Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#80641 Mar 13, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>Wow Cybele, I had somewhat respected your posts since you seemed to be educated, but this one totally blows your credibility out the window. No need to try to be hurtful, you obviously read into Dude's post incorrectly. There were no slurs in his post, it actually was very accurate and intellegent. Your retort was nothing more that stone throwing, and should be reported.
Report what? You dork

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#80642 Mar 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Cruithne - moon or asteroid?
Asteroid, but very very cool!

Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#80643 Mar 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Asteroid, but very very cool!
Thank you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne
Cool indeed

http://www.astro.uwo.ca/~wiegert/3753/3753.ht...

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#80644 Mar 13, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget prejudice on the part of chat forums and such who engage in deliberate censorship that has nothing to do with their rules.
TOPIX rigs their forums. This is nothing but staged propaganda.
You are wildly paranoid.

If you stop to think about the number of forums, and the number of threads within those forums and the rate to which new posts are added to threads, in order for Topix to censor forums they would need to employ MILLIONS of people worldwide just to keep up.

OR, they could have an automated censor that deletes repeat posts and checks on posts that have been flagged as offensive. Then they would need to employ ~50 people.

Since NONE of us pay to be here, which model do you think they use?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#80645 Mar 13, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several competing theories on this one. it is quite possible that gravity is an aspect of the multi-verse and that nearby 'universes' interact via gravity, even if the other forces are limited to the 'brane' of our universe. This is a fairly common prediction of string theory. The difficulty, as always, is figuring out a way to unambiguously detect such effects.
Another possibility posits a symmetry between the types of particles in our universe and another collection of particles with essentially the same properties, but where the other collection and ours interact only via gravity. This was more popular about 25 years ago when the E8xE8 theories were in favor. In this view, there would be a sort of 'mirror universe' with properties very similar to ours: galaxies, stars, etc, but that primarily interacts with our universe via gravity. The hope would be that the mirror particles would show up in our accelerators. This has even been proposed as an explanation for dark matter.
So, the possibility of other universes interacting with our only via gravity has been around for a while. How to test and verify this is the biggie.

One of my own, off the cuff, ideas is that maybe dark energy is the gravity of a parallel universe spilling over into our universe only inverted. Likewise our gravity would appear as dark energy in that universe.

Of course, on closer examination my idea does not seem to pan out as you would expect to see dark energy distributed the same way (though not necessary in the same places), as matter in our own universe.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#80646 Mar 13, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my own, off the cuff, ideas is that maybe dark energy is the gravity of a parallel universe spilling over into our universe only inverted. Likewise our gravity would appear as dark energy in that universe.
Of course, on closer examination my idea does not seem to pan out as you would expect to see dark energy distributed the same way (though not necessary in the same places), as matter in our own universe.
i had a similar thought avbout that after reading some articles about how the effects of gravity seem to be 'missing' in many areas...

Could it be that the matter in another dimension is not in the same areas, so the gravitational effects in ours would not align with our matter?

things to ponder...

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#80647 Mar 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The New York Times gets a lot of things wrong, a lot of things. You are depending on a periodical, that's almost entirely opinion, for scientific news? You are an idiot.
What are you trying to say, you liar.
Are you calling a registered and seasoned broadcasting firm, liars?
You are a liar ofcourse!

St. Croix valley

#80648 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What are you trying to say, you liar.
You are a liar ofcourse!
Oh boy....Chaz is back...

Level 2

Location hidden

#80649 Mar 13, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh boy....Chaz is back...
I am always around, but just don't want to post. Thanks Buddy!

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#80650 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
You say it's a lie. You say it's folklore. You know they taught Pluto to be a planet until 5 or 6 years ago. Science is not without flaw. They discredit theories and things known to be "facts" often. Fact is science does not offer proof without question the "how"
Evolution you say? Why one species to evolve to that with the intelligence of the human level yet no other species? No other species can homogenize milk, build a cell phone, transplant a heart, create devices like pacemakers, bypass machines etc. Apes still throw their own feces yet we are "evolved" they aren't? Ridiculousness
And you claim to be a scientist! For shame.

St. Croix valley

#80651 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am always around, but just don't want to post. Thanks Buddy!
it wasn't an exclamation of joy...

i can see why you wouldn't post. "god did it" gets pretty boring to say over and over...

St. Croix valley

#80652 Mar 13, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
And you claim to be a scientist! For shame.
Worse, he claims to be a physician...scary beyond scooby-doo!
it sounds like the same guy who claims to be aphysician but has not one understanding of anything scientific...

probably files health insurance forms all day...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#80653 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I'm a physician. I'm sure I remember taking a science class or two. Lol. Just because I believe differently from you doesn't make me a fool. Why such hostility towards those who have faith and choose to believe as they see fit?
You write:
"Really? I'm a physician."

