Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199200 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#84169 Apr 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Mutation is fact, but not on a larger scale as in macro-evolution unless you have DNA evidence.
Such as ERV's, pseudogenes, and ubiquitous proteins.

Not to mention the fossil record, biogeography, embryology, atavisms, rudimentary organs, laboratory experiments.

You say micro-evolution is closed - but you are the one making a claim you cannot defend. If micro-evolution continues for long enough we have...macro-evolution. Unless you can find the invisible barrier limiting micro-evolution, you have nothing.

Level 6

Location hidden

#84170 Apr 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with the phylogenetic tree. It shows the variations and similarities in all life forms. But to infer that one evolved from another is an exaggeration. Hyperbole!
Evolution is an explanation for the phylogenetic tree that we observe, based on observable processes. And its made numerous predictions about what we should expect to observe, and been validated.

No creationist expected to find a series of ape/hominid fossils in the records. Darwin predicted them. They were found. Evolution explains why. Creationism is awkwardly silent on the issue, except when creating conspiracy theories as to why empirical reality failed to match THEIR predictions.

Level 6

Location hidden

#84171 Apr 1, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Show me where in Germany, English is spoken as a first language?
Get a clue on history and linguistic.
English started in England. The people of England are regarded as the English while Germany are regarded as Germans. Don't be clueless.
While you prattle for months about this, you fail to see the interesting part.

People who came to England speaking a dialect of German gradually changed the language into something quite different. Step by step it became the English language, and at every point, the son understood the father. Yet over centuries, the English speakers could no longer understand the German speakers they shared a common language root with.

So it is with evolution. That is how speciation works.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Level 3

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#84172 Apr 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the mechanism is much like a computer virus. Each virus has its own target. A cold virus is the same as the worm virus where it's designed to spread. HIV virus are like flame virus where it destroys its target. So yes, viruses are very specific even if it is randomly spread.
These people who have opposing ideas with you don’t believe in absolutes but yet make them by stating there are no absolutes. The truth you are trying to get them to understand does not exist in their mind.

The scientific method they use have a serious flaw in it because it states all evidence must be falsifiable and a discovered truth is not falsifiable because it’s an absolute observed in nature. This is when the scientific method that they use reject the discovered truth you are trying to prove. You know and I know the truth is flawless and because of this flawless the scientific method has to reject it.

You must first show them the scientific method is flawed by rejecting absolutes in nature. An absolute is simply saying that’s just the way nature works and you can’t disprove it. Reality is an absolute and it’s not falsifiable because we exist and that’s just the way it is.
FREE SERVANT
#84173 Apr 1, 2013
Is nature and life in general evolving from simple to more complex forms, or is it relaying meaning and scope about the environment to each kind of living thing? Just as many languages change over time so does life and shortened forms of a word or phrase are sometimes used to represent a whole statement or description exactly in the scope or meaning. This is just how the system works.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#84174 Apr 1, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles, I truly wish I had the answer to all the bad in the word.
All I can do as an individual is live a good life, bring up my children to be good citizens and live a life without drugs or evil.
We contribute to charities and help the community and generally try to set good examples to those around us.
People in this world are always going to subject themselves to some risks. No way around it...it comes with the territory
Hmmmmn.

Level 2

Location hidden

#84175 Apr 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Actually a great many believers are educated and understand the universe way better than you evolution deniers.
After all it was a priest that envisioned the big bang.
Something you are so hostile to such an idea, it's a very curious thing. This rabid denial on one hand, but envisioning and embracing it on the other. Truly religion and it's sacred truths are manufactured in the eye of the beholder.
But education is the one thing that puts believers and atheists on the same boat and agreeing , on a great many things.
Just one disagreement exists between some scientists.
Likewise. Just as they can not deny the creation's account. Vice versa.

