Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216925 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#89217 May 16, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>In the Tennessean language it is boo koo,
Oh, and FYI, it's pronounced "BO-koo".

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#89218 May 16, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence do you have that the capacity to digest lactose resulted from a mutation? Do you have access to human DNA from thousands of years ago?
BTW, re" "Lacotose Intoerance": Have you heard about Ötzi, the 5300 year-old "Ice Mummy" they found in the Alps in 1991?

They *DID* extract some of his DNA, and guess what?

"Mutations to the iceman's MCM6 gene suggest he could not digest the lactose sugar in milk – unlike most modern Europeans. "Maybe at that time most people were still lactose-intolerant," says Zink. "The change to farming livestock [in Europe] only began between about 5000 and 10,000 years ago and so digesting milk became an advantage.""

He also had a better-than-average chance to develop heart disease.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21523-o...

So yes, we *DO* have DNA from ancient peoples (including Neanderthal -- who may also have been lactose intolerant).

The genetic mutations that cause lactose (in)tolerance is quite well known and documented, as well as the genes and mutations for a host of other benign and not-so-benign genetic conditions (see "Angelina Jolie"/brest cancer).

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#89219 May 16, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
I think things in nature work a payment or concession to stimulate output or investment. WORK is the Whole Organizational Range of Kinds theory that explains some of this.
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
FREE SERVANT
#89220 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
Well, come on man what do you think encourages living things to do what they do? Food and a place to reproduce is a great incentive.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#89221 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
HEAD/DESK
Kong, I see you having some difficulty with this. Let me summarize the available information...

There are systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns.

I hope this helps.
FREE SERVANT
#89222 May 16, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Kong, I see you having some difficulty with this. Let me summarize the available information...
There are systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns and systems and cycles and patterns.
I hope this helps.
And that's just for starts!!!!

Level 9

Everett, WA

#89223 May 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and FYI, it's pronounced "BO-koo".
Not in Tennessee :^D

And for an outsider to correctly pronounce "Louisville" (I know, it is Kentucky not Tennessee) you can put either a handful of marbles or gravel in your mouth and your pronunciation will be just like a native's.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#89224 May 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Tennessee has a separate language?
Try learning French. Or even English.
I speak Russian and Swedish in addition to Tennessean, English and some American.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#89225 May 16, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Well, come on man what do you think encourages living things to do what they do? Food and a place to reproduce is a great incentive.
Um ... the instinct to not die.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#89226 May 16, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>I speak Russian and Swedish in addition to Tennessean, English and some American.
I speak five languages, with varying degrees of fluency.

Six if you count Elvish.

English is not my first.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#89227 May 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in Tennessee :^D
And for an outsider to correctly pronounce "Louisville" (I know, it is Kentucky not Tennessee) you can put either a handful of marbles or gravel in your mouth and your pronunciation will be just like a native's.
I remain unconvinced that most Americans speak English at all...

SORRY!

Hehehe.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#89228 May 16, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Now please tell me again the number of years you served and to what rank you acquired,
All my life and , I am a Field Marshal and have never suffered defeat.

HTS

Englewood, CO

#89229 May 16, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, re" "Lacotose Intoerance": Have you heard about Ötzi, the 5300 year-old "Ice Mummy" they found in the Alps in 1991?
They *DID* extract some of his DNA, and guess what?
"Mutations to the iceman's MCM6 gene suggest he could not digest the lactose sugar in milk – unlike most modern Europeans. "Maybe at that time most people were still lactose-intolerant," says Zink. "The change to farming livestock [in Europe] only began between about 5000 and 10,000 years ago and so digesting milk became an advantage.""
He also had a better-than-average chance to develop heart disease.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21523-o...
So yes, we *DO* have DNA from ancient peoples (including Neanderthal -- who may also have been lactose intolerant).
The genetic mutations that cause lactose (in)tolerance is quite well known and documented, as well as the genes and mutations for a host of other benign and not-so-benign genetic conditions (see "Angelina Jolie"/brest cancer).
In the first place, radiometric carbon dating is invalid for dates beyond about 3,500 years, because no calibration curves have been calculated.
Second, the mutation resulting in lactose digestion is believed to have occured 52,000 years ago.
Third, the existence of lactose intolerance in an ancient mummy provides no evidence that everyoone during that time period was lactose intolerant.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#89230 May 16, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
In the first place, radiometric carbon dating is invalid for dates beyond about 3,500 years, because no calibration curves have been calculated.
Second, the mutation resulting in lactose digestion is believed to have occured 52,000 years ago.
Third, the existence of lactose intolerance in an ancient mummy provides no evidence that everyoone during that time period was lactose intolerant.
You know, if I was as stupid as you, I'd never show my face in public for fear of being recognized. You have already been informed that carbon dating is not the only dating method utilized, and in ice samples, you don't even use carbon dating.
FREE SERVANT
#89231 May 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um ... the instinct to not die.
Some creatures who mate for life don't live long after their mate dies, why is that?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#89232 May 16, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence do you have that the capacity to digest lactose resulted from a mutation? Do you have access to human DNA from thousands of years ago?
For one thing it is isolated to discreet populations. For another, it was unnecessary until we started using milk as a food source. That didn't happen until very recent times. I believe that the center of origin of the mutation is Egypt. As a matter a fact, we do have access to DNA from humans of the recent past. As a matter of fact, science has put together a much of the Neanderthal genome. A small amount of that genome has been demonstrated to be in us modern humans. Do you not read anything but the Bible? You don't appear to read that with any comprehension either.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#89233 May 16, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Some creatures who mate for life don't live long after their mate dies, why is that?
Erm, evolutionary trait, why do you ask questions that are answered in textbooks?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#89234 May 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, if I was as stupid as you, I'd never show my face in public for fear of being recognized. You have already been informed that carbon dating is not the only dating method utilized, and in ice samples, you don't even use carbon dating.
What methology was used to date the mummy, and what is the proof that it is accurate and reproducible?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#89235 May 16, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>For one thing it is isolated to discreet populations. For another, it was unnecessary until we started using milk as a food source. That didn't happen until very recent times. I believe that the center of origin of the mutation is Egypt. As a matter a fact, we do have access to DNA from humans of the recent past. As a matter of fact, science has put together a much of the Neanderthal genome. A small amount of that genome has been demonstrated to be in us modern humans. Do you not read anything but the Bible? You don't appear to read that with any comprehension either.
Nice dodge, Dan.
You didn't explain how anyone has documented that the capacity to digest lactose is the result of a mutation. All you've presented is raw speculation.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#89236 May 16, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Some creatures who mate for life don't live long after their mate dies, why is that?
Perhaps because no-one is watching their back.

Never mind - some creatures who mate for life die young, too. Without losing a mate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 3 min Old Sam 5,876
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 5 min Old Sam 16,879
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 7 min Old Sam 32,279
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 8 min SUG here 35,668
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 8 min beatlesinthebog 22,237
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 9 min Old Sam 12,814
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 9 min Old Sam 83,179
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 31 min Gunthram 207,209
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 49 min 8541 MARINE 67,268
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Majority should rule 2,480