Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,834)

Showing posts 76,661 - 76,680 of112,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Fermi National Accelerator
Laboratory(Fermilab), located just
outside Batavia,Illinois, near Chicago,
is a US Department of Energy national
laboratory specializing in high-energy
particle physics
Fermi is shooting neutrino underground to the lab in Sudan Minnesota.
"Welcome to the Soudan Underground Research Site, a unique physics laboratory operated by the School of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. The first physics experiments at Soudan began in 1980. The current laboratory was constructed between 1984 and 1986. The Soudan Laboratory site is leased by the University of Minnesota from the State of Minnesota, Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The lab is located in the Soudan Underground Mine State Park, where the DNR preserves the oldest iron mine in Minnesota.
The Need for an Underground Facility
The Soudan Laboratory is one of a handful of deep underground physics laboratories located at sites around the world. The major reason for the deep underground location is to shield very sensitive energy detectors from cosmic rays, naturally raining down on the earth from outer space. These cosmic ray particles deposit tiny flashes of energy in all matter which they traverse. A large number of such flashes can easily overwhelm sensitive experiments which are done in deep underground labs, masking the expected effects.
In an underground facility, the number of cosmic ray particles is considerably reduced by absorption in the rock above. At the Soudan lab, the number of cosmic ray particles is cut by a factor of 100,000 from the number at the surface. As a result, the current Soudan 2 detector needs to cope with only a few million interruptions per year due to cosmic rays rather than the trillions of cosmic rays per year that would pass through a similar detector on the earth's surface.
Underground physics labs similar to the one at Soudan but with different experiments are located in mines in South Dakota, Ontario and Japan. There are also deep underground physics labs in Russia, France and Italy, which are located underneath mountains and accessed by long, horizontal tunnels.
Physics Underground
Most underground physics experiments study the nature of the fundamental forces between the tiniest bits of matter. There are four such forces or interactions. Scientists believe that all of them are likely related. The weakest of these interactions is gravity, the force which is familiar to us as both the reason why objects fall towards the earth's surface and why the earth and the other planets move in orbits around the sun. A second familiar force is electromagnetism, which is responsible for electromagnets and magnetic compasses and all forms of electricity. The strongest of the four forces is the strong or nuclear force which binds the nuclei of atoms together. The last force, known as the weak interaction, is important for the thermonuclear or burning reactions which power our Sun and for some very slow, radioactive decays."
yes, SZ knew what FERMI is, he was referring to marks continued mispelling of it and confusing it with CERN. must have been a really cheap college he went to...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>What is a paleo scientist?
A very, very old person.

In a lab coat.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>that and the blatent lies like about the ...wait for it, first use of the new word...Noachian flood.

tough to believe in a god that tells lies...
If the police are questioning 2 people they smell something fishing if the the eye whiteness story's all match word for word. Simple no two people are watching what is happing the same way. Their eyes are scanning and observing totally different from each other. Two witness's two story's and no one is lying. They are simply telling what they observed.
ThenNow WhatwillBe

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
And all this time I thought you had to be religious to be Christian.
Can I be atheist and be a Christian??:-)
I don't speak for Langoliers.

But, you can be religious about anything. Read back through this thread, it's very religious.
Mark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>

Yes, the Columbia flow was largely underwater. So what? The whole area has also been uplifted. Besides that the event was many millions of years ago, long before there could have been a flood, if that is what you are getting at.
Please stop with the stories. You don't even tell them well. We have heard almost all of these lies before since we are well acquainted with creatard sites.
And you probably were referring to Fermilab earlier. It used to be THE collider site until CERN opened up.
Well Subduction, if you have seen the Steens scarp face and seem so firmly convicted of your knowlege,(that seems not to come from field experiance, but from web surfing wiki and google from the comfort of your home) and have all interpretations wisey interpreted, why is there little or no erosion on the East Steens face you tell me is millions of years old? Fact is all the Mtn ranges of the world at "uniform" average erosion rates would be worn flat in <17 mil years. Can you find that on Wiki or Google?

Actually you can do a fly over and look at the East face and tell me how they are so sharp and black for all your millions of Y? And I am the one who holds to blind faith? Did you look at the Tyee, its full of fossils and rambles along the tops of 1/2 the mtns in western Oregon and is full of fossils from 2-4K+ ft! Your main aurgument seems to be one based in stereotyping folk who don't believe as you. I get that perspective but it seams that the information I have shared is making you uncomfortible and your assertion that I cant contribute to a site like this is based in your lack of comfort and control, not the facts. I'm staying on.

