Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 171795 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#90523 May 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical arrogance of an atheist.
You're saying Newton was a moron?
Funny thing, he was ... in most areas of life. Just because he got one brilliant moment of sanity does not mean he was sane. Most geniuses are actually insane in some way or another, Carl Sagan believed that one could receive "enlightenment" by the use of mind altering substances. Einstein was the most sane of the historical geniuses, oddly enough, and he was a deist. But we don't recall their insanity when discussing the great contributions they made, unlike the religious folks, we honor their accomplishments instead of give the credit to our imaginary friends the way theists do.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#90524 May 25, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does not specifically condemn the practice of slavery. It gives instructions on how slaves should be treated (Deuteronomy 15:12-15; Ephesians 6:9; Colossians 4:1), but does not outlaw slavery altogether. Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery.
What many fail to understand is that slavery in biblical times was very different from the slavery that was practiced in the past few centuries in many parts of the world. The slavery in the Bible was not based exclusively on race. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was more a matter of social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their families. In New Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, and even politicians were slaves of someone else. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to have all their needs provided for by their masters.
Giving rules on how to do something is condoning it. Your bible condones owning human beings.

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#90525 May 25, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does not specifically condemn the practice of slavery. It gives instructions on how slaves should be treated (Deuteronomy 15:12-15; Ephesians 6:9; Colossians 4:1), but does not outlaw slavery altogether. Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery.
What many fail to understand is that slavery in biblical times was very different from the slavery that was practiced in the past few centuries in many parts of the world. The slavery in the Bible was not based exclusively on race. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was more a matter of social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their families. In New Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, and even politicians were slaves of someone else. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to have all their needs provided for by their masters.
Oh, well, that makes it OK!
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90526 May 25, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, well, that makes it OK!
If you watch Masterpiece Classic, Downton Abbey, you will see where people who live at the Mansion and work there, their needs are completely provided for.

It is exactly the in biblical times. Many people WANTED to volunteer to be slaves for wealthy people back then, to have their needs meet.

Level 3

Location hidden

#90527 May 26, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you watch Masterpiece Classic, Downton Abbey, you will see where people who live at the Mansion and work there, their needs are completely provided for.
It is exactly the in biblical times. Many people WANTED to volunteer to be slaves for wealthy people back then, to have their needs meet.
Holy sweet lord, that was funny.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#90528 May 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical arrogance of an atheist.
You're saying Newton was a moron?
he did believe in magic, so believing in the bible is not that far a step to take,is it?

most people believed in the bible in his society back then. if you professed not to, you would have been ostracized or killed. nice cult ya got there....

so did he really believe in the bible or was he just saying that like everyone HAD to? how would you know?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#90529 May 26, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Great joke lol, you pulled a good one here. Thanks for the laugh.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#90530 May 26, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
possibly the most ignorant statement of the week!

you do realize you are stumping FOR slavery just to support your cult, don't you? you really need to take a step back and look at what being in this cult has done to your morals...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#90531 May 26, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the old "She wanted to be raped" defense.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90532 May 26, 2013
When people of the biblical times could only work for scraps of food, or worse, not find any paying work at all, never being able to ever possibly rent a home (definitely not own one), this is what they did to survive, volunteered as slave (live in employees).

When people today need to 'make a living', they go to work for wealthy people.

Same thing.

Only difference is employees today don't sleep at their jobs, but they still spend most of their hours getting ready for work, driving to work, preparing for work, going to bed early for work, washing their uniforms for work,....and then there is the actual working hours... most of the hours of the week are dedicated to work.

“What U Don't Know U Fear”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

What U Fear U will Never Know

#90533 May 26, 2013
Yes back in biblical times people became slaves to survive. I don't know why people find that hard to believe for in a way it is still happening today.
Take your job for example, who ever you work for halfway control your life for you are doing the work for someone else and surviving off of what benefits(pay)you get from that by being able to get food, housing ect. Just like the people in the biblical days did it to get food, housing ect. It is like modern day slavery.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#90534 May 26, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
When people of the biblical times could only work for scraps of food, or worse, not find any paying work at all, never being able to ever possibly rent a home (definitely not own one), this is what they did to survive, volunteered as slave (live in employees).
When people today need to 'make a living', they go to work for wealthy people.
Same thing.
Only difference is employees today don't sleep at their jobs, but they still spend most of their hours getting ready for work, driving to work, preparing for work, going to bed early for work, washing their uniforms for work,....and then there is the actual working hours... most of the hours of the week are dedicated to work.
Uh-huh. The gospel of Koch as revealed to you by the good reverends Walker and Beck. Tea party idjit. No one volunteered to become eunuch slaves or have their children sold off and there is NO comparison between a standard 40 hour work week and abject servitude.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#90535 May 26, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>possibly the most ignorant statement of the week!
you do realize you are stumping FOR slavery just to support your cult, don't you? you really need to take a step back and look at what being in this cult has done to your morals...
Puffy Woody, what has your cult done to you? Blindness!
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90536 May 26, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Yes back in biblical times people became slaves to survive. I don't know why people find that hard to believe for in a way it is still happening today.
Take your job for example, who ever you work for halfway control your life for you are doing the work for someone else and surviving off of what benefits(pay)you get from that by being able to get food, housing ect. Just like the people in the biblical days did it to get food, housing ect. It is like modern day slavery.
Agreed. Today we have employee handbooks that should coincide with the federal labor laws. If an employee today treats employees badly, they get fined or imprisoned by the laws of the government.

Biblical times had God's Word to tell masters how to treat and pay slaves. God also warned the masters that however they treated the slaves badly, they would also be treated the same by the laws of God.