You hold a doctorate in medicine?? Yet you still believe in the 'personal' God of the Hebrews that sees fit to meddle in the personal affairs of a wandering tribe of bronze age goat herders.

A God who determines that women who give birth are 'unclean' for 7 days after the birth of a male child and 14 days for a female child.

As a physician you believe that a God created the universe, earth and all that's in it, 6,000 years ago.

That God created Adam and Eve, a couple from which the whole human race descended.

That some 4,500 years ago God caused a world-wide flood that left only 8 people on earth to rebuild a civilization.

That God came to earth (along with the 'Holy Spirit') in the form of a human child that grew up to be the 'Messiah' or the 'Savior' of mankind from 'Original Sin.'

So, as a physician you believe all these things (and more) from the fundamentalists with whom you align yourself with?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80654 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What are you trying to say, you liar.
You are a liar ofcourse!
Leave the irony meters alone Chuck.
Wow

Blytheville, AR

#80655 Mar 13, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Worse, he claims to be a physician...scary beyond scooby-doo!
it sounds like the same guy who claims to be aphysician but has not one understanding of anything scientific...
probably files health insurance forms all day...
It's "she" and might I add that being offensive doesn't make you appear intelligent, just arrogant and full of hate for your fellow man based on their beliefs (which they are entitled to):)
Also, I'm an ER physician. If it pleases you we can switch the subject to that of hemodynamics, cardiogenic shock, STEMI's vs nonSTEMI's etc or would you like to copy and paste a Wikipedia link on all that info as well? Seems to me you are quite fond of the copy and paste phenomenon trying to appear more intelligent than you actually are.

Level 2

Location hidden

#80656 Mar 13, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it wasn't an exclamation of joy...
i can see why you wouldn't post. "god did it" gets pretty boring to say over and over...
That is not my business. Face the facts.

Level 2

Location hidden

#80657 Mar 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave the irony meters alone Chuck.
Irony!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80658 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Irony!
Yes, irony. Meters. You are a danger to them. Leave 'em alone.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80659 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
You say it's a lie. You say it's folklore. You know they taught Pluto to be a planet until 5 or 6 years ago. Science is not without flaw.
What flaw? It would still be valid if we still called it a planet. You DO realise that labels are arbitrary, yes? In the case of Pluto scientists decided to redefine the label to be more useful. Pluto has not changed. And the label did not change because of some sudden drastic thing that we didn't know before.

But sure, science can be flawed. And you know what discovers those flaws? Science. Not apologetics from ignorant pseudo-science promoters sitting on their fat collective azzes complaining about reality because it doesn't line up with their baseless religious beliefs.
Wow wrote:
They discredit theories and things known to be "facts" often. Fact is science does not offer proof without question the "how"
Yes, science adjusts to accomodate new evidence as it is discovered. That's what separates science from religious dogma. If it weren't for science you'd still be claiming the Earth is flat just like the Bible says it is.
Wow wrote:
Evolution you say? Why one species to evolve to that with the intelligence of the human level yet no other species?
Well one had to be first. And history shows we've killed anything else that was close.
Wow wrote:
No other species can homogenize milk, build a cell phone, transplant a heart, create devices like pacemakers, bypass machines etc. Apes still throw their own feces yet we are "evolved" they aren't? Ridiculousness
You're right, that is ridiculous. All species currently alive on this planet are just as evolved as each other. It could not possibly be any other way. Anyone who understands even the very basics of evolution would know this. Yet here you are arguing against goal-directed evolution, which is only one of two things - a straw-man caricature invented by fundies who are too intellectually cowardly to address the real thing, or a demonstration of complete ignorance of the subject at hand. Usually it's both. So just in case if you happen to be someone who claims to have had some genuine qualifications in biology I suggest you don't bother trying.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80660 Mar 13, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Written by a sixth grader?, that explains why it went over your head,ha,ha,ha.
It certainly went over yours. You're an intellectually stunted dwarf so everything goes over your head.(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 1 min Hoosier Hillbilly 30,299
Square Enix and DONTNOD announce 'Life is Stran... 36 min jogosdokizi 1
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven reveal... 37 min jogosdokizi 1
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr Mega Monster 7,522
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Roy 152,429
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 2 hr Trouser Cough 55,257
I Like..... (Mar '14) 2 hr andet1987 476
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 3 hr poopie 116
Is it possible to....... 3 hr Dr Wu 542
"OLD SAYINGS" - - - Feel free to post them here... 3 hr Dr Wu 77
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 3 hr wichita-rick 166
More from around the web