Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 4,311)

Showing posts 86,201 - 86,220 of112,792
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

"Unfair?" Did I somehow forget to mention the 501(c)s funneled by non-profit, non-political religious organizations to support their stooges and cronies in government?
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

One of Aron Ra's better pieces of work on why creationism does not belong in public schools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Since: May 13

Night is Night

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Ok I have a couple questions. I see threads that say "posting for points" others say "lets swap props". What is that about? Also there is a gray thumbs up icon in right upper corner of everyone's comment box. What is it? Just curious.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

imagine2011 wrote:
http://ncse.com/news/anti-evol ution
And your point is?

It looks like Louisiana might repeal its creationism bill before it gets to court. That would be a wise move on their part since it would obviously be considered unconstitutional and the lawsuit would end up costing the state money that could be better spent elsewhere.

It looks like all of the other "attempts" to get creationism in school were simply talking points that amounted to nothing from political campaigns.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

patrisha1976 wrote:
LOL. Charles Darwin was a racist.
O hai! Guess what you missed on PAGE FREAKIN' ONE!

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...
patrisha1976 wrote:
There's no prove that all life arose from one common ancestor.
"Proof"? No. Proof is for math and alcohol. Science deals with facts and evidence. And THAT is something evolution has aplenty. See you also missed this on page 885:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...

Although we probably also accomplished that point much earlier in the thread, it's just I can easily remember the number 885 for a quick reference.
patrisha1976 wrote:
I am not surprised that the evolutionist theories are collapsing.
Well we sure would be. So would the scientific community at large.

Tell me, if the theory of the modern evolutionary synthesis is on the brink of collapse, then how come you know about it but not ONE PERSON of the scientific community in the ENTIRE FRAGGING WORLD does?

Or could it be that you're just SLIGHTLY overstating your case?

Just a smidge?
patrisha1976 wrote:
Atheist science defend Darwinism like a religion.
Atheism?? My dear lady, I'm afraid that atheism has no relevance to science. You will also find that religious people, Christians included also defend evolution from the educated ignorant anti-science types such as yourself, not for theological/philosophical reasons, but for one simple fact - evolution is scientific. And it works.
patrisha1976 wrote:
What a big fraud! One Hoax after another.
You mean the creationists who oppose it? I agree. They are a loud group of massive hypocritical liars for Jesus, one and all.
patrisha1976 wrote:
They are so quick to announce their fake evolution discoveries, but they are not so quick to expose their mistakes and disproven conjectures.
Actually the ONLY people who have pointed out any "failures" of evolution are the evolutionists themselves. By using evolutionary science that you REJECT. For example:

We could point out a known fraud. We could point out that you would agree it was a fraud. We could point to scientific methods that help establish evolution that you would reject. We could then point out that those same methods are what exposed the fraud in the first place.

Now, if your position was scientifically consistent obviously we should NOT be able to do that.

So how come we can?

May I ask, if evolution is as incorrect as you claim, what "scientific alternative" do you propose that does a better job of explaining the evidence?
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
"Unfair?" Did I somehow forget to mention the 501(c)s funneled by non-profit, non-political religious organizations to support their stooges and cronies in government?
Since you brought that up, I have to ask you, would you really want to open that can of worms, by taking away the 501C's which would in turn allow every Christian organization to promote their political views and campaign heavily for their side?

This subject has been brought to the attention of the non-profit side, and many have thought it might not be so bad, seeing how the opposition would literally be crushed politically.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

briky wrote:
Ok I have a couple questions. I see threads that say "posting for points" others say "lets swap props". What is that about? Also there is a gray thumbs up icon in right upper corner of everyone's comment box. What is it? Just curious.
I've been wondering the same thing.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

briky wrote:
Topix started this dopy contest months ago. Initially it was very annoying as all sorts of yahoos started posting all over the place. Eventually, they learned it was best to start their own thread for the purpose.

