Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#93173 Jun 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The government never funded a search for the ark, but estimates for the war on marijuana range as high as $20 billion a year.
And comprises about 70% of the US prison population.

Time to legalize the stuff.

I don't use it, but this is infantile.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#93174 Jun 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And comprises about 70% of the US prison population.
The Messiah will legalize it, along with most other drugs. The prisons will be emptied.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#93175 Jun 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
Legalize how much of the stuff? Pot? Yes. I am no fan of pot. But it is a fairly innocuous drug. The worst it seems to do is to let you your inner stupid. It also temporarily reduces your intelligence, but that comes back in all studies to date that I know of.

Harder drugs, methamphetamine, cocaine in its various forms, heroin, and PCP I am not so sure of.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#93176 Jun 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
I wouldn't call it infantile - that's more like using multiple accounts to stalk and abuse other posters.
I would call it a travesty. The excuses that it's addictive and the "gateway drug" are pretty feeble, and technically the government's classification of it as a "narcotic" is a flat out lie. Even if it wasn't fully legalized, decriminalization would at least be a step in the right direction.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#93177 Jun 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Legalize how much of the stuff? Pot? Yes. I am no fan of pot. But it is a fairly innocuous drug. The worst it seems to do is to let you your inner stupid. It also temporarily reduces your intelligence, but that comes back in all studies to date that I know of.
Harder drugs, methamphetamine, cocaine in its various forms, heroin, and PCP I am not so sure of.
I'm no fan of it either. I don't use it and I don't advocate using it, even for medicinal purposes. The real crime is that treating it like a hobgoblin is what has created 99% of the problem.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#93178 Jun 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm no fan of it either. I don't use it and I don't advocate using it, even for medicinal purposes. The real crime is that treating it like a hobgoblin is what has created 99% of the problem.
Yes, I hope in my prior post it was clear that I favor legalizing pot. I don't think that 70% of our prison population is from selling pot, quite a few of them are in for selling harder drugs.

Is marijuana a gateway drug? No, I don't think so. Cigarettes are more of a gateway drug than marijuana is.

I can see valid, and very limited, medical uses for marijuana. California sadly made a mockery of medical marijuana by their excessively liberal medical marijuana law. It became a panacea instead of a medication with limited applications.

Marijuana is an excellent nausea suppressor and unlike other anti-nausea medications you don't have to swallow it into an already queasy stomach. I am not so sure of its application for glaucoma, but it is supposed to be of use their as well.

Marijuana is legal in my state and I did vote for its legalization. Will I be smoking it? No. Legal or not it is not for me.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#93179 Jun 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I hope in my prior post it was clear that I favor legalizing pot. I don't think that 70% of our prison population is from selling pot, quite a few of them are in for selling harder drugs.
Is marijuana a gateway drug? No, I don't think so. Cigarettes are more of a gateway drug than marijuana is.
I can see valid, and very limited, medical uses for marijuana. California sadly made a mockery of medical marijuana by their excessively liberal medical marijuana law. It became a panacea instead of a medication with limited applications.
Marijuana is an excellent nausea suppressor and unlike other anti-nausea medications you don't have to swallow it into an already queasy stomach. I am not so sure of its application for glaucoma, but it is supposed to be of use their as well.
Marijuana is legal in my state and I did vote for its legalization. Will I be smoking it? No. Legal or not it is not for me.
I don't know of it true efficacy for glaucoma, but you have a valid point about using it for anti-nausea. Inhalation also provides a quicker uptake than oral meds. In addition, it stimulates appetite.
Cigarettes aren't especially mood altering. You might get a little light headed, but you can get a similar sensation by hyperventilating.
If you ask most drug users what their first experience with a drug was, they are not unlikely to say smoking a joint - until you ask them if they'd ever stolen some shots from their parents' liquor cabinet or gotten an older friend to buy them a 6 pack. So what is the most common "gateway drug", after all?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#93180 Jun 18, 2013
Even more often than stealing alcohol almost all hard drug users have one trait in common. They smoked cigarettes first. I saw the stats on it once and they are rather surprising.