“Freedom and Liberty”

Level 1

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#90537 May 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Your charicatures only demonstrate the shallowness of your mind.
The greatest scientists in history were not atheists, but believed in God.
I NEVER believed in Santa Claus, and my parents never lied to me.
When are you going to stop believing in the evo-fairy and pixie dust?
Have you ever written anything that wasn't a lie?

Prov. 6:16 says, "there are 6 things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him" and the 19th verse says one of these is, "...a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers."

It is refreshing that the very book you advocate tells us that God hates what you are and what you do.

It just boggles the mind.

“Freedom and Liberty”

Level 1

Northern California

#90538 May 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Such a statement could only be concocted in the perverted mind of an atheist. I'm certain that you have never read the entire Bible.
When you can't deal wth the truth of a statement you try to kill the messenger; how typical of a delusional mind. Call me all the names you want it only helps destroy your dog and pony show.

You are as certain of my biblical knowledge as you are that the earth rests on pillars and has four cornes; the Bible says it is so, therefore it must be [for the delusional].

And if you think I am going to defend myself instead of posting more nonsense from the Bible you are wrong. I know all the little deceitful, deceptive and dishonest tricks you pew warming bigots play.

And everyone here can decide for themselves if my bibical knowledge is not superiour to yours. Not everyon here is as stupid as you were when your parents told them about Jesus and did not beleve everything they were told. Or perhaps at first but later investigated the claims and found them not to be true, just like they did with Santa Claus.

Your pathetic attempts to save your evil Bible are futile.

JESUS Matt. 26:11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
vs
JESUS Matt. 28:20 ...: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Is Jesus with us always or not?

“Freedom and Liberty”

Level 1

Northern California

#90539 May 26, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Say what?
You mean apart from archaeology, geology, medicine... things like that?
Where the heck were you educated?
You assume facts not in evidence,:) I have seen nothing that would indicate that HTS has been educated. Indoctrinated yes, educated, no. He is like a parrot who knows a few words and is able to deceive people into believing he is knowledgeable of the real world outside his church.

JESUS Matt. 26:11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
vs
JESUS Matt. 28:20 ...: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I want HTS to tell us if Jesus is with us always.

Level 3

Location hidden

#90540 May 26, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume facts not in evidence,:) I have seen nothing that would indicate that HTS has been educated. Indoctrinated yes, educated, no. He is like a parrot who knows a few words and is able to deceive people into believing he is knowledgeable of the real world outside his church.
vs
I want HTS to tell us if Jesus is with us always.
Schrodinger's Jesus!

“Freedom and Liberty”

Level 1

Northern California

#90541 May 26, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Woodtick, you don't know what my religion is, so you need to keep your blasphemous caricatures to yourself. It is obvious that you suffer from deep personal insecurities. Hence, your preoccupation with bashing the religon of others.
Blah blah blah, more deceptive dishonest deceitfulness. And we'll get to your preoccupation with attacking the messenger because you are too misinformed to deal with the message.

YOUR RELIGION DESEVRES TO BE BASHED!!!!

GOD SANCTIONS SLAVERY in direct contradiction to 2 Cor. 3:17, which says, "Where the spirit of the Lord is there is liberty." Key statements in this regard are the following:

•"Then thou shalt take an awl, and thrust it through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant (Read slave--Ed.) forever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise" (Deut. 15:17).
•"Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory, nor to pilfer, but to show entire and true fidelity, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God" (Titus 2:9).
•"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free" (Eph. 6:5-7).
•"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps" (1 Peter 2:18-21).
•"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence of the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving" (Col. 3:22-24).
•"All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered. Those who have believing masters are not to show less respect for them because they are brothers. Instead, they are to serve them even better, because those who benefit from their service are believers, and dear to them. These are the things you are to teach and urge on them" (1 Tim. 6:1-2).

“Freedom and Liberty”

Level 1

Northern California

#90542 May 26, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. Then why do christian parents of small children lock the kitchen cabinets and put poisons out of reach? I can only say one thing to them.
"Oh ye of little faith."
Because Christians like everyone do not believe what their Bible teaches. I do not believe the Bible and the pew warming invisible friends club members do not believe it either. No one can believe the Bible, if anyone did believe the Bible they would have sold their computer and given the money to the poor and would be following Jesus. Instead they are here causing dissension.

a true follower of Jesus would have to be extremely poor--as poor as the proverbial churchmouse. The Bible makes this quite clear:
•(a) "...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" (Luke 14:33);
•(b) "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" (Matt. 19:21);
•(c) "Sell your possessions and give alms" (Luke 12:33);
•(d) "But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" (Luke 11:41);
•(e) "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matt. 6:19-21);
•(f) "How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:23);
•(g) "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matt. 19:23-24);
•(h) A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" (Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21),
•and (i) Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)

It is fun to watch the mental gymnastics the pew warmers go through to justify refusing to obey all of the above. Yet they continue to insist the rest of us should obey the Bible. The word hypocrite comes to mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min wichita-rick 167,151
News J.C. Penney Employee Sent Home For Wearing 'Rev... 9 min TALLYHO 8541 29
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 24 min KNIGHT DeVINE 14,583
Let's See Some Poetry of All Types (Apr '12) 27 min KNIGHT DeVINE 63
News Shirtless man on scooter robs pizza driver 32 min Mega Monster 4
boycott american women (Nov '12) 44 min Mega Monster 8
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 45 min KNIGHT DeVINE 12,705
Is T O P I X slipping? 51 min KNIGHT DeVINE 23
Dedicate a song (Jul '08) 2 hr wichita-rick 16,028
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 hr Mega Monster 42,100