Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 218808 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Gillette

Packwood, IA

#83063 Mar 26, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Heard the eye evolution story, started out as a sensitive spot on an amoeba, comforting stuff like that. A good story for a 3 year old at bed time it seems to me.
Unfortunately for you, 3-year olds can almost understand science's point here, since we happened to have myriad examples in both the plant and animal kingdoms of light-sensitive patches, plants with the rudimentary ability to sense light, etc. In other words, the more complex eyes of mammals are on display in their earlier, proto forms in nature all around us.

Meanwhile, all the crackpot creationists can do is wring their hands and say, "But, Garsh, it's all so COMPLICATED it had to be done by Jesus!"
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Why and how would an amoeba decide it needed an eye?
It WOULDN'T you idiot. For the 20th time, natural selection is NOT a conscious, directed process. There is no GOAL to evolution Whatever is suited to its environment survives and thrives and spreads. Nothing has to be PERFECT, just good enough (cf. the human eye, with its crossed wiring and hinky design).
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as an accurate stmt about what Darwin said or didn't say, I give you that, he does honestly struggle with the issue, I give him that.
Would you also give me that you dishonest Jesus Freaks will lie like crazy in the service of your Lord? Your Lady Hope was an inveterate liar, apparently.
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodness, with all that effort to discover something on his trip, finches beaks are still the same 150 years later.
Not likely to see much evolution within a 150-year span in a large, complex creature like a bird. But you know that, don't you. LOL
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Time became the creator.
No, liar, the LONG passage of time allows the undirected process of evolution (gene mutation, genetic drift and sexual recombination PLUS natural selection) to do its work -- no more, no less.
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the story of the Princess that kisses the frog and gets her prince = a fairy tale, so your side starts with a frog and add's 500 mil years and ends with the same prince and that = scientific?
You're an asshole and I'm wasting my time, I know but....on the off chance that someone intelligent is reading along...

From one generation to another, a dog always produces a dog. Science would agree with that.

However, that first offspring (call it Generation 1) is always slightly different from its parents, due to the combination of parental genes and to gene mutations.

Now if you followed Generation 1 to Generation 2, 3, 4, 5--- etc. all the way to Generation 1 MILLION, a million years later, you would probably find that the offspring called Generation 1,000,000 is SO different from Generation 1 that the two species would no longer be able to mate with one another and science would therefore classify it as a new and different species.

THIS is what science says happens in the Theory of Evolution -- not a fish coming out of a rock.
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#83064 Mar 26, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they now tell us we came from “nocturnal tree dwellers” now, an opossum. They have 2 penises, where the previous connecting species has one, as does the Lemur after the opossum,(that’s a leap!) did his sex drive wake up his DNA one day and say boy, I like that? I actually think that I didn’t come from such a line of creatures, bad heritage you know. How is that different from your amoeba eye story!
This is just a pile of nonsense. You aren't even intelligent enough to be properly sarcastic. LOL

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#83065 Mar 26, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but for every archaeological find that supports your myths there's another that falsifies it - at least if you're a YEC that is. I suppose (if I'm being generous) there really COULD have been an Adam and Eve, on a planet with an already large human populous.
From your premise, if that is really true.
The religions( Judaism and Christianity) based on the bible, would have been history, but the reverse was the case.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#83067 Mar 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> From your premise, if that is really true.
The religions( Judaism and Christianity) based on the bible, would have been history, but the reverse was the case.
Religion is always readjusting itself to stay currant....it has to or it becomes irrelevant.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#83068 Mar 26, 2013
“In other words, science tells us that Adam and Eve are fictions. That Saint Paul or Uncle Tom Cobley and all thought otherwise is irrelevant. They were wrong. This is not to say that they were stupid or careless. Two thousand years ago, for a Jew to believe in Adam and Eve was perfectly sensible. But time moves on and with it our understanding of the world around us, and old beliefs have to give way to new ones. Aristotle thought that some people were born to be slaves. He was wrong. St. Paul thought we are descended from Adam and Eve. He was wrong.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-ruse/ad...
This is an excerpt from the 2011article by Michael Ruse, Professor of Philosophy, Florida State University

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#83069 Mar 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
“In other words, science tells us that Adam and Eve are fictions. That Saint Paul or Uncle Tom Cobley and all thought otherwise is irrelevant. They were wrong. This is not to say that they were stupid or careless. Two thousand years ago, for a Jew to believe in Adam and Eve was perfectly sensible. But time moves on and with it our understanding of the world around us, and old beliefs have to give way to new ones. Aristotle thought that some people were born to be slaves. He was wrong. St. Paul thought we are descended from Adam and Eve. He was wrong.
This is an excerpt from the 2011article by Michael Ruse, Professor of Philosophy, Florida State University
Spounds like quite a rational guy...

