Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 164714 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#80603 Mar 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I never questioned anything about different species living together like the neanderthals and homo sapiens.
My point was, if the rhodesian men lived long enough, spanning 3 different epochs, then how come there are no real evidence and yet there are evidence for fossils that predated rhodesians.
And why is the kabwe skull a replica? What is the point of that?
Fossilization of land based animals is extremely hit and miss. There could easily be fairly popular species that we have very few fossils of and not very populous species that we have several fossils of.

There is no law of fossilization that say animals have to be preserved.

There could be species or subspecies that we never find.

And I did not read enough to know what the kabwe skull is.
Wow

United States

#80604 Mar 12, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You write:
"Both evolution and Intelligent Design Theory should be taught in school.
We already teach evolution because we KNOW it to be true. If you want to teach creationism/religion in school make a separate class. Creationism/religion is folklore....NOT science by any stretch of the imagination.
You write:
"Belief in evolution causes one to wonder if he or she will cease to exist or will suffer torture eternally in hell.
No, this is a lie. Why should they fear Hell unless you sick people lodge this in their conscious. There is no hell....or heaven for that matter.
You say it's a lie. You say it's folklore. You know they taught Pluto to be a planet until 5 or 6 years ago. Science is not without flaw. They discredit theories and things known to be "facts" often. Fact is science does not offer proof without question the "how"
Evolution you say? Why one species to evolve to that with the intelligence of the human level yet no other species? No other species can homogenize milk, build a cell phone, transplant a heart, create devices like pacemakers, bypass machines etc. Apes still throw their own feces yet we are "evolved" they aren't? Ridiculousness
Wow

United States

#80605 Mar 12, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You have absolutely no grasp of science....and neither does your sources
It seems to me, you are the one lacking sir with all due respect.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#80606 Mar 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Fossilization of land based animals is extremely hit and miss. There could easily be fairly popular species that we have very few fossils of and not very populous species that we have several fossils of.
There is no law of fossilization that say animals have to be preserved.
There could be species or subspecies that we never find.
And I did not read enough to know what the kabwe skull is.
When I first saw it, alien came to mind. Why is that? And then I go find a video on you tube on Kabwe skull, and it did talk about aliens. Strange.

Either the aliens planted them or the Europeans shot them. lol

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#80607 Mar 12, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Then a machine with no eyes, brain or mind stands a better chance to reconstruct the past?
You are a clown( tramp)!
So you are saying a person is a better eyewitness than camera with audio?

If I was a prosecutor, I'd be delighted to have you. No better way to bump up my numbers than to get fools like you to sit on a jury.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#80608 Mar 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul was the first marketing and advertising executive.
Can't say he was the first, but longest lasting and profitable venture capital risk? Take a look at the treasures of the Vatican and Protestant subsidiaries to see how the returns worked out.

It's a shame that Jesus didn't exploit his God omniscience to create an omnibenevolent religious monopoly without the use of secular military force. Mysterious ways, indeed.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#80609 Mar 12, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
You say it's a lie. You say it's folklore. You know they taught Pluto to be a planet until 5 or 6 years ago. Science is not without flaw. They discredit theories and things known to be "facts" often. Fact is science does not offer proof without question the "how"
Evolution you say? Why one species to evolve to that with the intelligence of the human level yet no other species? No other species can homogenize milk, build a cell phone, transplant a heart, create devices like pacemakers, bypass machines etc. Apes still throw their own feces yet we are "evolved" they aren't? Ridiculousness
You're a fool. You need to take some science classes, read some books, do something to bring your IQ level up a bit.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#80610 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
If I take my watch apart, every piece... Place it into a brown paper sack and stand shaking the bag until it is again, functioning exactly as before, perfectly back together and in motion with the correct time etc.. How long do I have to stand there and shake that bag? This is what "science" would have you to believe everything "came to be" as with the Big Bang THEORY. It takes more faith to believe that than it does for me to believe in an intelligent design. Don't put so much "faith" in science as it has been flawed throughout history. Once upon a time there was an atom, the smallest thing known to man... Then they split it open and more small stuff spewed out, discrediting the atom being the smallest. Point is, we learn more and more daily... There is a place for logic and faith. Passing judgemental comments amongst one another will not mend fences only offer a path of destruction. There will always be believers and nonbelievers everyone of us hold an obligation to be humanitarians and cohabit without such contempt for one another.
AHA, the old watchmaker fallacy:

"The watchmaker analogy, watchmaker fallacy, or watchmaker argument, is a teleological argument. By way of an analogy, the argument states that design implies a designer. The analogy has played a prominent role in natural theology and the "argument from design," where it was used to support arguments for the existence of God and for the intelligent design of the universe.
The most famous statement of the teleological argument using the watchmaker analogy was given by William Paley in his 1802 book. The 1859 publication of Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection put forward an alternative explanation for complexity and adaptation, and so provided a counter-argument to the watchmaker analogy. Richard Dawkins referred to the analogy in his 1986 book The Blind Watchmaker giving his explanation of evolution."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analo...

The 747 in a junkyard fallacy:

Hoyle's Fallacy, sometimes called the junkyard tornado, is a term for Fred Hoyle's statistical analysis applied to evolutionary origins, in which he compares the probability of cellular life evolving to the chance of a tornado "sweeping through a junkyard" and assembling a functional aeroplane.[1][2][3] Similar observations predate Hoyle and have been found all the way back to Darwin's time.[1]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyle 's_fallacy

Your crappy watch argument has been around since 1802 or thereabouts.

