Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 209518 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92630 Jun 13, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>It is simple. College is not mandatory. College is supposed to provide an education. Why shouldn't a person be introduced to the facts of science. This is just a manifestation of the same old fear. If they actually learn something, they may think the Bible really is just a series of allegories. There are choices in advanced education. I no some of the Taliban-like religious schools are happy to turn out under-educated sheep.


Science is not only evolution. There is so much more to science that evolution is just a little drop in the bucket. If a person is studying something that has nothing to do with neither religion or evolution then they should not be required to study about them. If a religious scientist teaches you how to dissect a frog he will teach you the same way a evolution scientists will. I remember in school and college, in science, biology, microbiology, anatomy ect ect we didn't talk about religion or evolution.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92631 Jun 13, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I took bowling as an undergrad. It was fun and I learned something.
I don't know of any English degree programs that require a class in evolution as part of the degree. That sounds like a really good school.
I don't either. I just threw that out there for many require certain classes before you can get your degree.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#92632 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
So in the same perspective of your thinking, then all evolutionist should have to be required to go sit and listen to the sermons at the churches.
I already do that.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#92633 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is not only evolution. There is so much more to science that evolution is just a little drop in the bucket. If a person is studying something that has nothing to do with neither religion or evolution then they should not be required to study about them. If a religious scientist teaches you how to dissect a frog he will teach you the same way a evolution scientists will. I remember in school and college, in science, biology, microbiology, anatomy ect ect we didn't talk about religion or evolution.
Actually, evolution isn't a drop in the bucket considering it is the foundation of modern biology.

I suppose when you are on the board of the university or college of your choice you can make that case.

What makes you think those frog dissectors aren't one in the same. You are making a classic mistake. Science does not equal atheism and atheism does not need science. You have heard the anti-evolution line for so long it has become part of your foundation.

That must have been a very, very long time ago. Evolution was taught and discussed in my biology classes. Religion didn't come up much since it was a science curriculum.

A well rounded education does and should include a variety of coursework in a number of different areas. Perhaps instead of as you suggest, more students took science courses, there wouldn't be room for scared, ignorant people to fabricate a fictional controversy.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92634 Jun 13, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, evolution isn't a drop in the bucket considering it is the foundation of modern biology.
I suppose when you are on the board of the university or college of your choice you can make that case.
What makes you think those frog dissectors aren't one in the same. You are making a classic mistake. Science does not equal atheism and atheism does not need science. You have heard the anti-evolution line for so long it has become part of your foundation.
That must have been a very, very long time ago. Evolution was taught and discussed in my biology classes. Religion didn't come up much since it was a science curriculum.
A well rounded education does and should include a variety of coursework in a number of different areas. Perhaps instead of as you suggest, more students took science courses, there wouldn't be room for scared, ignorant people to fabricate a fictional controversy.
Not a very very long time ago, but it was long ago. 20 years ago I graduated with my second masters. I went into college right out of high school. I am now 48 and still study and learn everyday, many things I do require yearly CEU's(to make sure we are up-to-date). I don't see it as a natter of being scared, I see it as what they believe and I am not one that thinks someone should be told what they believe is wrong and that they should change what they believe.

Just a short list of sciences but not all require knowing about evolution.
Botany, Chemistry, Mineralogy, Biology, Astronomy, Geology, Microbiology, Paleontology, Medicine, Pathology, Linguistics, Entomology, Seismology, Forestry, Ichthyology.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92635 Jun 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you're a religious nut, many of you idiots come here trying to claim you are not religious, yet every single one eventually slips up and gets outed by their own posts. I'm wagering you're a sock of one of those.
"a sock of one of those" What does that actually mean? lol

