Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
87,741 - 87,760 of 114,717 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong kind of "stoning." :P
Oh. Still not a bad idea

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
You like people that burn their kids alive.
I have no problem following Gods word to stone these people. Although I would prefer to burn them alive as they did to the children.
2 Kings 21:6 ESV
And he burned his son as an offering and used fortune-telling and omens and dealt with mediums and with necromancers. He did much evil in the sight of the Lord, provoking him to anger.
2Chronicles 33:6 ESV
And he burned his sons as an offering in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, and used fortune-telling and omens and sorcery, and dealt with mediums and with necromancers. He did much evil in the sight of the Lord, provoking him to anger.
Deuteronomy 18:10 ESV
There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer
You cannot trust the Bible when it says what the enemies of Israel did. It is largely a propaganda piece in that respect. People have lied about their enemies since people were people and probably even before that.

So all we can trust the Bible for is how it tells followers of it to behave and your Bible advocates stoning children. It claims various enemies burnt their children, but without another source to back it up that statement is mere calumny and nothing more.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>Just another lie of the many you use.
"it" can't tell the truth.

Ignore the Duck behind the curtain.

Quack Quack

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

ignorance is bliss86 wrote:
<quoted text>how ot the universe came into form is compleatly irrelivant in the case of proving god exsist or not i think with a certain amount of reasonable credibility we can say that an invisible all knowing all seeing creator,being.thing ect didnt just point and say there you go, earth
Your 3 BIG Myths:

1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.

2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.

3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.

And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.

"SNAP"

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>It's 13% Atheist, could explain an unbelievable suicide rate. Face it mass atheism equals poor conditions. Orwell knew what he was talking about.
Correct!

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Your numbers are incorrect, 34% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force" in 2010.

Sweden's suicide rate is below the US at 11.9.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.

Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.

Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.

According to a 2012 report by the Pew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...

According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."

Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population

While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...

Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone wants to live their life believing in something that is not true that is their choice. Not up to me, you or anyone to tell them they are stupid and wrong. Like you said no one is going to change the opinion of someone who is unwilling to be reasonable.
If an adult wants to live their life in that way, it's no skin off my nose. When you are complacent about indoctrinating neighbor's children with bronze age dogma and doctrine, it is stepping beyond tolerance and acceptance.

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Your numbers are incorrect, 34% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force" in 2010.

Sweden's suicide rate is below the US at 11.9.
2.3% what a joke your religion is!

You claim all humans are born atheist.
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population that is atheist is at 2.3%.

That means that 97.7% of your congregation has left your faith!!

WTF is wrong with you guys?
97.7%!!!!!!!

Do you realize how many people that is?

Man you're not just losing them at that rate there running from you! LMFAO

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>don't priests and clergy have an abnormally high suicide rate?
No

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Your 3 BIG Myths:
1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.
You just showed yourself to be either a liar or a fool. The Big Bang was not an explosion, anyone who is at least halfway educated knows this.

Second, you don't seem to know the meaning of the word "Myth". Myths don't have evidence. We have quite a bit of evidence that supports our beliefs. What sort of evidence do you have that supports your beliefs?
2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.
And you continue to show you are a liar or a fool. That is now how abiogenesis occurred.

This idea is not a theory yet, it is still in the hypothesis stage. Still our ideas are supported by evidence so not a myth.
3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.
And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.
"SNAP"
So at the very least you are a fool. Odds are that you are a liar too. Very few creationists are honest. Honest ones tend to become evolutionists.

Plants never evolved to become animals. If you need help with understanding evolution why don't you ask nicely? I am sure that people would help you.

Education is the cure for stupidity.
Dinoeater

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no the bible clearly says god said it is OK to kill people who do not believe in him..
and that you can have slaves. and that you can kill homosexuals.
the god your cult invented is no god. a criminal perhaps, but no god.
one question what cult would that be? let's look at the definition of cult: A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
let's see my religion is worldwide so no. we don't kill anybody or do anything weird so your wrong there. unless you are saying that my religion follows sola scriptura (that we follow scripture alone) then yes you could say we are strangely correct. most other religions follow traditions one. and how do you even know which religion I am?
I already went through killing go back to my previous post with the bible text and stop spamming! I'm getting tired of repeating myself I thought you scientists were supposed to be smart.
now slavery you can look here: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/what-...
cause i'm hungry and going to see if the food is ready wah i'm starving!
Dinoeater

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You just showed yourself to be either a liar or a fool. The Big Bang was not an explosion, anyone who is at least halfway educated knows this.
Second, you don't seem to know the meaning of the word "Myth". Myths don't have evidence. We have quite a bit of evidence that supports our beliefs. What sort of evidence do you have that supports your beliefs?
<quoted text>
And you continue to show you are a liar or a fool. That is now how abiogenesis occurred.
This idea is not a theory yet, it is still in the hypothesis stage. Still our ideas are supported by evidence so not a myth.
<quoted text>
So at the very least you are a fool. Odds are that you are a liar too. Very few creationists are honest. Honest ones tend to become evolutionists.
Plants never evolved to become animals. If you need help with understanding evolution why don't you ask nicely? I am sure that people would help you.
Education is the cure for stupidity.
really? cause I'm pretty sure its the other way around honest evolutionists become Christians. and most christians that turn atheist are probably catholic.
but I agree with you he was slightly misinformed what the theory says is that basically space was really tiny and then it expanded. for more info on bigbang and how it is wrong go here: http://amazingdiscoveries.org/C-deception_big...

