Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#87673 Apr 25, 2013
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is your proof? what did plant life start out as then?
We have an extensive fossil record of how early plant life developed. Are you completely unaware of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_his...
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did the dust that the Earth was created from come from?
From the detritus left behind by the formation of our sun. All the planets, asteroids, etc. are made of it. The earth wasn't "created." It came together gradually over many millions of years primarily by the binding force of gravity.
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the link between man and primate?
Man IS a primate. Is it asking too much to suggest that you get an education before you criticize what you THINK science says?

This is our human ancestry as we know it so far. More is being learned all the time:

Ardipithecus ramidus
Australopithecus anamensis
Australopithecus afarensis
Australopithecus africanus
Australopithecus garhi
Paranthropus aethiopicus
Paranthropus boisei
Paranthropus robustus
Homo habilis
Homo rudolfensis
Homo ergaster
Homo erectus
Homo heidelbergensis
Homo neanderthalensis
Homo sapiens
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the link between man and primate? There are similarities but no actual proof.
Technically, science doesn't "prove" things finally and completely. It gathers evidence for a certain explanation (called a scientific theory) and as long as the evidence supports that theory, that is presented as what science knows, i.e. the Theory of Evolution.

ALL the evidence points toward evolution, and HAS for the last 150 years or so.

The DNA evidence alone is considered final and irrevocable "proof" of man's evolution out of earlier species in the ape family.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#87674 Apr 25, 2013
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
All the answers I have found to be right are my copy of King James bible. So far there is nothing in there that science has dis-proven.
Science has clearly shown us that there were not, and never COULD have been, any 2 "first humans."

Homo sapiens evolved gradually out of earlier proto-human species in the ape family.

So right off the bat, your Adam and Eve story is BUSTED. And by the way, no Fall equals no original sin, equals no need to be "saved" equals no need for a "savior" equals no need to "accept Jesus as Lord and Savior" in order to avoid being tortured eternally by him.

So yes, we understand full well why fundie Jesus Freaks need to argue tenaciously for their silly, literal interpretation of the Genesis story.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#87675 Apr 25, 2013
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
So no, science has yet to prove that God does not exist.
No one can prove a negative. Are you this dense and this poorly educated? It's up to YOU to positively prove that your God exists.

And saying "Look around you. Aren't sunsets pretty?" etc. is not proof.
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Occams Razor says that all things being equal the simplest answer tends to be the right one. So the 2 answers we have is that an omnipotent being created what we have, or that the perfect storm of dust and primordial ooze came together and formed our planet and that after millions of years we were the result. I tend to believe in God at that point.
And yet you have no proof of that God, only a faith belief instilled in you -- PROGRAMMED, really -- by your parents and cult leaders.

We, on the other hand, have plenty of scientific evidence for the origin of our solar system, our earth, and the development and evolution of plants and animal species on that earth.

So to recap: You = no evidence, just faith. We = tons of evidence in every branch of science for our positions.

Occams' Razor is totally and completely on our side, for sure, since the "simplest answer" in this or any case would be the one with massive evidence behind it, as opposed to the one espousing faith and wishful thinking.
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#87676 Apr 25, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>If people want to know the truth, I am going to tell it as best I can. I don't really care if people like me or not, at least they won't perish for lack of knowing it.
These naysayers on here need to read Eph 5:17 "Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" . They just spew ignorant and hateful garbage, trying to dispute scripture and they have no idea about scripture. You and I just need to let them turnselves them over to their own reprobate minds and have no fellowship with them.
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#87677 Apr 25, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You MORON!
NOT talking about ours of the day or Roman vs. Jewish times.
It's DAY OF THE WEEK. DIFFERENT. CONTRADICTORY.
Your shallow, thoughtless boast earlier in the thread is REBUTTED.
you rebutted nothing, I told your hard head I was going to answer the days in question, I made it clear I was addressing part of the "alledged discrepancies" of time that is accounted for due to the differences in how the Hebrews counted the hours of the day as opposed to how ones counted the hours at the time of John's writing. YOU insist on being a smart @** that is too silly to know how silly you actually are. I will let you in your ignorant bliss figure it out on your own. If you want to call someone a moron you need to talk to the reflection in the mirror.I am wasting no more effort on you.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#87678 Apr 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>These naysayers on here need to read Eph 5:17 "Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" . They just spew ignorant and hateful garbage, trying to dispute scripture and they have no idea about scripture. You and I just need to let them turnselves them over to their own reprobate minds and have no fellowship with them.
Actually most atheists know and understand the Bible better than most Christians. And just because we show where the Bible is wrong does not make that "hateful". Some of us may be a bit more vociferous on how your beliefs are wrong than others. Still I doubt if even the worst that is posted here could properly be called hateful.

