes you go blind...
And of course, there are the oxymorons like "Bible school" (teaches) "God's love" and "reality tv" (is) "quality programming."
Ancient book with answers? Dunno 'bout that - the one I can think of is more like a list of examples. Which reminds me of the myth that you can make your stubbed toe stop hurting by hitting yourself in the head with a mallet.
Ow! that didn't work!!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#93601 Jun 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the herbalism is where we found the chemicals that made modern medicine possible, sadly, we had to learn to refine those chemicals anyway.:P

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#93602 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, most likely my wording...72 work week in the first heat of summer and i'm starting my morning off with Bailey's in my coffee..yeah!
so are old wives tales different from myths? have they been downgraded like Pluto to dwarf myth status?
I think it's more like myths are upgraded and they are more elaborate. Like handling toads gives you warts versus Hercules' or Samson's tales of strength.
I know there's a hierarchy, but I don't know the order. old wives tales, stories, gospels, tall tales, legends, myths, scriptures, mythologies, religions...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#93603 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ow! that didn't work!!
Fascinating. You understood in 2 minutes what some haven't learned in 2,000 years.
I've heard of Wade Davis, haven't read anything by him.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#93604 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no multi-tasking?
on the subject of early hominids being vegetarian, it seems i was believing a myth. perhaps i mistook the idea that early humans INCREASED their meat diet for them previously being vegetarians...
i love to learn new things~!
The early hominids were veggies, and tree dwellers mostly.
With hooked big toes and very ape like. Their huge jaw muscles were needed to eat tough plant fibers just like gorillas.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/hominid/australo_1....

Hunter gatherers foraged everything they could , until farming and civilization starting producing staple crops. And the rest is written history.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Will Prevail

#93605 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ow! that didn't work!!
Ok I need to go eat some rye mold , it's hard to read into intent sometimes , especially sine I didn't have no coffee or my rye mold yet. heheheh

SBT
Level 2

Since: Jun 13

United States

#93606 Jun 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have difficulty understanding that the rotor evolved.
What parts are you having problems with?
I gave you two links that showed how it evolved, you gave lip service for one and seem to have avoided the other.
If you re-read my post to understand the line of logic - The earliest bacteria had the Axial Motor 3.6 BY ago according to your own evolutionists doc's as shown in the links. This date is the first life form goal post, so where is the magic time needed for the chemical's you believe self-thought themselves into existence onto a fully operational "nanatechnological marvel" right from the start! Your side needs to get together and get their story straight - again. Bacteria has a function in an ecosystem, one as a whole that was placed on earth as part of a "Very Good" thing by God for us to observe and "marvel" at.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#93607 Jun 22, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
If you re-read my post to understand the line of logic - The earliest bacteria had the Axial Motor 3.6 BY ago according to your own evolutionists doc's as shown in the links. This date is the first life form goal post, so where is the magic time needed for the chemical's you believe self-thought themselves into existence onto a fully operational "nanatechnological marvel" right from the start! Your side needs to get together and get their story straight - again. Bacteria has a function in an ecosystem, one as a whole that was placed on earth as part of a "Very Good" thing by God for us to observe and "marvel" at.
You made the extreme fallacy of asserting that things have to be created.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Will Prevail

#93608 Jun 22, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
You are badly mistaken.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#93609 Jun 22, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
It still had plenty of time to evolve the "motor" even if what you say about the earliest known bacteria is true.

To be honest we cannot tell when the flagellum first appeared on bacteria since that sort of detail would not be preserved in the fossil record. Anyone who claims that the flagellum existed then is probably making claims that they cannot back up.

St. Croix valley

#93610 Jun 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Fascinating. You understood in 2 minutes what some haven't learned in 2,000 years.
I've heard of Wade Davis, haven't read anything by him.
Davis wrote the book "The Serpent and the Rainbow" from which the film was made.

try "Shadows in the Sun" fascinating...

he is an ethnobotanist...what a cool field of study!

St. Croix valley

#93611 Jun 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The early hominids were veggies, and tree dwellers mostly.
With hooked big toes and very ape like. Their huge jaw muscles were needed to eat tough plant fibers just like gorillas.
http://anthro.palomar.edu/hominid/australo_1....
Hunter gatherers foraged everything they could , until farming and civilization starting producing staple crops. And the rest is written history.
would they have eaten insects like most of the apes do? that's not vegetarian.

maybe they are like so many people i have met that say they are vegetarian, but eat seafood...

another great book that deals with vegetarianism tangentally is "Some We Love, Some We Hate, and Some We Eat" by Hal Herzog. his figures on people who quit vegetarianism and those that totally lie about their meat consumption is pretty eye opening...
Level 1

Location hidden

#93612 Jun 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Why did you end your post with a stupid question?

Evolution is science, nothing more, nothing less. The theory lets us understand how life came into its present form.

We know that we share common descent with all life. There are several independent source of evidence that all agree.
Your 3 BIG Myths:

1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.

2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.

3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.

And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.

"SNAP"
Level 1

Location hidden

#93613 Jun 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>but the god of your cult is a proven myth! why can't you grasp this irrefutable fact? proven, proven, proven myth. your cult's god does not exist. satan does not exist.

your own bible and cult dogma proved your god false. deprogramers are listed in teh yellow pages and online...
Your 3 BIG Myths:

1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.

2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.

3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.

And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.

"SNAP"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min Billy Bob 192,903
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 10,155
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: (Apr '15) 12 min Hoosier Hillbilly 6,928
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 14 min Northbound 1,625
Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 22 min Northbound 8
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 28 min Hoosier Hillbilly 35,213
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 29 min Denny CranesPlace 19,696
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 51 min 8541 MARINE 56,850
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr Northbound 7,437
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 1 hr Bad Bex 7,260
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 hr Poppyann 2,287
More from around the web