The thumps is called props. Think of it as an attaboy or a pat on the back. Something like the judging icons but you know who did it. You get points for that as well.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is coming...see where it has already started in states, soon to be at the federal level. Have fun watching...:-)
The anti-evolution bill, HB 1674, had passed the House Education Committee in a close 9 to 8 vote earlier in the session, but it never made it to the full House for a vote. Legislators, however, could still use the language of the bill in another measure, which was attempted last year, or use other legislative rules or protocols to pass it.
Sponsored by Gus Blackwell, a Laverne Republican, the bill argues that topics, such as evolution, global warming and cloning can cause controversy, and teachers should teach their weaknesses and strengths. The problem here is that the underlying science of these subjects is absolutely not controversial among scientists, researchers and academics. The controversy is generated by some religious people, who feel subjects such as evolution contradict their world view, specifically their belief in creationism. I wrote about the bill here. Similar bills have been passed in Louisiana and Tennessee.
http://okiefunk.com/node/1216
This does not actually support your claims. This is not the courts supporting creationism in schools. This is political poobahs pushing creationism illegally at a local level using political pressuring of local school boards. This is a way to AVOID the LEGAL way of doing things, by actually verifying your position has scientific backing using scientific research and in no way motivated by the religion you were born into. However, if you guys happen to be successful in actually teaching creationism in public schools, it does have the side-effect (aside from ruining science education of course) of inviting court cases from those who oppose you for legal reasons that have solid standing. And if it does indeed go to court your guys WILL lose. Just as they always do.

And THEN what happens is the school board is stiffed with a million dollar bill for violating the Constitution and teaching stupid. Of course this is a hindrance to teaching, not a benefit.

But hey, who cares about education when Jesus is gonna come back any day now?(shrug)
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is not a religion, dumbass.
It would be unconstitutional to teach third century religion in place of twenty first century science in a public school.
"Unfair?" I pay taxes for roads built specifically for real estate developers. I pay taxes for politicians I did not vote for or who proudly fail to represent their constituents. I pay taxes to provide "incentive packages" and tax deductions for those who barely notice. I pay taxes for pro sports arenas and stadiums. I pay taxes for people to be incarcerated for smoking a plant. I pay taxes to support crooked bankers. I pay taxes to invade and occupy countries we have no business in, and to barely support the broken men and families that has been the result.
AND I've paid for 28 years of private schooling for my kids.
If you are a productive member of society, pony up your fair share. If you decide to have children and decide not to opt for the publicly available education, pony up your fair share.
Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.
Your monkey version of science is a faith type of religion

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Night is Night

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix started this dopy contest months ago. Initially it was very annoying as all sorts of yahoos started posting all over the place. Eventually, they learned it was best to start their own thread for the purpose.
The thumps is called props. Think of it as an attaboy or a pat on the back. Something like the judging icons but you know who did it. You get points for that as well.
Points for what? I have no points. The thumbs up I see are gray and do nothing. I just hovered over yours in your comment and it does noting, can't click it or anything.

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Night is Night

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
What it does say when I go over the thumb is "you are out of props". I have never gave anyone a prop so I guess I never had any. How do you get them?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your monkey version of science is a faith type of religion
You clearly do not know what science is. Since evolution is a scientific theory that is supported by scientific tests, and has passed those tests for over 150 years it is clearly science.

Why do you continually make stupid remarks like this and then avoid debating the science of evolution?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

briky wrote:
<quoted text>
Points for what? I have no points. The thumbs up I see are gray and do nothing. I just hovered over yours in your comment and it does noting, can't click it or anything.
You have to register with Topix to see the points. It is a game of no consequence, but it can help to pass the time while waiting for a reply.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but the problem is a Christian school cost money and the parents are already forced into paying property taxes to pay for the secular public schools that teach things against their religion.
It is quite unfair.
How would you like to have to pay for school that teaches things you don't believe in...and then, on top of that, fund a private school tuition?
Very unfair and unconstitutional.
Taxation without representation.
It's not unfair at all. It's not just schools that taxes pay for. Police. Fire department. Military defence. Sanitation. Road maintenance. A whole HOST of other things.