Level 2

Location hidden

#83070 Mar 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is always readjusting itself to stay currant....it has to or it becomes irrelevant.
You are wrong. If truly what people like you have been saying about the biblical stories are true, then the religion based on the bible would have been in extinction.
But that is actually not the position.

Level 2

Location hidden

#83071 Mar 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
You keep bringing that, i have told you before, there is no way you can rule out the possibility of a first man and woman. Therefore, the bible was right about that. For the past centuries and millennium, what have you guys done to invalidate the bible? None!
Just noises. No one can stop what God has started, lets watch!

Level 2

Location hidden

#83072 Mar 26, 2013
Who can battle with the Lord( God Almighty)? None!
So, why the assertions, rantings, slanderings, libelings and the likes?
May be they just need attention. Like i said, lets watch and see, who gets the baton.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#83073 Mar 26, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just a pile of nonsense. You aren't even intelligent enough to be properly sarcastic. LOL
It seems a terrible waste of higher functions...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/may/23...

...if true. "Under achiever" comes to mind. Sarcastic people prefer to waste time on being mean instead of saying something positive.

Location hidden

#83074 Mar 26, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still trying to decide whether your unwillingness to self-examine your position means you're a sick f ck or just monumentally stupid.
Just so I feel better - you're not planning to run for President are you?
Why the concern? We Americans couldn't care less about UK politics.

Location hidden

#83075 Mar 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I like currant jam.

Location hidden

#83076 Mar 26, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it seems to have more to do with early indoctrination, as is the case with most successful cults...
Does it make you feel good to claim to know what goes on in homes you've never been to?

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#83077 Mar 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I like currant jam.
Sorry about that.

That is my signature mistake..:-)

Location hidden

#83078 Mar 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about that.
That is my signature mistake..:-)
No apology is necessary. We all do it occasionally. I thought it was funny.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#83079 Mar 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You keep bringing that, i have told you before, there is no way you can rule out the possibility of a first man and woman. Therefore, the bible was right about that. For the past centuries and millennium, what have you guys done to invalidate the bible? None!
Just noises. No one can stop what God has started, lets watch!
Charles, I'm sorry, but you ARE wrong. We know for a fact that Adam and Eve did NOT exist as written in the Bible. Your denial with no backup leaves you in a silly position.

All you do is assert, and never with any backup data. Genesis HAS been mostly proven to be parables and allegory. There is real repeatable science behind what I am telling you.

Of course you can deny it all you want, but that does NOT make it untrue. I have never lied to you.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#83080 Mar 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You are wrong. If truly what people like you have been saying about the biblical stories are true, then the religion based on the bible would have been in extinction.
But that is actually not the position.
Even as we 'speak' there are Christian Apologists working on what they are going to have to do to adjust understanding of Adam and Eve for their congregants.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#83081 Mar 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
Who can battle with the Lord( God Almighty)? None!
So, why the assertions, rantings, slanderings, libelings and the likes?
May be they just need attention. Like i said, lets watch and see, who gets the baton.
I feel like I'm in a battle, but not with God....He doesn't exist.

I'm in a battle with people who will not explore something that is really important to them, and our world in general.
HOG_Hand of God

Kingston, Jamaica

#83082 Mar 26, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
If it ain't scientific it ain't objective evidence.
That cant be right.

The objective would have to precede the scientific, in order for the scientific to be valued for its objectivity.

The tone of your expression suggests that your intellects is pathetic enough to seek refuge in a limited philosophy represented by so-called science.

How tragic.
HOG_Hand of God

Kingston, Jamaica

#83083 Mar 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles, I'm sorry, but you ARE wrong. We know for a fact that Adam and Eve did NOT exist as written in the Bible.
I bet you do NOT know for a fact that they did not exist as such.
thewordofme wrote:
All you do is assert, and never with any backup data.
Thats where science comes in.

Science help to search for evidence and data; give it time.
thewordofme wrote:
Genesis HAS been mostly proven to be parables and allegory...
But the parables and allegories effectively embody concepts which are embedded in the fabric of reality.

While the parables and allegories are effective in the purpose intended for them, you have nothing to talk about; for the function of language is to communicate meaning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back in the day...... 1 min visitor 84
Two words only please! (Aug '08) 1 min Poppyann 41,127
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 min Brandiiiiiiii 20,734
A to Z of "two words beginning with similar let... 2 min Mr_FX 44
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 4 min Mr_FX 6,345
2words into 2new words (May '12) 4 min Poppyann 7,397
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) (Jul '15) 6 min Mr_FX 1,941
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 6 min Ferrerman 68,320
News Trump's Dark, Weird, Inaugural Campaign Speech 10 min visitor 69
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 35 min the sunshine NEVE... 209,974
More from around the web