Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
82,881 - 82,900 of 114,611 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is your proof? what did plant life start out as then? Where did the dust that the Earth was created from come from? Where is the link between man and primate? There are similarities but no actual proof. So when was the moon created if it wasn't created the same time as the sun? Anyone able to take a core sample of the moon and the sun to try and carbon date them? The bible said God created the heavens and the earth, he said let there be light. Then he created animals and then man. So according to your science the bible follows the plan. What kind of argument are you trying to make with the following statement?
"it did, in fact, rain before the time of noah, or any human for that matter"
Just because it rained last year doesn't mean that it won't rain more next year. Not able to follow you on that one.
An saying the word cult make you feel better? What exactly did that add to the discussion? Because someone has an opinion different than yours you regress into name calling and insults which makes your argument less valid. I will not call you names or make fun of you or your beliefs so don't do the same to me.
are you saying plant life can live with no sunlight? really? and you say you look at things scientifically? what a joke. go back to your KJV...
Mark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The lawyers showed that Behe lied. He claimed there were no journals that addressed a particular idea and he was almost buried by publications that showed he was wrong. He was either a liar or an ignorant idiot. Either way his professional career was shot.
Sorry SD, he still has his job because he is no liar despite the hopeful claims your side makes. Your line "he is either a liar or an idiot" stereotyping all you don't agree is wrong on both counts again.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So .... when do you start telling the truth>
Can you handle it? I have told you the truth.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Can you handle it? I have told you the truth.
no, you have repeated proven lies from your cult. a cult that has been shown to be based on more proven lies and myths.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry SD, he still has his job because he is no liar despite the hopeful claims your side makes. Your line "he is either a liar or an idiot" stereotyping all you don't agree is wrong on both counts again.
it is not that sane people don't agree, it is they can prove him wrong. with verifiable facts.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Huffington Post there is still a search going on for the Ark. Is has never been disproven. Robert Ballard, the guy who found the Titanic and the Bismark, is still in search of the biblical ship. He says he is not convinced either way and that is why he is in search of the great flood. He is returning this summer to Turkey to do more research and discovery. So what evidence are you speaking of that disproved it?
You were corrected on Ballard already. There are still biblical nuts looking for the Ark. The fact that they are looking for it does not mean that Noah's Ark was disproved. There are people that seriously look for fairies, unicorns, Big Foot, and all other types of nonsense.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because of this concept called "tenure".

He has lost all respect in his field.

The problem with Behe is not that he is naturally incompetent. His problem is that his beliefs have made him blind and due to that he has become incompetent. He is like the creatards here. He keeps himself willfully ignorant of advances in science that debunked his work.

For a scientist besides lying that is the worst thing you can do.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
He may still have his job as he works for a University who is not likely to fire the nutty professor but...

http://www.lehigh.edu/~inbios/news/evolution....

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
He may still have his job as he works for a University who is not likely to fire the nutty professor but...
http://www.lehigh.edu/~inbios/news/evolution....
ow! smackdown. by his own colleagues to boot...

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
And for most Science you have to take things on FAITH. Look at the current debate on Climate Change. In the 1980's the world was going to come to an Ice Age and Now we are going to burn to death. One group of Scientists say Global Warming Exists using said data and another group using the same exact data says it is false. So even in the name of Science which is supposed to be a singular Religion not everyone agrees. There is no need to be cynical because someone believes in something you don't, won't, or can't comprehend.
Faith gives the majority of the world (cause the majority claim to believe in some form of higher power/being) a sense of belonging and peace. So let's discuss this issue rather than assault or ridicule someone because they don't buy what you are selling.
Arguing is not discussing. Name calling belittles the discussion. This is exactly why nothing gets done and this discussion delves into an argument. State facts, ideas, theories, and let others post theirs without assuming they're wrong just because they are on the other side.
I am Christian, so I grant you that there is a possibility that God may not exist because the human mind can be manipulated. I don't believe that one bit as I am certain God exists. As a non-believer can you honestly admit that there is a possibility that God exists? Because if you cannot then how can you discover the truth? Any good science experiment has to start off with all answers are possible to include the ones we don't want to have hear. Then through experiments and further data collection we begin to find the right answers. But if you are biased to the experiment that only one possible outcome exists from the beginning then you have ruined the experiment and the results will be false, even if you are right, because you failed to include true testing for the other possibilities.
Please again I encourage you all to keep your discussion based on facts and less name calling and ridicule. Just my .02
Great Post SD, very valuable .02

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"on one planet, of one star, out of trillions."
The Bible never said earth was the only place God placed life.
"You think this magical 'being' or 'thing' interferes in human affairs—is "
I believe he use to. He no longer does.
"Amazing that all the 'God given' laws were simply human men desires. "
You find this amazing? God created man and Gods rules and you find that man wanting to live by these God made rules amazing? Really?
Maybe you just never really though that part through.
So your god changes it's mind all the time, for no reason, and then claims to be unchanging. That's called a lie.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is your proof? what did plant life start out as then?
We have an extensive fossil record of how early plant life developed. Are you completely unaware of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_his...
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did the dust that the Earth was created from come from?
From the detritus left behind by the formation of our sun. All the planets, asteroids, etc. are made of it. The earth wasn't "created." It came together gradually over many millions of years primarily by the binding force of gravity.
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the link between man and primate?
Man IS a primate. Is it asking too much to suggest that you get an education before you criticize what you THINK science says?

