Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
78,201 - 78,220 of 115,249 Comments Last updated 8 min ago
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#82863 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>CBOW I guess instead of trying to show these folks the error of their ways, we need to heed the advice Paul gave to Timothy concerning such things they propose. 2 Tim 2:23 "But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing they do gender strifes"
Now I can't tell if you're preaching or coming out.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#82864 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>I read it every day, by your proposal I am asking to support your claim, seems you cannot support what you put forth.
http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistles/on_...
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#82865 Mar 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Seems like patriot and CBOW are too busy to worry about it also.
must be uncomfortable to realize the god you worship is mad up by a cult...
it would explain their inability to answer why their god myth condones slavery...
Nowhere in the New Testament is slavery encouraged nor condoned. You are just mad that in several places the bibles condemns homosexuality. If the Bible were to advocate such behavior you would think it was the neatest thing since sliced bread
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#82866 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Nowhere in the New Testament is slavery encouraged nor condoned.
Oops!
Patriot wrote:
You are just mad that in several places the bibles condemns homosexuality. If the Bible were to advocate such behavior you would think it was the neatest thing since sliced bread
Actually no, you do. I just explained why to CBOW. Fundies think slavery is the neatest thing in the world EVAR.
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#82867 Mar 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have any facts. You have an old book written by a bunch of iron age goat herders who thought the Earth was flat and that lizards and donkeys could talk. "The Bible iz troo cuz teh Bible sez so!" may be very impressive to fundies but not to the rest of us.
The apostle Paul was the equivilent of one with multiple PHDs of the law, he was no dummy, he wrote half or so of the New Testament(through inspiration)No doubt all of us on this thread could have learned A LOT from him

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#82868 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Nowhere in the New Testament is slavery encouraged nor condoned. You are just mad that in several places the bibles condemns homosexuality. If the Bible were to advocate such behavior you would think it was the neatest thing since sliced bread
what difference does it make what testament it was in. your god says it is Ok to own other humans. how do you justitfy that?

how can it be that you have better morals than your god? or do you condone slavery?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#82869 Mar 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I can't tell if you're preaching or coming out.
Oh man, Patriot seems like the kind of self-loathing, repressed homosexual who would just LOVE to be able to scream it out for all creation to hear, "I'M GAAAAAYYYYY!!!!"
Mr Smartypants

Watseka, IL

#82870 Mar 25, 2013
Willie Mays Hayes wrote:
I believe in Old Earth Creation. The bible never says how old the earth is, only that God created it.
You may be what's known as a "Theistic Evolutionist". Those are the people who believe that the Earth is very old, that evolution happened, but that God was ultimately the driving force.

I'm agnostic myself, but I do think that Theistic Evolution is a reasonable viewpoint. Science can explain the 'how' of evolution, but not the 'why'--science only deals with naturalism and stays out of metaphysics. Some evolutionists think that the universe evolved on its own, and some think that a god made it happen--and it's really hard to find conclusive empirical evidence to support either side.

The only thing I find bizarre is the idea of Young-Earth Creationism because that goes against a ton of evidence that the universe is a lot older than 6,000 years...
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#82871 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>The apostle Paul was the equivilent of one with multiple PHDs of the law, he was no dummy, he wrote half or so of the New Testament(through inspiration)No doubt all of us on this thread could have learned A LOT from him
Actually, he wrote a bunch of letters to his friends around the region.

I think if we brought him back to life today and told him what has happened to those letters and that they are considered the "inerrant Word of God" by a certain segment of the population, Paul would probably bust a gut laughing so hard.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#82872 Mar 25, 2013
Mr Smartypants wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be what's known as a "Theistic Evolutionist". Those are the people who believe that the Earth is very old, that evolution happened, but that God was ultimately the driving force.
I'm agnostic myself, but I do think that Theistic Evolution is a reasonable viewpoint. Science can explain the 'how' of evolution, but not the 'why'--science only deals with naturalism and stays out of metaphysics. Some evolutionists think that the universe evolved on its own, and some think that a god made it happen--and it's really hard to find conclusive empirical evidence to support either side.
The only thing I find bizarre is the idea of Young-Earth Creationism because that goes against a ton of evidence that the universe is a lot older than 6,000 years...
The way I look at it is this:

Theistic Evolution is a combined philosophical/scientific position.

The SCIENCE part would be "Evolution is a demonstrated reality supported by multiple sciences."

The PHILOSOPHY (or religion) part would be "God created all this and has chosen to work through the process of evolution."
Elohim

Branford, CT

#82873 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>But wild guesses by man is most welcome, right?
That all creationists have.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#82874 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>I have never seen in scripture where one is told to hold slaves. Show me where it says for us to own them...
You've never read the bible. You only know what Pastor Billy Bob cherry picks

“Don't steal home without it. ”

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#82875 Mar 25, 2013
Mr Smartypants wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a difference between Theistic Evolution and Old Earth Creation. I will quote Mr. Ross here: "Old Earth Creationism is an umbrella term used to describe biblical creationists who deny that the universe was created within the last 6,000 to 10,000 years over the course of six consecutive 24-hour days. Rather, Old Earth Creationists believe that God created the universe and its inhabitants (including a literal Adam and Eve) over a much longer period of time than is allowed for by Young Earth Creationists."
Patriot

Antioch, TN

#82876 Mar 25, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh man, Patriot seems like the kind of self-loathing, repressed homosexual who would just LOVE to be able to scream it out for all creation to hear, "I'M GAAAAAYYYYY!!!!"
You would not need to even whisper it aloud. Everyone alreadys knows you walk lightly in your loafers.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#82877 Mar 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops!
<quoted text>
Actually no, you do. I just explained why to CBOW. Fundies think slavery is the neatest thing in the world EVAR.
It was believers in creation who began the campaign against slavery in America.

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolitionism&quo... ;

I don't see atheists' objections recorded there. They must have wanted to keep a low profile.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#82878 Mar 25, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
If wishes were asses you would be orgasmic. Keep wishing, gwad.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#82879 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>I am not preaching just showing the facts to refute these so called man made theories, that are just guesses
No, you're preaching and have no idea what a scientific theory is.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#82880 Mar 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Your god has limits.
He can not lie, if this is what you mean. Our Creator has all power in heaven and earth and a miracle of God can happen at once and by all accounts, it would appear to have taken a lot of time and natural process.

St. Croix valley

#82881 Mar 25, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>You would not need to even whisper it aloud. Everyone alreadys knows you walk lightly in your loafers.
What would your mythical god say about you judging others and making false accusations?

are you so upset for being shown your god myth is a lie that you have to lash out at others? the rational thing to do would be to re-evaluate your cult membership and beliefs...

St. Croix valley

#82882 Mar 25, 2013
Willie Mays Hayes wrote:
I believe in Old Earth Creation. The bible never says how old the earth is, only that God created it.
and he didn't even get his own creation story correct...

your cult lied to you...again...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dialectics Thread 2 min Hoosier Hillbilly 19
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 3 min the wandering girl 25,834
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 5 min the wandering girl 29,131
Simple things that make you happy, horny.... (Oct '12) 5 min SLY WEST 60
Fergson Police Dept. 7 min A TROLL NAMED SLACK 400
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 8 min the wandering girl 3,455
ISIS (((caps is essential))) 9 min Hoosier Hillbilly 5
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 23 min Enzo49 28,510
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 26 min Tom2Tone 145,270
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr A TROLL NAMED SLACK 35,991
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr Spirit67_ 18,594
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••