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#92636 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a very very long time ago, but it was long ago. 20 years ago I graduated with my second masters. I went into college right out of high school. I am now 48 and still study and learn everyday, many things I do require yearly CEU's(to make sure we are up-to-date). I don't see it as a natter of being scared, I see it as what they believe and I am not one that thinks someone should be told what they believe is wrong and that they should change what they believe.
Just a short list of sciences but not all require knowing about evolution.
Botany, Chemistry, Mineralogy, Biology, Astronomy, Geology, Microbiology, Paleontology, Medicine, Pathology, Linguistics, Entomology, Seismology, Forestry, Ichthyology.
In order to learn science such as those you list, you must have a solid, basic understanding of the underlying principles which includes the theory of evolution. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but you won't understand biology and a vast number of sciences very well or at all without that. People (including scientists) may tell other people (including scientists) to believe or not believe a whole lot of things, but it isn't part of the structure of science. However, if you say that the biblical flood is real, there is nothing in science to support that. If you say that Adam and Eve were the first people, there is nothing in science to support that. If you say that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, there is nothing in science to support that. Science has large bodies of evidence that would not exist if a flood occurred. Science has large bodies of evidence that show human existence back millions of years to before we were human. Science has large bodies of evidence that show that the Earth is over four billion years old and the universe may at least be 13 billion years old. These bodies of evidence are growing by the hour, by the day, by the week, by the year. What do you propose be done? Should we just ignore all these facts as if they don't exist and crawl back into the Bronze age? Be my guest. I am staying here.

Surely you must have read other posts on here by creationists. Telling others what to believe is their stock in trade. You do it yourself in a round about way since you started posting. You seem to have some issue with why others are posting here and how they spend their time. You have made no effort to conceal your derision towards at least some of the posters on here. That is telling others what they believe is wrong.

What are your degrees in? Didn't you mention being a retired Marine? Having been raised by a Marine, I have a sentimentality for that branch of the service. My younger brother and I were taught how to defend ourselves from a bayonet attack when we were about 9 or 10 years old. It was great fun then, but I haven't had any call for that skill to date. We used to listen studiously to stories of my father's service in WWII and Korea. Some of them were about those wars as well.

“Proud Member”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#92637 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
"a sock of one of those" What does that actually mean? lol
A person with multiple accounts who is known by a name , switches accounts to a sock account and is a brand new person.
There are lots of so called "believers" who do this, and is just another form of dishonesty they embrace.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#92638 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
"a sock of one of those" What does that actually mean? lol
When you have other registered names besides the one you use most or when an unregistered person registers as if they are new here or while continuing to post unregistered. It is no effort at all to do this. Topix is very friendly to the practice. I have a stalker that followed me all the way from an obscure thread on Missouri politics to this forum. He has had one registered name banned for threats and has at least four others as well as posting unregistered. I find him amusing because he acts like he invented the technique and is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. My registered name is the only one I use, but it started out as a tribute to a guy pretending to be a number of different people. However, there are a number of benign socks on Topix as well. People that register multiple times to replay the Topix game for instance or make a joke of it or forget their password. So like anything it has a good side and a bad side depending on the user.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92639 Jun 13, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>In order to learn science such as those you list, you must have a solid, basic understanding of the underlying principles which includes the theory of evolution. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but you won't understand biology and a vast number of sciences very well or at all without that. People (including scientists) may tell other people (including scientists) to believe or not believe a whole lot of things, but it isn't part of the structure of science. However, if you say that the biblical flood is real, there is nothing in science to support that. If you say that Adam and Eve were the first people, there is nothing in science to support that. If you say that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, there is nothing in science to support that. Science has large bodies of evidence that would not exist if a flood occurred. Science has large bodies of evidence that show human existence back millions of years to before we were human. Science has large bodies of evidence that show that the Earth is over four billion years old and the universe may at least be 13 billion years old. These bodies of evidence are growing by the hour, by the day, by the week, by the year. What do you propose be done? Should we just ignore all these facts as if they don't exist and crawl back into the Bronze age? Be my guest. I am staying here.
Surely you must have read other posts on here by creationists. Telling others what to believe is their stock in trade. You do it yourself in a round about way since you started posting. You seem to have some issue with why others are posting here and how they spend their time. You have made no effort to conceal your derision towards at least some of the posters on here. That is telling others what they believe is wrong.
What are your degrees in? Didn't you mention being a retired Marine? Having been raised by a Marine, I have a sentimentality for that branch of the service. My younger brother and I were taught how to defend ourselves from a bayonet attack when we were about 9 or 10 years old. It was great fun then, but I haven't had any call for that skill to date. We used to listen studiously to stories of my father's service in WWII and Korea. Some of them were about those wars as well.
Yes I know what you are saying. Science is science. And yes I see it from both side. Yes I am a retired Marine. Went to school during my down downtime. You have to have a back up plan for when you are no longer in the service. Just speaking comically the best defense for a bayonet attack is a bullet lol. But yes again I know what you mean for many times hand to hand has to be done even if by choice to keep covert. My degrees, well I have seen here no matter what a person says he does or holds degrees in he is ridiculed and called a liar ect ect so that I will keep to myself.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92640 Jun 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
A person with multiple accounts who is known by a name , switches accounts to a sock account and is a brand new person.
There are lots of so called "believers" who do this, and is just another form of dishonesty they embrace.
Thank you. I had never heard that. I will keep that in mind.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92641 Jun 13, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>When you have other registered names besides the one you use most or when an unregistered person registers as if they are new here or while continuing to post unregistered. It is no effort at all to do this. Topix is very friendly to the practice. I have a stalker that followed me all the way from an obscure thread on Missouri politics to this forum. He has had one registered name banned for threats and has at least four others as well as posting unregistered. I find him amusing because he acts like he invented the technique and is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. My registered name is the only one I use, but it started out as a tribute to a guy pretending to be a number of different people. However, there are a number of benign socks on Topix as well. People that register multiple times to replay the Topix game for instance or make a joke of it or forget their password. So like anything it has a good side and a bad side depending on the user.
And thank you for the answer as well. I will keep that in mind. I had never heard that. Just proof again learning never stops even if it is a simple thing.

