Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#88260 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I have something.
I know, but the free clinic can treat you for it, if you are lucky. Remember; herpes is forever.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Zhengzhou, China

#88261 Apr 28, 2013
Now for a discussion on the genetic fallacy:

Would you buy a hair restoration program from me?
You shouldn't, because I am capillarily challenged.
Would you buy a diet and exercise program from me?
You shouldn't, because I am a man of considerable adiposity.

So why do you expect us to buy a program which purports to make better people, if that program shows no evidence of making better people?

I am reminded of Father Divine, a cult leader who provided a commune for his followers in Philadelphia in the 1920's.
He claimed that he and his followers were immortal.
One time, however, a woman in his commune died. He left the follower's dead body lying in place.
He argued that it wasn't his resposibility, because she couldn't have been a true follower of his or she wouldn't have died.
After two weeks, the city of Philadelphia finally gave in and removed the body.
From then on, the city was quick to act upon any further fatalities.
Finally, Father Divine himself died.
A few of his followers remained, arguing that his spirit was living on, but they were fooling no one but themselves.

If you ask me, Father Divine was wrong in claiming immortality for himself and his followers.

So what's the diff?
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88262 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The deathbed conversion lie has long ago been debunked. Even Answers in Genesis knows that this is a base lie:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2009...
By the way, when you quote lying sites people will tend to call you a liar.
No - it hasn't been "debunked" - it has been "denied" by atheists, that's all.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88263 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a Christian is not a club that you can belong to while living a sinful life.
You must turn your life over to God
Something Hitler did not do.
how would you know? since you openly lie without regret, and do so repeatedly so you have no thought to stop this action, you certainly don't fall into that christian category you claim.

in fact, didn't you claim to not follow any religion? another lie? a lie about your own faith?

is anything you say true at all? even one thing?
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88264 Apr 28, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Unceremoniously rebutted as a LIE by your very own allies at Answers in Genesis!
What Really Happened?
Unfortunately, when the full text of the report is examined, there are many inconsistencies that make the story untenable. While it is possible that Lady Hope did visit Darwin’s home in late 1881, this was almost seven months before his death.5 He was certainly not bedridden for six months before his death. Further, there was nothing to indicate that he was always studying the Bible.
On the Down House property, there was a small summerhouse, but it was too small to accommodate 30 people. There is nothing in his writings to indicate that Darwin ever asked anyone to speak about “Christ Jesus.”
Further, it is fascinating what Lady Hope’s story does not say. It does not say that Darwin renounced evolution. It merely says that Darwin speculated over the outcome of his ideas. He never backed away from evolution. Nor does the Lady Hope story say that Darwin actually became a Christian. The story, even if true, merely claims the Darwin was reading the Bible and made a statement about Christ. Nowhere is there a claim of a saving relationship with the Savior.
As soon as this story became public, the denials from Darwin’s family began (as they did after every supposed “conversion story” became known). In a letter to James Howe, Darwin’s son Francis wrote in 1915:“He [Darwin] could not have become openly and enthusiastically Christian without the knowledge of his family, and no such change occurred.”6
In a letter dated May 28, 1918, Francis again writes:“Lady Hope’s account of my father’s views on religion is quite untrue. I have publicly accused her of falsehood, but I have not seen any reply.”3
Darwin’s daughter Henrietta wrote in 1922:“I was present at his deathbed. Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness.... He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier.”7
Conclusion
Beyond these denials, if the tale were true, why did Darwin’s wife Emma not rejoice in this? She was always troubled by what she perceived as the godless nature of his views. If he indeed repented, why did she not make this known? Also, if the story were credible, why did Lady Hope wait 33 years before relating it, and even then, relating it in a country across the ocean?
Given the weight of evidence, it must be concluded that Lady Hope’s story is unsupportable, even if she did actually visit Darwin. He never became a Christian, and he never renounced evolution.
As much as we would like to believe that he died with a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, it is much more likely that he didn’t. It is unfortunate that the story continues to be promoted by many sincere people who use this in an effort to discredit evolution when many other great arguments exist, including the greatest: the Bible.
Editors’ note: this article was originally published March 31, 2009, and has been republished under the Arguments Christians Should Not Use web series.
[GILLETTE AGAIN] Apparently Lady Hope was a liar. Isn't; that against one of your Jesus' main commandments?
Gee, may you should heed the advice of these "Christians" and make this an "Argument Christians Should Not Use."
LOL!
Just because *you* say it's a lie doesn't make it a lie.

