Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216668 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#93190 Jun 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know of it true efficacy for glaucoma, but you have a valid point about using it for anti-nausea. Inhalation also provides a quicker uptake than oral meds. In addition, it stimulates appetite.
Cigarettes aren't especially mood altering. You might get a little light headed, but you can get a similar sensation by hyperventilating.
If you ask most drug users what their first experience with a drug was, they are not unlikely to say smoking a joint - until you ask them if they'd ever stolen some shots from their parents' liquor cabinet or gotten an older friend to buy them a 6 pack. So what is the most common "gateway drug", after all?
Nicotene and alcohol. Absolutely.

I sensibly stopped there.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#93191 Jun 18, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Years ago I read about an experiment carried out by some Gvt. Agency, don’t know the credibility of the article, but it was somewhere along the line of they taught a group of monkeys to smoke crack cocaine from some type of contraption, and gave them access to an unlimited supply. These same monkeys had plenty of available food and water, yet each one of them smoked crack until they died in under 9 days.
I say we legalize ALL drugs.
I recall that.

Only I think it was rats, and they were given a choice between cocaine and food.

End result was the same - they starved.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#93192 Jun 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Even more often than stealing alcohol almost all hard drug users have one trait in common. They smoked cigarettes first. I saw the stats on it once and they are rather surprising.
I believe that the concept of a gateway drug has been pretty much debunked. Environmental factors are much bigger. Drug users tend to breed drug users. I don't think it is genetic, they tend to get trapped in an ever lasting loop. An exgirlfriend had a drug problem, her three kids the same. A high number of her friends were drug users and their kids tended to be drug users too.
What is amazing about this is if you get to know the kids young enough they all hated their parents addictions, and yet they did not have the ability to say no when it was their turn.
But think of how many smokers who have never used drugs.

I think it's from the group of friends you choose at a young age that has a strong influence of who you turn out to be. I grew up in a very rural part of New England in the 70's where friends were scarce. My 2 close friends both smoked cigarettes beginning at 15, and as a result, so did I. I honestly don't think it was the cigarettes that lead to the pot, but something did, and at 16 we had all become avid pot smokers and beer drinkers.(2 of the three were also pretty heavy boozers at 16, less one which I explained in my last post! But I was drinking quite a bit of beer by then). This aslo seemed to be the trend with the greater part of the people we hung out with at school. There was no (known) history of drug use or alcoholism an any of our families, and no one of us had ever been subjected to child abuse or any other sort of factor which may lead a child astray. Looking back I think it was out of sheer boredom.

A few years ago I visited this hometown, saw a few familiar faces, but it really hurt to learn that one of the two mentioned friends was doing 10 years in prison for armed robbery, and the other had become a worthless drug addict living with relatives. What turned these people into who they had become was their surroundings growing up.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#93193 Jun 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm no fan of it either. I don't use it and I don't advocate using it, even for medicinal purposes. The real crime is that treating it like a hobgoblin is what has created 99% of the problem.
Once drugs are legalized, the crime associated with them will disappear. It's not the drugs themselves that causes the crime, it's the illegality and subsequent expense that causes the crime, from theft to murder. It will also put these rip off, welfare collecting thugs out of business.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#93194 Jun 18, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good point, but certainly most drug users have had a drink in their lives before experimenting with drugs.
When I was 13 and home alone (for the first time I think) I had an opportunity at that bottle of J&B in our cabinets. My parents weren't really drinkers, but kept that old bottle for guests. I ended up drinking half of it mixed with koolaide. That was the last time I drank whiskey in my lifetime. In fact if I even smell the stuff it makes me want to vomit.
My point being, other than a light-hearted story, it certainly wasn't a gateway drug for me.
Far fewer people become chronic drug abusers than the vast numbers who have experimented with drugs and alcohol.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#93195 Jun 18, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Once drugs are legalized, the crime associated with them will disappear. It's not the drugs themselves that causes the crime, it's the illegality and subsequent expense that causes the crime, from theft to murder. It will also put these rip off, welfare collecting thugs out of business.
No. The black market is only responsible for a part of antisocial behaviors. Many, many crimes are committed that have nothing to do with drugs, and many crimes are attributed to drugs even though their presence was only peripheral.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#93196 Jun 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I recall that.
Only I think it was rats, and they were given a choice between cocaine and food.
End result was the same - they starved.
Cocaine triggers dopamine release and blocks its re-absorption. In smoke form it evinces a more immediate gratification than food and creates a strong reward cascade that is closely connected to the survival instinct.

