Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#90739 May 27, 2013
Here are just a few of the many other passages that prove Bible writers were ignorant of Earth's spherical shape:
Daniel 4:7-8, "I saw a tree of great height at the center of the world. It was large and strong, with its top touching the heavens, and it could be seen from the ends of the earth." This was allegedly an inspired dream, yet it conveys a flat-earth concept, because no matter how tall a tree would be, people on the other side of a spherical earth could not see it.

http://etb-cosmology.blogspot.com/2012/04/anc...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#90740 May 27, 2013
Matthew 4:8, "The devil took him (Jesus) to a very high mountain and displayed before him all the kingdoms of the world in their magnificence...." The only plausible reason for the "very high mountain" was that the altitude would make it possible to see to the ends of the earth. Only on a flat earth would this be remotely possible, so the New Testament writers were as ignorant as the Old.

“Lets all play DantheDipshyts”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

game.of annoyance. It's fun.

#90741 May 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> It isn't so awful they got it wrong, it wasn't for a thousand years later we finally figured out you couldn't sail off the edge of the world. And the the truth being the Earth IS a sphere. It's hard to understand what the ancients thought, us being as advanced in knowing what we now know , because science rejected scripture and discovered it was wrong. The Earth isn't 6,000-10,000 years old , but science collectively with knowledge pushed back it's true age from Hutton's millions Kelvins hundreds of millions to it's true age of 4.7 billion.
I will agree they were simple people. they did not have a vast vocabulary with complex words. They did not understand 2,3,4 ect dimensional.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#90742 May 27, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
What you call 'many flaws' are just you mis-interpretations of scripture.
Even though we point out the correct meaning, you just get mad and start calling names instead of trying to see the Word for what it is really saying.
Nope, they are flaw. Adam and Eve never happened. The same can be said for Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, and all of Genesis. Exodus has been shown by archaeologists to be a fable too.

And don't forget the countless contradictions and the failed prophecies too.

Level 5

#90743 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be asking "where is your evidence". A proof, if it is ever made comes from evidence. Historians will tell you that the people at that time and place thought the Earth was flat. All verses in the Bible make much more sense if they are referring to a flat Earth rather than to a spherical Earth. There are at least three times in the Bible that an event describes the Earth as flat. Can you name these?
Sub it has been good talking with you the past couple days. We have had a good and peaceful discussion/debate/talk with no name calling/rundowns/belittling until Dan comes in. Lets do it again another time. Have a good one. He just gets on my nerves because he is fake in acting, fake in his name and talks with a forked tongue depending what thread his is on.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90744 May 27, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Better yet how about you post the verse or verses where it says the Earth is "flat"
You already did. The verse from Isaiah describes a Flat Earth.

You are the one who claims it says the Earth is spherical, where is a verse that says that?

You have also not found any of the at the very least three times that I know of describe the Earth as flat via geometry.

Level 5

#90745 May 27, 2013
Oh and don't get me wrong, replaytime is not my real name so yes it is a fake, but one I came up with on my own. Not a fake one with someone's name to stalk and harass them.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90746 May 27, 2013
Arrgh! Well Aura Mytha posted two of the times that the Earth is described as flat via geometry.

There is a third one.

And I must run for now. Get this all sorted out so we can get back to evolution by the time I am done.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#90747 May 27, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you think created God?
Priests.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90748 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm, no. I am not even sure if Ponce de Leon was actually looking for the fountain of youth or not, the point is that even if he was that was not a scientific process that he was going through.
First off, almost everybody believes there was a "abiogenesis event". Even the most die hard fundamental Christian believes that. It is the belief of scientists that it was a natural and not magical event.
If God created the first life form than that would be life from life,correct? In other words that wouldn't be abiogenesis. Abiogenesis is spontaneous generation of life from chemical means.

