Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 164195 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#88162 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
lol cute webpage entry -
However - all of these links appear to be simply baseless "theories" from secular men who are attempting to explain away God.
The Bible, on the other hand, is a time tested historical account of mankind's history throughout the centuries - BC and AD.
It's also worth noting that the Bible has yet to be wrong regarding prophetic events written in those pages. Do you realize just how many prophecies have already been fulfilled? So many it goes beyond mere coincidence - and He's not done fulfilling them either.
Actually? You guys are mentioned in prophecy - it talks all through the Bible about non believers - and how they will be running to and fro in the end days with their unbeliefs and mocking of Him and His Word. And, it talks, in pretty clear detail, about how God will destroy them at the end.
You guys visit Vegas much? Because it would appear you are high risk gamblers.
no, they are based on verifiable, reproduceable evidence.

your bible on the other hand, is full of mostly inaccurate statements, as you have been shown, but cannot accept as truth.

denying facts in front of your face is not a healthy mindset. it is a clear sign of cult indoctrination.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88163 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'd say it's impressive - for the Bible to explain the oceans and water cycles 3000 years before mankind/science caught up with it - should be impressive to most people.
From the dawn of time, mankind has noticed that it rains, then the foggy damp mist rises and burns off etc. There is nothing remarkable about the passages you cite. It certainly doesn't even APPROACH a scientific description of WHAT happens and HOW and WHY it happens.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#88165 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Perhaps the real reason you guys can't find evidence for God is for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.
You aren't genuinely looking.
:)
Too bad that you do not understand what is and what is not evidence. If you did you could give us the evidence that you claim is out there. I can help you to understand what is and what is not scientific evidence so you will not say anything as foolish as "There is no evidence for evolution."

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#88166 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'd say it's impressive - for the Bible to explain the oceans and water cycles 3000 years before mankind/science caught up with it - should be impressive to most people.
Except that the bible didn't explain anything of the sort.

Just says "However it works, Goddidit."

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#88167 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm assuming you were raised in a catholic environment, then. Sorry for that because the catholic church is evil at its core - my opinion.
First - the only man who can forgive sin is Jesus Christ - not a secular earthly priest/preacher/pastor/etc.
Second - you don't use idols to pray to or with - i.e. rosary beads.
Third - the Bible does not prohibit church elders to marry - in fact, it says, paraphrasing - if you can't control your urges, it's best to marry rather than burn in sin.
Fourth - "Mary" was Jesus's mother while he was on earth - she is not a goddess, god nor deity. Her (stone statue) feet should not be kissed nor should she (stone statue) be worshiped or prayed to.
Fifth - the pope's blood ritual he does using the blood of a dead pope. Do I really need to explain the wrong in that? lol
And the list goes on and on......... the catholic church is a poor example of a Christ following "church".
Wait, what's that fifth one again?
KJV

United States

#88168 Apr 28, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever just stop, stand back, and look at that story and realize how stupid it is??

Its kindergarten stuff....you know like how the people who wrote it are at level with.
"Did you ever just stop, stand back, and look at that story and realize how stupid it is??"

I know what you mean.
The Big Bang
Spontaneous self generating life form
Evolution all life plant and animal coming out of a mud puddle.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#88169 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm assuming you were raised in a catholic environment, then. Sorry for that because the catholic church is evil at its core - my opinion.
First - the only man who can forgive sin is Jesus Christ - not a secular earthly priest/preacher/pastor/etc.
Third - the Bible does not prohibit church elders to marry - in fact, it says, paraphrasing - if you can't control your urges, it's best to marry rather than burn in sin.
Fourth - "Mary" was Jesus's mother while he was on earth - she is not a goddess, god nor deity. Her (stone statue) feet should not be kissed nor should she (stone statue) be worshiped or prayed to.
Fifth - the pope's blood ritual he does using the blood of a dead pope. Do I really need to explain the wrong in that? lol
And the list goes on and on......... the catholic church is a poor example of a Christ following "church".
You do realize (at your own peril) that with the assertion the Catholic faith is evil, that all other denominations sprang from evil. So while you may prove it is so, you will in effect shoot yourself in the head in the process.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#88170 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion means nothing.
ViaDolorosa wrote:
First thing you misunderstand
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Second mistake. The rosary is not an idol.
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Paraphrasing! So now you're an expert on decoding the word of god. Congratulations on your promotion from doofus.
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Fourth - "Mary" was Jesus's mother while he was on earth - she is not a goddess, god nor deity.
Nor does the RCC calim she is.
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Her (stone statue) feet should not be kissed nor should she (stone statue) be worshiped or prayed to.
WTF?
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Yeah, you will. Including where you got that tidbit.
ViaDolorosa wrote:
I disagree. It is the arrogant fundamentalists who think they are better than everyone else and are in a position to judge all. It is you and your ilk that is disgusting.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#88171 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh! That's right! It didn't rain before Noah. Duh.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#88172 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Did you ever just stop, stand back, and look at that story and realize how stupid it is??"
I know what you mean.
The Big Bang
Poor KJV, another idiot for Jesus. Most people can be educated. Some people cannot be. They keep themselves willfully ignorant.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#88173 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Perhaps the real reason you guys can't find evidence for God is for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.
You aren't genuinely looking.
:)
Blah, blah, blah.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#88174 Apr 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Wait, what's that fifth one again?
Seriously!

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#88175 Apr 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you mean.
The Big Bang
You believe in Poof of the Universe and Poof of Life. Sooooo much more believable.
KJV

United States

#88177 Apr 28, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Why would I have sin??