You give yourself too much credit, Gillette.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88265 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
no, debunked. proven to not be true. much like all the other lies you put out as posts...

why is it so many of these 'christian' sites you get crap from are so full of proven lies? oh yeah, your whole cult is based on proven lies.
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88266 Apr 28, 2013
"It's a lie"
"It's been debunked"
"Prove it"
"There's no proof"
"You're lying"
"It's a myth"
"It's a made up fable"
"You're an idiot"
"You're a creatard"
"You're a parrot"
etc.
These comments are not defenses.
They also prove nothing except that
you guys seem to thrive on arguing.
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88267 Apr 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how would you know? since you openly lie without regret, and do so repeatedly so you have no thought to stop this action, you certainly don't fall into that christian category you claim.
in fact, didn't you claim to not follow any religion? another lie? a lie about your own faith?
is anything you say true at all? even one thing?
Again - God is not a "religion".

What part of that aren't you understanding,
Woodtick.
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88268 Apr 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, debunked. proven to not be true. much like all the other lies you put out as posts...
why is it so many of these 'christian' sites you get crap from are so full of proven lies? oh yeah, your whole cult is based on proven lies.
Not "debunked" nor "unproven" - just denied, that's all.
Fortunately, you guys won't have to wait too much longer for all the proof you will need to know who the one true Creator, and Saviour, of this world, truly is.
Unfortunately, some of you may have to find out the hard way.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88269 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh.....
This doesn’t prove evolution at all. This would be yet another interpretation of what you see under a microscope when it comes to genetics. You still need for example to actuallysee it take place as they claim. What do we continue to see in captivity with all the animals we have in the world at zoos? Dogs give birth to dogs, and not a freak show animal. And evolutionist contend that they don’t claim animals give rise to a half dog half sheep (this is only an example b/c evolutionist tend to take what is said to an extreme). Bottom line is if you ask them, the common ancestor between apes and humans what was the % of that animal? Was it 50% human and 50% ape and gave birth to a human being that was 90% human and 10% ape? Did it give birthtoo twins an ape and a human where the ape was 90% ape and 10% human and the human had 90% human and 10% ape? Do you see where I”m going with this? The question remains, how and what did the common ancestor look like? What did it give birth to? You can’t continue to say well it takes millions of years, well bottom line if there is a common ancestor btwapes and humans then that ape like creature or human like creature is giving birth and rise to a half ape/human like creature and no matter how much you talk about it, eventually you get us 100% human or are we according to evolutionist.
ERV’sprove nothing at all unless you can produce the common ancestor, how it gave rise or have the question answered that did it give birth to twin creatures a ape and a human like animal, or what. You just can’t show us an evolutionary tree and show common ancestry unless you are willing to say that the common ancestor had to give birth to some pretty odd offspring that kept branching to you get humans, apes, whales, bats, whatever, there should be a fossil record full of strange transitional, but you see fossils that look like modern day creatures which is not consistent with what we see in evolutionary where there is suppose to be this common ancestry. If it takes millions of years of slow change then you should have that in the record but you have animals that look like what you can find on earth with argues against slow change.
For more information from the above excerpt, please click here:
http://egoeimi3.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/ervs...
Did you write this? It's such incoherent CRAP it made me laugh out aloud all the way through.

What bizarre nonsense!

If I thought you were the least bit interested in actually discussing the evidence for evolution and maybe LEARNING SOMETHING about science in the process, I would take this apart sentence by sentence and discuss it with you.

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

#88270 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote, "The Scripture records that Adam's animal names stuck, which may indicate the names were more than titles in that they accurately described the animals."