"Examining the structures of DNA, RNA and proteins , one might have to conclude that life could never, in fact, have originated by chemical means."
Leslie E. Orgel,“The Origin of Life on Earth”, Scientific American, Vol 271, October 1994, p. 78

"The belief that life on earth arose spontaneously from non-living matter, is simply a matter of faith in strict reductionism and is based entirely on ideology."
Nuclear physicist and bioinformatician Dr. Hubert P. Yockey

Level 5

#90749 May 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Here are just a few of the many other passages that prove Bible writers were ignorant of Earth's spherical shape:
Daniel 4:7-8, "I saw a tree of great height at the center of the world. It was large and strong, with its top touching the heavens, and it could be seen from the ends of the earth." This was allegedly an inspired dream, yet it conveys a flat-earth concept, because no matter how tall a tree would be, people on the other side of a spherical earth could not see it.
Before I go this could also mean the came to the Oceans, to them that would be the end of the Earth for nothing is in front of them but water. You must realize they were not all over Earth but yet only in a small part of it. And again I am just trying to answer instead of just setting saying you are wrong.

Level 5

#90750 May 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Matthew 4:8, "The devil took him (Jesus) to a very high mountain and displayed before him all the kingdoms of the world in their magnificence...." The only plausible reason for the "very high mountain" was that the altitude would make it possible to see to the ends of the earth. Only on a flat earth would this be remotely possible, so the New Testament writers were as ignorant as the Old.
And again I am just trying to answer instead of just setting saying you are wrong. If I took you to the top of Mt. Everest I would say to you, look out over the beautiful world that God has created. As many have set when the are on the mountain that they can see all of Gods beauty that he created for the feel on top of the world.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90751 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you just proved that in context the Bible describes a flat Earth.
The ancient Jews had a word that could be used for sphere, go the thesaurus you love and you will probably find the English translation of that word there:
http://thesaurus.com/browse/sphere
They never used that word for the Earth, though it was used in the Bible.
It makes no sense to pitch a "tent" over a sphere. It does make sense to have a "tent" over a flat circle.
That is not the only time in the Bible that it describes a flat Earth in context. There are others too. Do you think you can find them?
Heck, just about every sailor knew the earth was round since sailing ships all came into view top of sails first and mountains that were far away were only visible on top.In addition early Christians using scripture all said the earth was a sphere. I wonder why almost all Christians believed that?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90752 May 27, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
If God created the first life form than that would be life from life,correct? In other words that wouldn't be abiogenesis. Abiogenesis is spontaneous generation of life from chemical means.
"Examining the structures of DNA, RNA and proteins , one might have to conclude that life could never, in fact, have originated by chemical means."
Leslie E. Orgel,“The Origin of Life on Earth”, Scientific American, Vol 271, October 1994, p. 78
"The belief that life on earth arose spontaneously from non-living matter, is simply a matter of faith in strict reductionism and is based entirely on ideology."
Nuclear physicist and bioinformatician Dr. Hubert P. Yockey
No. Since in most religions god is a transcendent being he is not considered as "being alive".

And improperly made quotes are always assumed to be lies. Creatards constantly quote without providing links. When links are found it is almost always the case that the creatard was lying.

So please always include links to your quotes, otherwise I will treat them as lies.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90753 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, they are flaw. Adam and Eve never happened. The same can be said for Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, and all of Genesis. Exodus has been shown by archaeologists to be a fable too.
And don't forget the countless contradictions and the failed prophecies too.
Wrong...

There is tons of evidence proving the global flood and Genesis.

There is proof of the Egyptian carriages in the Red Sea.

There are hundreds of proven prophecies also.

Man, you are getting desparate.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90754 May 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry susan, it's in the bible. Though most of you would like to explain it away saying it means something else.
The book of Enoch is in the bible also, just not your bible.
Enoch explains it fully, but is not in your version of the bible.
You have to understand all the books of the bible aren't in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon
There's a reason certain books were not canonized. Sometimes their validity or authenticity was suspect. I have a copy of the Apocrypha but don't give it much weight, it was written by Christians. Angels cannot procreate, that is a fact. They don't have the organs to do so.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90755 May 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> It isn't so awful they got it wrong, it wasn't for a thousand years later we finally figured out you couldn't sail off the edge of the world. And the the truth being the Earth IS a sphere. It's hard to understand what the ancients thought, us being as advanced in knowing what we now know , because science rejected scripture and discovered it was wrong. The Earth isn't 6,000-10,000 years old , but science collectively with knowledge pushed back it's true age from Hutton's millions Kelvins hundreds of millions to it's true age of 4.7 billion.
Maybe you are a victim of the flat earth myth. Check out the dates.