This is our human ancestry as we know it so far. More is being learned all the time:

Ardipithecus ramidus
Australopithecus anamensis
Australopithecus afarensis
Australopithecus africanus
Australopithecus garhi
Paranthropus aethiopicus
Paranthropus boisei
Paranthropus robustus
Homo habilis
Homo rudolfensis
Homo ergaster
Homo erectus
Homo heidelbergensis
Homo neanderthalensis
Homo sapiens
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the link between man and primate? There are similarities but no actual proof.
Technically, science doesn't "prove" things finally and completely. It gathers evidence for a certain explanation (called a scientific theory) and as long as the evidence supports that theory, that is presented as what science knows, i.e. the Theory of Evolution.

ALL the evidence points toward evolution, and HAS for the last 150 years or so.

The DNA evidence alone is considered final and irrevocable "proof" of man's evolution out of earlier species in the ape family.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
All the answers I have found to be right are my copy of King James bible. So far there is nothing in there that science has dis-proven.
Science has clearly shown us that there were not, and never COULD have been, any 2 "first humans."

Homo sapiens evolved gradually out of earlier proto-human species in the ape family.

So right off the bat, your Adam and Eve story is BUSTED. And by the way, no Fall equals no original sin, equals no need to be "saved" equals no need for a "savior" equals no need to "accept Jesus as Lord and Savior" in order to avoid being tortured eternally by him.

So yes, we understand full well why fundie Jesus Freaks need to argue tenaciously for their silly, literal interpretation of the Genesis story.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
So no, science has yet to prove that God does not exist.
No one can prove a negative. Are you this dense and this poorly educated? It's up to YOU to positively prove that your God exists.

And saying "Look around you. Aren't sunsets pretty?" etc. is not proof.
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Occams Razor says that all things being equal the simplest answer tends to be the right one. So the 2 answers we have is that an omnipotent being created what we have, or that the perfect storm of dust and primordial ooze came together and formed our planet and that after millions of years we were the result. I tend to believe in God at that point.
And yet you have no proof of that God, only a faith belief instilled in you -- PROGRAMMED, really -- by your parents and cult leaders.

We, on the other hand, have plenty of scientific evidence for the origin of our solar system, our earth, and the development and evolution of plants and animal species on that earth.

So to recap: You = no evidence, just faith. We = tons of evidence in every branch of science for our positions.

Occams' Razor is totally and completely on our side, for sure, since the "simplest answer" in this or any case would be the one with massive evidence behind it, as opposed to the one espousing faith and wishful thinking.
Patriot

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If people want to know the truth, I am going to tell it as best I can. I don't really care if people like me or not, at least they won't perish for lack of knowing it.
These naysayers on here need to read Eph 5:17 "Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" . They just spew ignorant and hateful garbage, trying to dispute scripture and they have no idea about scripture. You and I just need to let them turnselves them over to their own reprobate minds and have no fellowship with them.
Patriot

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You MORON!
NOT talking about ours of the day or Roman vs. Jewish times.
It's DAY OF THE WEEK. DIFFERENT. CONTRADICTORY.
Your shallow, thoughtless boast earlier in the thread is REBUTTED.
you rebutted nothing, I told your hard head I was going to answer the days in question, I made it clear I was addressing part of the "alledged discrepancies" of time that is accounted for due to the differences in how the Hebrews counted the hours of the day as opposed to how ones counted the hours at the time of John's writing. YOU insist on being a smart @** that is too silly to know how silly you actually are. I will let you in your ignorant bliss figure it out on your own. If you want to call someone a moron you need to talk to the reflection in the mirror.I am wasting no more effort on you.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>These naysayers on here need to read Eph 5:17 "Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" . They just spew ignorant and hateful garbage, trying to dispute scripture and they have no idea about scripture. You and I just need to let them turnselves them over to their own reprobate minds and have no fellowship with them.
Actually most atheists know and understand the Bible better than most Christians. And just because we show where the Bible is wrong does not make that "hateful". Some of us may be a bit more vociferous on how your beliefs are wrong than others. Still I doubt if even the worst that is posted here could properly be called hateful.

You do realize by now that the Bible does have many errors and contradictions in it, don't you?
Patriot

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
He's got nothing. Nothing more then a buffoon. Pay him no heed. He has not once offered anything new to the form.
He's like a tick just there to suck blood and be as menacing as a tiny tick can be.
All they have is empty rhetoric and name calling. They think they are menacing, I laugh at them at how pathetic they actually are. I can eat ones like them for breakfast.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>These naysayers on here need to read Eph 5:17 "Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" . They just spew ignorant and hateful garbage, trying to dispute scripture and they have no idea about scripture. You and I just need to let them turnselves them over to their own reprobate minds and have no fellowship with them.
There was nothing "ignorant or hateful" about the clear contradictions and problems with your Bible I gave you yesterday.

What was "ignorant or hateful" about simply pointing out that Mark and John have Jesus dying on DIFFERENT DAYS!?

What was "ignorant or hateful" about simply pointing out that Mark says Jesus did the "Cleansing of the Temple" at the END of a one-year ministry, while John says Jesus Cleansed the temple at the BEGINNING of a 3-year ministry.

Whatsamatter? No real, good answers? Rather feel sorry for yourself and play the "persecuted for Jesus" card instead?
Patriot

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
and the Earth was not created with plants on it before the sun was created.
the moon was not created at the same time as the sun.
it did, in fact, rain before the time of noah, or any human for that matter.
yes, science has disproven so much in the bible that it can no longer be disputed that your god is a myth, created by man.
your cult lied to you...again...
You need read the account of Genesis there was a source of light before the sun was created, that light took care of the plants,etc before sun created. First thing God did was say "Let there be light" and there was light.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••