Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Read more

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#88237 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
See, Gillette, and other present atheists-
We can all continue to copy/paste information that supports each of our beliefs til the cows come home. That settles nothing.
But, belief in God cannot be proven by science, nor any other manmade platform. God is supernatural - and if you guys are actually interested, which I don't think you are, but IF you are, then there are hundreds of youtube videos, as well as even more recounts of people who have witnessed and experienced unexplainable miracles and other divine presence.
But no one has time nor the desire to sit here and copy and paste all day long when it appears the only reason you guys want Christian response or participation in this forum is to use us for target practice.
Who would want to sit through that.
There are no "unexplainable miracles". You might not like the explanations, but they are out their. We can show that all of the scientific evidence supports evolution and none of it supports creationism. And evolution does not disprove god. It does not even disprove Jesus and Christianity. There are easy explanations why Jesus might have referred to Noah and Adam. So please, don't think that evolution is anti-Christian. Worldwide most Christians probably do believe the theory of evolution. The high percentage of creationists seems to be a feature of the U.S. and not that of any other civilized country. I am not denying that there are creationists elsewhere in the world, just not in the high percentages that you see here.

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#88238 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Like many "religions", you are basing your assumptions, and beliefs, on a mere secular "man" who had a theory, Woodtick. A "theory". His information was not based on any thing other than his opinion.
In other words, he, like you, was unable to explain "God" or Creation - so he came up with an opinion on what he "thinks" happened.
Is that who you want to follow behind? Goodness.
Again, yo are talking about things you do not understand in the slightest and it is making you look like an even bigger ass.

you need to understand what a scientific theory is and all the requirements needed to make it so.(lest you look like a bigger fool than you do now.
KJV

United States

#88239 Apr 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>Blah, blah, blah.
ViaDolorosa

Don't bother with MikeF. Awhile back right on these threads he committed Blasphemy of the Holy Spirt. Yup the only unforgivable sin. His soul is damned and there is no saving it.
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88240 Apr 28, 2013
Published in a 1915 newsletter - you might want to read this.
http://carm.org/secular-movements/evolution/d...
All we have to go on is history - and faith. So take this for what its worth - I'm sure it will spark a few "It's a lie!!" comments. I'm getting the impression that it matters not what is said or presented to you guys - your ultimate defense will always be "You're a liar!".
KJV

United States

#88241 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Most atheists in the U.S. know the Bible much better than most Christians. They have sought. They are also aware of possible traps, such as confirmation bias. The evidence does not seem to be out there.
"Most atheists in the U.S. know the Bible much better than most Christians"

Link? Or am I to talk your word for it. LOL
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88242 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn’t prove evolution at all.
Yes, it DOES according to people who actually work in the field, including confirmed, practicing Christians like Francis Collins, Ken Miller and Karl Giberson.

Unlike you, of course, they actually UNDERSTAND what ERVs are and why they are so stunning as proof of evolution.

There are 3 BILLION base pairs in the human genome, therefore 3 BILLION places where that ancient virus could have left its mark. ALL human beings have hundreds of these retroviral markers in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACES in their genome.

Also, other members of the ape family ALSO share these makers with us (orangutans, gorillas, monkeys, etc.) and they too have them in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACES in their genome. by contrast, other mammals such as horse, mice, squirrels, etc. do NTO share these same retroviral makers with us.

The only reasonable explanation for the above is that we share common descent with these members of the ape family and we all evolved form earlier members of the ape family who HAD THESE MARKERS in their genomes and passed them down to us.

You really cannot intelligently spin this any other way.

Minnesota's North Coast

#88243 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
All we have to go on is history - and faith. So take this for what its worth - I'm sure it will spark a few "It's a lie!!" comments. I'm getting the impression that it matters not what is said or presented to you guys - your ultimate defense will always be "You're a liar!".
what you are forgetting , dear, is that each and everyone of your silly ideas, most of which you don't even undertsand yourself, have been clearly proven to be lies.

how would you know if they are the truth in the first place when you are clearly posting things you are not capable of understanding? you are nothing more than a parrot.
KJV

United States

#88244 Apr 28, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are wrong....I live a sin free life.
Sure you do.

Minnesota's North Coast

#88245 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Woodtick may be angry with fundies. Since they do tend to lie quite a lot I can see why he feels that way. He does not have any religious beliefs that I know of or any religion at all.
Atheism is not a religion. Atheists do not believe in god because sufficient evidence has never been given to believe in a god. You do not name people for what they don't believe in, it would take years to describe a person if that is the case. For example you are not an Allah denying, anti-Thor, non-Krishna, lapsed-Buddhist..... the list goes on and on. You are a Christian. You believe in Jesus, the trinity (probably) and all that goes with it. When an atheist is asked about his religious beliefs he simple says that he does not have any.
Think of it this way, is not playing football a sport?
why would you think i am angry?
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88246 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no "unexplainable miracles". You might not like the explanations, but they are out their. We can show that all of the scientific evidence supports evolution and none of it supports creationism. And evolution does not disprove god. It does not even disprove Jesus and Christianity. There are easy explanations why Jesus might have referred to Noah and Adam. So please, don't think that evolution is anti-Christian. Worldwide most Christians probably do believe the theory of evolution. The high percentage of creationists seems to be a feature of the U.S. and not that of any other civilized country. I am not denying that there are creationists elsewhere in the world, just not in the high percentages that you see here.
The below recount is just one - in thousands upon thousands, of accounts of unexplained miracles.
A newborn baby died shortly after birth - true story - and they were letting the family hold it before taking it to the morgue.
Approximately 20-25 minutes later, the baby began breathing again. The baby was/is fine and suffers no brain damage today.
Science says that a human brain cannot ("cannot") go 4 minutes without oxygen before it will suffer damage.
----------
Unexplainable?
Source: Sept 2010 UK http://www.today.com/id/38988444/ns/today-par...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#88247 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Most atheists in the U.S. know the Bible much better than most Christians"
Link? Or am I to talk your word for it. LOL
Since I am not a lying fundamentalist you can take my word for it.