“What's your story? Nevermind.”

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

none of my business.

#92642 Jun 13, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>In order to learn science such as those you list, you must have a solid, basic understanding of the underlying principles which includes the theory of evolution. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but you won't understand biology and a vast number of sciences very well or at all without that. People (including scientists) may tell other people (including scientists) to believe or not believe a whole lot of things, but it isn't part of the structure of science. However, if you say that the biblical flood is real, there is nothing in science to support that. If you say that Adam and Eve were the first people, there is nothing in science to support that. If you say that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, there is nothing in science to support that. Science has large bodies of evidence that would not exist if a flood occurred. Science has large bodies of evidence that show human existence back millions of years to before we were human. Science has large bodies of evidence that show that the Earth is over four billion years old and the universe may at least be 13 billion years old. These bodies of evidence are growing by the hour, by the day, by the week, by the year. What do you propose be done? Should we just ignore all these facts as if they don't exist and crawl back into the Bronze age? Be my guest. I am staying here.
Surely you must have read other posts on here by creationists. Telling others what to believe is their stock in trade. You do it yourself in a round about way since you started posting. You seem to have some issue with why others are posting here and how they spend their time. You have made no effort to conceal your derision towards at least some of the posters on here. That is telling others what they believe is wrong.
What are your degrees in? Didn't you mention being a retired Marine? Having been raised by a Marine, I have a sentimentality for that branch of the service. My younger brother and I were taught how to defend ourselves from a bayonet attack when we were about 9 or 10 years old. It was great fun then, but I haven't had any call for that skill to date. We used to listen studiously to stories of my father's service in WWII and Korea. Some of them were about those wars as well.
Let me clarify a little more. I graduated high school in 82, went ROTC (other than basic, right to college) in the 80's we had plenty of down time so school seemed to be the wise choice while one had the time and could do it. The 80's were a slow time for US war other than Grenada and Panama which we refer to as overnight wars. Since the early 90's down time doesn't happen that often and when they do get it,it is just a break, usually a year to year 1/2 then back out again.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#92643 Jun 13, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I know what you are saying. Science is science. And yes I see it from both side. Yes I am a retired Marine. Went to school during my down downtime. You have to have a back up plan for when you are no longer in the service. Just speaking comically the best defense for a bayonet attack is a bullet lol. But yes again I know what you mean for many times hand to hand has to be done even if by choice to keep covert. My degrees, well I have seen here no matter what a person says he does or holds degrees in he is ridiculed and called a liar ect ect so that I will keep to myself.
To be fair, a person is usually ridiculed when they claim a degree that doesn't fit the content of their posts. For example, this character HTS claims to have a medical degree, but the content of his/her posts don't show much actual knowledge of science. I would expect someone with a medical degree to maintain at least that. I know a number of physicians and whether they are religious or not they understand the science. My recent stalker has claimed to be a surgeon, an astrophysicist, and engineer and a PhD psychologist. You don't mind if I doubt these unless you think Doc Savage or Buckaroo Bonzai is posting here. However, I respect your desire to keep your personal information your own.