Now you could claim that at least ONE of those things is something you've never used nor needed. And that's as maybe. Same as somebody else could pick something else. But they ALL have to pay for ALL the same public services. Just because I've lived my whole life and never needed the fire department does NOT mean I get out of paying any taxes towards it. Heck I could even let my house burn down just on principle for the sake of not paying any taxes for fire control. But I STILL have to pay.

Public schools are a FREE option which is paid for by ALL citizens, not just you. You DON'T HAVE to use them. You are even free to have your kid go and FAIL science class. After all why not? It's not like you WANT them to learn science anyway, so just tell him about evolution being all about them evil UFO's from Satan and just tell him to learn all the other stuff like math and English instead.

But personalized taxes are COMPLETELY impractical, open to corruption and exceedingly STUPID. Plus don't forget that all your favourite religious institutions are given a FREE RIDE by being given tax exemption status, DESPITE the fact that it inevitably leads to the bleed of economic pressure which effects EVERYBODY, even those who don't share your religion.

Hypocrite.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

briky wrote:
Evolution has been proven in some aspects. So yes science is real and has brought many advancements. But yet it is also change and people are afraid of change. The believers have believed for so long it scares them to have something different come along. Now as MikeF said about Christian school or public school. That is almost going to the point of we don't want you together so go to separate schools. Lets put the evolutionists(whites) here and lets put the creationists(blacks) here. I don't have the answers on how they all can live side by side but both sides trying to force their opinions and points on others only widens the gap between them. It is almost like Dems and Repubs that will always think the other is wrong no matter what happens. Maybe one day everyone will figure out the best way to be the best and be respected by others is to work together, not against each other. Learning is a good thing and both sides still have lots to learn. Problem is they don't want to learn together so it boils down to my way or the highway.
Except it doesn't. Your analogy here is the equivalent that blacks and whites will not get Government money to live in segregation, but they WILL get Government money to live in any old place they see fit. Both blacks and whites STILL have the option to live FAR AWAY from the other group if they wish, it's just they can't sponge extra Government benefits if they CHOOSE to be an anti-social git.

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Night is Night

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to register with Topix to see the points. It is a game of no consequence, but it can help to pass the time while waiting for a reply.
I am registered. I sign in with a briky..... and a password every time I come here. Do I have to do something else?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but the problem is a Christian school cost money and the parents are already forced into paying property taxes to pay for the secular public schools that teach things against their religion.
It is quite unfair.
How would you like to have to pay for school that teaches things you don't believe in...and then, on top of that, fund a private school tuition?
Very unfair and unconstitutional.
Taxation without representation.
Doesn't matter what you believe in, the schools teach facts....as they should.

The universal schooling is for the public good and government should back that, as they do.

If you're one of the wackos that believes the earth is 6,000 years old, I DO NOT want that sh!t taught to my kids.

There's a plethora of Christian beliefs out there that believe different things. Why not put your kid in a school run by your own sect and quit bitchen!!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

briky wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to enable the game. I suppose that's somewhere in your profile somewhere. I never looked for it.

When it started, the game was dropped on all the registered accounts. Some opted out, some (like me) largely ignored it.

It has other goofy stuff like locating the letters to Topix for extra points. The props feature is OK.

If you see the 'early adopter' badge by the avatar, that those of us that got it dropped on us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 86,201 - 86,220 of112,792
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

219 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 3 min Ferrerman 14,733
is wearing footed pajamas as a teen or adult w... (Feb '11) 10 min Ferrerman 37
Serious Question ... please take the time to co... 14 min night machine 20
Driver stops to help ducklings, gets $100 ticket 16 min Private Eye Daffy Duck 3
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 19 min Mister_ E 141,173
The Night Owl Saloon (Jun '11) 19 min SLACK 15,572
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 21 min SLACK 34,916
Woman Flees Topless After Being Caught Shoplifting 43 min pandit 21
Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old mother of five for ... 2 hr hot man 11
•••
•••