You know, you need to think about this: The theory/fact of evolution has been around since 1859 and has been attacked constantly, EVERY DAY since then. However all the scientific organizations on EARTH stand by it and recognize that it is true.

Do you think these scientists many of whom hold PhD's and Masters degrees in their field and spend their whole life learning and practicing science, don't know more than you about evolution and related fields?

Do you really think scientists are just yahoo's making stuff up?

Come on, answer that.

Show us your ignorance.

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#80611 Mar 13, 2013
They thought it to be a Planet? Who are they and who changed the dwarf from it's position anyway?

Level 6

in a city...

#80612 Mar 13, 2013
They took Pluto and placed him in a different group does anyone know why?

Level 6

in a city...

#80613 Mar 13, 2013
IQ intellectual questions...

and answers too...

Level 6

in a city...

#80614 Mar 13, 2013
So what was Pluto a Giant at one time or what?

Down here he's considered a cartoon dog...

Do dogs drive in heaven???

Level 6

in a city...

#80615 Mar 13, 2013
Ok well night happy dreams of the Universe..

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#80616 Mar 13, 2013
Tinka wrote:
Yes, Mickey got mad because Pluto kept crapping in the backyard.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#80617 Mar 13, 2013
Tinka wrote:
Educate yourself
http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/...
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#80618 Mar 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Mickey got mad because Pluto kept crapping in the backyard.
My dog Sheppie needs to learn some manners in that regard, I put a sign on his dog box that read WIPE YOUR FEET.:)

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#80619 Mar 13, 2013
Tinka wrote:
If you are talking about the planetoid, Pluto's classification was changed for several reasons, the most important was it's non-standard orbit. Another reason is that they have discovered there is more in that same orbital range than just Pluto, there's a much larger planetoid they want to study out there but due to a lack of sunlight it's ... difficult. Yes, for much of Pluto's orbit the light from our sun is not strong enough to reach it.
Wow

United States

#80620 Mar 13, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a fool. You need to take some science classes, read some books, do something to bring your IQ level up a bit.
Really? I'm a physician. I'm sure I remember taking a science class or two. Lol. Just because I believe differently from you doesn't make me a fool. Why such hostility towards those who have faith and choose to believe as they see fit?
Wow

United States

#80622 Mar 13, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
AHA, the old watchmaker fallacy:
"The watchmaker analogy, watchmaker fallacy, or watchmaker argument, is a teleological argument. By way of an analogy, the argument states that design implies a designer. The analogy has played a prominent role in natural theology and the "argument from design," where it was used to support arguments for the existence of God and for the intelligent design of the universe.
The most famous statement of the teleological argument using the watchmaker analogy was given by William Paley in his 1802 book. The 1859 publication of Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection put forward an alternative explanation for complexity and adaptation, and so provided a counter-argument to the watchmaker analogy. Richard Dawkins referred to the analogy in his 1986 book The Blind Watchmaker giving his explanation of evolution."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analo...
The 747 in a junkyard fallacy:
Hoyle's Fallacy, sometimes called the junkyard tornado, is a term for Fred Hoyle's statistical analysis applied to evolutionary origins, in which he compares the probability of cellular life evolving to the chance of a tornado "sweeping through a junkyard" and assembling a functional aeroplane.[1][2][3] Similar observations predate Hoyle and have been found all the way back to Darwin's time.[1]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyle 's_fallacy
Your crappy watch argument has been around since 1802 or thereabouts.
You know, you need to think about this: The theory/fact of evolution has been around since 1859 and has been attacked constantly, EVERY DAY since then. However all the scientific organizations on EARTH stand by it and recognize that it is true.
Do you think these scientists many of whom hold PhD's and Masters degrees in their field and spend their whole life learning and practicing science, don't know more than you about evolution and related fields?
Do you really think scientists are just yahoo's making stuff up?
Come on, answer that.
Show us your ignorance.
I'm betting you had issues as a child in the play yard not getting along with others. So we've established you put your faith or lack there of in science and that you know how to use google. Apart from that I can't really see any logic, just hatred for believers alike. Sad. Good luck with your endeavors in life and God bless ;)

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#80623 Mar 13, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
None of these has even ...REMOTELY caused anything close to life! has it. They are total failures!, you are just a liar for the goo trying to cloak your faith in it with pseudo faith based theories as a cover.You haven't had any credibility here since you stated that something that was alive then dead, couldn't come back to life yet something that was never alive could spring to life.You are simply a victim of willful blindness driven by a locomotive of denial which you will stay on at all costs.
Its funny, that when I read these type of retorts I picture the author with their eyes forced closed and their fingers in their ears yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 5 min andet1987 8,298
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 8 min beatlesinafog 719
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 8 min PeanutButtercup 11,458
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 10 min PeanutButtercup 32,105
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 18 min andet1987 4,587
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 21 min DILF 41,707
unjumble - jumble 6 letter words 23 min DILF 379
News 'John Wayne Day' in Texas Honors Actor's 108th ... 23 min TALLYHO 8541 104
What Could Be Hot? 25 min DILF 228
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 40 min I Am No One_ 163,242