Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221399 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82245 Mar 22, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>You know, I might be inclined to agree... except for that one little thing your belief system is missing. Actual, verifiable, reality based emperical evidence. You know, the ONE thing that would set your religious beliefs above and apart from all other religious belief systems past and present. Come up with that and I'm in. You'll excuse me, of course, if I don't hold my breath
\
Evidence provided by that very same fallible group, humanity? That would actually make me question it's validity then. Who has lied to you in the past? Humans! Todays humans are no better than the ones two thousand years ago who lied and deceived. You don't want to believe in a God that is above all that, but you'll believe lying humans. Interesting. God's existence is a matter of faith, something lies cannot penetrate. It's up to you to seek it out.
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#82246 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that science is nothing more than discovery of what is already known. Known and created by Our Heavenly Father. The rainbow for instance, a sign to never flood the earth again. Science simply provided the answer of how it was done, it didn't create it.
It's unlikely ANYONE "created" the rainbow. It's simply an atmospheric phenomenon where moisture and light combine in just a certain way to produce colors.

Imagine an Israelite shepherd boy sitting around the campfire with adults one night 3000 years ago and asking, "Wise ones, where did the beautiful rainbow come from?" Not a meteorologist in the bunch, right? So they concocted a juicy tale about God being madd at us one day, etc. etc. And that tale kept getting told and re-told. Eventually, someone wrote it down. Voila! The inerrant "Word." LOL

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#82247 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>\
Evidence provided by that very same fallible group, humanity? That would actually make me question it's validity then. Who has lied to you in the past? Humans! Todays humans are no better than the ones two thousand years ago who lied and deceived. You don't want to believe in a God that is above all that, but you'll believe lying humans. Interesting. God's existence is a matter of faith, something lies cannot penetrate. It's up to you to seek it out.
it's that same fallible group tht you rely on for your myths...

what a fool!
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#82248 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
There is also no evidence to prove that the Bible is just a story. Grimm fairytales are stories, the Bible is history derived from the Dead sea scrolls.
???

Plenty of evidence to suggest that the Genesis creations tory, for example, is a myth that could NEVER have happened in many of its particulars.

As for the story of the Israelites, etc., you DO know that the Pentateuch was clearly NOT written by someone named "Moses," but by four separate authors and one editor, HUNDREDS of years later?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_tora1.h...
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#82249 Mar 22, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, 3 gb of code written in a molecular language just happens every day. Got it.
Doesn't have to happen "every day." But it plainly did happen several billion years ago, when conditions were just right for those chemical reactions to take place on the early earth.

And "code" is a self-serving analogy that is way off base in many particulars (see my earlier posts). The most you can honestly say (if that interest you at all) is that DNA is LIKE a code in some ways, but NOT like a code in some crucial ways.

It's an ANALOGY, and a very imperfect one.
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#82250 Mar 22, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess Noahs time event and observation record doesn't count. Days they were shut inside, the initial crustal brakeup, storm start and stop time, runoff time, time to final rest.
It's hard to imagine that, in this day and age, there would be intelligent, thoughtful people who would give any credence to Young Earth Biblical nonsense as factual history or reporting.

But we all know why you feel you HAVE to take this position, as galling as it must be to you, right?
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82251 Mar 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>No, not space junk, working divices we made that are exploring the solar system and even beyond...
well, some debate as to whether Voyager is beyond our solar sytem yet, but it will be soon.
How long will these pieces of future space junk be operable? Do you think they will harbor the history of mankind as being ingenious creatures, or the violent, destructive creatures that we truly are?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#82252 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
It does when it uses evolution to discredit the Word. Isn't that the title of this forum, EVOLUTION VERSUS CREATION?
Would "Verifiable Scince vs. Unsupported Myth" be more to your liking?
Gillette

Packwood, IA

#82253 Mar 22, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
I ment that in the realm of "theoretical science" vs "religion" (of all types) science has the right of honest understanding being promoted, but cannot trump all truth, because it may be controverted at any time with more evidence or such. If it's an origin theory that is opposite of a religious belief, so what, more evidence may come along for either. I just liked the just path being promoted, OBJECTIVITY!
The "just path" does NOT include injecting Bronze Age religious fables into public school SCIENCE classes AS SCIENCE or as plausible alternatives to established, peer-reviewed 15-year old science.

So says common sense and so have said every American court that has considered the subject, form the Supreme Court down to the various District Courts.

You guys lost this one LONG AGO. LOL
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82254 Mar 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>who ever mentioned the web? your cult god is just a re-hashed myth from previous religious cults. not even an origianl myth...
What is your perception of "original"?
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82255 Mar 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I probably did say that. I don't recall the context however. I could very well have been correct.
I'm sure it sounds like belief to you. As I said, you're too rigid in your thinking to conceive of another point of view.
<quoted text>
I accept mortality. I have little choice in the matter. Whether there is another plane of existence remains to be seen.
Do share your point of view. Yes, we shall ALL indeed see the other plane.

