Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222920 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

FREE SERVANT
#89749 May 20, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Paul wrote to Timothy that THE LOVE OF $(not $ itself) is the root of all evil. Come to think of it upon examination a good ole greenback is THE motivating factor of wrong doing in order to acquire it. If one's love of $ is first thing on their mind that is idolotry.
Thank you for these true words and we as Christians should not put anything in our life at the top above our lord, May God Bless you.

Level 1

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#89750 May 20, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Jesus didn't want his followers to call other people empty headed or crazy and if we hate someone and call them a fool, we really are in danger of not knowing the real Jesus and then we are in danger.
GOD's version: "But I say unto you... whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire," MATT. 5:22.

FreeServant's version: "But I say unto you... whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of not knowing the real Jesus," "MATT 5:22.

Christ-insanity is so simple, if you don't like what the verse actually says, just subtract a few words and make up a few new ones to add back in. This way the Bible always says what you wish it said and you can always claim perfect harmony with BibleGod.

Proverbs 30:6 "Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."

Level 1

Location hidden

#89751 May 20, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for these true words and we as Christians should not put anything in our life at the top above our lord, May God Bless you.
YOU are NOT a Christian, there is no such thing. Why? Because you and your fellow pew warmers give the finger to the BibleGod everytime you refuse to do what you are supposed to do.

It's much easier, and far less painful, to rationalize away clear-cut statements than surrender great wealth because of Biblical injunctions. Paul said, "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (1 Tim. 6:8). The lavish personal wealth of these men and many others bears witness to their avoidance of these teachings, as well as Luke 3:11, which says, "who has two coats, let him share with him who has none; and he who has food, let him do like-wise." One can only speculate as to the number of coats you have in your closets. Jesus said, "Give to him who asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" (Matt. 5:42).

It's not enough to avoid the accumulation of wealth; one must actively seek to eliminate whatever property may come into one's possession.

The Bible makes this quite clear:
•(a) "...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" (Luke 14:33);
•(b) "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" (Matt. 19:21);
•(c) "Sell your possessions and give alms" (Luke 12:33);
•(d) "But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" (Luke 11:41);
•(e) "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matt. 6:19-21);
•(f) "How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:23);
•(g) "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matt. 19:23-24);
•(h) A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" (Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21),
•and (i) Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)
FREE SERVANT
#89752 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
GOD's version: "But I say unto you... whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire," MATT. 5:22.
FreeServant's version: "But I say unto you... whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of not knowing the real Jesus," "MATT 5:22.
Christ-insanity is so simple, if you don't like what the verse actually says, just subtract a few words and make up a few new ones to add back in. This way the Bible always says what you wish it said and you can always claim perfect harmony with BibleGod.
Proverbs 30:6 "Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."
I wasn't quoting the exact scripture as it was written, I was just giving my comment as to my understanding of the meaning.

“Robert Stevens”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#89753 May 20, 2013
A majority of Americans believe in creationism and evolution. You yahoos could continue you debates, conversations,, etc. It will not change what is common sense. Remember you do know yourself as does everyone else knows themselves. In life is is a case by case circumstance. Meaning for some there is no God or soul existence in their life, but others do have it.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#89754 May 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you deny the parts that will get you tossed in jail. Makes no difference, you support a book that says to stone them.
Please cite book, chapter, and verse KK. I'm not familiar with it. Also, I totally reject the NT as in any way remotely inspired by God. Please stick to the OT, OKJV.
FREE SERVANT
#89756 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU are NOT a Christian, there is no such thing. Why? Because you and your fellow pew warmers give the finger to the BibleGod everytime you refuse to do what you are supposed to do.
It's much easier, and far less painful, to rationalize away clear-cut statements than surrender great wealth because of Biblical injunctions. Paul said, "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (1 Tim. 6:8). The lavish personal wealth of these men and many others bears witness to their avoidance of these teachings, as well as Luke 3:11, which says, "who has two coats, let him share with him who has none; and he who has food, let him do like-wise." One can only speculate as to the number of coats you have in your closets. Jesus said, "Give to him who asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" (Matt. 5:42).
It's not enough to avoid the accumulation of wealth; one must actively seek to eliminate whatever property may come into one's possession.
The Bible makes this quite clear:
&#8226;(a) "...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" (Luke 14:33);
&#8226;(b) "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" (Matt. 19:21);
&#8226;(c) "Sell your possessions and give alms" (Luke 12:33);
&#8226;(d) "But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" (Luke 11:41);
&#8226;(e) "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matt. 6:19-21);
&#8226;(f) "How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:23);
&#8226;(g) "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matt. 19:23-24);
&#8226;(h) A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" (Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21),
&#8226;and (i) Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)
I do give to the poor that ask me.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#89757 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Please cite book, chapter, and verse KK. I'm not familiar with it. Also, I totally reject the NT as in any way remotely inspired by God. Please stick to the OT, OKJV.
So again, you pick and choose AND you have not even read it.

He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.-- Exodus 21:15

He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.-- Exodus 21:17

Level 1

Location hidden

#89758 May 20, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I wasn't quoting the exact scripture as it was written, I was just giving my comment as to my understanding of the meaning.
How can you misunderstand something so simple, and tell others it is so?

