Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
83,721 - 83,740 of 113,208 Comments Last updated 2 min ago

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
You have small t's?
Ignored on the grounds that you are a moron

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

I have a question that may not be exactly on topic, but it does raise a concern. Ever since I entered this topic on Topix a month ago, the ads that appear in my browser are mostly Christian related. My concern is not so much the privacy issue (although it should be, I mean really – wtf?) it is the fact that on every page I browse, there’s a big ad asking "Do you believe in God? Click here for 6 reasons to believe". Now here’s my gripe. What does whoever the owner of this ad have to gain if I believe in God? Why has this person or group, who certainly have incurred reasonable costs to be my personal number 1 ad, gone out of their way to prove to me that God exists? What do they expect to gain from this? Financial gain, or just to strengthen their following? I am truly bemused by their need to prove to me that God exists on every website that I visit. This is what I find the most repellent about some true believers. They are not happy in just their own faith, they feel the need to go out of their way to convince me that I too MUST believe. Why do they take it upon themselves to "sell" this belief to others? I am already comfortable with my own religious beliefs thank you, no need to sell me on an opinion or belief that I might not share.

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The very post you reply to was more than challenge it was complete refutation of
what you said. You are simply too ignorant to see that.
He's not too ignorant Christine, it's the fingers-in-the-ears-while-yell ing-"LALALALALALALALALALA LA" reaction, which is his default response to these type of facts.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

JM_Brazil wrote:
I have a question that may not be exactly on topic, but it does raise a concern. Ever since I entered this topic on Topix a month ago, the ads that appear in my browser are mostly Christian related. My concern is not so much the privacy issue (although it should be, I mean really – wtf?) it is the fact that on every page I browse, there’s a big ad asking "Do you believe in God? Click here for 6 reasons to believe". Now here’s my gripe. What does whoever the owner of this ad have to gain if I believe in God? Why has this person or group, who certainly have incurred reasonable costs to be my personal number 1 ad, gone out of their way to prove to me that God exists? What do they expect to gain from this? Financial gain, or just to strengthen their following? I am truly bemused by their need to prove to me that God exists on every website that I visit. This is what I find the most repellent about some true believers. They are not happy in just their own faith, they feel the need to go out of their way to convince me that I too MUST believe. Why do they take it upon themselves to "sell" this belief to others? I am already comfortable with my own religious beliefs thank you, no need to sell me on an opinion or belief that I might not share.
i believe the ads are not the same for everyone, they are based upon the pages here you visit and other sites that you are tracked going to.

i tend to get mainly political based ads as i only post from the US politics page...

as far as the selling of religious cults, any business that doesn't keep a growing customer base will soon be out of business. and religion is the worlds second oldest business, nothing more.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i believe the ads are not the same for everyone, they are based upon the pages here you visit and other sites that you are tracked going to.
i tend to get mainly political based ads as i only post from the US politics page...
as far as the selling of religious cults, any business that doesn't keep a growing customer base will soon be out of business. and religion is the worlds second oldest business, nothing more.
I get the Neanderthal ad too. I noticed that the ads were based upon what other sites you visit after I saw an ad for a portable induction cook top on late night TV. The ad of course made it look to good to be true, and you could get it for only 4 payments of $33.33! But, just for you we will lower it to 3 payments of $33.33 ( I wonder how many people could not do the math and did not see that one coming from a mile away ) plus you get another one free! <just pay shipping and handling> plus more plus more etc. Anyway, it was a neat device so I Google searched it, found out that it was real and finally contacted the company. I asked straight out how much this $100.00 for two portable induction cookers with all of the free stuff would come to when all of the shipping and handling was added. It was about $240.00

Needless to say I did not buy one from them. I did keep looking and bought one from a reputable firm, just one not tow for one, That had a first time customer discount of 30%. Their price was the same as Amazon's and I saved 30% off of that.

Ever since I went to that companies site, the so called 2 for 1, I have seen their add on this site here. They must have some very persistent cookies.
EVERYMORNING

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Eat at KRYSTAL :-3)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

JM_Brazil wrote:
I have a question that may not be exactly on topic, but it does raise a concern. Ever since I entered this topic on Topix a month ago, the ads that appear in my browser are mostly Christian related. My concern is not so much the privacy issue (although it should be, I mean really – wtf?) it is the fact that on every page I browse, there’s a big ad asking "Do you believe in God? Click here for 6 reasons to believe".
It's google word-association. Because Christianity or God is mentioned either by us or the thread topics that's why you get religious ads. If there was a kids TV forum and you posted there your ads would probably be links to Disney and stuff.
JM_Brazil wrote:
Now here’s my gripe. What does whoever the owner of this ad have to gain if I believe in God? Why has this person or group, who certainly have incurred reasonable costs to be my personal number 1 ad, gone out of their way to prove to me that God exists? What do they expect to gain from this? Financial gain, or just to strengthen their following? I am truly bemused by their need to prove to me that God exists on every website that I visit. This is what I find the most repellent about some true believers. They are not happy in just their own faith, they feel the need to go out of their way to convince me that I too MUST believe. Why do they take it upon themselves to "sell" this belief to others? I am already comfortable with my own religious beliefs thank you, no need to sell me on an opinion or belief that I might not share.
Evangelism = profit. Believe in God? Unsure? Doesn't matter. Buy their books anyway. Evidence of Christianity. My near death experience. The life and times of Billy Graham. They're full of BS, but it brings in the tithes.