Level 2

Location hidden

#84176 Apr 1, 2013
James Bond OO7 wrote:
<quoted text> instead of being a hiden theisist behind the gigantic clouds of stupidity, it'd be better to become a scientific theisist....this might be ur answer u take it right...all the religions and it's theories were made up for the purposes of human civilization/modernization
Hello Mr. Ignorant.
FREE SERVANT
#84177 Apr 1, 2013
Could these so-called mutations have a purpose as a leading indicator of sorts? Nature may be providing living things with predicters such as mutagens that ar agents capble of altering a cells genetic pattern and a measurable factor that changes before the whole system starts to follow a particular pattern may be required to anticipate and speculate trends in the environment.

Level 2

Location hidden

#84178 Apr 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Actually that's a quote, here is another from Britannica.
English language, West Germanic language of the Indo-European language family that is closely related to Frisian, German, and Dutch languages.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/188...
So why do you have a problem with definitions?
Do you really love arguments?
I am very much aware of that. But i also want you to know that, Germanic language is not German alone but includes German, Dutch, English, Danish, etc. Think!
Bigfoot

United States

#84179 Apr 1, 2013
Nothing can evolve without first being created.
FREE SERVANT
#84180 Apr 1, 2013
Bigfoot wrote:
Creation of all life was a miracle that must have happened at once and in varity, in the beginning.

Level 2

Location hidden

#84181 Apr 1, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
While you prattle for months about this, you fail to see the interesting part.
People who came to England speaking a dialect of German gradually changed the language into something quite different. Step by step it became the English language, and at every point, the son understood the father. Yet over centuries, the English speakers could no longer understand the German speakers they shared a common language root with.
So it is with evolution. That is how speciation works.
What is your headache, Nimb?
Are you also saying that, Danish, Dutch, Frisia, etc, are all offsprings of German? NO!
They are evolved from the same source( Teutons) around Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands.

Level 2

Location hidden

#84182 Apr 1, 2013
Bigfoot wrote:
Exactly.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#84183 Apr 1, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
The foundation to my method of reasoning is FLAWLESS. The foundation to your method of pseudo-scientific reasoning is flawed. You got it all backwards. You are a false (pseudo) truth seeker and all you are doing is speaking in illogical/foolish ways. Either you fail to realize this for unknown reasons or you are not capably willing to handling reality for what it is.
Science is the search for truth and if you are a true truth seeker you will realize the truth is an absolute. You fail to realize this and make absolute statements and fail to realize you’re violating you’re your own pseudo-scientific method of reasoning by stating this statement in your above quote,“NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE”.
Now may I ask you in your pseudo-scientific method of reasoning,“IS YOUR CONTRADICTORY STATEMENT “NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE” FALSABILE?
When you make the statement NOTHING you excluded ALL things in this PHYSICAL universe. Nothing is an absolute because you concluded it’s impossible to prove because if I have nothing to make an argument with to prove my absolute then it’s IMPOSSIBLE for me to prove you wrong. HOW CAN I PROVE YOU WRONG IF I HAVE NOTHING TO CHALLENGE IT? You said nothing, how in the heck can you exclude this entire physical universe evidence so I cannot use any of its evidence to try and dis-prove it?
You’re doing nothing here but making yourself look foolish and you sir\mamn is the un-scientific one!
YOU JUST CONCLUDED USING YOUR PSEUDO-SCIENTIFIC METHOD THHAT REALITY DOES NOT EXIST!

You're a real hoot but it won't change the falsifiability requirement of the scientific method.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Level 3

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#84184 Apr 1, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
Could these so-called mutations have a purpose as a leading indicator of sorts? Nature may be providing living things with predicters such as mutagens that ar agents capble of altering a cells genetic pattern and a measurable factor that changes before the whole system starts to follow a particular pattern may be required to anticipate and speculate trends in the environment.
Empirical evidence that proves genetic mutations is not beneficial in the laws of nature.
>>>> http://www.ibtimes.com/chilling-images-human-...