JESUS: "But I say unto you... whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire," MATT. 5:22.

FreeServant's version: "But I say unto you... whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of not knowing the real Jesus," MATT. 5:22.

Your apologetic rant is typical of what you apologists do.

People suffer from believing just any old tale told to them which explains why most everyone is totally ignorant of what is actually in the Bible, if you really knew what was written on its pages you would have nothing to do with it. People believe what other's tell them instead of readig the God damned thing themselves.

Level 1

Location hidden

#89759 May 20, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I do give to the poor that ask me.
Dear Free Servant, please sell all that you own and give the money to me. Send it General Delivery Glen Ellen California, a check will do just fine.

Level 1

Location hidden

#89760 May 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
A majority of Americans believe in creationism and evolution. You yahoos could continue you debates, conversations,, etc. It will not change what is common sense. Remember you do know yourself as does everyone else knows themselves. In life is is a case by case circumstance. Meaning for some there is no God or soul existence in their life, but others do have it.
Common sense is to not believe just any old tale told to you. Yet, that is all anyone has in the way of "proof" for the existence of this God so many alledge to exist. It is called hearsay, someone told you there was a god and you believed them. That is all there is, all the rest is nothing more than a dog and pony show.

Level 1

Location hidden

#89761 May 20, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>I do give to the poor that ask me.
Here AGAIN you are changing Scripture!

Jesus: "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" (Matt. 19:21);

You change the words of Jesus to this:

Free Servant: "If you want to be perfect give to the poor who ask of you, and you will have riches in heaven" (Matt. 19:21);

You like everyone else upon the whole entire earth do not take Scripture seriously. How can you? It is impossible to follow the Bible what from all the contradictions.

How anyone can trust anything you write is beyond me.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#89762 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense is to not believe just any old tale told to you. Yet, that is all anyone has in the way of "proof" for the existence of this God so many alledge to exist. It is called hearsay, someone told you there was a god and you believed them. That is all there is, all the rest is nothing more than a dog and pony show.
Not entirely accurate. Common sense tells you there is a monster under the bed. Common sense tells you that lightning is magic. Common sense tells you that humans can't fly. Common sense tells you that you cannot get to the Moon. Common sense is wrong, a lot, it's not a good guide to live by because it tells you to believe in just any old tale. That is why we developed things like the scientific method, to correct the mistakes common sense tells us.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#89763 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Honor your father and your mother. Children can be disciplined for breaking this commandment but they were not stoned. It teaches a healthy respect for authority. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". By following these axioms, you're saving your childs life which you will want to do if you truly love them.
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#89764 May 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So again, you pick and choose AND you have not even read it.
He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.-- Exodus 21:15
He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.-- Exodus 21:17
OK. You're talking about children as if they're all the same. They also come in wicked and righteous. A child or more appropriately teenager that does this is wicked if their parents are law abiding but there are exceptions to every rule. This person does not respect the authority of their parents and will grow up to be a criminal. If Israel does not follow Torah, it will be passed on from generation to generation. Exodus 20:5.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#89765 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>OK. You're talking about children as if they're all the same. They also come in wicked and righteous. A child or more appropriately teenager that does this is wicked if their parents are law abiding but there are exceptions to every rule. This person does not respect the authority of their parents and will grow up to be a criminal. If Israel does not follow Torah, it will be passed on from generation to generation. Exodus 20:5.
You are justifying killing innocent children, end of story, you are a sick person who is a danger to the species and society.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#89766 May 20, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
One characteristic that distinguishes many Christian charities is the guarantee that they will obey Jesus and show love for their fellow man.
That is no guarantee, and expecting the ultimate eternal reward for charity is the antithesis of selflessness.
What of the many good works by agnostics and atheists who expect no such recognition by "God?" Does one have to be a Christian to become a fireman, teacher, defense attorney or nurse? I hope not, because I've known some miserable religious folk in those professions.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#89767 May 20, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for these true words and we as Christians should not put anything in our life at the top above our lord, May God Bless you.
Thank you for your kind words. God bless you also!
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#89768 May 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not entirely accurate. Common sense tells you there is a monster under the bed. Common sense tells you that lightning is magic. Common sense tells you that humans can't fly. Common sense tells you that you cannot get to the Moon. Common sense is wrong, a lot, it's not a good guide to live by because it tells you to believe in just any old tale. That is why we developed things like the scientific method, to correct the mistakes common sense tells us.
According to scientists and engineers a bee should not(according to physics)be able to fly.But they do.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#89769 May 20, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>According to scientists and engineers a bee should not(according to physics)be able to fly.But they do.
'Old wives tale':
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1076...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's one thing you appreciate in your life? 5 min andet1987 544
* What makes me NERVOUS is...* (Oct '12) 14 min Suezanne 971
Play "end of the name"... (Jun '15) 14 min andet1987 3,030
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 17 min andet1987 38,586
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 23 min wichita-rick 224,399
Play "end of the word" (Nov '08) 24 min andet1987 26,909
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 25 min andet1987 6,231
News REVEALED: The number of people who would romp w... 1 hr Pope Closet Emeritus 16
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr poster 28,868
More from around the web