M

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go.
religious
noun
: a member of a religious order under monastic vows.
As I said I'm not religious I am a Christian.
Pfft.

Pick one highly restricted definition, why don't you?

You know perfectly well that you're effectively lying.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>So you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster too!!

rAmen!!
Oh yes there is a FSM alright!
Keep offering burnt offerings to him.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know?
Satanic is not the same as Fundamentalist.
You may or may not be correct.

Which has sod-all to do with the post to which you seem to think you're responding.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
So darwin debunked Noah?
The Noachian flood was being questioned by 'Christian' scientists in the 1600's.

Even then there was no scientific evidence for it.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you Noah?!?
Third cousin twice removed.:-)

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Langoliers, have you found a "FERME" lab.

I knew that the idiot meant Fermilab, it is the sort of mistake a creatard would make.

He was pretending he knew facts that he did not know and yet he could not even spell "Fermi" correctly.

That was not a typo, that was the error that a pretender would make.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i did. the creation story is wrong..known fact. no flood ever. known fact.

your cult lied to you...often.
A fossilized human skull was found in coal that was sold in Germany (mid-1800s). A jawbone of a child was found in coal in Tuscany (1958). Two giant human molars were found in Montana (1926). A human leg was found by a West Virginia coal miner. It had changed into coal.�pp. 34-35.

A woman, in Illinois, reportedly found a gold chain in a chunk of coal which broke open (1891). A small steel cube was found in a block of coal in Austria (1885). An iron pot was found in coal in Oklahoma (1912). A woman found a child's spoon in coal (1937).�p. 35.

In 1944 Newton Anderson claimed to have found this bell inside a lump of coal that was mined near his house in West Virginia. When Newton dropped the lump it broke, revealing a bell encased inside.

What is a brass bell with an iron clapper doing in coal that is supposed to be hundreds of

millions of years old? According to Norm Scharbough's book Ammunition (which includes a compilation of many such "coal anecdotes") the bell was extensively analyzed at the University of Oklahoma and it was found to contain an unusual mixture of metals, different from any modern usage. Photo and text from Genesis Park.

Man-made objects in rock.

An iron nail was found in a Cretaceous block from the Mesozoic era (mid-1800s). A gold thread was found in stone in England (1844). An iron nail was found in quartz in California (1851). A silver vessel was found in solid rock in Massachusetts (1851).

The mold of a metal screw was found in a chunk of feldspar (1851). An intricately carved and inlaid metal bowl was found in solid rock (1852). An iron nail was found in rock in a Peruvian mine by Spanish conquistadores (1572).�pp. 35-36.

http://s8int.com/page8.html

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
If the police are questioning 2 people they smell something fishing if the the eye whiteness story's all match word for word. Simple no two people are watching what is happing the same way. Their eyes are scanning and observing totally different from each other. Two witness's two story's and no one is lying. They are simply telling what they observed.
You forgot about the divine inspiration part of the bible, huh?

why is it you bible thumpers don't even know your own theology? i wswear i have personally taught you more about your own mythical god than anyone else on the planet.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Third cousin twice removed.:-)
me too, i guess, if the myth is true.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>.
Here's a list of a few places that have their own version of a world wide flood.

