Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 171552 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#88567 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>those induction cooktops are super cool! my neice has Sleestak's disease (gluten free...I know it's Celiac's. but i grew up with 'Land of the Lost' so...)
so at our family cabin i set up a seperate cooking area in the downstairs bar with two of those portable induction plates. those things work better than our kitchen cooktop!
I agree, very efficient. There are drawbacks. Most of my cookware won't work with them. The one I have automatically turns itself off if an appropriate pot or pan is not on it so no worries damage wise.

This is the one that I bought, but as I said I got mine from Casa.com which was running a 30% off first time customer offer:

http://www.amazon.com/Burton-6200-1800-Watt-I...

So mine with tax was roughly $65.00 Pretty sweet, and that was with shipping and handling. No "free" stuff. But as all adults should now, nothing is really free. The scammers that were on late night TV sold the brand "Nu-Wave". They claim a higher cooking temperature on the high end, much higher than you would ever want to cook at, and yet they are only 1300 watts compared to mine which has 1800 watts. Of course mine has a built in temperature limiter. Perhaps that is why they can claim such high temps, it will get there, it will just take longer.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#88568 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you shouldn't need to shake your popcorn pan. heat the oil with three kernels in it, when they pop, the oil is ready and pour your corn in. no need to shake or stir it.
So now the subject is popcorn? I overdosed on that when I used to work in a pub during my college years a long long time ago. I haven't been a big fan since. We still used coconut oil at the time. It would be semi-solid with a little liquid at room temperature. It would be interesting to see how it tastes today, it has been so long.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88570 May 3, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, very efficient. There are drawbacks. Most of my cookware won't work with them. The one I have automatically turns itself off if an appropriate pot or pan is not on it so no worries damage wise.
This is the one that I bought, but as I said I got mine from Casa.com which was running a 30% off first time customer offer:
http://www.amazon.com/Burton-6200-1800-Watt-I...
So mine with tax was roughly $65.00 Pretty sweet, and that was with shipping and handling. No "free" stuff. But as all adults should now, nothing is really free. The scammers that were on late night TV sold the brand "Nu-Wave". They claim a higher cooking temperature on the high end, much higher than you would ever want to cook at, and yet they are only 1300 watts compared to mine which has 1800 watts. Of course mine has a built in temperature limiter. Perhaps that is why they can claim such high temps, it will get there, it will just take longer.
yeah, we use All-Clad cook ware on them. i like my non-stick pans for many everyday uses like scrambled eggs and such, and they don't work on them...

Can't recall what brand we have and we got them at some snooty cooking place in a tourist town near our cabin. think we paid over 2 bills for the both of them...so you seem to have gotten a good deal.(but seriously, we have two induction 'burners' on the Viking stove top in the kitchen and these portable ones seem to work even better.)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88571 May 3, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
So now the subject is popcorn? I overdosed on that when I used to work in a pub during my college years a long long time ago. I haven't been a big fan since. We still used coconut oil at the time. It would be semi-solid with a little liquid at room temperature. It would be interesting to see how it tastes today, it has been so long.
yeah, i could see how you'd get sick of it...

yes, the newer popcorn varieties are far better.

it's just a good healthy(er) snack we can enjoy (and the puppies can eat it also!)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#88572 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes. it's the only munchies I eat. kind of picky about my popcorn, what can i say...
Sorry, but when it comes to popcorn, I'm a heathen.

I don't care how much salt and butter you put on it, it's still styrofoam.

With beetle wing cases.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#88573 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
I'm going to start my own religious cult. Midwestern Orthodox King of all Corns Temple.(reformed)
if one of you joins me, we shall be the fastest growing religion on the planet, percentage wise...
The world was created out of corn, corn is in everything, and there is no escape from the corn.
But honestly the Mayans beat you to it, long ago there were A Maize zing things they did in the name of corn. lol

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#88574 May 3, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, very efficient. There are drawbacks. Most of my cookware won't work with them. The one I have automatically turns itself off if an appropriate pot or pan is not on it so no worries damage wise.
This is the one that I bought, but as I said I got mine from Casa.com which was running a 30% off first time customer offer:
http://www.amazon.com/Burton-6200-1800-Watt-I...
So mine with tax was roughly $65.00 Pretty sweet, and that was with shipping and handling. No "free" stuff. But as all adults should now, nothing is really free. The scammers that were on late night TV sold the brand "Nu-Wave". They claim a higher cooking temperature on the high end, much higher than you would ever want to cook at, and yet they are only 1300 watts compared to mine which has 1800 watts. Of course mine has a built in temperature limiter. Perhaps that is why they can claim such high temps, it will get there, it will just take longer.
What sort of cookware do you use with that? Glass? It says compatible cookware detector?

