Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 209377 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Proud Member”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#90223 May 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Jim Jones was a deranged, delusional, lunatic. He murdered a lot of innocent people. There have been a lot of Messiah wannabes, I can't figure out what draws people to them, the real Messiah is a woman but is not interested in starting a cult. She did that thousands of years ago with the family of Abraham. But the Messiah is a "voice crying in the wilderness" and is travailing in childbirth.

She's back and is going to beat them up.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#90224 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Right...
Meanwhile, there is fact and CONCLUSIVE evidence. Cities that have been continuously occupied, no complete collapse of the oxygen producing flora, consistent genetic diversity among every species (including man), tree ring data, complete lack of sedimentary evidence and salt water intrusions, deserts that have not seen significant rainfall in thousands of years - the lists go on and on. I'm sorry lady, the truth is NOT my fault.
Just so we're on the same page, you know I don't believe the flood was worldwide, it was a vast but local flood and it's purpose was to kill mankind. People were confined to the middle east and fertile crescent.

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#90225 May 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no concept of science to make such an asinine statement. It is "clear and compelling" that all proposed mechanisms of evolution are biologically impossible.
Is that so? Explain how evolution is "biologically impossible."

I'm secretly hoping that you bring up the 2nd law. Even though it's exasperating, depressing, and obnoxious - it does make for some funny conversation.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#90226 May 23, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but in so doing they are effectively denying either one of two things:
1. If they believe that only mutations and natural selection account for all life, they are denying that God directed the creation.
2. If they believe that God directed the transmutation of species, then they deny the proposed mechanisms of evolution as sufficient to explain life.
You left out:

1. They believe that the principles of science we know as biochemistry can account for all life, and they propose that God directed the creation.

2. They believe that God directed the transmutation of species, and conclude those proposed mechanisms of evolution as sufficient to explain the diversity of life.

The term is "THEISTIC EVOLUTION".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evoluti...

The term was used by National Center for Science Education executive director Eugenie Scott to refer to the part of the overall spectrum of beliefs about creation and evolution holding the theological view that God creates through evolution. It covers a wide range of beliefs about the extent of any intervention by God, with some approaching deism in rejecting continued intervention. Others see intervention at critical intervals in history in a way consistent with scientific explanations of speciation, but with similarities to the ideas of Progressive Creationism that God created "kinds" of animals sequentially.

Acceptance [edit]

This view is generally accepted by major Christian churches, including the Catholic Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Episcopal Church USA, and some other mainline Protestant denominations; virtually all Jewish denominations; and other religious groups that lack a literalist stance concerning some holy scriptures. Various biblical literalists have accepted or noted openness to this stance, including theologian B.B. Warfield and evangelist Billy Graham.

With this approach toward evolution, scriptural creation stories are typically interpreted as being allegorical in nature. Both Jews and Christians have considered the idea of the creation history as an allegory (instead of a historical description) long before the development of Darwin's theory. An example in Christianity would be the earlier writings by St. Augustine (4th century), though he later rejected allegory in favor of literal interpretation. By this Augustine meant that in Genesis 1 the terms "light", "day", and "morning" hold a spiritual, rather than physical, meaning, and that this spiritual morning is just as literal as physical morning. Augustine recognizes that the creation of a spiritual morning is as much a historical event as the creation of physical light.[In later work, Augustine said that "there are some who think that only the world was made by God and that everything else is made by the world according to his ordination and command, but that God Himself makes nothing".] Three noted Jewish examples are that of the writings of Philo of Alexandria (1st century), Maimonides (12th century) and Gersonides (13th century).

Theistic evolutionists argue that it is inappropriate to use Genesis as a scientific text, since it was written in a pre-scientific age and originally intended for religious instruction; as such, seemingly chronological aspects of the creation accounts should be thought of in terms of a literary framework. Theistic evolutionists may believe that creation is not literally a week long process but a process beginning in the time of Genesis and continuing through all of time, including today. This view affirms that God created the world and was the primary causation of our being, while scientific changes such as evolution are part of "creatio continua" or continuing creation which is still occurring in the never ending process of creation. This is one possible way of interpreting biblical scriptures, such as Genesis, that seem otherwise to be in opposition to scientific theories, such as evolution.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#90227 May 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Just so we're on the same page, you know I don't believe the flood was worldwide, it was a vast but local flood and it's purpose was to kill mankind. People were confined to the middle east and fertile crescent.
By at least 15,000 years ago, human beings were in virtually every corner of the earth.