Laws of nature do not contradict its self and remains constant in the law of non-contradiction.

With this said mutations cannot be (mutations means beneficial and not beneficial) and is a clear violation of the law of non-contradiction found in nature.

Nature never contradict itself and when it shows mutations is bad it is ALWAYS( constant principle) bad because if it changes from bad to good it would violate the law of non-contradiction and this is an absolute truth validated with empirical evidence in nature (non-invented by man). TIME IS IRRELEVANT TO THE CONSTANT PRINCIPLE!

But guess what the scientific method flawed rule invented by man says… We must reject the law of non-contradiction because it cannot be falsifiable because I just provided an absolute truth exist in nature called the genetic mutation.

NOW WATCH HOW THESE FOOLISH/ILLOGICAL PEOPLE USE THERE FLAWED MAN MADE CONCEPT FOUND IN THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD TO DISPROVE AN ABSOLUTE TRUTH WHICH IS VALIDTED BY THE LAW O F NON-CONTRADICTION! OBSERVE HOW FOOLISH/ILLOGICAL THESE PEOPLE TRYING TO DOSPROVE AN ABSOLUTE TRUTH!

HENCE, YOUR JESUS EITHER EXISTS OR DOESN’T. YOU CANNOT SAY JESUS EXISTS IN SOME CASES AND NOT OTHER CASES BECAUSE THIS WOULD BE A VIOLATION OF THE “LAW OF NON CONTRADICTION”!
Eristotle

Indianapolis, IN

#84185 Apr 1, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What is your headache, Nimb?
Are you also saying that, Danish, Dutch, Frisia, etc, are all offsprings of German? NO!
They are evolved from the same source( Teutons) around Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands.
And all of those are part of the "Indo-European" family of languages, that also include Italian, Spanish, French and many others. And all are still evolving.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#84186 Apr 1, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are merely suggesting simple excuses rules out by researchers years ago.
But also, you have to consider all of the genomic evidence, not just ERVs.
Pseudogenes show the same nested hierarchy of variation pointing to common ancestry.
Ubiquitous proteins (those found widely in living organisms of all types) also show a nested hierarchy of variation.
For the ERV's, pseudogenes, and ubiquitous proteins, not to mention the fossil record, its essentially the SAME nested hierarchy. Each independently confirms the nested hierarchy predicted by evolution.
Now THAT is a Slam Dunk for common ancestry, and evolution is the only scientific theory that explains common, branching ancestry in a nested hierarchy. In fact evolution demands it.
I have watched as creationists first try to dismantle these independent lines of evidence one by one with special pleading and discredited alternatives, then in desperation try to trivialise the nested hierarchy itself hoping it will go away. They are on a hiding to nothing.
Slam Dunk.
Like I said, perhaps the closer the DNA between two species, the more likely there will have similarities in ERV insertions. You have not provided what specific virus were found in chimps, gorillas, and humans that shows proof of nested hierarchy.

If these alleles in ERVs have become fixed in populations, then how come some humans have ERVs that other humans don't?

Eristotle

Indianapolis, IN

#84187 Apr 1, 2013
If some animals today are classified as endangered because of numbers too low to constitute a breeding population, who did a single ape-to-human mutation procreate with?
Bigfoot

United States

#84188 Apr 1, 2013
Eristotle wrote:
If some animals today are classified as endangered because of numbers too low to constitute a breeding population, who did a single ape-to-human mutation procreate with?
Everything taste like chicken. "A Chicken"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 7 min _FLATLINE-------- 82,111
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 31 min Bezeer 13,550
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 34 min Bezeer 11,510
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 35 min Bezeer 17,999
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 35 min Grace Nerissa 56,766
Word Association (Mar '10) 1 hr wichita-rick 20,391
2words into 2new words (May '12) 1 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 2,178
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 192,750
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 3 hr Jack 7,418
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 6 hr razz58 7,192