I am not like you.

You should know this by now, this has been discussed before, complete with links. And you could have found this out for yourself:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/09/2...

Yes, even for someone like you, Google is your friend.
KJV

United States

#88248 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Denial. You cannot decide what religion a man has, only that man can. And according to Hitler he was one of you.
Being a Christian is not a club that you can belong to while living a sinful life.
You must turn your life over to God
Something Hitler did not do.
ViaDolorosa

Cumming, GA

#88249 Apr 28, 2013
Another newborn miracle - from 2012 - in Argentina. Newborn baby girl born, lived 20 minutes, then died.
Doctors pronounced her dead and took her to the freezer - and that's where she was 12 hours later when her parents went down to get a photo of her for the funeral. They opened the coffin - and touched her hand - and she began to cry.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-574130...

“Drive by wire”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#88250 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Even satan believes in Jesus - so that would mean that he is wiser than atheists.
Sad - and scary.
Yeah Daffy believes in Donald.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#88251 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
The deathbed conversion lie has long ago been debunked. Even Answers in Genesis knows that this is a base lie:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2009...

By the way, when you quote lying sites people will tend to call you a liar.
KJV

United States

#88252 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Oops, my mistake. You still posted the wrong poll results.

You should know that was not the most recent poll. This is the most recent poll, and it debunks all of your claims:

http://redcresearch.ie/wp-content/uploads/201...

Atheism in the U.S. is 6% and growing. Worldwide 13% of the population considers themselves to be convinced atheists.

In the U.S. if you add the atheists to those who have no religion or are agnostic and you have 20% of the populaton.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.

Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.

Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.

According to a 2012 report by the Pew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...

According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."

Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population

While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...

Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
KJV

United States

#88253 Apr 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Lying for Jesus is still lying. Breaking the Ninth Commandment is a sin for Christians.

You know you have nothing.
I know I have something.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#88254 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
The below recount is just one - in thousands upon thousands, of accounts of unexplained miracles.
A newborn baby died shortly after birth - true story - and they were letting the family hold it before taking it to the morgue.
Approximately 20-25 minutes later, the baby began breathing again. The baby was/is fine and suffers no brain damage today.
Science says that a human brain cannot ("cannot") go 4 minutes without oxygen before it will suffer damage.
----------
Unexplainable?
Source: Sept 2010 UK http://www.today.com/id/38988444/ns/today-par...
Not hardly. The baby was not dead. It had a heartbeat and respiration that was so low that the doctor could not detect it.

No magic needed.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Zhengzhou, China

#88255 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
"Let me ask you this - let's say a man, named John, decides to steal his neighbor's newspaper off his porch.
Does that mean all men named 'John' are a thief? Of course not - the conclusion would be that this particular "John" IS a thief, though, based on HIS decision to steal the newspaper."

Let me ask you this: Let's say a man who has been identified as an Evolutionist decides to kill everyone he considers inferior.
Does that mean all Evolutionists want to kill everyone they consider inferior?
Of course not. The conclusion would be that this particular man identified as an Evolutionist is a eugenist, though, based on HIS decision to kill everyone he sondiers inferior.

Let's be consistent.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#88256 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...
A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.
Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.
Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.
According to a 2012 report by the Pew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...
According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."
Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population
While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:
The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%
persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,
In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
And those were poorly done polls. Once again, the poll I linked was more intensive, and world wide. Your is at best a collection of polls. Here is the link again:

http://redcresearch.ie/wp-content/uploads/201...

If you can find a better and more recent poll then let's see it. Mine was taken last year.

Atheism in the U.S. is 6%. Worldwide only 59% of people are religious, 23 % think of themselves as not religious. And another 13% consider themselves convince atheists. Added together that is 36% of the world's population consider themselves either not religious or atheist.

My poll is newer and more thorough than yours.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min ellaquent 159,671
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 5 min _FLATLINE-------- 7,626
Word Association (Mar '10) 5 min beatlesinafog 16,791
lets play follow the word! (Jul '08) 7 min beatlesinafog 39,515
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 9 min _FLATLINE-------- 9,609
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 10 min Sublime1 8,059
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 12 min Crazy Jae 1,276
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 1 hr AZviaWA 990
News Will Alaska's weird winter be followed by equal... 1 hr tough call 37
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 2 hr -TheExam- 28,092