Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#90214 May 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I was merely refuting the statement, "No scientist goes around saying "evolution disproves god."
That is clearly not the case.
Which I actually agree with you on.
Science, including the Theory of Evolution makes NO claim on the viability -- or lack thereof -- for a Supreme Being.

Sorry Timn. HTS is correct on this one.

Which renders your previous post an opinion stated by one man.

OTHER men, with equal scientific credentials, make similarly compelling statements expressing THEIR opinion about THEIR belief in a Christian God.

Which means you WOULD agree that there are a great many pious Christians (and folks of other faiths) that *DO* reconcile the Theory of Evolution with their faith.

Right?
HTS

Williston, ND

#90215 May 22, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Which I actually agree with you on.
Science, including the Theory of Evolution makes NO claim on the viability -- or lack thereof -- for a Supreme Being.
Sorry Timn. HTS is correct on this one.
Which renders your previous post an opinion stated by one man.
OTHER men, with equal scientific credentials, make similarly compelling statements expressing THEIR opinion about THEIR belief in a Christian God.
Which means you WOULD agree that there are a great many pious Christians (and folks of other faiths) that *DO* reconcile the Theory of Evolution with their faith.
Right?
Yes, but in so doing they are effectively denying either one of two things:

1. If they believe that only mutations and natural selection account for all life, they are denying that God directed the creation.
2. If they believe that God directed the transmutation of species, then they deny the proposed mechanisms of evolution as sufficient to explain life.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#90216 May 22, 2013
[QUOTE who="KJV
"]<quoted text>
Weird!
You talk about sheep herders and leave off the wise men who left their rich palaces to ride for months or even years on camels to worship God.
Not slanted at all. NOT.
You're a failure.[/QUOTE]

YOU talk about slanted? ROFL!!! Failure? I'll bet you even think the entire globe was flooded 4,500 years ago.
You jumped a few thousand years between Genesis day one and year one AD. The Magi are absolutely irrelevant, Failure. I said creation mythS are weird - plural, not just the Abrahamic one.
BTW, humans domesticated sheep 10,000 years ago and we are still herding them - and still on the same obscure ball of mud, except now we have quads and dirt bikes.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#90217 May 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I think, therefore I AM. I was replying to someone else.
Descartes did, but do you?
Is there any shred of evidence outside of the Bible for a flood that submerged the mountains under the entire heavens? Nope. Is there any shred of evidence in the diversification of the biosphere that indicates a global genetic bottleneck within the history of man? Nope. Is there any shred of evidence that all of mankind except for 4 related couples was eliminated 4,300+/- years ago? Nope.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90218 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so you're just one of those insane conspiracy nuts who are also christian. More than gullible, in other words, you just want to make it all up yourself.
I am not a Christian. Christianity is idolatry and the purest form of Satan worship. Thru Jesus, Satan is worshipped as God, and that's all Satan (Adam) ever wanted. And you could say I do make things up. Most of my doctrine and theology is original, nobody has taught me. I am the author of the OT which is all made up and has a source and beginning. It's called creativity.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#90219 May 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I am not a Christian. Christianity is idolatry and the purest form of Satan worship. Thru Jesus, Satan is worshipped as God, and that's all Satan (Adam) ever wanted. And you could say I do make things up. Most of my doctrine and theology is original, nobody has taught me. I am the author of the OT which is all made up and has a source and beginning. It's called creativity.

You know... Jim Jones did the same thing!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90220 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Descartes did, but do you?
Is there any shred of evidence outside of the Bible for a flood that submerged the mountains under the entire heavens? Nope. Is there any shred of evidence in the diversification of the biosphere that indicates a global genetic bottleneck within the history of man? Nope. Is there any shred of evidence that all of mankind except for 4 related couples was eliminated 4,300+/- years ago? Nope.
You're wrong and you know it, you're trying to deceive. I suggest you re evaluate your sources and try to tell the truth. It's really not that hard. Have you never heard that they found the ark exactly where the bible said it is, Mount Ararat?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90221 May 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You know... Jim Jones did the same thing!
Jim Jones was a deranged, delusional, lunatic. He murdered a lot of innocent people. There have been a lot of Messiah wannabes, I can't figure out what draws people to them, the real Messiah is a woman but is not interested in starting a cult. She did that thousands of years ago with the family of Abraham. But the Messiah is a "voice crying in the wilderness" and is travailing in childbirth.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#90222 May 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You're wrong and you know it, you're trying to deceive. I suggest you re evaluate your sources and try to tell the truth. It's really not that hard. Have you never heard that they found the ark exactly where the bible said it is, Mount Ararat?
Right...
Meanwhile, there is fact and CONCLUSIVE evidence. Cities that have been continuously occupied, no complete collapse of the oxygen producing flora, consistent genetic diversity among every species (including man), tree ring data, complete lack of sedimentary evidence and salt water intrusions, deserts that have not seen significant rainfall in thousands of years - the lists go on and on. I'm sorry lady, the truth is NOT my fault.

Level 8

Location hidden

#90223 May 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Jim Jones was a deranged, delusional, lunatic. He murdered a lot of innocent people. There have been a lot of Messiah wannabes, I can't figure out what draws people to them, the real Messiah is a woman but is not interested in starting a cult. She did that thousands of years ago with the family of Abraham. But the Messiah is a "voice crying in the wilderness" and is travailing in childbirth.

She's back and is going to beat them up.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90224 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Right...
Meanwhile, there is fact and CONCLUSIVE evidence. Cities that have been continuously occupied, no complete collapse of the oxygen producing flora, consistent genetic diversity among every species (including man), tree ring data, complete lack of sedimentary evidence and salt water intrusions, deserts that have not seen significant rainfall in thousands of years - the lists go on and on. I'm sorry lady, the truth is NOT my fault.
Just so we're on the same page, you know I don't believe the flood was worldwide, it was a vast but local flood and it's purpose was to kill mankind. People were confined to the middle east and fertile crescent.