"Should one in boldness say, Lo, I am God! Besides the One -- Eternal -- Infinite, Then let him from the throne he has usurped put forth his power and form another globe, such as we dwell in, saying, This is mine.'"
(Justin Martyr on the Sole Government of God,(150 AD)

“Beautiful without doubt is the world, excelling, as well in its magnitude as in the arrangement of its parts, both those in the oblique circle and those about the north, and also in its spherical form.”
(Athenagoras, A Plea for the Christians, Chapter 16).(175 AD)

Venerable Bede was born about 673 AD. He wrote his treatise On the Reckoning of Time in 725 AD. Bede explains that the different lengths of the days and nights and the variation of the lengths of shadows are caused by the globular shape of the earth.

A 6th century mosaic showing Jesus Christ, King of the World, sitting on a globe is located in the Patriarchal Basilica of St. Lawrence Outside the Walls of Rome.

Besides those three Christian teachers, Origen(3rd century), Augustine of Hippo(5th century),Albertus Magus (13th century), Thomas Aquinas (13th century) Roger Bacon(13th century), Columbus 15th century), Copernicus (16th century), Galileo(16th century), and Magellan(16th century) held that the earth is round.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90756 May 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Isaiah 27:1.
Can you not use Google?
This is my first computer and it's a Windows 8. I can't do a lot of things. I've got a guidebook on line but it's like Greek.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90757 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Since in most religions god is a transcendent being he is not considered as "being alive".
And improperly made quotes are always assumed to be lies. Creatards constantly quote without providing links. When links are found it is almost always the case that the creatard was lying.
So please always include links to your quotes, otherwise I will treat them as lies.

Yet all Christians call Him the Living God.

How lovely is thy dwelling place,
O Lord of hosts!
My soul longs, yea, faints
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and flesh sing for joy
to the living God.(Psalms 84:1-2 RSV)
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90758 May 27, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Research your bible more.
Behemoth has the following attributes according to Job 40:15-24
•It “eats grass like an ox.”
•It “moves his tail like a cedar.”
•Its “bones are like beams of bronze, His ribs like bars of iron.”
•“He is the first of the ways of God.”
•“He lies under the lotus trees,In a covert of reeds and marsh.”
Leviathan has the following attributes according to Job chapter 41, Psalm 104:25,26 and Isaiah 27:1. This is only a partial listing—just enough to make the point.
•“No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up.”
•“Who can open the doors of his face, with his terrible teeth all around?”
•“His rows of scales are his pride, shut up tightly as with a seal; one is so near another that no air can come between them; they are joined one to another, they stick together and cannot be parted.”
•“Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; nor does spear, dart, or javelin. He regards iron as straw, and bronze as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee; slingstones become like stubble to him. Darts are regarded as straw; he laughs at the threat of javelins.”
•“On earth there is nothing like him, which is made without fear.”
•Leviathan “played” in the “great and wide sea”(a paraphrase of Psalm 104 verses 25 and 26—get the exact sense by reading them yourself).
•Leviathan is a “reptile [a] that is in the sea.”(Isaiah 27:1)
[a] Note: The word translated “reptile” here is the Hebrew word tanniyn. This shows that “Leviathan” was also a “tanniyn”
http://clarifyingchristianity.com/dinos.shtml
You're confusing scriptures about "behemoth" with those about "leviathan". Also, some scriptures and prophecies have a dual fulfillment. "Behemoth" means very strong and powerful. "Leviathan" means huge serpent. Both the Messiah and satan are referred to as beasts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 8 min Crazy Jae 6,993
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 9 min Crazy Jae 6,927
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 11 min Crazy Jae 345
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 13 min Stormare 479
Lets Discuss Men (Dec '13) 24 min Crazy Beautiful 289
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 53 min Jennifer Renee 7,856
one word only (Jun '08) 58 min CJ Rocker 55,214
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 59 min johnny belinda 152,923
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr -Lea- 26,051
Is it possible to....... 2 hr Old Sam 620
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr TALLYHO 8541 37,800
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 2 hr dragoon70056 3,051
More from around the web