Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#89202 May 16, 2013
Jenji wrote:
First of all let me say that creationism does not run counter to natural selection. However, evolution DOES run counter to biological science! Any time you have a naturally occurring change in a genetic structure, it's called a 'mutation' and to this day mutations are never a positive thing. They result in D formations, diseases, and things like that. And besides that, when I stand on a mountaintop at sunset, just as God created me and watching the world around me shift from day to night as the place where I'm standing passes through the terminator line on the planet's surface, I see nothing but evidence of creation. Sorry, but I don't see things that used to be pond scum that somehow decided to become trees and the other millions of life forms before me!
As an (presumed) "adult", do you drink milk or consume other dairy products? Or are you lactose-intolerant?

The ability for adults to digest dairy products (from other species, mind you) is just ONE of a host of 'beneficial' mutations that most humans have today.

Appreciating nature, and ascribing the wonders therein to God is fine, but you should learn more about the mechanisms (described by science) as to HOW He did it -- at least to our best current knowledge.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#89203 May 16, 2013
Jenji wrote:
First of all let me say that creationism does not run counter to natural selection. However, evolution DOES run counter to biological science! Any time you have a naturally occurring change in a genetic structure, it's called a 'mutation' and to this day mutations are never a positive thing. They result in D formations, diseases, and things like that. And besides that, when I stand on a mountaintop at sunset, just as God created me and watching the world around me shift from day to night as the place where I'm standing passes through the terminator line on the planet's surface, I see nothing but evidence of creation. Sorry, but I don't see things that used to be pond scum that somehow decided to become trees and the other millions of life forms before me!
It is just speculation, but I would bet that your erroneous conclusion stems from the fact that negative mutations often result in diseases. These negative results are more prominent and make it seem like mutations just cause disease to the lay population. I would bet that you don't even think about things like the mutation that allows some of us to digest milk as adults or color vision in primates and many, many, many others. These things are mutations with benefits, but they don't make headlines like cancer does.

Level 9

Threats pending

#89204 May 16, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Nice post.
That you agree with this erroneous, sappy drivel says more about what you don't understand and don't know than what you think you do.

Level 9

Threats pending

#89205 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
As an (presumed) "adult", do you drink milk or consume other dairy products? Or are you lactose-intolerant?
The ability for adults to digest dairy products (from other species, mind you) is just ONE of a host of 'beneficial' mutations that most humans have today.
Appreciating nature, and ascribing the wonders therein to God is fine, but you should learn more about the mechanisms (described by science) as to HOW He did it -- at least to our best current knowledge.
Kong are you reading my mind? I hope not. There are some pages within.
HTS

Williston, ND

#89206 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence do you have that the capacity to digest lactose resulted from a mutation? Do you have access to human DNA from thousands of years ago?

Orlando

#89207 May 16, 2013
Jenji wrote:
BTW....."D formations"?

REALLY?!?!
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#89208 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
The mechanisms that produce change in any system are a sequence or function that tends to move between extremes and balance or equilibrium is the product. Every system will oscillate and a stimulus drives change.

Orlando

#89209 May 16, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Kong are you reading my mind? I hope not. There are some pages within.
"Great minds"....yadda, yadda, yadda...

Orlando

#89210 May 16, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence do you have that the capacity to digest lactose resulted from a mutation? Do you have access to human DNA from thousands of years ago?
Here's 45 seperate,individual scientific papers that address the mutation that determine lactose (in)tolerance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#89211 May 16, 2013
When a system cycles it is coming back on itself and an event or thing that evokes reaction may cause the system to urge forward to do something and cause change.
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#89212 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
FWIW, I am not a fan of the "Carbon Tax", either, and for the same reasons.
That does not discount the fact that Humans HAVE exacerbated the warming of this planet through our disrespect for the environment out of pure greed and overpopulation.
I only hope that humankind is as clever so as to figure a way out of this mess before it's too late.
I have no doubt human activity has caused some evnironmental problems,the sticking point to me is that ones want to make $$ on certain pretenses and not do anything to alieviate any environmental concerns. Yep this is our planet and we need to take care of it if we want it to take care of us.
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#89213 May 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>That would be "beaucoup".
In the Tennessean language it is boo koo,

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#89214 May 16, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Presumably because our other relatives cannot digest lactose.

And there are people who lack this ability. Not all adult humans can digest lactose. Without Google searching this is lack of a trait found more in Asian people if I recall correctly.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#89215 May 16, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>In the Tennessean language it is boo koo,
Tennessee has a separate language?

Try learning French. Or even English.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#89216 May 16, 2013
I think things in nature work a payment or concession to stimulate output or investment. WORK is the Whole Organizational Range of Kinds theory that explains some of this.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#89217 May 16, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>In the Tennessean language it is boo koo,
Oh, and FYI, it's pronounced "BO-koo".

Orlando

#89218 May 16, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, re" "Lacotose Intoerance": Have you heard about Ötzi, the 5300 year-old "Ice Mummy" they found in the Alps in 1991?

They *DID* extract some of his DNA, and guess what?

"Mutations to the iceman's MCM6 gene suggest he could not digest the lactose sugar in milk – unlike most modern Europeans. "Maybe at that time most people were still lactose-intolerant," says Zink. "The change to farming livestock [in Europe] only began between about 5000 and 10,000 years ago and so digesting milk became an advantage.""

He also had a better-than-average chance to develop heart disease.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21523-o...

So yes, we *DO* have DNA from ancient peoples (including Neanderthal -- who may also have been lactose intolerant).

The genetic mutations that cause lactose (in)tolerance is quite well known and documented, as well as the genes and mutations for a host of other benign and not-so-benign genetic conditions (see "Angelina Jolie"/brest cancer).

Orlando

#89219 May 16, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I think things in nature work a payment or concession to stimulate output or investment. WORK is the Whole Organizational Range of Kinds theory that explains some of this.
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#89220 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
Well, come on man what do you think encourages living things to do what they do? Food and a place to reproduce is a great incentive.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#89221 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
Kong, I see you having some difficulty with this. Let me summarize the available information...

There are systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns.

I hope this helps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 2 min Brandiiiiiiii 405
Topix is boring (Jun '13) 4 min Times are a Changing 32
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 7 min Enzo49 1,989
What Could Be Faked,...? 7 min Times are a Changing 48
the good old days ..... 15 min TALLYHO 8541 28
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 21 min Enzo49 20,544
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 22 min Parden Pard 54,591
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 28 min Wolftracks 146,987
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr eleanorigby 36,510
What's your tip for the day? 2 hr Chilli J 1,064