Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223290 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Eristotle

Indianapolis, IN

#85142 Apr 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, evolutionists use the facts available. creationsist have not one fact to use...they have to use faith in proven lies..
"evolutionists use the facts available"...and reinterpret them as more facts come to light...keep digging.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#85143 Apr 6, 2013
Eristotle wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't my scientific method...those are examples of how the scientific method works.
New theories don't change old minds so much as get accepted by new people coming to the same conclusions of a new theory...and the old theories die off with the old minds.
That's the history of science.
do you think that has, and will continue to change with the advent of the interweb adn the entire world scientific community being able to communicate instantly?
Eristotle

Indianapolis, IN

#85144 Apr 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>do you think that has, and will continue to change with the advent of the interweb adn the entire world scientific community being able to communicate instantly?
It may be easier to reach a consensus (climate change nee global warming) but in the end science fact will prevail... as Gallileo could tell us, patience will be required.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#85145 Apr 6, 2013
"New theories don't change old minds so much as get accepted by new people coming to the same conclusions of a new theory...and the old theories die off with the old minds."
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>do you think that has, and will continue to change with the advent of the interweb adn the entire world scientific community being able to communicate instantly?
This isn't true , scientists do change position as "new evidence" is discovered. Einstein did about a static universe, as many other do when new evidence is presented. Even Steven Hawking changed hid mind about entropy and black holes. As does science in general as evidence is discovered.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#85146 Apr 6, 2013
Eristotle wrote:
<quoted text>
"evolutionists use the facts available"...and reinterpret them as more facts come to light...keep digging.
That's called a "Learning Process".

How much has religion learned or processed lately?
KJV

United States

#85147 Apr 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>EVERY fundie thinks they have God on their side, be they Jew, Muslim, Hindu or Christian. The things they all have in common is a complete lack of evidence, and they totally suck at debate.(shrug) If you have God on your side then it's about as useful as a rubber crutch.
"EVERY fundie thinks they have God on their side, be they Jew, Muslim, Hindu or Christian."

For good reason! They are right.
Eristotle

Indianapolis, IN

#85148 Apr 6, 2013
It's been fun...see ya next week
KJV

United States

#85150 Apr 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Sure you do.

So why haven't you presented it yet instead of spamming a shitload of apologetics?
Fruit? LOL

More like BBQ!

St. Croix valley

#85151 Apr 6, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"EVERY fundie thinks they have God on their side, be they Jew, Muslim, Hindu or Christian."
For good reason! They are right.
so there are multiple gods? good to know...

any proof of even one of them?

St. Croix valley

#85152 Apr 6, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>That's called a "Learning Process".
How much has religion learned or processed lately?
they just apologized to Galileo...that's progress.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#85153 Apr 6, 2013
Eristotle wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I just take it on faith that that's the way it happened...same way the creationists and the evolutionists do.
There is little faith in the systematic categorization of physical evidence. Haven't you ever been to the Museum of natural history?
Smithsonian or even attempted to learn "higher learning"?
People make such statements in light of the insurmountable evidence at hand , tend to be labeled in deficit of understanding.
Do you want to be labeled as such?
KJV

United States

#85154 Apr 6, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>You have evidence of God???

May I 'see' it?
"May I 'see' it?"

I don't think so, atheist seem to have blinders on.
KJV

United States

#85155 Apr 6, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>“The proposition that "Jesus Christ" never existed relies on much more than simply stating that we don't have evidence for his existence or that the Gospels are unbelievable. Showing that the story of Jesus Christ is not based on a person in any meaningful way requires showing that the story of Jesus Christ is better explained as having developed through non-historical methods than it is through historical methods.

We can identify literary sources and traditions that are not only capable of providing all of the material for the Jesus story, but indeed it is clear that the Jesus story is developed from these source materials, and this fact undermines the possibility that the stories are based on observed historical events.

If the crucifixion of Jesus were based on an observed historical event, then we should not expect that virtually every line of the crucifixion narrative comes from existing Hebrew scriptures (including themes that were mistranslated in the Greek sources that were used).

Not only does the scriptural basis of the Jesus stories undermine their historical credibility, but we also have historical facts, or lack thereof, which corroborate Jesus' absence of existence….

….Not only can Christianity be explained without a real historical Jesus at its core, but the historical facts that we do have are best explained if Jesus never existed.”

http://rationalrevolution.net/articles/jesus_...
BC. AD

Before Christ
In the year of our Lord.

Nuf said.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Level 3

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#85156 Apr 6, 2013
Eristotle wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I just take it on faith that that's the way it happened...same way the creationists and the evolutionists do.
How did you conclude that all creationists think the same way?! I dont build my understanding on faith! I build my understanding on absolute truths! Just because I am a creationists do not mean I think just like every-one you encounter who you label a creationist!