You do realize by now that the Bible does have many errors and contradictions in it, don't you?
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#87679 Apr 25, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
He's got nothing. Nothing more then a buffoon. Pay him no heed. He has not once offered anything new to the form.
He's like a tick just there to suck blood and be as menacing as a tiny tick can be.
All they have is empty rhetoric and name calling. They think they are menacing, I laugh at them at how pathetic they actually are. I can eat ones like them for breakfast.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#87680 Apr 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>These naysayers on here need to read Eph 5:17 "Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" . They just spew ignorant and hateful garbage, trying to dispute scripture and they have no idea about scripture. You and I just need to let them turnselves them over to their own reprobate minds and have no fellowship with them.
There was nothing "ignorant or hateful" about the clear contradictions and problems with your Bible I gave you yesterday.

What was "ignorant or hateful" about simply pointing out that Mark and John have Jesus dying on DIFFERENT DAYS!?

What was "ignorant or hateful" about simply pointing out that Mark says Jesus did the "Cleansing of the Temple" at the END of a one-year ministry, while John says Jesus Cleansed the temple at the BEGINNING of a 3-year ministry.

Whatsamatter? No real, good answers? Rather feel sorry for yourself and play the "persecuted for Jesus" card instead?
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#87681 Apr 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
and the Earth was not created with plants on it before the sun was created.
the moon was not created at the same time as the sun.
it did, in fact, rain before the time of noah, or any human for that matter.
yes, science has disproven so much in the bible that it can no longer be disputed that your god is a myth, created by man.
your cult lied to you...again...
You need read the account of Genesis there was a source of light before the sun was created, that light took care of the plants,etc before sun created. First thing God did was say "Let there be light" and there was light.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#87682 Apr 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>All they have is empty rhetoric and name calling. They think they are menacing, I laugh at them at how pathetic they actually are. I can eat ones like them for breakfast.
yet you cannot counter any of the facts i present. why is that?

by 'eat for lunch', you mean curl up in a ball and recite your cults mantra?

or are you going to go back to calling me a fag? that was sure a highpoint in your posting morals, wasn't it?

yeah, you sure eat me for lunch...pfft!

St. Croix valley

#87683 Apr 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>You need read the account of Genesis there was a source of light before the sun was created, that light took care of the plants,etc before sun created. First thing God did was say "Let there be light" and there was light.
yeah sure...the sun was not formed after the earth...sorry.

and where is this light now? it didn't say he took the light away, did it?

if you have to change the words of your god to make it work, it is no longer the word of a god.

how bout the moon being created at the same time as the sun? we know that didn't happen. why would a god get that wrong?

your god is a proven myth.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#87684 Apr 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>All they have is empty rhetoric and name calling. They think they are menacing, I laugh at them at how pathetic they actually are. I can eat ones like them for breakfast.
Are you two finished patting each other on the ass yet?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#87685 Apr 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>you rebutted nothing, I told your hard head I was going to answer the days in question, I made it clear I was addressing part of the "alledged discrepancies" of time that is accounted for due to the differences in how the Hebrews counted the hours of the day as opposed to how ones counted the hours at the time of John's writing. YOU insist on being a smart @** that is too silly to know how silly you actually are. I will let you in your ignorant bliss figure it out on your own. If you want to call someone a moron you need to talk to the reflection in the mirror.I am wasting no more effort on you.
Mark has Jesus eat the Pascal meal (after dark, i.e. at the beginning of the Passover first day), then get arrested, tried and executed on that Passover day.

John does not have Jesus eat a Pascal meal but get tried and executed on the Day Of Preparation for the Passover, i.e. the day the lambs are slaughtered in preparation for that night's Passover seder. john says this EXPLICITLY, as part of its agenda to present Jesus as a pascal Lamb, slaughtered for our sins, etc.

Two different days. Scholars have known this as a (ahem) "problem" for the Bible for 2000 years.