They stuck? Where?
My pocket dictionary says that the Korean word for dog is "gae," the Chinese word is "gou," and the Japanese word is "inu."
If I recall correctly from foreign language class, the French word is "chien," the Spanish word is "perro," and the Italian word is "cane."
Which one of those words, if any, is the name which Adam applied?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88271 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because *you* say it's a lie doesn't make it a lie.
You give yourself too much credit, Gillette.
The "Christian" organization Answers in Genesis is saying it's a lie, you MORON.

READ their passage about it!

Christ, you are really REALLY stupid, aren't you? LOL

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

#88272 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote, "you guys seem to thrive on arguing."

And you don't?
What are you doing here, then?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88273 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, some of you may have to find out the hard way.
Ah yes, the Fear Card. It's really all you have, isn't it? THREATS?

Your sick psycho Jesus will burn and torture us with out stopping for all eternity for not acknowledging him as Lord and Savior, etc.

Yuck, what a scumbag religion you push at us. And yes, it's a RELIGION.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#88274 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
No, seriously, it has been debunked. Even the creatard site Answers in Genesis admits that this story is the purest of bullshit.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#88275 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Again - God is not a "religion".
What part of that aren't you understanding,
Woodtick.
But believing in God is a religious belief. You may not follow any organized Christian sect, your religion still is Christianity.

I think it will be safe to assume that you are a creatard. You are disingenuous, you quote lies, you have no clue about what science is or how science is done and yet you want to argue against a scientific concept.

Do you see a problem with this?

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

#88276 Apr 28, 2013
>>>See, Gillette, and other present atheists-

You talk about us using epithets like "creotard."
How about you lumping us all together as "atheists"?

>>>But, belief in God cannot be proven by science, nor any other manmade platform. God is supernatural - and if you guys are actually interested, which I don't think you are, but IF you are, then there are hundreds of youtube videos, as well as even more recounts of people who have witnessed and experienced unexplainable miracles and other divine presence.

I've heard similar testimonies from Moonies, Baha'is, Jehovah's Witnesses, Nicherenshoshu Buddists, and members of many other religions.
What is so special about the testimonies for your brand?

>>>it appears the only reason you guys want Christian response or participation in this forum is to use us for target practice.

At least I'm honest about it.
That's because evolution has instilled us with a fighting instinct.
That's why the Evolutionists are on this forum, and that's why the Creationists are on this forum.
It's funny how Creationists keep right on demonstrating Evolutionary theory while continuing to deny Evolutionary theory.

I dropped out of this forum for a while because we seem to have lost Charles Idemi.
But you're as much fun as Charles Idemi.

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

#88277 Apr 28, 2013
I wrote:
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, I'm scared!

KJV wrote:
"I don't believe you. You're far too arrogant to believe you could be wrong."

You're not supposed to believe me.
I was being sarcastic.

>>>Pride one of the seven deadly sins.

You must be Catholic.
As I recall, the Bible doesn't talk about the seven deadly sins.

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

#88278 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
"Perhaps the real reason you guys can't find evidence for God is for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.
You aren't genuinely looking.

:)"

I grew up in the Methodist church.
Since I left home, I continued to search in different places.
For several years, I attended informal weekly discussions known as "firesides," hosted by individual Bahai's.
For several years, I attended Quaker meetings.
I have invited Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon missionaries into my home to share what they had to say.
I have read books published by the Baha'is, the Jehovah's Witnesses, and mainline Protestants.
In another Creationist/Evolutionist thread, a Creationist asked us if we read Creationist literature. I made a tally of Creationist books and Evolutionist books which I have read, and the numbers came out about the same.

Level 5

Zhengzhou, China

#88279 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
"lol cute webpage entry -"

What does the Third Commandment say?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min Observer 161,818
News Baltimore Mom Catches Her Son Rioting, Beats Hi... 12 min Observer 179
News Michael Jackson went to great lengths for stran... 31 min No More 21
News Lisa Mariea s suspicious mind (Aug '10) 45 min Let Yourself Go 98
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 48 min eleanorigby 40,268
News Giant billowing aerial sculpture installed over... 1 hr Anita Bryant s Jihad 1
News Touching, funny, messages in obits getting wide... 1 hr Anita Bryant s Jihad 1
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 hr Jennifer Renee 10,908
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 4 hr Enter Username 29,001
More from around the web