Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 197404 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#87517 Apr 24, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
From my understanding of Creation, I do not think time had any bearing on the miracle of it. We do have insight into the kingdom of heaven and Jesus said it began very small and it was less than all beginning and then it branched out. The Word of God caused all things and Jesus knew how it happened.
why didn't jesus correct gods mistaken account of the creation then? he corrected the other mistakes made by the infallible god...

St. Croix valley

#87518 Apr 24, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I got interested in finding who it was that spoke back to me one night out of fuel, in a storm, in the mtns with a partial panel plus part of my landing gear gone 100nm N of Kotz. Also the extra 10 gals of gas was nice. As I said before, I was a perfect evo until then, cockpit conversion so to speak. I searched and I found. That's not a brainwashing. I was holding an egg this evening and thinking how much work it would be for you folks to explain the evo of that process, and who is really being fooled here! God is proven to exist by what has been made, what you can feel, see, hear, smell and taste. Even the eyes you use to read this comment are a wonderful gift, not formed by blind chance.
Jesus said "If you don't believe what Moses wrote, you will never believe what I say". One thing Moses didn't write was - "In Six Days". So when you tell us Moses is discredited what are you calling Christ? You are braver than I my friend.
I thought exactly like you guys, that people who "believe" were nice, a little stupid and certainly unscientific. I tell you what, if you say you folks are objective, scientific and fair minded, open to argument and sound logic, then I challenge you to read Denton and Behe then come back and tell me I'm the fool to my face and I will buy dinner.
if the existence of an egg, or our world is proof of god, then it is also proof of every other creation myth. what you really just said is there are thousands of gods proven...
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#87519 Apr 24, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it that you think circular-reasoning (i.e. The Bible is true because it says so in the Bible) is an acceptable way to argue for anything?
Stating the bible is true becasue it says so is equivilent to saying Day time is light and nighttime is dark. It is self evident.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#87520 Apr 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>becasue you never seem to realize how stupid it is that people use the bible to prove the bible is true.
by your logic, anything ever written down is true, because it was written down.
The source of credibility is the author more rather than what is being written down. There are some folks if they were to write down day is light and night is dark I would still have trouble believing them.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#87521 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Stating the bible is true becasue it says so is equivilent to saying Day time is light and nighttime is dark. It is self evident.
So basically anything that can be claimed in writing can be accepted as 'truth' as long as that same writing is used as support for the claim? or does that line of 'reasoning' only apply to your beliefs and all other similar claims are dismissed because they don't agree with your beliefs?

St. Croix valley

#87522 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>The source of credibility is the author more rather than what is being written down. There are some folks if they were to write down day is light and night is dark I would still have trouble believing them.
yet that is exactly what the bible does often, and you suck it up like a hoover.

cult mentality...

and how does the author GET credibility? by a long history of putting out true facts. your bible does not have such credibility. and the myth of divine inspiration has been proven false, so there is not one single author, but hundreds of humans putting out their personal opinions and cultural myths.

St. Croix valley

#87523 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Stating the bible is true becasue it says so is equivilent to saying Day time is light and nighttime is dark. It is self evident.
no, no it is not. in fact, the lies and falsehoods in the bible have been shown to you numerous times, so you , in fact, know what you just stated is a lie.

yet you continue to lie for your cult...i bet you cannot even help it at this point in your indoctrination.

Location hidden

#87524 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>The source of credibility is the author more rather than what is being written down. There are some folks if they were to write down day is light and night is dark I would still have trouble believing them.
LOL! That's funny since very little, if any, of your bible can be attributed to anyone in particular.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#87525 Apr 24, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Sponatanous generation of life
Really? You mean like,'poof', with a cloud of smoke? Although highly unlikely, it would be a very cool thing to see. Kinda like a rabbit being pulled out of a hat.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#87526 Apr 24, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>So basically anything that can be claimed in writing can be accepted as 'truth' as long as that same writing is used as support for the claim? or does that line of 'reasoning' only apply to your beliefs and all other similar claims are dismissed because they don't agree with your beliefs?
You did quite a bit of work to twist what I said. Just because something is written does not make it true or false, one must consider the source from where the information comes from. Truth is truth whether agress with it or accepts it.

“too hard to handle”