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#88575 May 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but when it comes to popcorn, I'm a heathen.
I don't care how much salt and butter you put on it, it's still styrofoam.
With beetle wing cases.
LOL! it gets stuck in your teeth is my gripe.
Mary Magdalena

United States

#88576 May 3, 2013
Thomas Robertson wrote:
Mary Magdalena wrote:

"How can you spot an atheist?

He's the one that knuckles are dragging on the ground when he walks."

Good idea. Let's have a jokefest.

Why did the Creationist cross the road?
He didn't. His mommy wasn't there to hold his hand.

How many Creationists does it take to change a lightbulb?
None. Creationists use candles.

Why are Creationists afraid to travel?
They might fall off the end of the world.

What's round, has a circle around its nose, and looks like Richard Dawkins?
A dartboard advertised on the Answers in Genesis site.
Don't quit your day job.
KJV

United States

#88577 May 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Ignored on the grounds that you are a moron
Ignored on the coffee grounds.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88578 May 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but when it comes to popcorn, I'm a heathen.
I don't care how much salt and butter you put on it, it's still styrofoam.
With beetle wing cases.
butter?!?!? aaaagh! why don't you just dump some Jr. Mints into it when its still warm like my daughters do?(and i tried so hard to raise them well....)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88579 May 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> What sort of cookware do you use with that? Glass? It says compatible cookware detector?
ones that magnets will stick to. here's a decent guide to the process and the cookware.

http://www.metrokitchen.com/induction-compati...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88580 May 3, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignored on the coffee grounds.
oh jeez...don't get me started on coffee...
KJV

United States

#88581 May 3, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
I have a question that may not be exactly on topic, but it does raise a concern. Ever since I entered this topic on Topix a month ago, the ads that appear in my browser are mostly Christian related. My concern is not so much the privacy issue (although it should be, I mean really – wtf?) it is the fact that on every page I browse, there’s a big ad asking "Do you believe in God? Click here for 6 reasons to believe". Now here’s my gripe. What does whoever the owner of this ad have to gain if I believe in God? Why has this person or group, who certainly have incurred reasonable costs to be my personal number 1 ad, gone out of their way to prove to me that God exists? What do they expect to gain from this? Financial gain, or just to strengthen their following? I am truly bemused by their need to prove to me that God exists on every website that I visit. This is what I find the most repellent about some true believers. They are not happy in just their own faith, they feel the need to go out of their way to convince me that I too MUST believe. Why do they take it upon themselves to "sell" this belief to others? I am already comfortable with my own religious beliefs thank you, no need to sell me on an opinion or belief that I might not share.
LOL

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#88582 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>butter?!?!? aaaagh! why don't you just dump some Jr. Mints into it when its still warm like my daughters do?(and i tried so hard to raise them well....)
Hmm. Perhaps bacon...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#88583 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>ones that magnets will stick to. here's a decent guide to the process and the cookware.
http://www.metrokitchen.com/induction-compati...
Sorry, I'm sticking wi' cast iron.

Not only does nothing stick to it, in an emergency it'll stop a bullet and put the shooter in a coma.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#88584 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>oh jeez...don't get me started on coffee...
High Mountain Kenyan AA, medium roast, medium grind.

In a French press.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#88585 May 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>ones that magnets will stick to. here's a decent guide to the process and the cookware.
http://www.metrokitchen.com/induction-compati...
Ok I've never even seen one of these , sounds interesting.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88586 May 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I'm sticking wi' cast iron.
Not only does nothing stick to it, in an emergency it'll stop a bullet and put the shooter in a coma.
cast iron does work. always a favorite. nothing holds heat like a good ol' cast iron skillet...

makes a great bed warmer for those really chilly nights...

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#88588 May 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I'm sticking wi' cast iron.
Not only does nothing stick to it, in an emergency it'll stop a bullet and put the shooter in a coma.
Hey didn't they make a movie about that?

lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Mar '10) 4 min wichita-rick 17,607
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 7 min TheJerseyDevil 4,919
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 9 min Observer 166,968
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 9 min wichita-rick 3,008
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) 9 min cathouse cowboy 92
The letter F (Jun '13) 13 min Observer 915
Tell a joke that doesn't make sense 16 min TheJerseyDevil 31
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr TALLYHO 8541 42,047
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 2 hr Grace Nerissa 1,861
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 2 hr Sublime1 29,494
More from around the web