I believe that the concept of a gateway drug has been pretty much debunked. Environmental factors are much bigger. Drug users tend to breed drug users. I don't think it is genetic, they tend to get trapped in an ever lasting loop. An exgirlfriend had a drug problem, her three kids the same. A high number of her friends were drug users and their kids tended to be drug users too.

What is amazing about this is if you get to know the kids young enough they all hated their parents addictions, and yet they did not have the ability to say no when it was their turn.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#93182 Jun 18, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You just proved how much of an evoturd idiot you are. Evolution has caused all that. It all has got worse over time. Now on the other things you spoke of religion had a big hand in making all that happen. You have it all backwards.
It's actually amusing that creationists will admit to evolution only when it's convenient. Otherwise, no such thing as evolution.
wee

Ethiopia

#93183 Jun 18, 2013
the creation of God is not measure by human being that is why every one is disturbed

Sao Paulo

#93184 Jun 18, 2013
briky wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact of life:“Nothing is as it seems”. I control you, play you, punked you and always have. You are a punk that has been played. DEAL WITH IT!!!! You always come straight to me just like a good little bicth coming to her master. And if I am “briky” you think I am your buddy and you kiss asssss. You are predictable like most idiots are. I own you and for that you come straight to me like a good little bicth to her master or come to me as a buddy. You are a fool and a little punk. LMMFAO
How is this for playing and punking you that you play as my friend and even give me the crown in your PM message to me as “briky”.(see below)
Message from Subduction Zone to briky, Sunday Jun 9
Subduction Zone - I am not going to harvest the last ten points available to me. You can have the crown for yourself next week if you want it.
Which means you gave the crown to “Replaytime” and I reined the champ all last week! Not near as smart as you think you are pusssseeee!! I own you idiot punk!!!!!!! ROTFLMMFAO
I find anyone who needs multiple identities and masks to hide behind as very questionable members of society - people who indeed have something to hide. I would not classify you as an idiot, you seem to have some intelligence albeit trivial, but you cannot compare yourself to most of the other contributors on this thread. Just by showing you've been hiding behind multiple identities has shot down any possibility of credibility you may have ever had. You really should look into trolling other threads.

Sao Paulo

#93186 Jun 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my!!!
Does anyone else think that forreal may be my bitch too?
Seriously SZ, get over it. No need to dumb yourself to their level, just ignore the ignorance.

Sao Paulo

#93187 Jun 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
Years ago I read about an experiment carried out by some Gvt. Agency, don’t know the credibility of the article, but it was somewhere along the line of they taught a group of monkeys to smoke crack cocaine from some type of contraption, and gave them access to an unlimited supply. These same monkeys had plenty of available food and water, yet each one of them smoked crack until they died in under 9 days.

I say we legalize ALL drugs.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#93188 Jun 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that pot's fairly harmless. I'd much rather share the road with a pothead doing fifteen miles an hour saying "Maan, look at that cool tree!" than with a crackhead doing fifty miles an hour faster than his car is actually capable of going.

Still, I suspect that could be handled under existing DUI laws.

Bottom line? Let 'em get as wasted as they want, as long as they don't endanger anyone else.

I know, I know, it's a bit cold-blooded...

Sao Paulo

#93189 Jun 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know of it true efficacy for glaucoma, but you have a valid point about using it for anti-nausea. Inhalation also provides a quicker uptake than oral meds. In addition, it stimulates appetite.
Cigarettes aren't especially mood altering. You might get a little light headed, but you can get a similar sensation by hyperventilating.
If you ask most drug users what their first experience with a drug was, they are not unlikely to say smoking a joint - until you ask them if they'd ever stolen some shots from their parents' liquor cabinet or gotten an older friend to buy them a 6 pack. So what is the most common "gateway drug", after all?
That's a good point, but certainly most drug users have had a drink in their lives before experimenting with drugs.