I am not a sinner.
Wrong.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88178 Apr 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so the angels do not know god's plan? really?
Yeah, and what';s more, this snooty Jesus of their, who cannot abide sin and will not have any of it in his Holy Heaven discovered a bit too late that 1/3 of all the angels in his Holy Heaven were turning against him and plotting, etc.

Some dumbo, this God of theirs, isn't he? LOL

And by the way, this story, which they all believe, isn't even in the Bible.
KJV

United States

#88179 Apr 28, 2013
Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>How can you do that without proving your case to us?
God shows himself in many ways.

Seek and he shall find.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88180 Apr 28, 2013
ViaDolorosa wrote:
Evolution has not one iota of evidence - none, zilch, nadda.
It would take more faith to believe in evolution than God
Really? Tell that to these GOD BELIEVERS, the evangelical Christians at Baylor University, the "largest Baptist University in the world," where the students go on mission trips, etc.

This is from the Biology Department at Baylor:
http://www.baylor.edu/biology/index.php...

Statement on Evolution
"Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."

Also, here from the Baylor Geology Department:
http://www.baylor.edu/geology/index.php...

Quote:

"Question: Does the fossil record support the idea of biological change over time (biological evolution)?

Yes. The fossil record clearly indicates...

• a progression in complexity of organisms from very simple fossil forms in the oldest rocks (>3.5 billion years old) to a broad spectrum from simple to complex forms in younger rocks,

• that some organisms that were once common are now extinct, and

• that the living organisms inhabiting our world today are similar (but generally not the same) as organisms represented as fossils in young sedimentary deposits, which in turn have evolutionary ancestors represented as fossils in yet older rocks.

Mammals, for example, are prevalent today and can be traced back in the fossil record for approximately 200 million years, but are not present as mammals in the fossil record before that; however, fossil forms that have reasonably been interpreted to be associated with the evolutionary precursors to mammals are found in older rocks.

Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."

End quote
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88181 Apr 28, 2013
This conclusion, from the Baptist Christians at the Baylor science departments, is worth repeating:

"Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."
KJV

United States

#88182 Apr 28, 2013
Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, I'm scared!
I don't believe you. You're far too arrogant to believe you could be wrong.
Pride one of the seven deadly sins.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#88183 Apr 28, 2013
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/10/my-t...

My Take: Jesus would believe in evolution and so should you
Editor's Note: Karl W. Giberson, Ph.D., is vice president of The BioLogos Foundation and is the author or coauthor of seven books, including The Language of Science and Faith.

By Karl W. Giberson, Special to CNN

Jesus once famously said,“I am the Truth.”

Christianity at its best embodies this provocative idea and has long been committed to preserving, expanding and sharing truth. Most of the great universities of the world were founded by Christians committed to the truth—in all its forms—and to training new generations to carry it forward.

When science began in the 17th century, Christians eagerly applied the new knowledge to alleviate suffering and improve living conditions.

But when it comes to the truth of evolution, many Christians feel compelled to look the other way. They hold on to a particular interpretation of an ancient story in Genesis that they have fashioned into a modern account of origins - a story that began as an oral tradition for a wandering tribe of Jews thousands of years ago.

This is the view on display in a $27 million dollar Creation Museum in Kentucky. It inspired the Institute for Creation Research, which purports to offer scientific support for creationism.

And it’s hardly a fringe view. A 2010 Gallup poll indicated that 4 in 10 Americans think that “God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so.”( http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/four-americ... )

While Genesis contains wonderful insights into the relationship between God and the creation, it simply does not contain scientific ideas about the origin of the universe, the age of the earth or the development of life.

For more than two centuries, careful scientific research, much of it done by Christians, has demonstrated clearly that the earth is billions years old, not mere thousands, as many creationists argue. We now know that the human race began millions of years ago in Africa - not thousands of years ago in the Middle East, as the story in Genesis suggests.

And all life forms are related to each other though evolution. These are important truths that science has discovered through careful research. They are not “opinions” that can be set aside if you don’t like them.

Anyone who values truth must take these ideas seriously, for they have been established as true beyond any reasonable doubt.

There is much evidence for evolution. The most compelling comes from the study of genes, especially now that the Human Genome Project has been completed and the genomes of many other species being constantly mapped.

In particular, humans share an unfortunate “broken gene” with many other primates, including chimpanzees, orangutans, and macaques. This gene, which works fine in most mammals, enables the production of Vitamin C. Species with broken versions of the gene can’t make Vitamin C and must get it from foods like oranges and lemons.

Thousands of hapless sailors died painful deaths scurvy during the age of exploration because their “Vitamin C” gene was broken.

How can different species have identical broken genes? The only reasonable explanation is that they inherited it from a common ancestor.

Not surprisingly, evolution since the time of Darwin has claimed that humans, orangutans, chimpanzees, and macaques evolved recently from a common ancestor. The new evidence from genetics corroborates this.

Such evidence proves common ancestry with a level of certainty comparable to the evidence that the earth goes around the sun.

continued...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 1 min Whiny1 1,692
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 min Stephany McDowell 162,972
what are you drinking (May '13) 3 min Karl 1,239
Have you ever? (Apr '12) 5 min Crazy Jae 6,010
Word Association (Jun '10) 13 min Lumatrix 27,685
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 13 min Lumatrix 3,523
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 13 min Lumatrix 1,823
REAL motorcycle traveling stories. 14 min Cash 28
DILF Sets 30 minute record 33 min andet1987 11
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 1 hr Crazy Jae 31,963
More from around the web