Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,884)

Showing posts 77,661 - 77,680 of111,601
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I probably did say that. I don't recall the context however. I could very well have been correct.
I'm sure it sounds like belief to you. As I said, you're too rigid in your thinking to conceive of another point of view.
<quoted text>
I accept mortality. I have little choice in the matter. Whether there is another plane of existence remains to be seen.
Do share your point of view. Yes, we shall ALL indeed see the other plane.

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. But do you ever wonder why the first civilizations did not occur until about 10,000 BC? Why is that?
Define civilization...lota of social species never encounbter each other...we have varying weather patterns, natural disasters, lack of medicine/helath care and the list goes on...most people likely DID live in a civilization, but until humans mastered agriculture we spent most of our time LOOKING FOR FOOD AND WATER...once we were abnle to master agriculture, we couild them lazxe around a bit and have more kids, who MIGHT have a meal, who them MIGHT grow up, who them MAYBE will have offspring...your sense of what humans lif was like 10K+ years ago seems a bit rosy...life sucked for humans as compared to today...if you want a good read or watch look into Jared Diamond's: Guns, Germs and Steel...and while you're at it watch The Journey of Man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_of_Man
I supsect it will enlighten you...stopp wondering and start LEARNING

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
How long will these pieces of future space junk be operable? Do you think they will harbor the history of mankind as being ingenious creatures, or the violent, destructive creatures that we truly are?
i would bet they last longer than your religious cult lasts, if history is a guide.
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
The science behind evolution and an old earth, etc. doesn't "discredit" the "Word," but rather makes clear what any intelligent, educated modern person knows, namely that the creation stories in the "Word" are fairly typical Bronze Age myths and not literal, factual histories.
That's not discrediting the Bible, but rather the ignorant attitudes of some of its worshippers.
It appears as thou your perceptions of ignorance are not anything more than that. The Bible is a guideline for living one's life, so that when life is done, there is a wonderful place to "retire to". How is this a bad thing?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Do share your point of view.
I believe (there's that word) I already have. Questions?
CBOW wrote:
Yes, we shall ALL indeed see the other plane.
So you say.
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
It meaning science? Nope.
<quoted text>
It is, Ms Rigid. However, the controversy is not necessarily between god or no god - which is how you see it - but between the evidence for evolution vs Genesis.
Creationism states that the Genesis account is factually correct. It isn't.
Genesis isn't factually incorrect, it's incomplete. The Bible is a compilation of events that are the most important information, not ALL of the information.
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they have been checked and cross-checked using methods that have been proven to be accurate over hundreds of years.
Welcome to The Scientific Method.
<quoted text>
Learn what a scientific theory is. Hint: it isn't a guess or a speculation.
OOOO, hundreds of years, let's shoot for hundreds of millions of years. That's where God dwells.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
How long will these pieces of future space junk be operable? Do you think they will harbor the history of mankind as being ingenious creatures, or the violent, destructive creatures that we truly are?
The recording on Voyager will last probably onger than the Earth. and it will show us for what we are, a new species still evolving. getting rid of religion would be our best move in getting away from being violent, divisive people.

religious cults are inherently divisive

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my words, the Word of God. God established the plum line I live by. Who established yours? HUMANITY, so how is that working out for you? Imperfect beings setting forth rules and laws, no wonder this civilization is so screwed up. More of your kind skewing the line. Do you think because you claim there is no God that somehow your judging is any different than that of a believer? Hypocritical much?
Yeah...ummm...it's PLUMB Line(as in Plumbum, as in normal to the Earth, as in VETICAL...plum is a fruit...and we KNOW there are NO gods..none..all myths...be it Yahweh, Quetzalcoatl, Osirus, Odin, Mazda, Uhuru, Mrs, Pluto, Poseidon, or any of the 1000s of other gods throughout creation...you can believe in whatever you want...just don't expect the rest of us to following along like sheep...that's what unthinking religionists do...you haven't an opriginal thought in your head...not one.
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about all those times your prayers were NOT answered?
Wait, let me guess. "God answered my prayers. He said no." Right?
Has it occurred to you that there is no functional difference between
1.) "God answered my prayers. He said no."
and
2.) There was no one there to take the call.
God answers every prayer, YES, NO and WAIT. His time is different than ours.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis isn't factually incorrect, it's incomplete. The Bible is a compilation of events that are the most important information, not ALL of the information.
Musta graduated from Dover High before Kitzmiller...ya gots lots of excuses...any evidence for this deity...Yahweh? Anything? Bueller, BUelller.....

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMAO!!! Wow
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
It's unlikely ANYONE "created" the rainbow. It's simply an atmospheric phenomenon where moisture and light combine in just a certain way to produce colors.
Imagine an Israelite shepherd boy sitting around the campfire with adults one night 3000 years ago and asking, "Wise ones, where did the beautiful rainbow come from?" Not a meteorologist in the bunch, right? So they concocted a juicy tale about God being madd at us one day, etc. etc. And that tale kept getting told and re-told. Eventually, someone wrote it down. Voila! The inerrant "Word." LOL
If that is how you choose to perceive it, that is your prerogative. The fact that someone documented it back then is of no consequence, huh?
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it's that same fallible group tht you rely on for your myths...
what a fool!
Wrong, definitely NOT the same group.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Debatable.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of the multi-gigabit code, smaller than any manmade storage device, are you speaking of as evidence against "Bible Myth?"
Well, to begin with, orthologous Endogenous Retroviruses are considered by DNA researchers to be proof positive of man's common descent with other apes from earlier ancestors in the ape family.