Your regional flood -- if it happened -- didn't wipe out humanity. Not even close.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#90228 May 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Just so we're on the same page, you know I don't believe the flood was worldwide, it was a vast but local flood and it's purpose was to kill mankind. People were confined to the middle east and fertile crescent.
seriously? humans didn't even start in that area!

funny how your cult can get you to believe shit that isn't even close to true and is proven by the real world facts in front of you...

deep brainwashing.

St. Croix valley

#90229 May 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
so what held the water in that regional area to the depth described in your cult book?

does being in a cult take away your ability to think things through?
FREE SERVANT
#90230 May 23, 2013
I believe the Bible gives us the true account of creation. God created all living things after their own kind in the day that he created the heavens and the earth. All life we see now is just a reproduction of former life from patterns of the same order. There is nothing new, it is just being reproduced and changes are already in each kinds makeup, if needs be to be fruitful.

“Proud Member”

Level 8

#90231 May 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I believe the Bible gives us the true account of creation. God created all living things after their own kind in the day that he created the heavens and the earth. All life we see now is just a reproduction of former life from patterns of the same order. There is nothing new, it is just being reproduced and changes are already in each kinds makeup, if needs be to be fruitful.
So, you believe in sky water.
What else is new?

St. Croix valley

#90232 May 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
yet we know for a fact that the account in the bible is wrong. why do repeat this proven lie?
FREE SERVANT
#90233 May 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So, you believe in sky water.
What else is new?
You should be asking, what else is being renewed...:3)
FREE SERVANT
#90234 May 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So, you believe in sky water.
What else is new?
What is being RENEWED
FREE SERVANT
#90235 May 23, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet we know for a fact that the account in the bible is wrong. why do repeat this proven lie?
WRONG again

“Proud Member”

Level 8

#90236 May 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>What is being RENEWED
It sure isn't sky water above the vault.
FREE SERVANT
#90237 May 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> It sure isn't sky water above the vault.
How do you know the earth wasn't formed from water covered by a dome, like the Bible says?
Libertarian

London, UK

#90238 May 23, 2013
Considering our modern medical knowledge is based on the very same evidence as evolution then next time you are ill or injured then you shouldn't be using our 'anti-theist' doctors.

You should be taken to the nearest house of worship of your choice (if you're conscious) and prayed over.

As it was promised in the Bible that if God is in your heart you will get EVERYTHING you pray for you'll be fine. Although I would then question why you obviously haven't been praying for world peace etc.

Pray over a broken leg, see what happens.

I dont think my belief in evolution and science shouldnt be imposed on others so I would have to carefully consider whether to even phone an ambulance for someone who believes in a god rather than science. If their god exists he will help them.

“Proud Member”

Level 8

#90239 May 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know the earth wasn't formed from water covered by a dome, like the Bible says?
Haven't you heard? Has no one told you ?
The Flat Earth idea went out before the equal rights movement.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#90240 May 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think the death of mankind was irrelevant.
Me neither. Luckily it hasn't happened yet.
susanblange wrote:
God was recreating the earth and the human life contained in it. The flood story is a universal one
No, it was a local event. If we give benefit of the doubt then it was a large flood caused by the melting ice caps at the end of the last ice age. So large and destructive to any who witnessed it they assumed it was worldwide. Then they wrote stories about it.
susanblange wrote:
and we can all trace our ancestors back to the three sons of Noah.
No we cannot. Since humans had already populated the Earth by that point, leaving many WELL outside the flood zone. Genetics, archaeology, geology and physics all contradict your assertion. If the flood was global then not even Noah survived.

Now you will say that the invisible magic Jew wizard is not restricted by evidence and can get around any and all problems with magic. And that may be. But that prevents you from claiming that your BS is scientific.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#90241 May 23, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can only see thru your physical eyes, where Christians have 360 degree spiritual vision....something you cannot understand...today.
I do understand. What you are saying is that you have no evidence and you have to make up excuses. I can make up tons of BS about UFOs and space aliens and it would be every bit as valid. More so in fact, since technically speaking aliens are potentially falsifiable and verifiable, thus making them scientific.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#90242 May 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>This is real Dude. Repent and invite Jesus into your heart and life and you can have a home that will last forever on an Earth that is much better than this one. Just believe Jesus and he can forgive even you. Think about it please.
Still don't care Mikey.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 min Sharlene45 5,004
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 2 min Old Sam 4,103
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 3 min Old Sam 14,489
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 4 min Old Sam 12,167
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 6 min Old Sam 2,846
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 8 min Old Sam 16,513
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 8 min wichita-rick 4,222
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 13 min Princess Hey 348
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 16 min beatlesinthebog 147,144
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 19 min beatlesinthebog 9,071