Your Bible contradicts itself. The "Word of God' wouldn't contradict itself, would it? Surely "God" knew what day he had been killed on right?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#87686 Apr 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>You need read the account of Genesis there was a source of light before the sun was created, that light took care of the plants,etc before sun created. First thing God did was say "Let there be light" and there was light.
Bwahahaha, that's a good joke.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#87687 Apr 25, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark has Jesus eat the Pascal meal (after dark, i.e. at the beginning of the Passover first day), then get arrested, tried and executed on that Passover day.
John does not have Jesus eat a Pascal meal but get tried and executed on the Day Of Preparation for the Passover, i.e. the day the lambs are slaughtered in preparation for that night's Passover seder. john says this EXPLICITLY, as part of its agenda to present Jesus as a pascal Lamb, slaughtered for our sins, etc.
Two different days. Scholars have known this as a (ahem) "problem" for the Bible for 2000 years.
Your Bible contradicts itself. The "Word of God' wouldn't contradict itself, would it? Surely "God" knew what day he had been killed on right?
Well he was rather busy that day. Perhaps he forgot to look at a calender.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#87688 Apr 25, 2013
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
Occams Razor says that all things being equal the simplest answer tends to be the right one. So the 2 answers we have is that an omnipotent being created what we have, or that the perfect storm of dust and primordial ooze came together and formed our planet and that after millions of years we were the result. I tend to believe in God at that point.
"God" is an answer to the question of creation in the same way that "Chicken" is an answer to 2+2. Barring evidence that either answer is correct, they can both be ignored.

BTW... I'll accept your non-reply to my previous post to you as approval of it contents.
bohart

Newport, TN

#87689 Apr 25, 2013
sd_mi_70 wrote:
<quoted text>
So where did the Earth come from? Can you prove that? Also these non-credible scientists have all had works published and the Global Warming scientists have been shown that they skew their results to favor policy change at the UN. For every credible scientist that claims to have Global Warming pinned down another shows that this theory is wrong. There are hundreds of sites that contradict each other and each using the exact same data. There is no thermometer that proves climate change.
The EPA and NASA have been shown that they adjust their numbers each year based on new found evidence. What others found is that the numbers look at rural and densely populated areas and instead of averaging the 2 which is what should happen, these organizations have been shown to adjust the rural temps up to match the densely populated areas where concrete, steel and other man made object collect and store heat. If you look at water you will find that at the bottom it is warmer than the middle and the surface is different than both of those. So the average temp of the water must be the true temp or should we adjust all of them to fit the theory we are trying to force on everyone?
The evidence that God created things is right there in front of you. We speak, and some of us multiple languages. How many languages can a primate learn? Think a gorilla learns to speak spider monkey or knows chimpanzee? Man was created by God in my opinion. Science can't disprove that as of yet as science still cannot prove where or even when the Earth was created. Take the Grand Canyon. How was the Grand Canyon created? My guess is that you believe what they tried to teach us in school and that a river cut through it over the years. Some scientists went and looked and found that the landscape of the edges would suggest that in order for the water to cut through the land it would have to have flowed upwards. Water simply would not have done that and it would have went around. It is more likely that the land was flooded and that when the water receded, like we see with mud puddles, and the land dried that it cracked in a weakened area.
So no, science has yet to prove that God does not exist. Occams Razor says that all things being equal the simplest answer tends to be the right one. So the 2 answers we have is that an omnipotent being created what we have, or that the perfect storm of dust and primordial ooze came together and formed our planet and that after millions of years we were the result. I tend to believe in God at that point.
You are correct, the simplist and most logical answer for life is a creator.A pool of dust and sludge requires too much faith.

St. Croix valley

#87690 Apr 25, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, the simplist and most logical answer for life is a creator.A pool of dust and sludge requires too much faith.
outside of the fact that there isn't one shred of evidence of any creator at all...

not really that simple if you have to invent a creator.

Level 2

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#87691 Apr 25, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Salma, evolution IS filled with enough facts that it's considered true now....but it will always be called 'The Theory of Evolution'
Are you a Muslim or Christian?
What facts are you refering to? Why are we not still evolving?
bohart

Newport, TN

#87692 Apr 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>outside of the fact that there isn't one shred of evidence of any creator at all...
not really that simple if you have to invent a creator.
and really ,really not that simple if you have to believe in a primordal sludge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Mar '10) 8 min Mega Monster 17,014
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 13 min Bev Roxon 10,716
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 15 min Trapper John MD 7,280
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 19 min Doug77 5,232
Offbeat- Male or Female? (Oct '13) 19 min Trapper John MD 653
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 24 min Jeffrey 140,112
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 27 min _FLATLINE-------- 3,158
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 57 min I Am No One_ 161,446
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 1 hr rosa 28,865
Things that make life eaiser... 2 hr rosa 114