Europe
Greek, Arcadian, Samothrace
Roman
Scandinavian, German
Celtic, Welsh
Lithuanian, Transylvanian Gypsy
Turkey
Near East
Sumerian
Egypt, Babylonian, Assyrian, Chaldean, Hebrew, Islamic
Persian, Zoroastrian
Africa
Cameroon
Masai (East Africa),
Kwaya (Lake Victoria)
Southwest Tanzania,
Ababua (northern Zaire), Kikuyu (Kenya), Bakongo (west Zaire), Bachokwe?(southern Zaire), Lower Congo, Basonge, Bena-Lulua (Congo River, southeast Zaire)
Yoruba (southwest Nigeria), Efik-Ibibio (Nigeria), Ekoi (Nigeria)
Mandingo (Ivory Coast)
Asia
Vogul
Samoyed (north Siberia)
Yenisey-Ostyak (north central Siberia), Kamchadale (northeast Siberia)
Altaic (central Asia),
Tuvinian (Soyot)(north of Mongolia)
Mongolia, Buryat (eastern Siberia)
Sagaiye (eastern Siberia)
Russian
Hindu, Bhil (central India), Kamar (Raipur District, Central India), Assam
Tamil (southern India)
Lepcha (Sikkim), Tibet, Singpho (Assam), Lushai (Assam), Lisu (northwest Yunnan, China), Lolo (southwestern China), Jino (southern Yunnan, China), Karen (Burma), Chingpaw (Upper Burma)
China
Korea
Munda (north-central India), Santal (Bengal), Ho (southwestern Bengal)
Bahnar (Cochin China), Kammu (northern Thailand)
Andaman Islands (Bay of Bengal)
Zhuang (China), Sui (southern Guizhou, China), Shan (Burma)
Tsuwo (Formosa interior), Bunun (Formosa interior), Ami (eastern Taiwan)
Benua-Jakun (Malay Peninsula), Kelantan (Malay Peninsula), Ifugao (Philippines), Kiangan Ifugao, Atá(Philippines), Mandaya (Philippines), Tinguian (Luzon, Philippines)
Batak (Sumatra), Nias (an island west of Sumatra), Engano (another island west of Sumatra), Dusun (British North Borneo), Dyak (Borneo), Ot-Danom (Dutch Borneo), Toradja (central Celebes), Alfoor (between Celebes and New Guinea), Rotti (southwest of Timor), Nage (Flores)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i ..often.
Part 2

Australia
Arnhem Land (northern Northern Territory)
Maung (Goulburn Islands, Arnhem Land), Gunwinggu (northern Arnhem Land)
Gumaidj (Arnhem Land)
Manger (Arnhem Land)
Fitzroy River area (Western Australia)
Australian, Mount Elliot (coastal Queensland), Western Australia, Andingari (South Australia), Wiranggu (South Australia), Narrinyeri (South Australia), Victoria, Lake Tyres (Victoria), Kurnai (Gippsland, Victoria), southeast Australian
Maori (New Zealand)
Pacific Islands
Kabadi (New Guinea), Valman (northern New Guinea), Mamberao River (Irian Jaya), Samo-Kubo (western Papua New Guinea), Papua New Guinea
Palau Islands (Micronesia), western Carolines
New Hebrides, Lifou (one of the Loyalty Islands), Fiji
Samoa, Nanumanga (Tuvalu, South Pacific), Mangaia (Cook Islands), Rakaanga (Cook Islands), Raiatea (Leeward Group, French Polynesia), Tahiti, Hawaii
North America
Innuit, Eskimo (Orowignarak, Alaska), Norton Sound Eskimo, Central Eskimo, Tchiglit Eskimo (Arctic Ocean), Herschel Island Eskimo, Netsilik Eskimo, Greenlander
Tlingit (southern Alaska coast), Hareskin (Alaska), Tinneh (Alaska and south), Loucheux (Dindjie)(Alaska), Dogrib and Slave (Tinneh tribes), Kaska (northern inland British Columbia), Thompson Indians (British Columbia), Sarcee (Alberta), Tsetsaut
Haida (Queen Charlotte Is., British Columbia), Tsimshian (British Columbia)
Kwakiutl (British Columbia)
Kootenay (southeast British Columbia), Squamish (British Columbia), Bella Coola (British Columbia), Lillooet (Green River, British Columbia), Makah (Cape Flattery, Washington), Klallam (northwest Washington), Skokomish (Washington), Skagit (Washington), Quillayute (Washington), Nisqually (Washington), Twana (Puget Sound, Washington), Kathlamet
Cascade Mountains
Spokana, Nez Perce, Cayuse (eastern Washington), Yakima (Washington), Warm Springs (Oregon), Joshua (southern Oregon), Smith River (northern California coast), Wintu (north central California), Maidu (central California), Northern Miwok (central California), Tuleyome Miwok (near Clear Lake, California), Olamentko Miwok (Bodega Bay, California) Ohlone (San Francisco to Monterey, California)
Kato (Mendocino County, California)
Shasta (northern California interior), Pomo (north central California), Salinan (California), Yuma (western Arizona, southern California), Havasupai (lower Colorado River)
Ashochimi (California)
Yurok (north California coast), Blackfoot (Alberta and Montana), Cree (Canada), Timagami Ojibway (Canada), Chippewa (Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin), Ottawa, Menomini (Wisconsin-Michigan border), Cheyenne (Minnesota), Yellowstone, Montagnais (northern Gulf of St. Lawrence), Micmac (eastern Maritime Canada), Algonquin (upper Ottowa River), Lenape (Delaware)(Delaware to New York)
Cherokee (Great Lakes area; eastern Tennessee)
Mandan (North Dakota), Lakota
Choctaw (Mississippi), Natchez (Lower Mississippi)
Chitimacha (Southern Louisiana)
Caddo (Oklahoma, Arkansas), Pawnee (Nebraska)
Navajo (Four Corners area), Jicarilla Apache (northeastern New Mexico)
Sia (northeast Arizona)
Acagchemem (near San Juan Capistrano, California), Luiseño (Southern California), Pima (southwest Arizona), Papago (Arizona), Hopi (northeast Arizona), Zuni (New Mexico)
Central America
Tarascan (northern Michoacan, Mexico), Michoacan (Mexico)
Yaqui (Sonoran, Northern Mexico), Tarahumara (Northern Mexico), Huichol (western Mexico), Cora (east of the Huichols), Tepecano (southeast of the Huichols), Tepehua (eastern Mexico), Toltec (Mexico), Nahua (central Mexico), Tlaxcalan (central Mexico)
Tlapanec (south central Mexico), Mixtec (northern Oaxaca, Mexico), Zapotec (Oaxaca, southern Mexico), Trique (Oaxaca, southern Mexico)
Totonac (eastern Mexico)
Chol (southern Mexico), Tzeltal (Chiapas, southern Mexico), Quiché(Guatemala), Maya (southern Mexico and Guatemala)
Popoluca (Veracruz, Mexico)
Nicaragua, Panama
Carib (Antilles)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i did. the creation story is wrong..known fact. no flood ever. known fact.