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Dinoeater wrote:
<quoted text>
one question what cult would that be? let's look at the definition of cult: A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
let's see my religion is worldwide so no. we don't kill anybody or do anything weird so your wrong there. unless you are saying that my religion follows sola scriptura (that we follow scripture alone) then yes you could say we are strangely correct. most other religions follow traditions one. and how do you even know which religion I am?
Not sure what particular religion you are, but there are very few religions whose adherents haven't killed in the name of their beliefs. The big three, Judaism, Christianity and Islam have the most blood on their hands.
Dinoeater wrote:
<quoted text>
I already went through killing go back to my previous post with the bible text and stop spamming! I'm getting tired of repeating myself I thought you scientists were supposed to be smart.
now slavery you can look here: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/what-...
cause i'm hungry and going to see if the food is ready wah i'm starving!
yes the bible condones slavery, it even allows a man to sell his daughter into slavery

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.(Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare,'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.(Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

http://www.skeptobot.com/2008/10/skeptics-in-...
Dinoeater wrote:
<quoted text>
really? cause I'm pretty sure its the other way around honest evolutionists become Christians. and most christians that turn atheist are probably catholic.
but I agree with you he was slightly misinformed what the theory says is that basically space was really tiny and then it expanded. for more info on bigbang and how it is wrong go here: http://amazingdiscoveries.org/C-deception_big...
please explain Cosmic Background Radiation....

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~yukimoon/BigBang...

Paul Taylor is an idiot

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Dinoeater wrote:
<quoted text>
Slightly? I guess saying that Jesus was nailed to a tree would be "slightly" wrong according to you. He was wrong on all three of his claims and not slightly.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

And, no, the number of honest evolutionists that become Christians is very small compared to the number of honest creationists that become evolutionists.

By the way, you are a fool if you think that evolution and Christianity are incompatible. So in actuality your statement is based upon a false assumption and therefore is nonsensical.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Karma is a_______ wrote:
http://www.skeptobot.com/2008/ 10/skeptics-in-pub-review-paul -taylor-from.html<quoted text>
please explain Cosmic Background Radiation....
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~yukimoon/BigBang...
Paul Taylor is an idiot
Yup, he does not even know what is a problem for the Big Bang theory. That we may not know where the mass came from for the Big Bang is in no way a problems for the theory. Nor is the fact that science can only go back so far in its description of the very early universe a problem. Taylor is a fool and seems to think that science admitting its own limitations is a weakness. Actually it is a strength. It is what allows science to advance.
Dinoeater

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
And, no, the number of honest evolutionists that become Christians is very small compared to the number of honest creationists that become evolutionists.
By the way, you are a fool if you think that evolution and Christianity are incompatible. So in actuality your statement is based upon a false assumption and therefore is nonsensical.
Most of those Christians become atheist probably because of the hell thing. But hell does not exist its a made up thing the catholic church invented. when a person dies they are dead as the saying goes "dead men tell no tales"
Now what do you mean i'm a fool if I think Christianity and evolution are incompatible? are you drunk? of course they are incompatible if you guys believe humans are decedents of monkeys and we believe that humans were created by god then its like pouring water into fire. ether the water evaporates or the fire extinguishes you can only have one or the other. and if you are talking about god creating animals and them evolving well now you are just pathetic. making up a fairytale just to satisfy both sides.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.
Pitzer College sociologist Phil Zuckerman compiled country-by-country survey concerning suicide rates, this is the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations. According to the 2003 World Health Organization's report on international male suicides rates (which compared 100 countries), of the top ten nations with the highest male suicide rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly irreligious nations with high levels of atheism. It is interesting to note, however, that of the top remaining nine nations leading the world in male suicide rates, all are former Soviet/Communist nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine, and Latvia. Of the bottom ten nations with the lowest male suicide rates, all are highly religious nations with statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism.
http://www.adherents.com/misc/religion_suicid...
Just assertions, where is the evidence supporting these? I know, there isn't any. The numbers show otherwise, and there is no connection between religion and suicide. Now, why don't you ever post any actual evidence when you claim to have it?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>where did they come up with the lower aggression levels in religiously affiliated patients?
what does the them being former soviet states have to do with it? probably the horrid economic conditions there had more to do with it than any religion...
There is a small connection to social and economic status with suicides. However the social status has the strongest connection.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••