Yes, the bullet option was mentioned, but of course the training was for fun and an example when the bullet option was not available. We ate those stories up. We were good little recruits until we became teenagers. I remember a story dad told us when I was in first grade. He made it up, but I didn't know and he didn't know I would tell it all over school. Basically, he was stranded on a island, cut off from his unit. He was on a plateau overlooking a beach with 20,000 Japanese soldiers standing shoulder to shoulder. He stepped off the high ground onto the helmets of the soldiers and picked up weapons as he went. Finally he was able to capture the lot of them. I recall vaguely telling this to my entire class. The response was "my dad captured 40,000 soldiers." Some of his other stories turned out to be true.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#92644 Jun 14, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me clarify a little more. I graduated high school in 82, went ROTC (other than basic, right to college) in the 80's we had plenty of down time so school seemed to be the wise choice while one had the time and could do it. The 80's were a slow time for US war other than Grenada and Panama which we refer to as overnight wars. Since the early 90's down time doesn't happen that often and when they do get it,it is just a break, usually a year to year 1/2 then back out again.
Yeah, I remember the 80's when we only thought we might go to war. And the 90's and 2000's when we really did. I took advantage of what the VA had to offer dependents toward a college education. I did the first two years of ROTC and decided it wasn't for me. Sometimes I think maybe I should have stuck with it, but I had another track in mind that I do not regret taking. I have since had opportunities to join but passed on them. Now I have reached an age that if the military wants me, we all better worry.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#92645 Jun 14, 2013
GLXGT wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and who said anything being in a different state is a different thing> Not me. You brought that up. That would be something like a straw man fallacy don't you think. And yes "straw man fallacy" is spelt that way, not "strawman" as you always spell it. LMFAO
Snow = frozen water .... it's water ... that's frozen ... different state, same thing. Moron. That's just one, you are no longer worth more time.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#92646 Jun 14, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Russia and Ethiopia were anti-semitic countries, atheistic, communist countries when the Jew wanted to leave those places and return to Israel.
Russia refused to open its borders until global pressure was put on them.
Ethiopia wouldn't open its borders either...they had to be paid off.
Isaiah 43:5-6
"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north,`Give them up!' and to the south,`Do not hold them back.' Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth…
The political restrictions set on a country by its politicians have bugger all to do with the religion of its people. In the case of Russia these restrictions were set for various reasons including national security and the unwillingness to start a brain drain given the political tensions with the US of the time. It was not just Jews who were prevented from leaving the country, EVERYONE was.

As for Ethiopia I am unaware what the reasons were but I assume that their aim was cash, which they got.

Note that for an atheist country Russia boasts over 100 million christians. Stalin took great political risk in reinstating the churches and religious institutions. Russia has no state religion but then again neither does France or the USA. Are you saying these are atheist countries?

I don’t really see what a babble quote has to do with modern day politics but hey here is one right back at ya

Exodus 2:12 (KJV)

And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand.

FYI, in most modern political systems that would be called premeditated murder

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#92647 Jun 14, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you Charles. These Evoutionist seem to never understand that our existence is a miracle from our Creator and he has all power to accomplish this. As always God bless you.
My prayers and regards, many thanks.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#92648 Jun 14, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll never understand why Atheist can not come to terms with their history of failure towards free speech and human rights under control or leadership.
I'll never understand why creationists can not come to terms with their history of failure towards free speech and human rights under control or leadership.

You uh, DO remember THOUSANDS of years of rule under the Divine Right of Kings, right?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#92649 Jun 14, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>He gave every living thing instructions to be fruitful and to multiply after their own kind and thats it.
If by "after their own kind" you mean they don't violate nested hierarchies, I would agree.

Other than that though I'd say you know very little about God's creation because you're too busy idolizing an old book instead of paying attention to reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 1 min Poppyann 3,315
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 min Poppyann 5,054
Name an item game 4 min andet1987 269
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 10 min A Noted Observer 61,418
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 10 min andet1987 20,549
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 37 min Poppyann 429
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 39 min Poppyann 10,623
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr seriously the ori... 200,782
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 3 hr Princess Hey 147,170
More from around the web