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#93197 Jun 18, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, black people are now treated equally, so we got what we wanted there. Women can now vote and own property, we got what we wanted there. Now even gay people are being treated more equally by the laws each year, we're getting what we want there. People who follow superstitious nonsense taught by religion is declining, we're getting what we want there too. Seems you are just scared.
Yes, and you are treated equally. And yes, you do scare me whenever atheist get control it is the end of equal treatment. Thank God America will all ways have spirit and soul. Just because you have no soul does not mean others don't recognize when they yearn.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#93198 Jun 18, 2013
wee wrote:
the creation of God is not measure by human being that is why every one is disturbed
The 'Creation of God' is mythical. So, No, we don't measure it.
Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#93199 Jun 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>The war on drugs only changes where the profit goes.
Showing off your ignorance again I see.
Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#93200 Jun 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Sure I heard stories, read stories, even knew a guy who sold drugs in prison. But I meant really knowing it firsthand , from either perspective. I even knew a girl (mule) who was murdered because of prison drugs.
Mules have nothing to do with the war on Drugs? It's all money? Doesn't have anything to do with prostitution either?
art

Grand Island, NE

#93201 Jun 18, 2013
Repent, For The Time is at Hand... And Judgment Must Now Reign
Listen:

1/18/09 From The Lord, Our God and Savior - A Letter Given to Timothy, For All Those Who Have Ears to Hear

Thus says The Lord God of Israel: Fear My name! From sea to sea, My name shall be great among the Gentiles! Even those in the outermost reaches of the world shall come to know My name, for I shall cause it to resound in all the earth!... And the earth shall tremble, it shall be severely shaken! For I am come!
Peoples of the earth, I am coming down, and I shall visit! Yes, I shall visit, says The Lord. I shall come upon you as the whirlwind, and tear you in pieces as the hurricane! Behold, I shall cover you as the mighty flood! I shall overflow! For judgment has come, and I shall visit! I shall surely repay!

Thus says The Lord God, Creator of Heaven and Earth: I am moved from My place! I am stirred up as the hornet’s nest!... And I shall sting. The noise of My voice shall be heard! The hotness of My anger shall be felt!... A scorching heat, singeing all these hardened foreheads! For they have forsaken Me!

Therefore fall down, all you wicked!
Be cast down, all you high-minded!
Grovel at the feet of your Creator, you double-minded hypocrites!...

FOR I AM COME!...

And I shall visit upon this world great recompense,
For all its adulteries against God!

For all your murders and oppression shall I lay it waste,
O wicked peoples of the earth!

Behold, My hand is removed! Evil reigns!... Horsemen, go forth! Stir up the multitudes! And according to all they have sown, let it be done to them! Let them drink from their own vine of wickedness! Let them partake of their own supper, which they have prepared with contemptuous hands!... Let all the world revel! For the whole world shall be defiled, awash in blood and tears! Pestilences shall come forth and consume, and famine shall increase throughout the land!... Death shall fill every corner!
Then, when the transgressors come to the full, I SHALL VISIT! I shall pour out My anger! It shall be poured out upon them, without respite! The world shall wane, for the weight of My wrath! It shall be turned on its side, for the fury of My judgments!... Lightnings and thunderings, hail and blood, the shaking of all foundations!... Behold, the earth shall spew at My presence!
See more at
http://trumpetcallofgodonline.com/index.php5...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#93202 Jun 18, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and you are treated equally. And yes, you do scare me whenever atheist get control it is the end of equal treatment. Thank God America will all ways have spirit and soul. Just because you have no soul does not mean others don't recognize when they yearn.
That's funny. Christians are the ones who claim the US was founded by/for/about Christianity, yet here it is over 200 years later and we are still battling bronze age bigotry to insure equal treatment under the law for all citizens.
Then we were just talking about addiction. You talk about yearning of the "soul" and probably refute any parallel.
You can't have it both ways without throwing the brain out with the bathwater, Bonzo.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#93203 Jun 18, 2013
art wrote:
Repent, For The Time is at Hand... And Judgment Must Now Reign
Listen:

1/18/09 From The Lord, Our God and Savior - A Letter Given to Timothy, For All Those Who Have Ears to Hear

Thus says The Lord God of Israel: Fear My name! From sea to sea, My name shall be great among the Gentiles! Even those in the outermost reaches of the world shall come to know My name, for I shall cause it to resound in all the earth!... And the earth shall tremble, it shall be severely shaken! For I am come!
Peoples of the earth, I am coming down, and I shall visit! Yes, I shall visit, says The Lord. I shall come upon you as the whirlwind, and tear you in pieces as the hurricane! Behold, I shall cover you as the mighty flood! I shall overflow! For judgment has come, and I shall visit! I shall surely repay!

Thus says The Lord God, Creator of Heaven and Earth: I am moved from My place! I am stirred up as the hornet’s nest!... And I shall sting. The noise of My voice shall be heard! The hotness of My anger shall be felt!... A scorching heat, singeing all these hardened foreheads! For they have forsaken Me!

Therefore fall down, all you wicked!
Be cast down, all you high-minded!
Grovel at the feet of your Creator, you double-minded hypocrites!...

FOR I AM COME!...

And I shall visit upon this world great recompense,
For all its adulteries against God!

For all your murders and oppression shall I lay it waste,
O wicked peoples of the earth!

Behold, My hand is removed! Evil reigns!... Horsemen, go forth! Stir up the multitudes! And according to all they have sown, let it be done to them! Let them drink from their own vine of wickedness! Let them partake of their own supper, which they have prepared with contemptuous hands!... Let all the world revel! For the whole world shall be defiled, awash in blood and tears! Pestilences shall come forth and consume, and famine shall increase throughout the land!... Death shall fill every corner!
Then, when the transgressors come to the full, I SHALL VISIT! I shall pour out My anger! It shall be poured out upon them, without respite! The world shall wane, for the weight of My wrath! It shall be turned on its side, for the fury of My judgments!... Lightnings and thunderings, hail and blood, the shaking of all foundations!... Behold, the earth shall spew at My presence!
See more at
http://trumpetcallofgodonline.com/index.php5...
1. Did "God" have this on the internet?

2. In English?

3. English only?

4. What about non-English readers?

5. Are you normally this gullible?

6. Want to buy some swamp... er...PRIME WATER-FRONT land in Florida?

Answer question # 5 first.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#93204 Jun 18, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Showing off your ignorance again I see.
That would be your job, so why wouldn't you think the war on drugs changes who holds the money?3747

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#93205 Jun 18, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Mules have nothing to do with the war on Drugs? It's all money? Doesn't have anything to do with prostitution either?
Look Mr. extreme dumbtard, the mules had to do with getting drugs in prison, not the war on drugs. If you had an IQ of over 50 you would have realized we were talking about something else.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#93207 Jun 18, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and you are treated equally. And yes, you do scare me whenever atheist get control it is the end of equal treatment. Thank God America will all ways have spirit and soul. Just because you have no soul does not mean others don't recognize when they yearn.
Sweden defies your assertion.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#93208 Jun 18, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweden defies your assertion.
Sweden supports his assertion. You're still a coward and Idiot.

Too bad, cause I was hoping to school you in (genetikos), Genetics.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#93209 Jun 18, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweden supports his assertion. You're still a coward and Idiot.
Too bad, cause I was hoping to school you in (genetikos), Genetics.
How? Sweden has a lower crime rate, more equality, and a better living standard than the US, and is one of the least religious countries. So ... how is what I stated wrong?
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#93210 Jun 18, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How? Sweden has a lower crime rate, more equality, and a better living standard than the US, and is one of the least religious countries. So ... how is what I stated wrong?
First, all I have read from you is assertions.

So which of your claims do you want to defend first?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 6 min Grace Nerissa 67,142
News Would you have spotted the tiny animal that thi... 17 min Go Blue Forever 3
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 19 min SweLL GirL 15,234
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) (Jul '15) 49 min Poppyann 1,435
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 52 min Poppyann 11,139
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 1 hr freedom2016 998
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 1 hr whatimeisit 5,795
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr -ZAMASU- 206,951
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 4 hr Poppyann 10,572
All Christmas Carols/Songs and Quotes.. 7 hr Right On Point 54
More from around the web