Level 4

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#87527 Apr 24, 2013
Historian wrote:
The relative modern Christian lacks the capacity to understand the divergence between righteousness and self righteousness.
Let us,PLEASE,just get along with one another.
The modern christian has to realize that the world, and christianity does not revolve around him.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#87528 Apr 24, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I got interested in finding who it was that spoke back to me one night out of fuel, in a storm, in the mtns with a partial panel plus part of my landing gear gone 100nm N of Kotz. Also the extra 10 gals of gas was nice. As I said before, I was a perfect evo until then, cockpit conversion so to speak. I searched and I found. That's not a brainwashing. I was holding an egg this evening and thinking how much work it would be for you folks to explain the evo of that process, and who is really being fooled here! God is proven to exist by what has been made, what you can feel, see, hear, smell and taste. Even the eyes you use to read this comment are a wonderful gift, not formed by blind chance.
Jesus said "If you don't believe what Moses wrote, you will never believe what I say". One thing Moses didn't write was - "In Six Days". So when you tell us Moses is discredited what are you calling Christ? You are braver than I my friend.
I thought exactly like you guys, that people who "believe" were nice, a little stupid and certainly unscientific. I tell you what, if you say you folks are objective, scientific and fair minded, open to argument and sound logic, then I challenge you to read Denton and Behe then come back and tell me I'm the fool to my face and I will buy dinner.
Personally I don’t disbelieve miracles Mark, in fact had an experience myself when I was young. Although I don’t necessarily agree with the comment "I thought exactly like you guys" because we do not know how "you guys" think, I do in fact believe in God. But you cannot dismiss Science, and the power of evolution. In fact evolution in itself is a miracle - A miracle of nature. How God is intertwined into the fabric of nature and vice versa to me is a phenomenon that need not be explained by a book, or by facts. There are no facts, just personal beliefs on how it all ties together. And as you have eloquently pointed out, it is truly a miracle.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#87529 Apr 24, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! That's funny since very little, if any, of your bible can be attributed to anyone in particular.
The bible is in harmony, it was written over a period of approximately 1400 years by about 40 writers from different backgrounds. No man made literature over the same time period and by different authors would have total agreement as the inspired writers had. If you and others would spend time studying scripture rather than going on just what you hear you would know what scripture says.Since you all have very little idea (if any) of what scripture says it is silly trying to refute scripture that you do not know what it says. The ignorance of one the other day on e Paul's apostleship was blatant and they were trying to argue against it but had next to zero clue about Paul.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#87530 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>The bible is in harmony, it was written over a period of approximately 1400 years by about 40 writers from different backgrounds. No man made literature over the same time period and by different authors would have total agreement as the inspired writers had. If you and others would spend time studying scripture rather than going on just what you hear you would know what scripture says.Since you all have very little idea (if any) of what scripture says it is silly trying to refute scripture that you do not know what it says. The ignorance of one the other day on e Paul's apostleship was blatant and they were trying to argue against it but had next to zero clue about Paul.
The Bible is not in "harmony". Like any other work of man there are quite a few inconsistencies and self contradictions in the Bible:

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#87531 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>The bible is in harmony, it was written over a period of approximately 1400 years by about 40 writers from different backgrounds. No man made literature over the same time period and by different authors would have total agreement as the inspired writers had. If you and others would spend time studying scripture rather than going on just what you hear you would know what scripture says.Since you all have very little idea (if any) of what scripture says it is silly trying to refute scripture that you do not know what it says. The ignorance of one the other day on e Paul's apostleship was blatant and they were trying to argue against it but had next to zero clue about Paul.
Interesting, don't you think, that the various Christian sects don't agree on the number of books to be included in the bible.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#87532 Apr 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet that is exactly what the bible does often, and you suck it up like a hoover.
cult mentality...
and how does the author GET credibility? by a long history of putting out true facts. your bible does not have such credibility. and the myth of divine inspiration has been proven false, so there is not one single author, but hundreds of humans putting out their personal opinions and cultural myths.
You have produced ZERO evidence of lies from the bible, you just quoted some unknown baloney from some hayseed either real or imagined or something you came up with trying to refute scripture which you know very little about.
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#87533 Apr 24, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! That's funny since very little, if any, of your bible can be attributed to anyone in particular.
You can credit your mentor Anton LeVay with his bible right? I read some of it just for curosity sake his satanic bible. It is obvious he wore a hat that was too tight on his head.I bet you would take what he wrote down as "the gospel" and it should be believed and accepted without queston.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#87534 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>The bible is in harmony, it was written over a period of approximately 1400 years by about 40 writers from different backgrounds. No man made literature over the same time period and by different authors would have total agreement as the inspired writers had.
It's easy for a book to have "harmony" if it was compiled LONG AFTER THE BOOKS WERE WRITTEN.

Many scriptures about Jesus and Christianity were LEFT OUT because they did not fit the prevailing orthodoxy of the time.

And yet still your Bible contradicts itself in many places.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Mark and John have Jesus dying on completely different DAYS. That's not "harmonious," is it?

Also, Mark says Jesus did the "Cleansing of the Temple" at the END of a one-year ministry.

John says Jesus Cleansed the temple at the BEGINNING of a 3-year ministry.

Which is correct?

Location hidden

#87535 Apr 24, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>You did quite a bit of work to twist what I said. Just because something is written does not make it true or false, one must consider the source from where the information comes from. Truth is truth whether agress with it or accepts it.
no work at all, just simple logic.

How can you 'consider the source' of the bible as 'reliable', when the 'source' is merely a claim of divine inspiration with nothing but the book to support it?
Patriot

Nashville, TN

#87536 Apr 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easy for a book to have "harmony" if it was compiled LONG AFTER THE BOOKS WERE WRITTEN.
Many scriptures about Jesus and Christianity were LEFT OUT because they did not fit the prevailing orthodoxy of the time.
And yet still your Bible contradicts itself in many places.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Mark and John have Jesus dying on completely different DAYS. That's not "harmonious," is it?
Also, Mark says Jesus did the "Cleansing of the Temple" at the END of a one-year ministry.
John says Jesus Cleansed the temple at the BEGINNING of a 3-year ministry.
Which is correct?
Jesus cleansed the temple on his first visit there after his ministry began. Show me the passages which contradict the time it was done.Also show me where Mark and John having him dying on different days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post any FOUR words 1 min andet1987 787
Favorite Bible Verses (Apr '10) 4 min only one 1,586
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 5 min Jennifer Renee 17,589
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 6 min Dont_You_Dare 2,509
Only Three Word (Nov '09) 7 min andet1987 13,191
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 8 min CJ Rocker 190,802
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 11 min Dont_You_Dare 144,814
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 19 min CJ Rocker 2,554
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 28 min Spotted Girl 2,355
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 46 min Words of Advice 32,122
More from around the web