When I was 13 and home alone (for the first time I think) I had an opportunity at that bottle of J&B in our cabinets. My parents weren't really drinkers, but kept that old bottle for guests. I ended up drinking half of it mixed with koolaide. That was the last time I drank whiskey in my lifetime. In fact if I even smell the stuff it makes me want to vomit.

My point being, other than a light-hearted story, it certainly wasn't a gateway drug for me.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#93190 Jun 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicotene and alcohol. Absolutely.

I sensibly stopped there.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#93191 Jun 18, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Years ago I read about an experiment carried out by some Gvt. Agency, don’t know the credibility of the article, but it was somewhere along the line of they taught a group of monkeys to smoke crack cocaine from some type of contraption, and gave them access to an unlimited supply. These same monkeys had plenty of available food and water, yet each one of them smoked crack until they died in under 9 days.
I say we legalize ALL drugs.
I recall that.

Only I think it was rats, and they were given a choice between cocaine and food.

End result was the same - they starved.

Sao Paulo

#93192 Jun 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Even more often than stealing alcohol almost all hard drug users have one trait in common. They smoked cigarettes first. I saw the stats on it once and they are rather surprising.
I believe that the concept of a gateway drug has been pretty much debunked. Environmental factors are much bigger. Drug users tend to breed drug users. I don't think it is genetic, they tend to get trapped in an ever lasting loop. An exgirlfriend had a drug problem, her three kids the same. A high number of her friends were drug users and their kids tended to be drug users too.
What is amazing about this is if you get to know the kids young enough they all hated their parents addictions, and yet they did not have the ability to say no when it was their turn.
But think of how many smokers who have never used drugs.

I think it's from the group of friends you choose at a young age that has a strong influence of who you turn out to be. I grew up in a very rural part of New England in the 70's where friends were scarce. My 2 close friends both smoked cigarettes beginning at 15, and as a result, so did I. I honestly don't think it was the cigarettes that lead to the pot, but something did, and at 16 we had all become avid pot smokers and beer drinkers.(2 of the three were also pretty heavy boozers at 16, less one which I explained in my last post! But I was drinking quite a bit of beer by then). This aslo seemed to be the trend with the greater part of the people we hung out with at school. There was no (known) history of drug use or alcoholism an any of our families, and no one of us had ever been subjected to child abuse or any other sort of factor which may lead a child astray. Looking back I think it was out of sheer boredom.

A few years ago I visited this hometown, saw a few familiar faces, but it really hurt to learn that one of the two mentioned friends was doing 10 years in prison for armed robbery, and the other had become a worthless drug addict living with relatives. What turned these people into who they had become was their surroundings growing up.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#93193 Jun 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Once drugs are legalized, the crime associated with them will disappear. It's not the drugs themselves that causes the crime, it's the illegality and subsequent expense that causes the crime, from theft to murder. It will also put these rip off, welfare collecting thugs out of business.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#93194 Jun 18, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good point, but certainly most drug users have had a drink in their lives before experimenting with drugs.
When I was 13 and home alone (for the first time I think) I had an opportunity at that bottle of J&B in our cabinets. My parents weren't really drinkers, but kept that old bottle for guests. I ended up drinking half of it mixed with koolaide. That was the last time I drank whiskey in my lifetime. In fact if I even smell the stuff it makes me want to vomit.
My point being, other than a light-hearted story, it certainly wasn't a gateway drug for me.
Far fewer people become chronic drug abusers than the vast numbers who have experimented with drugs and alcohol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 5 min wichita-rick 1,892
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min CJ Rocker 149,086
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 34 min Captn Morgan 6,841
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 45 min mrbill3 40,429
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 56 min Princess Hey 77,373
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 1 hr Princess Hey 54,841
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 1 hr Princess Hey 9,130
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr -Lea- 22,239
Truck containing 36,000 pounds of Crisco stolen 7 hr JV Team 44
True or False Game 8 hr -CatCiao- 410