Secondly, we know that all currently alive human beings descended on their mother's side from one woman (know sardonically as Mitochondrial Eve) and all human beings from one man on their father's side (again, sardonically named Y-chromosomal Adam.

See:

Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2007/07/...

Quote:

In the past decade, scientists have repeatedly referred to ‘Mitochondrial Eve‘, the (hypothesized) source of mtDNA for all humans alive today. She is believed to have lived approximately 140,000 years ago in Africa. There is also ‘Y-chromosomal Adam‘, the (hypothesized) source of every living man’s Y-DNA. He is also believed to have lived in Africa, but more recently, between 60,000 and 90,000 years ago.

Thus, Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromsomal Adam were not a couple – they were not the source of all human genetic material on the planet today. Instead, the terms refer to the founders of all the mtDNA and Y-DNA respectively.

End quote

So the so-called "Adam and Eve' of your Holy Bible 1.) were not alive at the same time or within TENS of thousands of years of each other, and 2.) thus they never "knew" each other, either socially or Biblically.:)
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
A machine does not blindly and mindlessly self-create. When one sees a 747 fly by it's easy to assume Boeing made it.
Of course it's easy. Because we KNOW that human beings create and fashion airplanes out of metal and make them fly, etc. We do NOT know that cells or living beings were originally "created by a SUpreme being." Indeed, that isn't science.

We DO see living beings reproducing regularly and know that, at present, THAT is how they are "created," and winding that process back all the way into the past, the most reasonable explanation SO FAR is biochemical abiogenesis, for which there is not yet final proof, but lots of imposing evidence.

But notice the dishonest slight of hand you engage in:

You describe a cell BY ANALOGY as a "machine" then compare it to something man-made that we actually KNOW is a "machine."

The cell may seem LIKE a machine in some of the ways it functions, for purposes of understanding or for a teaching analogy, but it isn't ACTUALLY a machine, is it?

In fact, it's a living thing that we can watch divide and reproduce.

What "machine" do you know of that can do that? How about your proverbial 747? Seen one have baby 747s lately? LOL!
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
???
Plenty of evidence to suggest that the Genesis creations tory, for example, is a myth that could NEVER have happened in many of its particulars.
As for the story of the Israelites, etc., you DO know that the Pentateuch was clearly NOT written by someone named "Moses," but by four separate authors and one editor, HUNDREDS of years later?
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_tora1.h...
Both Judaism and Christianity assumed that the Pentateuch -- the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) were written by Moses, as the Bible itself states. However, in recent centuries, alternative authorship has been proposed. PROPOSED not validated. C'mon. A website dedicated to debunking the Word? Really?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible that has 2500 prophecies where 2000 have been fulfilled 100%
Complete bullshit.

Read "Bible Prophecy: Failure or Fulfillment?" by Tim Callahan
http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Prophecy-Fulfillm...

From the Amazon description:
"Tim Callahan has done the rational thing and examined hundreds of verses from the Bible claimed to be "prophecy" to see if they meet four simple tests:

1) Is it true, false, or too vague to be specifically interpreted?

2) If true, was it written before or after the fact?

3) If written before the fact, was its fullfillment something that could be logically predicted based on the knowledge of the time?

4) Was the prophecy directly or deliberately fulfilled by someone with knowledge of the prophecy?

There is not a single "Bible prophecy" that meets these four tests.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
No...not at all. stating that the stars were created well after the earth and plants and water is factually incorrect.

your cult lied to you....again...

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
OOOO, hundreds of years, let's shoot for hundreds of millions of years. That's where God dwells.
Ooooooooooo...an assertion from ignorance...that's where the fundiots live...try using your deity's name, it helps keep down the confusion about which GOD we're discussing...I'll presume you're a Yahweh-ite...the silliest of all believers.

And science is dealing with BILLIONS of years for the age of the universe, not MILLIONS, dummy...your god, YAHWEH, originates with the Jews, and their god of fire Yahweh...http://en.wikipedia.o rg/wiki/Yahweh...so much for that GOING BACK MILLIONS OF YEARS , eh? How does it feel to be so uneducated about your own supposed core beliefs...do tell.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 77,661 - 77,680 of111,601
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

206 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Add a word and drop a word 3 min Sublime1 895
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 4 min Sublime1 5,507
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 5 min Sublime1 6,049
What is the meaning of life? 8 min Really simple 5
How to become Unbannable 8 min tora tora tora 58
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min Crazy Beautiful 140,303
There goes the neighborhood! (May '13) 12 min Naturally Wired 10,866
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr CJ Rocker 14,105
Bizarre Angelina Jolie video emerges online 2 hr Phyllis Schlafly s Stain 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••