Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 172002 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#89807 May 20, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No-one killed Jesus. You cannot kill an immortal God.
The whole sacrifice was a sham.
If the crucifixion was a sham, all of christianity falls apart. Christian theology is predicated on it and everything that wasn't fulfilled was nailed to the cross.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#89808 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>If the crucifixion was a sham, all of christianity falls apart. Christian theology is predicated on it and everything that wasn't fulfilled was nailed to the cross.
Do you prefer Romeros or Cohibas?
KJV

United States

#89809 May 20, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>No-one killed Jesus. You cannot kill an immortal God.

The whole sacrifice was a sham.
You don't know the Bible very well.
HTS

Williston, ND

#89810 May 20, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I think infanticide is wicked. You and your god think it is "good". I do not worry about what you think of me, just as I'm sure you don't worry about what I think of you. All I'm saying is that it might not be a good idea to pronounce your feelings on the matter too loudly in public. I could pretty much guarantee you that the men in white coats would come for you a lot quicker than they would for me...
Dude, your worldview does not provide you with any foundation of ethics, so don't pretend to have any moral values. According to you all humans are robots, incapable of self determination. Why do you even bother to post your opinion, when ultimately you believe that you are the descendent of a microbe and that no real purpose in life exists? To quite your beloved high priest, Dick Dawkins...

"What are all of us but self-reproducing robots? We have been put together by our genes and what we do is roam the world looking for a way to sustain ourselves and ultimately produce another robot child."*

*The God Delusion, 2006

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#89812 May 20, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, your worldview does not provide you with any foundation of ethics, so don't pretend to have any moral values. According to you all humans are robots, incapable of self determination. Why do you even bother to post your opinion, when ultimately you believe that you are the descendent of a microbe and that no real purpose in life exists? To quite your beloved high priest, Dick Dawkins...
"What are all of us but self-reproducing robots? We have been put together by our genes and what we do is roam the world looking for a way to sustain ourselves and ultimately produce another robot child."*
*The God Delusion, 2006
Where do you get your ethics from? Is it right to pay a father a fee and marry his daughter after you raped her? According to Jesus that is the right thing to do.

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#89813 May 21, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>A generation is 40 years and Christians have to twist what Jesus said to make it plausible. This just proves the NT to be a fraud. The reason he said this is because of Psalm 22:30 "...it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation" This is one of the prophecies that Christians apply to the crucifixion of Jesus.
You are either a poe or mentally ill.

Level 3

Location hidden

#89814 May 21, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've watched the first video, but how are you to know that this guy making the video wasn't using the large amount of Evo money to lie about Expelled?
and how can you say that its not about the money.....it ALWAYS leads to the money!
Also, these people were crushed by the institutions that must keep the Evo theory alive...or they lose everything.
and how can you say who is right or wrong when we haven't been given a chance...YET.
Sigh.

Level 3

Location hidden

#89815 May 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually she correctly pointed out that Jesus already came back at the appointed time. Which was about 2,000 years ago.
Fundies have kept on with the myth that "He could come back any day now!" because without that threat the Churches would lose their power over everyone.
Perhaps I misunderstood here but this:

"Isaiah 19 is a prophecy about Egypt that is being fulfilled right now and the coming of the Messiah is apparently imminent. Jesus never rose from the dead, that is a fantasy and a lie. If Jesus did rise from the dead, the resurrection is past. He's damned if he did, and damned if he didn't."

certainly seemed to be implying that he would be returning soon based on prophecy. I'm not sure though, maybe that bit at the end about it being a "fantasy" is where she denies the prophecy, but I thought she meant that the "original" Resurrection was a fantasy.

You are right thought, the "any day now" logic is probably a big reason the church has remained in power. People have it drilled into their head that jesus may choose to come back just when they are having that fleeting moment of doubt, and straight to hell they go. I remember a terrifying christmas play I went to with a childhood friend: they showed several skits, and in each one a friend/family member would be expressing doubt to someone, only for all of them to die suddenly in an accident. Then they would appear at the gates of heaven, only for the "doubter" to be dragged down to hell in full view of his family, who of course gleefully jump up the stairs to jesus... quickly forgetting about their poor friend. Truly a scary thing to expose children to.

Level 3

Location hidden

#89816 May 21, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever done extensive research to prove it to be false?
Yep. Or are you being absurd and asking me if I've actually taken part in the research?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#89817 May 21, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>"To be great is to be misunderstood". You definitely misunderstand the living God of Israel.
Actually every other fundie on the planet could say the same about you. And so could I. And EVERY claim would be just as valid as everyone else's. The simple fact of the matter is that you don't know any more about God than anyone else does, period. You are not the world's greatest Biblical scholar, you're not His personally appointed mouthpiece, He does not love you best, you don't have any more special access to special knowledge that nobody else does, you're no more special than anyone else. You're just yet another fundie with a monumentally massive ego who thinks they're better than everyone else.(apologies to Lenny)

You are NOT that important. At all.

Which is why you'll note that I did not and will never claim to know more about "THE God", since no-one on the entire planet can even demonstrate that such a thing even exists. I don't HAVE to worry about misunderstanding God because any potential misunderstanding is EXACTLY the same as everyone else's.