Part 3

South America
Acawai (Orinoco), Arekuna (Guyana), Makiritare (Venezuela), Macusi (British Guyana)
Muysca (Colombia), Yaruro (southern Venezuela)
Yanomamö(southern Venezuela)
Tamanaque (Orinoco), Arawak (Guyana), Pamary, Abedery, and Kataushy (Purus R., Brazil), Ipurina (Upper Amazon)
Jivaro (eastern Ecuador), Shuar (Andes)
Murato (eastern Ecuador)
Cañari (Quito, Ecuador)
Guanca and Chiquito (Peru)
Ancasmarca (near Cuzco, Peru), Canelos Quechua, Quechua, Inca (Peru), Colla (high Andes)
Chiriguano (southeast Bolivia)
Chorote (Eastern Paraguay)
Eastern Brazil (Rio de Janiero region), Eastern Brazil (Cape Frio region), Caraya (Araguaia River, central Brazil), Coroado (south Brazil)
Araucania (coastal Chile)
Toba (northern Argentina)
Selk'nam (southern tip of Argentina)
Yamana (Tierra del Fuego)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:

The whole earth was covered with the Flood waters, and the world that then existed was destroyed by the very waters out of which the earth had originally emerged at God's command (Genesis 1:9; 2 Peter 3:5,6). But where did those waters go after the flood?

There are a number of Scripture passages that identify the flood waters with the present-day seas (Amos 9:6 and Job 38:8-11 note “waves”). If the waters are still here, why are the highest mountains not still covered with water, as they were in Noah's day? Psalm 104 suggests an answer. After the waters covered the mountains (verse 6), God rebuked them and they fled (verse 7); the mountains rose, the valleys sank down (verse 8) and God set a boundary so that they will never again cover the earth (verse 9)[1]. They are the same waters!

Isaiah gives this same statement that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth (Isaiah 54:9). Clearly, what the Bible is telling us is that God acted to alter the earth's topography. New continental landmasses bearing new mountain chains of folded rock strata were uplifted from below the globe-encircling waters that had eroded and leveled the pre-Flood topography, while large deep ocean basin were formed to receive and accommodate the Flood waters that then drained off the emerging continents.