I am a non-religious and non-faithful creationist who only accepts and speak in absolute truths. I dont need faith to know GOD exists or to prove what morality is a simplified absolute truth and neither does anyone else who know how to choose for them-selves wisely!

People make their own decisions and have their own personal propaganda regardless what they call them-selves, all you need to do is just listen to the way they talk about how reality supposed to be.

Majority of people let their biased or prejudice ways in thinking (which leads to their emotions) influence their decision making. You cant do this when you speak about how reality (nature) works, because then your biased and prejudice way of thinking affects other people lives by the creation of civil or governmental laws on a universal scale because these laws are manifested by their flawed way of thinking!

These politicians, advisors and scientist and the presidents of any country fail to realize this and this is why we have conflict different laws in different countries which eventually lead to wars, which all originate from a human biased or prejudice way of thinking about how reality supposed to be and benefit humanity as a whole.

Each and every individual has the power by choice (freedom) to change his/her way of thinking! NO EXCUSES!

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

arte et marte

#85157 Apr 6, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
BC. AD
Before Christ
In the year of our Lord.
Nuf said.
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/32...

13 down vote

There are a few issues with BC/AD:
Miscalculation

A.D. 1 was first calculated in the first millenium based on available knowledge at the time. Later on, it was found Jesus likely wasn't born that year, but a few years earlier (i.e., in the somewhat ironic 34 B.C. area). Marking it as the "Christian Era" (or more commonly, the "Common Era") allows the same epoch to be used even though the best calculation for Jesus's birth has changed.
Globalization

While Christians make up a very large chunk of the world's population, they are no where near the majority. Most organizations and political entities, for the sake of convenience, have adopted the Western calendar, but "Anno Domini"/"Before Christ" are meaningless terms. Replacing it with "Common Era"/"Before Common Era" reinforces the notion of a global, common epoch starting at the height of the Roman Empire.

When "Christian Era" is used, it's still clear what epoch is being referred to (i.e. the Western one) without having to have some special knowledge about what "anno domini" means or who Christ is.

St. Croix valley

#85158 Apr 6, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
BC. AD
Before Christ
In the year of our Lord.
Nuf said.
BCE and CE, now.

why are the names of our days not christian? is your god weaker than the norse gods? you already admitted there are multiple gods...

St. Croix valley

#85159 Apr 6, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"May I 'see' it?"
I don't think so, atheist seem to have blinders on.
if you had it. it would have shown it the hundreds of times previously you have been asked for it...

you are living a known lie...cult members do that.
KJV

United States

#85160 Apr 6, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>When you make statements like this, you are just demonstrating a level of ignorance that really undercuts any further argument you might make.

It's the equivalent of saying: "I'm not a mammal, I'm human"
Or "I'm not an animal with a spinal cord, I'm human".

I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't understand why either of those two statements poses a problem and explain it to you.

You have mammary glands, therefore you are a mammal. All humans are mammals.

You have a spinal cord, all humans have spinal cords.

You can be both things, they are not contradictory.

You are an ape. All humans are apes. To claim you aren't is just to demonstrate a profound ignorance of what the word means.

[QUOTE](Smirk)
"

I find it endlessly amusing that you would "smirk" after displaying your own ignorance.

Seriously, when we read posts like this, we think about the mentally deficient people who ride the little buses. The people who smear their own sh1t in their hair and proclaim: "I'm pretty! I'm pretty!".

No, M. You aren't pretty. You have sh1t in your hair.
"When you make statements like this, you are just demonstrating a level of ignorance that really undercuts any further argument you might make."

This statement shows you are a complete fool.

Did the Black people not like being called the "N" word?

Did Native American women like being called Squaws?

Do Gays like being called faggot?

Calling Christians apes is the same thing. Sorry people like you are so blind to that. Because a group of people decide to call humans apes does not make them correct or the absolute authority on the matter.

Call yourself what you like, and if you like the label ape then wear it proudly.
Don't be offended when others call you what you have labeled yourself.

Christians are not of the ape family like it or not. Our God created us in his image and there was no need to mutate.
KJV

United States

#85161 Apr 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so there are multiple gods? good to know...

any proof of even one of them?
Yes

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#85162 Apr 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>they just apologized to Galileo...that's progress.
Laffin.

Baby steps...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 min Faith 34,806
News Bizarre excuses for not filling in tax returns ... 19 min Pardon Pard 1
News Bravest dog in the world takes on 11ft CROCODIL... 20 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 26 min HashTagME2 227,180
True False Game (Jun '11) 36 min Hoosier Hillbilly 16,227
What is your favorite sandwich? 44 min Crystal Clear 0722 13
Obama In Cross-hairs After Raid 46 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 6,954
More from around the web