You on the other hand are pretty easy to understand. You're just another nut amongst a cacophony of nuts that we deal with on here every day. I have serious doubts you will even ever become as noticable as Ellen White, and she is only famous for being a nut.(shrug)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#89818 May 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
*The God Delusion, 2006
morals have absolutely nothing to do with religious cult faith at all.
in fact, most atheists and non-believers are far more moral that people of faith. no surprise, considering the shit heap the bible is for moral guidance...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#89819 May 21, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>If the crucifixion was a sham, all of christianity falls apart. Christian theology is predicated on it and everything that wasn't fulfilled was nailed to the cross.
See, there is at least a glimmer of neurons firing in that noggin of yours when you try.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#89820 May 21, 2013
Christian charities are the most giving people in the world in times of trouble and that is a fact.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#89821 May 21, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You don't know the Bible very well.
(yawn)
HTS wrote:
Dude, your worldview does not provide you with any foundation of ethics
Of course it does. You're just too dumb to figure it out.(shrug)
HTS wrote:
so don't pretend to have any moral values.
Don't need to pretend.
HTS wrote:
According to you all humans are robots, incapable of self determination.
No, that is what you believe based on your misunderstandings of non-fundies.
HTS wrote:
Why do you even bother to post your opinion, when ultimately you believe that you are the descendent of a microbe and that no real purpose in life exists?
To pish you off.
HTS wrote:
To quite your beloved high priest, Dick Dawkins
Sorry bub, but Dawkin's philosophical opinions are not relevant to me. It's you fundies who are obsessed with the guy, not us. To us he's merely one scientist among many. To you he's the anti-Christ, complete with horns and a pitchfork. I may share some of his opinions, I may not share others. It doesn't matter. But I don't get all of my opinions from him just because I may share a few. It's YOUR job to follow priests because you're religious. That's not our job because we simply do not think like you. Correction - we think, you don't. That is why fundies are COMPLETELY incapable of ethics because they have no concept of the word.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#89822 May 21, 2013
Whoops, forgot to correct that first quote tag above, that first response was to KJV/Lincoln.

St. Croix valley

#89823 May 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
See, there is at least a glimmer of neurons firing in that noggin of yours when you try.
think she understands the same thing happens when her old testament is proved to be a lie?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#89824 May 21, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps I misunderstood here but this:
"Isaiah 19 is a prophecy about Egypt that is being fulfilled right now and the coming of the Messiah is apparently imminent. Jesus never rose from the dead, that is a fantasy and a lie. If Jesus did rise from the dead, the resurrection is past. He's damned if he did, and damned if he didn't."
certainly seemed to be implying that he would be returning soon based on prophecy. I'm not sure though, maybe that bit at the end about it being a "fantasy" is where she denies the prophecy, but I thought she meant that the "original" Resurrection was a fantasy.
It can be difficult to tell as, if not a Poe, she's not playing with a full sack. But from what I gather she was just arguing within their Bible, the NT (which she rejects) whereby Jesus' promised return already happened with the Easter resurrection. But since she doesn't believe that anyway, she believes in the OT and has further built her own theology around that, whereby a new Jesus will come along who actually serves Satan and that she is some sort of Messianic Prophet who God thinks is special enough to provide her with the details of the Drive a Volkswagen Day apocalypse which will occur "sometime" between 2013-2015.
timn17 wrote:
You are right thought, the "any day now" logic is probably a big reason the church has remained in power. People have it drilled into their head that jesus may choose to come back just when they are having that fleeting moment of doubt, and straight to hell they go. I remember a terrifying christmas play I went to with a childhood friend: they showed several skits, and in each one a friend/family member would be expressing doubt to someone, only for all of them to die suddenly in an accident. Then they would appear at the gates of heaven, only for the "doubter" to be dragged down to hell in full view of his family, who of course gleefully jump up the stairs to jesus... quickly forgetting about their poor friend. Truly a scary thing to expose children to.
Indeed. Sounds like the beginnings of Jesus Camp, which is nothing short of psychological abuse if subjected to minors. Good demonstration of how twisted religous fundamentalism is.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#89825 May 21, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>think she understands the same thing happens when her old testament is proved to be a lie?
Most fundies do. So they build a psychologcal wall. It's called cognitive dissonance.

St. Croix valley

#89826 May 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Most fundies do. So they build a psychologcal wall. It's called cognitive dissonance.
is it curable?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#89827 May 21, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Christian charities are the most giving people in the world in times of trouble and that is a fact.
Of course you're neglecting to point out that they rely on contributions from ANY and all sources.

Now I'm sure that some Christians get involved with charity work out of the goodness of their own hearts, however the fundamentalist attitude is to do it only because God sez so. The only motivation that's important is avoiding eternal torture and attaining eternal paradise. Charity doesn't even enter into it.(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 5 min Jennifer Renee 12,759
I Like..... (Mar '14) 11 min UnderstandPeople 1,260
Netapp NS0-157 actual test dumps 13 min howard 1
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 17 min UnderstandPeople 29,528
*Classical music Thread* 18 min wichita-rick 60
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 21 min CJ Rocker 167,306
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 34 min Brandiiiiiiii 25,734
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) 57 min Brick 202
Dedicate a song (Jul '08) 1 hr Mister_ E 16,065
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 2 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 9,360
More from around the web