That is why the oceans are so deep, and why there are folded mountain ranges. Indeed, if the entire earth's surface were leveled by smoothing out the topography of not only the land surface but also the rock surface on the ocean floor, the waters of the ocean would cover the earth's surface to a depth of 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers). We need to remember that nearly 70 percent of the earth's surface is still covered by water. Quite clearly, then, the waters of Noah's Flood are in today's ocean basins.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-flo...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:

"‘We knew it was a great find,’ said paleontologist Leonard Brand about the fossil whales he saw in Peru in 1999, 350 km (200 miles) south of Lima, the capital. Eagerly he organized a team of creationist research scientists. They recently published their findings in the secular journal Geology.1,2,3
Overall, they found 346 whales within a 1.5-km2 (370-acre) area, buried in an 80-m (260-ft) thick layer of sedimentary rock called diatomite. This layer is part of the Pisco Formation, which varies in thickness from 200–1,000 m (650–3,300 ft).

Diatomite is sedimentary rock containing a high percentage of fossil diatoms—small single-celled algae, which commonly live near the ocean surface. The layer of diatomite in Peru has 5 to 10% clay and abundant volcanic ash.

Today, when diatoms die, their silica skeletons accumulate on the ocean floor. One gram (0.035 oz.) of diatomite may contain up to 400 million skeletons.4 Diatomite sediment normally accumulates slowly—only a few centimetres per thousand years.1Even where the rate is higher, such as in some shallow-water areas, accumulation is still slow. For example, in the fjords of British Columbia, diatoms and clay accumulate at 2.5–5.0 mm (0.1–0.2 inches) per year.2

Also today, when a whale carcass sinks to the bottom of the ocean, many kinds of scavengers quickly attack and colonize it. And in their quest for food, some scavengers churn up the adjacent sediments.5

However, in Peru, the fossilized whales and diatoms were well preserved and the whale skeletons were mostly intact. There was no evidence of normal decay, such as wormholes, barnacle encrustations or general degradation. Neither was there any sign that organisms had churned up the adjacent sediment."

http://creation.mo bi/dead-whales-telling-tales

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:

"A remarkable fossil find has been found in Peru: 346 whales buried in diatomaceous earth. The preservation of the whales is so pristine and complete, the authors of the paper in the Feb. 2004 issue of Geology1 conclude that the whales had to be buried rapidly, in days or weeks. If so, it represents a rate of accumulation of diatoms many times higher than what occurs in modern oceans.
The authors point out some amazing things about this fossil deposit:
Condition: The whale skeletons are “preserved in pristine condition (bones articulated [i.e., still assembled] or at least closely associated), in some cases including preserved baleen.”
Fine details:“The most complete whale (WCBa 20) was fully articulated; the microscopic detail of its baleen was preserved … and there is black, heavy-mineral replacement of the spinal cord and some intervertebral disks. There were no similar minerals in the surrounding sediment. These nonbony tissues were still present when the whale was completely buried.” Other instances of baleen, the delicate straining structure of the whale’s mouth, were also found.
Vertical extent:“The 346 whales within ~1.5 km2 of surveyed surface were not buried as an event, but were distributed uninterrupted through an 80-m-thick sedimentary section.” Since they were found uniformly distributed from bottom to top of the formation, the conditions in which they were buried must have also been uniform.
Unlaminated strata:“The diatomaceous sediment lacks repeating primary laminations, but instead is mostly massive, with irregular laminations and speckles.” In other words, it was not due to a cyclic process, like the annual climate change that produces tree rings.
Lack of bioturbation: Small organisms have not altered the deposit.“There is no evidence for bioturbation by invertebrates in the whale-bearing sediment.” Apparently they didn’t have the chance, it happened so fast.
Intact diatoms:“If most diatoms dissolve before preservation in the sediment, one would find frustules in all stages of dissolution. Diatoms in the Pisco diatomaceous sediment are often broken, but SEMstudy indicated fine preservation, with no significant evidence of dissolution.… In the shallow-water Pisco Formation, the diatoms were probably buried too quickly for much dissolution to occur.” The authors point out that in contemporary diatom deposits, only 2–3% of the frustules (glass shells) usually remain undissolved, up to 24% in special cases in Antarctica."
http://crev.info/2004/02/hundreds_of_whales_b...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 76,661 - 76,680 of112,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••