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

#82256 Mar 22, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. But do you ever wonder why the first civilizations did not occur until about 10,000 BC? Why is that?
Define civilization...lota of social species never encounbter each other...we have varying weather patterns, natural disasters, lack of medicine/helath care and the list goes on...most people likely DID live in a civilization, but until humans mastered agriculture we spent most of our time LOOKING FOR FOOD AND WATER...once we were abnle to master agriculture, we couild them lazxe around a bit and have more kids, who MIGHT have a meal, who them MIGHT grow up, who them MAYBE will have offspring...your sense of what humans lif was like 10K+ years ago seems a bit rosy...life sucked for humans as compared to today...if you want a good read or watch look into Jared Diamond's: Guns, Germs and Steel...and while you're at it watch The Journey of Man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_of_Man
I supsect it will enlighten you...stopp wondering and start LEARNING

St. Croix valley

#82257 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
How long will these pieces of future space junk be operable? Do you think they will harbor the history of mankind as being ingenious creatures, or the violent, destructive creatures that we truly are?
i would bet they last longer than your religious cult lasts, if history is a guide.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82258 Mar 22, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
The science behind evolution and an old earth, etc. doesn't "discredit" the "Word," but rather makes clear what any intelligent, educated modern person knows, namely that the creation stories in the "Word" are fairly typical Bronze Age myths and not literal, factual histories.
That's not discrediting the Bible, but rather the ignorant attitudes of some of its worshippers.
It appears as thou your perceptions of ignorance are not anything more than that. The Bible is a guideline for living one's life, so that when life is done, there is a wonderful place to "retire to". How is this a bad thing?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#82259 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Do share your point of view.
I believe (there's that word) I already have. Questions?
CBOW wrote:
Yes, we shall ALL indeed see the other plane.
So you say.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82260 Mar 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
It meaning science? Nope.
<quoted text>
It is, Ms Rigid. However, the controversy is not necessarily between god or no god - which is how you see it - but between the evidence for evolution vs Genesis.
Creationism states that the Genesis account is factually correct. It isn't.
Genesis isn't factually incorrect, it's incomplete. The Bible is a compilation of events that are the most important information, not ALL of the information.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82261 Mar 22, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they have been checked and cross-checked using methods that have been proven to be accurate over hundreds of years.
Welcome to The Scientific Method.
<quoted text>
Learn what a scientific theory is. Hint: it isn't a guess or a speculation.
OOOO, hundreds of years, let's shoot for hundreds of millions of years. That's where God dwells.

St. Croix valley

#82262 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
The recording on Voyager will last probably onger than the Earth. and it will show us for what we are, a new species still evolving. getting rid of religion would be our best move in getting away from being violent, divisive people.

religious cults are inherently divisive

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

#82263 Mar 22, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my words, the Word of God. God established the plum line I live by. Who established yours? HUMANITY, so how is that working out for you? Imperfect beings setting forth rules and laws, no wonder this civilization is so screwed up. More of your kind skewing the line. Do you think because you claim there is no God that somehow your judging is any different than that of a believer? Hypocritical much?
Yeah...ummm...it's PLUMB Line(as in Plumbum, as in normal to the Earth, as in VETICAL...plum is a fruit...and we KNOW there are NO gods..none..all myths...be it Yahweh, Quetzalcoatl, Osirus, Odin, Mazda, Uhuru, Mrs, Pluto, Poseidon, or any of the 1000s of other gods throughout creation...you can believe in whatever you want...just don't expect the rest of us to following along like sheep...that's what unthinking religionists do...you haven't an opriginal thought in your head...not one.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#82264 Mar 22, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about all those times your prayers were NOT answered?
Wait, let me guess. "God answered my prayers. He said no." Right?
Has it occurred to you that there is no functional difference between
1.) "God answered my prayers. He said no."
and
2.) There was no one there to take the call.
God answers every prayer, YES, NO and WAIT. His time is different than ours.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PC making really weird noises1 6 min 07 Mustang 5
Nude Charity Calendars 6 min FlatbushSam 1
True False Game (Jun '11) 9 min unreals_dad 14,590
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min Charlie 215,511
What Is Your DREAM JOB? 12 min Lifelover 65
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 13 min Huckleberry 74,406
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 14 min unreals_dad 23,626
A to Z songs by title or group! 58 min Camilla 1,595
News Chicago artist creates a mural of Michelle Obam... 7 hr andet1987 39
More from around the web