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#90225 May 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no concept of science to make such an asinine statement. It is "clear and compelling" that all proposed mechanisms of evolution are biologically impossible.
Is that so? Explain how evolution is "biologically impossible."

I'm secretly hoping that you bring up the 2nd law. Even though it's exasperating, depressing, and obnoxious - it does make for some funny conversation.

Orlando

#90226 May 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but in so doing they are effectively denying either one of two things:
1. If they believe that only mutations and natural selection account for all life, they are denying that God directed the creation.
2. If they believe that God directed the transmutation of species, then they deny the proposed mechanisms of evolution as sufficient to explain life.
You left out:

1. They believe that the principles of science we know as biochemistry can account for all life, and they propose that God directed the creation.

2. They believe that God directed the transmutation of species, and conclude those proposed mechanisms of evolution as sufficient to explain the diversity of life.

The term is "THEISTIC EVOLUTION".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evoluti...

The term was used by National Center for Science Education executive director Eugenie Scott to refer to the part of the overall spectrum of beliefs about creation and evolution holding the theological view that God creates through evolution. It covers a wide range of beliefs about the extent of any intervention by God, with some approaching deism in rejecting continued intervention. Others see intervention at critical intervals in history in a way consistent with scientific explanations of speciation, but with similarities to the ideas of Progressive Creationism that God created "kinds" of animals sequentially.

Acceptance [edit]

This view is generally accepted by major Christian churches, including the Catholic Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Episcopal Church USA, and some other mainline Protestant denominations; virtually all Jewish denominations; and other religious groups that lack a literalist stance concerning some holy scriptures. Various biblical literalists have accepted or noted openness to this stance, including theologian B.B. Warfield and evangelist Billy Graham.

With this approach toward evolution, scriptural creation stories are typically interpreted as being allegorical in nature. Both Jews and Christians have considered the idea of the creation history as an allegory (instead of a historical description) long before the development of Darwin's theory. An example in Christianity would be the earlier writings by St. Augustine (4th century), though he later rejected allegory in favor of literal interpretation. By this Augustine meant that in Genesis 1 the terms "light", "day", and "morning" hold a spiritual, rather than physical, meaning, and that this spiritual morning is just as literal as physical morning. Augustine recognizes that the creation of a spiritual morning is as much a historical event as the creation of physical light.[In later work, Augustine said that "there are some who think that only the world was made by God and that everything else is made by the world according to his ordination and command, but that God Himself makes nothing".] Three noted Jewish examples are that of the writings of Philo of Alexandria (1st century), Maimonides (12th century) and Gersonides (13th century).

Theistic evolutionists argue that it is inappropriate to use Genesis as a scientific text, since it was written in a pre-scientific age and originally intended for religious instruction; as such, seemingly chronological aspects of the creation accounts should be thought of in terms of a literary framework. Theistic evolutionists may believe that creation is not literally a week long process but a process beginning in the time of Genesis and continuing through all of time, including today. This view affirms that God created the world and was the primary causation of our being, while scientific changes such as evolution are part of "creatio continua" or continuing creation which is still occurring in the never ending process of creation. This is one possible way of interpreting biblical scriptures, such as Genesis, that seem otherwise to be in opposition to scientific theories, such as evolution.

Orlando

#90227 May 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Just so we're on the same page, you know I don't believe the flood was worldwide, it was a vast but local flood and it's purpose was to kill mankind. People were confined to the middle east and fertile crescent.
By at least 15,000 years ago, human beings were in virtually every corner of the earth.

Your regional flood -- if it happened -- didn't wipe out humanity. Not even close.

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#90228 May 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Just so we're on the same page, you know I don't believe the flood was worldwide, it was a vast but local flood and it's purpose was to kill mankind. People were confined to the middle east and fertile crescent.
seriously? humans didn't even start in that area!

funny how your cult can get you to believe shit that isn't even close to true and is proven by the real world facts in front of you...

deep brainwashing.

Minnesota's North Coast

#90229 May 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
so what held the water in that regional area to the depth described in your cult book?

does being in a cult take away your ability to think things through?
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#90230 May 23, 2013
I believe the Bible gives us the true account of creation. God created all living things after their own kind in the day that he created the heavens and the earth. All life we see now is just a reproduction of former life from patterns of the same order. There is nothing new, it is just being reproduced and changes are already in each kinds makeup, if needs be to be fruitful.

Level 8

Location hidden

#90231 May 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I believe the Bible gives us the true account of creation. God created all living things after their own kind in the day that he created the heavens and the earth. All life we see now is just a reproduction of former life from patterns of the same order. There is nothing new, it is just being reproduced and changes are already in each kinds makeup, if needs be to be fruitful.
So, you believe in sky water.
What else is new?

Minnesota's North Coast

#90232 May 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
yet we know for a fact that the account in the bible is wrong. why do repeat this proven lie?
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#90233 May 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So, you believe in sky water.
What else is new?
You should be asking, what else is being renewed...:3)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lets Discuss Men (Dec '13) 3 min kevin 581
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 4 min dragoon70056 3,682
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 min Jennifer Renee 8,865
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 5 min revitup1984 27,144
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 6 min CJ Rocker 7,646
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 10 min Jeffrey 138,840
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 12 min 40ish 30,904
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 17 min Denny CranesPlace 38,540
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 38 min Wyle E Coyote 155,443
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 46 min Sublime 28,782
More from around the web