Interestingly enough not one penny of this profit goes towards scientific research but rather more PR instead.

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It's google word-association. Because Christianity or God is mentioned either by us or the thread topics that's why you get religious ads. If there was a kids TV forum and you posted there your ads would probably be links to Disney and stuff.
<quoted text>
Evangelism = profit. Believe in God? Unsure? Doesn't matter. Buy their books anyway. Evidence of Christianity. My near death experience. The life and times of Billy Graham. They're full of BS, but it brings in the tithes.
Interestingly enough not one penny of this profit goes towards scientific research but rather more PR instead.
Thanks Dude (wow, been a long time since I've said that to someone)

I understand the HOW,(a very profitable business for Google) what irks me is the WHY. But you state a good point, it's all about the bottom line. It's what I call Jesus Inc.
Saludos.

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Gillette wrote:
If you want to see how deeply sick and perverted the Christian named "Maria Magdalena" is, go to:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Wow, thanks for the eye-opener Gillete.

@MM, so you're a homophobe too? You need to get out of the house a bit more and look around. Go out and meet people, have discussions and enjoy yourself. Because at present you seem to have the intellegence of a gnat. A challenged gnat.

Now my only concern is what kind of pop-up ads will appear on my browser after operning Gillete's link!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, thanks for the eye-opener Gillete.
@MM, so you're a homophobe too? You need to get out of the house a bit more and look around. Go out and meet people, have discussions and enjoy yourself. Because at present you seem to have the intellegence of a gnat. A challenged gnat.
Now my only concern is what kind of pop-up ads will appear on my browser after operning Gillete's link!
She's still claiming that AIDS is a result of bestiality.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary.

What that has to do with homosexuality, I do not know.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Thomas Robertson wrote:
Mary Magdalena wrote:
"How can you spot an atheist?
He's the one that knuckles are dragging on the ground when he walks."
Good idea. Let's have a jokefest.
Why did the Creationist cross the road?
He didn't. His mommy wasn't there to hold his hand.
How many Creationists does it take to change a lightbulb?
None. Creationists use candles.
Why are Creationists afraid to travel?
They might fall off the end of the world.
What's round, has a circle around its nose, and looks like Richard Dawkins?
A dartboard advertised on the Answers in Genesis site.
How many athiests does it take to make popcorn?...3, one to hold the pan and two to shake the stove.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>She's still claiming that AIDS is a result of bestiality.
Despite all the evidence to the contrary.
What that has to do with homosexuality, I do not know.
Well she said she had aids , so maybe she thinks that's how she got it?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>How many athiests does it take to make popcorn?...3, one to hold the pan and two to shake the stove.
How many atheists does it take to make creationists look stupid?

None. Creationists don't need help with that

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I get the Neanderthal ad too. I noticed that the ads were based upon what other sites you visit after I saw an ad for a portable induction cook top on late night TV. The ad of course made it look to good to be true, and you could get it for only 4 payments of $33.33! But, just for you we will lower it to 3 payments of $33.33 ( I wonder how many people could not do the math and did not see that one coming from a mile away ) plus you get another one free! <just pay shipping and handling> plus more plus more etc. Anyway, it was a neat device so I Google searched it, found out that it was real and finally contacted the company. I asked straight out how much this $100.00 for two portable induction cookers with all of the free stuff would come to when all of the shipping and handling was added. It was about $240.00
Needless to say I did not buy one from them. I did keep looking and bought one from a reputable firm, just one not tow for one, That had a first time customer discount of 30%. Their price was the same as Amazon's and I saved 30% off of that.
Ever since I went to that companies site, the so called 2 for 1, I have seen their add on this site here. They must have some very persistent cookies.
those induction cooktops are super cool! my neice has Sleestak's disease (gluten free...I know it's Celiac's. but i grew up with 'Land of the Lost' so...)

so at our family cabin i set up a seperate cooking area in the downstairs bar with two of those portable induction plates. those things work better than our kitchen cooktop!

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>How many athiests does it take to make popcorn?...3, one to hold the pan and two to shake the stove.
you shouldn't need to shake your popcorn pan. heat the oil with three kernels in it, when they pop, the oil is ready and pour your corn in. no need to shake or stir it.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you shouldn't need to shake your popcorn pan. heat the oil with three kernels in it, when they pop, the oil is ready and pour your corn in. no need to shake or stir it.
Or if you're really smart, buy an air popper. They make popcorn better.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Well she said she had aids , so maybe she thinks that's how she got it?
*sigh*

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Blasphemy!

“Geaux Tigers!”

Level 9

Since: Jun 12

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hot air poppers won't slightly burn the popcorn though - which is how it is best.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Blasphemy!
>.> Inverse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

59 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 4 min Adrian DeVine 54,036
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 4 min curiouslu 76,936
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min curiouslu 141,639
The letter E (Jun '13) 11 min Adrian DeVine 851
The Letter "O" (May '09) 13 min Adrian DeVine 3,205
The Letter T (Dec '11) 15 min Adrian DeVine 2,376
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 18 min Adrian DeVine 5,738
Post how you feel (Oct '12) 1 hr Petal Power 366
Message to Obama 2 hr Petal Power 748